• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZeRo's mystery announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
No, if you legally purchase a game, you are entitled to one copy for backup. It's common sense to allow a backup in case one game gets scratched or broken somehow.
If the game has a EULA saying that you can't do that, you can't do that. Realistically, no lawyer is going to show up at your door for making a copy of one of your game discs, but you're still technically committing copyright infringement. Also, if there is there no EULA, then there is no limit as to how many copies you can make for backup. It would be considered a fair use, so long as you are not distributing them.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
So were you chosen to be on the dev team for winning the tournament. :D

Last edited:

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
So maybe we're gonna get a Melee mode, with melee mechanics and all. If that's the case, this game will catter absolutely every smash player in the world and would be the perfect Smash game.

nessokman

Smash Lord
If the game has a EULA saying that you can't do that, you can't do that. Realistically, no lawyer is going to show up at your door for making a copy of one of your game discs, but you're still technically committing copyright infringement. Also, if there is there no EULA, then there is no limit as to how many copies you can make for backup. It would be considered a fair use, so long as you are not distributing them.
*facepalm*

You are always entitled to a copy of work that you payed for and own. Even nintendo's website says that:

"The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic"

Project M is actually illegal In many ways by nintendo's standards,
I believe they put songs from melee into project M.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
So maybe we're gonna get a Melee mode, with melee mechanics and all. If that's the case, this game will catter absolutely every smash player in the world and would be the perfect Smash game.

No, a compromise has to be made, the game could lean a little more towards Melee, but alternate modes would just divide the fanbase even more.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
*facepalm*

You are always entitled to a copy of work that you payed for and own. Even nintendo's website says that:

"The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic"

What? When you buy a game you don't own it, you just have a licence to use it.
Modding a game isn't illegal becasue you're allowed to do whatever you want to things you've purchased, including video games, even though you're just licensed to use the software.

As for Nintendo's standards, I know in Australia at least any condition set forth by a company that goes against consumer law is void. That means even if they deemed it criminal to mod, they couldn't do anything about it.

There might be other things that Project M is doing illegally, but just modding Brawl isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
*facepalm*

Correct. That exception exists in the law. My statement was that you can contract around it with a EULA. According to Nintendo and virtually every software distributor, you don't own the game.

From Nintendo:
You may use the software, content, and data that came with your Wii U or that is compatible with and authorized for use on your Wii U, including any updates or replacement to that software, content, or data that we or our authorized providers make available to you (collectively, the "Software") subject to the terms of this Section. The Software is licensed, not sold, to you solely for your personal, noncommercial use on your Wii U. You may not publish, copy, modify, reverse engineer, lease, rent, decompile, or disassemble any portion of the Software

nessokman

Smash Lord
What? When you buy a game you don't own it, you just have a licence to use it.
Modding a game isn't illegal becasue you're allowed to do whatever you want to things you've purchased, including video games, even though you're just licensed to use the software.

As for Nintendo's standards, I know in Australia at least any condition set forth by a company that goes against consumer law is void. That means even if they deemed it criminal to mod, they couldn't do anything about it.

There might be other things that Project M is doing illegally, but just modding Brawl isn't one of them.
Oh my god...

When you BUY a freaking game, you OWN it. You posses a copy of that video game. You are legally allowed to make a copy of it for storage, but distribution of the copies is illegal.

Project M might use music not in brawl, if it does, that would be illegal.
Correct. That exception exists in the law. My statement was that you can contract around it with a EULA. According to Nintendo and virtually every software distributor, you don't own the game.

From Nintendo:
I don't think a few words like that can loop around a copyright law, I feel like asking the big N themselves over it.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
As long as nintendo doesn't shut down PM tournaments I will be happy. If anything affects PM in a negative way I will be sad.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
Oh my god...

When you BUY a freaking game, you OWN it. You posses a copy of that video game. You are legally allowed to make a copy of it for storage, but distribution of the copies is illegal.

Project M might use music not in brawl, if it does, that would be illegal.

I don't think a few words like that can loop around a copyright law, I feel like asking the big N themselves over it.

Everything in your post is wrong. I'm sorry to be the one that has to tell you this.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I haven't read every post but what if.... and I mean what if Zero had been selected to help beta test the next smash. That would be amazing for him and for the whole scene. It also doesn't directly effect Nintendo.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Hey! To clarify: That combo is: Down B kick hit, into D-Smash x2, into dash attack up air, into juggle. Powerful!

About the announcement: I can't comment yet, but please don't assume anything. It's just something exciting for me and the scene, and all the Smash games (That's more of what I meant). I couldn't announce it tonight due to reasons I can't say, but I will in a different ocassion when I can.
Can you give us hope that the mechanics/meta game will be more in depth than smash brothers brawl?

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
Copyright laws are on my side.
I wish they were. I would prefer it if when I bought a game, I owned the game and not a license. However that simply isn't how it works. Anyway, don't want to get too far off topic. If you wish to continue discussing intellectual property you can PM me.

Dan-Da-Man

Smash Journeyman
So much stupid speculation about smash 4 even though the reddit page clearly says its for all the smash games, not related to nintendo at all, and about the community as a whole

JediLink

Smash Ace
I don't get why he can't just say it. I mean, obviously there's some reason that I don't know about, but I don't know what that reason is. It probably has to do with the subject matter of the announcement, which I also don't know about. All I know is that I don't know anything.

This is killing me.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Yeah, jokin' aside, It's probably actually about something boring like events and tournaments or something.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
The announcement is that he probably got chosen to have input on Smash 4. Either that or selected as some kind of liaison between the Smash community and Nintendo (which can include helping to organize official tournaments). That would best fit the description of "It's about the scene as a whole and also involves me :)" and also why Nintendo doesn't want him to say anything yet (until details are worked out or something)

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
I wish they were. I would prefer it if when I bought a game, I owned the game and not a license. However that simply isn't how it works. Anyway, don't want to get too far off topic. If you wish to continue discussing intellectual property you can PM me.
I think I'll call customer support and ask, if nothing it'll give me a laugh confusing them.

JediLink

Smash Ace
Hey Zero, if Nintendo asks you for input, be a bro and throw us Melee players a bone, okay? Dash dancing please. Dash cancels please. Aerial momentum please. Just proper movement options in general, I guess. Oh, and don't forget about putting platforms in For Glory if they haven't done that yet.

This is, of course, assuming this is what this is about.

EDIT: Oh, and reduced landing lag. Can't forget about that.

Last edited:

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Hey Zero, if Nintendo asks you for input, be a bro and throw us Melee players a bone, okay? Dash dancing please. Dash cancels please. Aerial momentum please. Just proper movement options in general, I guess. Oh, and don't forget about putting platforms in For Glory if they haven't done that yet.

This is, of course, assuming this is what this is about.

EDIT: Oh, and reduced landing lag. Can't forget about that.
If it doesn't involve Nintendo i can not it being letting him have input.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
If it has "nothing to do with Nintendo," then what's stopping him from telling everyone what it is?

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Guys, I know all this speculation is cool and all, but seriously, you guys need to stop asking Zero questions. Point blank, he isn't allowed to tell us whatever it is he knows at the moment, so don't try to pry out any extra info. What he's already mentioned alone (something exciting for the new metagame), I think, is hype enough to know on its own. Just don't make the man feel uncomfortable or anything; if he accidentally spills too much, it could jeopardize whatever position he's in right now. And it's a very important position too: we as a Smash community have never had an opportunity this big before; don't ruin it before it's even begun.

And to Zero, congrats on everything, man. You played like a real champ out there!

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I feel as though this announcement is going to be a disappointment...hopefully I'm wrong, but I simply can't shake the feeling.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
"All characters now have a scarf alt."

You heard it here.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I feel as though this announcement is going to be a disappointment...hopefully I'm wrong, but I simply can't shake the feeling.
Lol the announcement: "Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is coming out February 21."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom