• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZENITH 2014 - Aug 2-3 - Brooklyn, NY

caneut

Smash Ace
are you talking about your commentary or your play? dont be like m2k and ask us noobs how your game is. just use your koroshiyo powers

-edit: @ mixa mixa add this to the quotes

cobr: "shoutouts to their [kero/stranded] sister"
cobr and z were taking shots left and right.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Kero I'm cheering for you so I wanna help out, but I'm not sure what I could say. ;-;

I think various times against Killer's Kirby, you either were too impatient, or chose a risky option.
One instance I remember, Killer baited you real hard. He was landing nearish center stage, and you were near the ledge, you went for a dash dance grab, and he down tilted + edgeguarded you. (PICTURE: http://puu.sh/aCm3g/efa58c0d7c.jpg)

I guess what I want to say is, go back to neutral? Something like that.

Good luck tomorrow!

Sedda

Smash Champion
@ KeroKeroppi KeroKeroppi

Against Boom... We all know you're super positive and confident about being able to beat anyone, but the most your should be doing against him is to just focus and think 100% of the time. Try to learn from his tournament play.
Try doing one thing, and if it doesn't work, you have to know why it didn't work right away and MOVE ON to the next thing. See what can work. If nothing works, know why.

I know that you KNOW all this, but I want you to keep it in mind. If you get annoyed by Boom outsmarting you, you will lock yourself down and won't be looking out for things to learn.

Other than that, you know the drill. Be confident. Sometimes it's better to wait and see what happens. Don't get hit. Try to use easy punishes if it means you will be guaranteed to get them. I'm also rooting for you (and the Z because yes). Best of luck

Last edited:

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
thanks guys <3
One instance I remember, Killer baited you real hard. He was landing nearish center stage, and you were near the ledge, you went for a dash dance grab, and he down tilted + edgeguarded you.
lmaooo i got caught with that **** like 5 times

I know that you KNOW all this, but I want you to keep it in mind. If you get annoyed by Boom outsmarting you, you will lock yourself down and won't be looking out for things to learn.
i base my smash training on something sk once said

"play to learn, not to win"

learning will lead to winning, it's not always the same the other way around

sometimes i get caught up in the moment and i forget what is most important

thank you for reminding me

you guys are the best! your advice is greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Just finished watching the recording. Great games, good stuff guys! And thanks mixa for summing it up.

Is there a link to updated pools somewhere?

Oh and is Isai there?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
imma have a drink of this coconut water to see if I can improve as much as kero

hopefully i don't drink it too fast and choke :roll:

jk kero i luv u ggs

zenith top 8 was mad good

good stuff

Sedda

Smash Champion
yup top 8 of this was more enjoyable than Apex. everybody playing scared at Apex xD

gg's Kero. Your only fault was beating yourself down after that first game. looking forward to your performance at apex

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
kero did great, i really felt bad for him losing that first match in grand finals

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
hope ya'll enjoyed the matches that were on stream. sorry i couldn't update as much as i wanted to, i was pretty damn busy. ****'s a rough job and it takes a lot of time and effort. i think i'll be sticking to commentary from now on.

anyway i lost in bracket immediately. chokevolution performing ****ty in bracket at a major, smh

at least i can say i have a bcow ragequit under my belt now

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
This tournament was a lot of fun.

Didn't do as well in Teams as I liked (we both choked so f***ing much) but pools/singles/friendlies were a lot of fn.

Shoutouts to the auto-pausing frame-by-frame 64 play on Sunday

atleast koro has SOMEONE good.
yes I did :troll:

Last edited:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Props to Solo for not only alting, but using my reputation to deceive people into thinking it was me. Though I'd never put my location as FL lol.

You are a hero in my book. Right behind known alter Prince.

Did his alting ruin the tourney, guys? battlecattle? Your own region alts, how does that make you feel?

Great job to Kero. Good job Wizzy. And Z. And everyone else.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
So I rode up to the tournament with a bunch pf PM guys and so I also rode back with them. Well on the way back I asked everyone in the car how they did in pools and bracket. One of the guys was saying how he made bracket and won his pool but how he almost lost a set in his first round pool to a sheik main that used a keyboard instead of a controller and had "God like DI". He said he thought that kind of DI was the stuff of myth and legend and only a theoretical possibility with TAS. This sheik main was none other than our very own Killer.

Tournament was great, venue was very nice, location was terrible. Had a lot of fun. Congrats to everyone in top 8. Watched some of the videos last night and will watch the rest this week. Everyone did a great job. Battlecow was incredible on commentary. Koro and I sucked in teams but totally redeemed it with some awesome frame by frame 2 stock Falcon beam sword dittos on Saffron. Friendlies were great and I liked round robin pools much more than Apex bracket pools. Happy birthday to Revan who is now legal for any of those Canadian smash ladies that might be lurking the boards. It was good seeing Jimmy Joe and Bloodpeach who both made celebrity appearances on Sunday. Can't wait for Apex, I'm going to try and start playing this game much more often so I can never lose to Stranded ever again.

Shears

Smash Master
ppl are soooooooooooooooooooooooo bias against kb DI
it's unbelivable

check out this controller german sheik DI http://www.gfycat.com/GrippingInsidiousAntelopegroundsquirrel

edit: i missed this

honorable goal
From what I was told I imagine it was DI similar to that. He said the whole match Killer was using God like DI but the one that stood out to him was when he used the falcon knee on Killer at like 120% damage which would normally be instakill and then killer DIed completely behind him and past falcons entire body and lived because of it. After Killer beat some kid with his keyboard, the guy threw his controller to the ground and accused Killer of hacking and reprogramming the game mid match with his keyboard. The bias is real.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Yo two things for @Battlecow

Your commentary was good. I actually caught you cutting off some of the people you commentated with when they were about to go on super long tangents. Good job.

You still had some bias issues, tho. The chat was hating on you for that, but overall really good as always.

Anybody else that commentated was good. Their issue was pretty much the opposite. No bias but long digression sometimes, except for @ Fireblaster Fireblaster who kept it short and sweet. I think it was @ Maliki Maliki (?) with whom he was doing commentary at some point. Both of you were really quiet. Either of you would be good with someone who talks a little bit more to balance things out. Regardless, it was good!

Kero + Cobr was good also. I think they have good chemistry. No LD/Boom on commentary afaik =( DISAPPOINTED

Also, where the **** is bloodpeach? he never posts on here anymore

edit: Forgot about jimmyjoe. He's always super solid

Last edited:

Olikus

Smash Champion
I think han solo was the best commentator at apex. Battlecow is for the most part good since he brings hype in his commentary, which sadly many of the other commentators lacks. But it can be a bit much sometimes. For example at the end of 1 match GF, where boom and kero lost allot of edguardings, it was superhype, but it got kind of killed when battlecow only scream THATS SO BAD OMG on repeat a thousands times. Try to twist it and see at as and intense nailbiter rather than trashtalk. But as said he did good overall.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I actually caught you cutting off some of the people you commentated with when they were about to go on super long tangents. Good job.
yeah, that's good.

reminds of that moment wife and toph were commentating, and wife said "what's ur opinion on wobbling", then after 30s of toph talking he says "ok ur time is over bud"

I think han solo was the best commentator at apex
i was actually happy he came out of retirement and was on the mic

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
I liked Battlecows bias, it reminded me of Bill Simmons. I understand people want completely impartial commentary, but I find the ones that take it a little more personally a lot more fun. Instead of just watching and listening to the stream, you are watching, listening, and arguing/agreeing with the stream because of it.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
i like bias, but commentators are full of **** when they say "well, he's on top 8 and i'm not so maybe i should shut up"
fake humble bs, 'cause no one is consistent with that, you always end up "BOOM GO FALCON VS MOYASHI!!!" etc

Sedda

Smash Champion
A bit of bias is fine, and obviously you can't ever get rid of opinion because then you end up with no personality. Too much is too much tho. When Wizzy lost against kero and Battlecow went "NOOOO" I was like dayum bro chill.

Some other things were funny though. The battlecattle epileptic seizures during Zenyore's combos were funny as ****. Gotta find balance

Last edited:

kys

Smash Ace
The only minor criticism I had with Battlecow's commentary was his domination of the mic. He noticeably cut off JimmyJoe a couple of times, and it felt a little awkward. Other than that, good job.

Shears

Smash Master
I haven't watched the top 8 stream with Jimmy Joe yet, but with pools, I liked it a lot. Everyone has done a great job commentating especially considering many people haven't done it before, practiced it, prepared for it, or even expected themselves to ever hop on the mic.

My top 5 SSB64 commentator power rankings:

1. Stranded/Maliki abomination
2. Stranded
3. Jimmy Joe
4. Battlecow
5. Clubba

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
It was only top 5. I had to decide between you, clubba, and solo for 5th and I think clubba has a little more knowledge of matchups, players, and the technical data so I went with him.

Updated:

0: @ Cobrevolution Cobrevolution
1. Stranded/Maliki abomination
2. Stranded
3. Jimmy Joe
4. Battlecow
5. Clubba

Better?

I'm better than you at commentating.
I really just think its so funny how stupid they sound together on the mic that its the epitome of entertainment. Its like an epic fail video that never gets old.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
much better

i haven't even tried to watch the abominable speziale commentary duo yet

i still think me/z was mejor

and shoutouts to ghetto trash *****, the best ****ing tag at zenith...probably best tag ever

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
I haven't watched all the videos from Zenith yet, so I may update my commentator power rankings later. And unfortunately, dictatordude or someone prevented the duo from commentating. On paper, they have potential to be SS tier. Hopefully at Apex they can get some stream time on the mic for early bracket games.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
much better

i haven't even tried to watch the abominable speziale commentary duo yet

i still think me/z was mejor

and shoutouts to ghetto trash *****, the best ****ing tag at zenith...probably best tag ever
People were shouting his name while watching later games of melee/pm.

It was some young white guy llllll

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Just watched everything. I think battlecow, JimmyJoe and Han Solo all did a great job commentating.

Battlecow cutting people off wasn't an issue for me, because he only did it in situations where the other commentator was going off on a tangent and not talking about the play by play. Feel like cobr went off on tangents a lot and battlecow did a good job keeping the focus on the match. There were some matches early on in the tournament where entire stocks would be taken without a single thing said about the play by play.

Overall good stuff though. Definitely some hype matches. After seeing this will definitely try to fly back for Apex.

#teamkero

Sedda

Smash Champion
**** I also forgot about the Z on commentary. Pretty chill. Long tangents but I will forgive him because of that nasty Fox combo he pulled

Top Bottom