• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's new tier list placement

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I guess if you're not in range for your opponent to attack (nobody cares about projectiles for now), it's good.

MrEh

Smash Hero
And this is the reason that I like to approach through the air; IIRC it's about the same speed as dashing, and there's no risk of tripping.
Approaching in the air? With Zelda?

Approaching through the air is only a good option if you have an aerial that has enough range or if you're quick enough to make the said aerial safe. Marth and MK have swords, whereas Jiggs and Wario have aerial speed to retreat.

Zelda has neither range or quick aerial speed. Because of that, she's easily punished through aerial approaches since once she throws out an attack, she's forced to commit and cannot run away like Jiggs or Wario. No can she rely on any sort of range to help her out. If you approach from the air, you're going to be grabbed.

Not that I'm saying you should never approach in the air. There's always reasons to do it, but doing it all the time is crazy. (for Zelda anyway)

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
MrEh, I think in that case, approaching in the air meant simply closing distance, not jumping at someone's shield.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
but.... no one would EVER expect Zelda to JUMP at their sheild... they's probably drop the controller in shock.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
A lot of players do this auto-pilot thing of holding shield -> grabbing when someone gets close, which is not the same as waiting for the shield to be hit. With characters that have a real grab, you can jump and hope you get your grab to come out first... or if you have a good attack (Mario's Up B, Marth's Up B, Ivysaur's B), you can do that instead. That at least answers to people who auto-pilot the shield -> grab thing. Of course, if you know they're gonna do this as Zelda, it is very possible and very easy to jump at them and, right before you're in grab range, double jump to bait. If they grab like they usually do, lightning kick. If they don't, back away from them before you land in their face. You can even use Nayru's invincibility if you know the grab is coming before they hit your shield.

I have a friend up at college that plays me a lot, and this is one of the things I noticed he did. It's not a bad idea on its own, but it's very predictable and it's almost a waste of a character's OoS options UNLESS their throws are just that good. He plays Robot, yet I don't know how good his OoS game is overall because all he ever does is grab and Dsmash, which after playing someone for months on end, gives you enough experience to get out of. I eventually got him out of the habit of doing that (at least before a shield hit) with the above strategy of double jumping right before him and lightning kicking.

I like that strategy. Too bad I can't do it for **** on WiFi.

no one also expects and RAR Bair, that be even more shocking, literally.....
Villi RAR'd my Ness at 59% for a revenge kill. I actually yelled "OH F***" and didn't DI because I was so shocked.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Well, approaching in the air is by no means flawless, but whenever I do it, I feel more secure than simply dashing at them head on, because when dashing your options are more limited than if you're in the air.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Not necessarily true, especially in Zelda's case. The only B move you really, really would ever end up doing in pretty much all situations is Nayru's. The other two leave you far more vulnerable and don't answer to anything that Nayru's from the air possibly could, if you ever had to do it. Nair works every now and then if you SH towards the opponent. So do lightning kicks. You just have to be able to read your opponent, which is easier said than done.

On the ground, you have running and walking. Walking gives you more options than in the air, while running leaves you with about just as many. Either way, they still give you more options than on the ground, as Zelda.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Well, maybe it's just me then. I'm used to staying in the air a lot with my main charcters (Peach, ZSS and Jigglypuff), so perhaps I'm able to utilise Zelda's aerial options better than her ground options, even though her ground options may be superior overall. Perhaps approaching from the ground is the proper way to do it, but if so I don't really know how to do so very well (being so used to aerial approaches and all).

-Mars-

Smash Hero
To be honest Zelda is horrible at approaching eitherway, so an aerial approach isn't all that bad. Just don't continuosly try to lightning kick someones shield. In fact, empty SH's with Zelda are kind of nice because you can bait a shield from a lot of your opponents and maybe land into a grab, dtilt, or spaced fsmash.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I'm all for people using unique playstyles, but when you're in the air more often then on the ground...then you're just asking to be killed.

Nearly every S and A tier will have a field day with Zelda, minus the Ice Climbers. But against them, you wouldn't be in the air in the first place.

Top Bottom