• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's Roll Cancel Pivot Grab - Approaching Melee Marth Levels

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
She still has all the problems she had in brawl just not as bad, so this makes sense for now. Depending on what gets found for her and other characters it could move slightly up or down.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Oh my.

Well, I hope I don't break my 3DS stick doing this, but I'm now very interested...

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Hey guys I noticed i can do a roll cancel pivot grab with a forward roll (without dashing away) if i do the following:
-after doing one initial dash animation, stopping almost then doing another dash into roll into grab. Is the range of this as good?

Edit: No word on if the range of this is as good as the stanadard RC pivot grab? The range on this is definitely better than just a normal dash grab.

Last edited:

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, because of the 1.04 patch, Zelda's effectiveness with this technique has been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced.

Not only is it much more difficult to perform now timing wise, but the range has been incredibly lowered.

Extremely disappointing, but we can't do much about this! We'll just have to move forward.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Unfortunately, because of the 1.04 patch, Zelda's effectiveness with this technique has been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced.

Not only is it much more difficult to perform now timing wise, but the range has been incredibly lowered.

Extremely disappointing, but we can't do much about this! We'll just have to move forward.
Isn't it the roll cancel itself that's been nerf, instead of Zelda's range?

I'm not good at executing this, but since the 1.0.4, whenever I do this, I slide backward, like a normal pivot grab. However, doing it at the edge of the stage prevent me from sliding, and the range is the same as before.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Goodbye Melee Marth levels.

Zelda can't have nice things, I guess.

Last edited:

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
:-(

didnt really matter much, i only managed to use it twice succesfuly in for glory, i guess i just wasnt trying enough.

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
Well yeah, not if they're bugs. This is the sort of thing that makes opponents think you're cheating.
This is smash bros.

Anything significantly cool or useful is cheating.

I for one am going to miss RC grabs, they were both useful, flashy and made enemies re-consider approaches.
R.I.P

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
Is this tech still good? Also, is it true that Usmash was heavily nerfed from Brawl? Sorry, I just haven't really played this character yet.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Is this tech still good? Also, is it true that Usmash was heavily nerfed from Brawl? Sorry, I just haven't really played this character yet.
It's not useful anymore really, far too hard to do and the range is not significantly better than her pivot grab anymore.

Also yes, it lost about 30 KBG which is HUGE for a move that only does 5% damage.

Basically it kills like, 40-50% later than it should and the first few hits had the range decreased by like, 40%.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
It's not useful anymore really, far too hard to do and the range is not significantly better than her pivot grab anymore.

Also yes, it lost about 30 KBG which is HUGE for a move that only does 5% damage.

Basically it kills like, 40-50% later than it should and the first few hits had the range decreased by like, 40%.
Thanks for the quick response. That's a shame about the crazy roll cancel pivot grab, and the Up Smash. I remember that smash as being one of Zelda's few good moves in Brawl. Do you think Usmash is ever worth using in this game? Or maybe just forget about it and use Utilt in similar situations for combos?

Last edited:

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Been working on my Zelda and came across this RCPG legend. It's a shame it's not still around....or it is but just extremely difficult to pull off.

I was practicing last night and managed to get some sort of tether ranger RC pivot grab, but maybe twice out of a hundred tries.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Been working on my Zelda and came across this RCPG legend. It's a shame it's not still around....or it is but just extremely difficult to pull off.

I was practicing last night and managed to get some sort of tether ranger RC pivot grab, but maybe twice out of a hundred tries.
It's pretty much gone. And with it, Zelda's best tech.

Depending on what your opponent is doing, their hurtbox may extend into pivot grab range slightly and it ends up looking like Zelda has a great pivot grab range. She doesn't, sadly.

Last edited:

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty much gone. And with it, Zelda's best tech.

Depending on what your opponent is doing, their hurtbox may extend into pivot grab range slightly and it ends up looking like Zelda has a great pivot grab range. She doesn't, sadly.
It was against a non moving cpu. But that doesn't really matter. This seems like a dead tech. :(

Top Bottom