• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Zelda Social - Still the queen of Smash...and maybe queen of low tier for a decade, too. Shall we make it two?

Are you happy with the Link Between Worlds redesign?

• Yes, she's gorgeous and expressive.

Votes: 265 65.9%
  • No, Breath of the Wild had such potential.

Votes: 56 13.9%
  • No, Twilight Princess death stare Zelda was the best design.

Votes: 45 11.2%
  • I'm happy with any design, just as long as she's viable,

Votes: 36 9.0%

• Total voters

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Something I just recently learned that's probably common knowledge is Peach can CHOOSE her Side Smash weapon now by activating the Smash and then tilting the attack upwards (P A N), sideways (club), or down (racket). I wanted to share the information just in case there's a clueless gorl like me here. eeeeeee
I'm a clueless uke gorl too.

Just the other day I was playing with a friend and we were choosing random characters. I got Peach one round, and was like, "oh. I guess they changed her F-Smash and now it's only the club..."

I'm garbage with Peach, but this seems like a nice QoL improvement/buff.

Last edited:

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
It's been a month now, I feel like it's safe to say that we aren't exactly in a top tier spot currently. We could use something truly safe on shield. Retreating Nair isn't putting in enough work, the kicks even when spaced and fast fell into the stage can still be punished by most characters unless they pick a bad option.

Also our smashes still hold the record for dropping people.

Our offstage play is amazing and possibly best in the game. It really helps us keep up at very least, but getting people off can be rough if they have a basic understanding of avoiding phantom.

Been forever since I've gotten internet to talk to you all. Would love to know what I've been missing out on.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
If yew are a TRUE sistren, you know what the title really means.

Tag him, ladies.

He’s freeT, unchainT

2019, the year for new beginnings apparently

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I'm a clueless uke gorl too.

Just the other day I was playing with a friend and we were choosing random characters. I got Peach one round, and was like, "oh. I guess they changed her F-Smash and now it's only the club..."

I'm garbage with Peach, but this seems like a nice QoL improvement/buff.
yeeee

I wonder if there's any other cute things like that on other characters. Like I know Simon/Richter can angle their Fair/Bairs

It's been a month now, I feel like it's safe to say that we aren't exactly in a top tier spot currently. We could use something truly safe on shield. Retreating Nair isn't putting in enough work, the kicks even when spaced and fast fell into the stage can still be punished by most characters unless they pick a bad option.

Also our smashes still hold the record for dropping people.

Our offstage play is amazing and possibly best in the game. It really helps us keep up at very least, but getting people off can be rough if they have a basic understanding of avoiding phantom.

Been forever since I've gotten internet to talk to you all. Would love to know what I've been missing out on.
tbh Zelda seems like a few obvious bug fixes away from being a solid mid-tier. Once her Nair is made to be like all other vacuum-y aerials and her multi-hit hitboxes are made slightly larger (to match the final hit) she should be good to go. It'd be nice to get a slight buff to Nair's stun, but I think that was intentional to prevent an easy FFNair into Elevator for 60% kills while at the edge of a stage/near the top.

Because. Y'know. Characters getting 60% kills is sooooo unheard of when they hit opponents near sides of the screen/tops of. :secretkpop:

If yew are a TRUE sistren, you know what the title really means.

Tag him, ladies.

He’s freeT, unchainT

2019, the year for new beginnings apparently
i dare not summonT ha

i'm scared pls protecc me secretkpoppy

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Got that Mayflash Magic-NS adapter yesterday. I really like it so far. It has a different color led to signify which mode it is in (PC,PS4,Switch,etc.)as well as an adapter for the adapter, so you can wire your controllers and even had a button map included. The only thing I don't like about it, is after I turn off the controller and put the Switch in sleep mode, both the adapter and the controller, turn back on for some reason. I don't know if it's because the Switch doesn't really turn off or what, but I have to unplug the adapter, after I'm done playing.

As for the controller itself, it felt...really weird. I guess two months of not using it made it feel unfamiliar for some reason. Was able to adjust after a day of playing thankfully. It feels better than the GC controller so far, except for one thing. Something is really off with the left stick and no amount of adjusting the sensitivity seems to help. Dashes don't work right and sometimes when I try to dash, it either doesn't or I go into a walk instead. I didn't have this issue in Smash 4 and don't know if the problem lies in Ultimate, the controller, or the adapter.

I don't know why it would be the adapter or Ultimate, as everything else seems to work just fine. I'd take the controller apart and give the stick's switch a thorough cleaning, but Nintendo decided it would be a neat idea to have the screws be a tri head. I've already given back the tri head screwdriver I borrowed a while ago and won't be able to do so again for a while. I suppose I can just do my best at cleaning it, without opening it up, but that will have to wait till tomorrow, as I need to sleep right now.
But I've been watching more of Hinamatsuri; that show is wholesome. I love it.
It's pretty great. It maintains its quality throughout, so if you like it now, you should like all of it.
Swiggity swooty ~ look at that booty ~
Lol at the Isabelle one.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
O rip

It was raw hitbox data for Zelda to make your eyes bleed but I mistook the permissions to see it *shrug*

I can just post it somewhere in the sub later or w/e.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
So when are we using ha Zelda Social and throwing this one in the tr4sh?

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going Goomba fans? :ultpalutena:

For some reason, I've been thinking of a moveset for Goomba if they made it into Smash over Piranha Plant. :V

And because of the stuff I left for Kokonoe and Celica. Might as well leave here. :secretkpop:

Jab - A 1, 2 Kick
Up Tilt - A headbutt similar to Pichu's Up Smash, but not as powerful.
FTilt - A kick that extends their foot. Similar to Kirby's FTilt.
Down Tilt - A low hitting headbutt
Dash Attack - Does a leaping headbutt
Neutral Air - Either a Sex Kick or spins slowly like Villager's NAir
Up Air - Sticks their head up. Similar to King K. Rool's Up Air
Forward Air - Does a Forward Spin Kick.
Back Air - Does a backwards headbutt. Similar to Wario's Back Air
Down Air - Wears a Spiked Hat and then drops down immediately. Has a Meteor Spike at the start.
Up Smash - Wears a Spiked Hat and jumps upwards. The spike on the hat is a sweetspot.
Forward Smash - Does a leaping Headbutt similar to his Dash Attack.
Down Smash - Does a breakdance via a head spin. Similar to Kirby's Dash Attack in Brawl and Wii U. The head spin is also a reference to Super Mario Galaxy, how Mario had to knock them on their heads first to defeat them.
Grab - Grabs the opponent with his mouth.
Pummel - Bites the opponent. Or kicks them with his foot.
Down Throw - Throws them onto the ground and then Bonks them akin to Paper Mario.
Forward Throw - Does a 360 spin and then throws them.
Up Throw - Headbutts them upwards.
Back Throw - Throws them to the side with his mouth.
Neutral B - Goomba powers himself up similar to Hyper Goombas in Paper Mario. Similar to WFT's Deep Breathing except without the healing. Making his next attack do 1.5x more damage.
Side B - Readies himself and then leaps, similar to the Bonk animation in Paper Mario. Is safe on shield if it hits, as Goomba will bounce off of it. Press Attack as it hits to do another Bonk, similar to Multibonk. Can control how far Goomba leaps with the Control Stick.
Up B - Goomba becomes a Paragoomba and flies. Just like in the Mario games, if he's footstooled during the animation, he'll lose his wings. He can Air Dodge and Attack out of this.
Down B - Goomba will get into a Kuribo's Shoe and hop once. Does not take Goomba's Double Jump, can be jumped out of similar to Bowser Jr.'s Side B. Has a spike at the end of the hop.
Final Smash - Charges to the opponent, if it hits; they're sent to a cinematic of King Goomba with an army of Goombas who then attack the opponent in a comedic fight cloud.

Walk - Walks sidewards similar to the original Super Mario Bros..
Run - Runs like how they did in Super Mario 64.
Crouch - Flattens himself similar to the squashed animation from Super Mario Bros..

Down Taunt - Flattens himself like his Crouch, except with an SMB Stomp sound. Pops up afterwards.
Side Taunt - Balances on one foot while looking slightly upward.
Up Taunt - Dances slightly, looking at the viewer afterwards with an open smile.

Victory Animation #1: Lands on a Spring and hops on it while joyously spinning during each jump.
Victory Animation #2: Looks around and then sees the camera and looks at the camera.
Victory Animation #3: Walks side to side similar to his sprites in Super Mario Bros..

Goomba will also be the only character to take damage from a footstool. 0.5 - 0.9% of damage per footstool.
Colour #1: Base Colour.
Colour #2: Blue Goomba based on the Underground Goombas from SMB and Gloombas from Paper Mario.
Colour #3: White Goomba based on Goomba's Appearance in Castles in Super Mario Bros..
Colour #4: Green Goomba based on Hyper Goombas from Paper Mario.
Colour #5: Gold Goomba based on the Golden Goombas from New Super Mario Bros. 2.
Colour #6: Red Goomba based on Red Goomba from Paper Mario.
Colour #7: Yellow & White Goomba based on Cat Goomba from Super Mario 3D World.
Colour #8: Takes a more circular design similar to Galoombas in Super Mario World.

There we go, more wasted ideas. Only here on Zelda Social. :secretkpop:

Anyway, I got an Online Tutorial tonight so that'll be good to look at so I can get a good grasp of what to do for my assessment. And I've finished World of Light. :yeahboi:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
So when are we using ha Zelda Social and throwing this one in the tr4sh?
Why not just merge this one into the new one that is started by ha? This way we can cheat increase the post count of the topic so Zelda social will always have the highest post count.

Stumbled into Catching Zss, yesterday, on Elite.
wut u meen

Like, your first ZSS encounter oooor? Speaking of tether grabbers, I sooooo like how Sakurai made all tether grabs faster and bigger. That's soooooo what they needed. :^)

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Who’s ha?
How's it going Goomba fans? :ultpalutena:

For some reason, I've been thinking of a moveset for Goomba if they made it into Smash over Piranha Plant. :V

And because of the stuff I left for Kokonoe and Celica. Might as well leave here. :secretkpop:

Jab - A 1, 2 Kick
Up Tilt - A headbutt similar to Pichu's Up Smash, but not as powerful.
FTilt - A kick that extends their foot. Similar to Kirby's FTilt.
Down Tilt - A low hitting headbutt
Dash Attack - Does a leaping headbutt
Neutral Air - Either a Sex Kick or spins slowly like Villager's NAir
Up Air - Sticks their head up. Similar to King K. Rool's Up Air
Forward Air - Does a Forward Spin Kick.
Back Air - Does a backwards headbutt. Similar to Wario's Back Air
Down Air - Wears a Spiked Hat and then drops down immediately. Has a Meteor Spike at the start.
Up Smash - Wears a Spiked Hat and jumps upwards. The spike on the hat is a sweetspot.
Forward Smash - Does a leaping Headbutt similar to his Dash Attack.
Down Smash - Does a breakdance via a head spin. Similar to Kirby's Dash Attack in Brawl and Wii U. The head spin is also a reference to Super Mario Galaxy, how Mario had to knock them on their heads first to defeat them.
Grab - Grabs the opponent with his mouth.
Pummel - Bites the opponent. Or kicks them with his foot.
Down Throw - Throws them onto the ground and then Bonks them akin to Paper Mario.
Forward Throw - Does a 360 spin and then throws them.
Up Throw - Headbutts them upwards.
Back Throw - Throws them to the side with his mouth.
Neutral B - Goomba powers himself up similar to Hyper Goombas in Paper Mario. Similar to WFT's Deep Breathing except without the healing. Making his next attack do 1.5x more damage.
Side B - Readies himself and then leaps, similar to the Bonk animation in Paper Mario. Is safe on shield if it hits, as Goomba will bounce off of it. Press Attack as it hits to do another Bonk, similar to Multibonk. Can control how far Goomba leaps with the Control Stick.
Up B - Goomba becomes a Paragoomba and flies. Just like in the Mario games, if he's footstooled during the animation, he'll lose his wings. He can Air Dodge and Attack out of this.
Down B - Goomba will get into a Kuribo's Shoe and hop once. Does not take Goomba's Double Jump, can be jumped out of similar to Bowser Jr.'s Side B. Has a spike at the end of the hop.
Final Smash - Charges to the opponent, if it hits; they're sent to a cinematic of King Goomba with an army of Goombas who then attack the opponent in a comedic fight cloud.

Walk - Walks sidewards similar to the original Super Mario Bros..
Run - Runs like how they did in Super Mario 64.
Crouch - Flattens himself similar to the squashed animation from Super Mario Bros..

Down Taunt - Flattens himself like his Crouch, except with an SMB Stomp sound. Pops up afterwards.
Side Taunt - Balances on one foot while looking slightly upward.
Up Taunt - Dances slightly, looking at the viewer afterwards with an open smile.

Victory Animation #1: Lands on a Spring and hops on it while joyously spinning during each jump.
Victory Animation #2: Looks around and then sees the camera and looks at the camera.
Victory Animation #3: Walks side to side similar to his sprites in Super Mario Bros..

Goomba will also be the only character to take damage from a footstool. 0.5 - 0.9% of damage per footstool.
Colour #1: Base Colour.
Colour #2: Blue Goomba based on the Underground Goombas from SMB and Gloombas from Paper Mario.
Colour #3: White Goomba based on Goomba's Appearance in Castles in Super Mario Bros..
Colour #4: Green Goomba based on Hyper Goombas from Paper Mario.
Colour #5: Gold Goomba based on the Golden Goombas from New Super Mario Bros. 2.
Colour #6: Red Goomba based on Red Goomba from Paper Mario.
Colour #7: Yellow & White Goomba based on Cat Goomba from Super Mario 3D World.
Colour #8: Takes a more circular design similar to Galoombas in Super Mario World.

There we go, more wasted ideas. Only here on Zelda Social. :secretkpop:
I absolutely adore the work you put into the Goomba move set. The footstool idea during his Up B is actually genius. Also the final smash is like the Yoshi in the Melee opening.
Now I’m wondering why Prihana Plant was chosen when Goomba and Koopa Troopa are more recognizable and are a little more conventional to design.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
BJN39 BJN39 , speaking of hitboxes, so, the developers decided to go back to their approach in Melee and Brawl for her Nair's loop hits in Ultimate, the game after autolink angles were in general, expanded and improved upon? Melee's loop hits have hit angles of 130/130/90/90 and Brawl's has if I'm reading it correctly, 150/150/90/270. Both games share the same fixed knockback of 75/75/120/50 for the loop hits. In Ultimate, according to your data, they have hit angles of 70/92/270 with no fixed knockback, but a weird overall knockback of 50/30/15 base and 80/10/10 growth. Meanwhile, in Smash 4 where Zelda's Nair's loop hits had the 366 autolink hit angles and 75 fixed knockback.

Zelda's Nair loop hits should look like this according to Kuro.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
BJN39 BJN39 , speaking of hitboxes, so, the developers decided to go back to their approach in Melee and Brawl for her Nair's loop hits in Ultimate, the game after autolink angles were in general, expanded and improved upon? Melee's loop hits have hit angles of 130/130/90/90 and Brawl's has if I'm reading it correctly, 150/150/90/270. Both games share the same fixed knockback of 75/75/120/50 for the loop hits. In Ultimate, according to your data, they have hit angles of 70/92/270 with no fixed knockback, but a weird overall knockback of 50/30/15 base and 80/10/10 growth. Meanwhile, in Smash 4 where Zelda's Nair's loop hits had the 366 autolink hit angles and 75 fixed knockback.

Zelda's Nair loop hits should look like this according to Kuro.
yep.

Kind of a waste of their time but at least we know what they did to it #NotMyNAir

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Saw these and I wanted to respond to them, but forgot.
Anyway, here’s my thoughts on Korra Book 3.
It’s a Mastapeece
Seriously though, I really loved this Book. It was so well paced, dramatic and creative. I genuinely cannot think of any serious flaws with it. I have three minor problems: I don’t like Toph being made into a bad parent. With Aang it made sense why he favored Tenzin, since he wanted to rebuild the Air Nation. I don’t understand why Toph was so poor at it. Similarly, I felt like the Suu and Lin drama went on too long. Lastly, and I know this is a really small nitpick, I wished Varrick was more prevalent in the Book. He was the best character in Book 2 and I kinda wanted him around more.

As for the good stuff. Well, we get to see KorraSami foreshadowing and the quest for the new Airbenders at the start. In my opinion, the best way to do a dark/depressing season is to start of lighthearted (See RWBY Vol 3 for a good example of this) and I loved the journey around the Earth Kingdom. Kai is fun, but nothing amazing. The siege on the Earth Queen’s palace was well-paced and nerve-wrecking. I really was worried for as silly as that sounds. I love the return of the Dai Li. Seriously, after all this time they still have no moral compass?

So Zaheer and the rest of the Red Lotus are the best Avatar villains in the whole franchise period. They actually feel like they’re right, and they work so well as a team together. It’s sorta like a dark Team Avatar, like how Unalaq was a Dark Avatar. I really like philosophical villains like Zaheer. He treated everyone around him with as much respect as he could reasonably give. I lost my mind when I saw him fly. A small thing, but I also liked the truck conversation between Bolin and Mako and Ghazan and Ming-Hua.

The characterization was just fantastic. Bolin was so fun this Volume. I think I’m beginning to like him more than Sokka due to his lack of sarcasm. It was great to see the relationship between Tenzin, the Airbenders and Jinora. Seeing Tenzin refuse to give up fighting the Red Lotus is one of the best scenes in the show so far. Still can’t say much for Mako though. He really never develops, does he?

Finally, this Book has a beautiful bittersweet ending, between Korra sinking into depression and Jinora becoming oriented as an Airbending Master. Also Janet Varney provided some great voice acting in the Red Lotus venom scene. She made the scene even more unsettling than it needed.

I give Korra Book 3 an 8/10. Absolutely brilliant.
Toph being a bad parent I think might have been because the writers wanted her to represent an extreme opposite of what her parents did. Because she was blind, her parents sheltered her like she was a fragile flower, but Toph was more than capable of being an independent person. Being an Earthbender helps too since she, like other people who have physical disabilities, was able to use it, in addition to her other senses, to compensate for her lack of sight and possibly invented the technique to sense with Earthbending. I say possibly since for all we know, there could have been other, past Earthbenders who were capable of using seismic sense, but never recorded it or weren't able to record it. Even if she were any other kind of bender or incapable of bending, Toph probably could have figured something out. The idea of a masterful, but blind or disabled martial artist is pretty common. Anyway, the point is that she had helicopter parents. Toph in turn did the opposite and took a more hands-off, free-range approach to parenting. Why? We can only guess; possibly out of fear of becoming like her parents, wanting her children to have more freedoms than she did growing up, or because of overwork as a police chief. The end result, however, is that she made the same mistakes her parents did, but through a different method.

The other thing is that the Gaang dealt with and participated in war and probably have PTSD. Except for Aang, they didn't grow up in ideal households. Katara and Sokka lost their mother while their father had to leave them to fight, Toph as noted had very controlling parents, and Zuko grew up with an abusive dad who probably contributed to Azula being even more unhinged that she should have been, also lost his mother when she was exiled, and had great expectations and arguably great failures set upon him. While Aang grew up in a loving family, Aang being the Avatar meant he had an extreme burden placed upon him and felt guilt for abandoning his duty which could have saved the Airbenders. Essentially, they're people and deeply traumatized ones at that. They had to figure out how to function just like everyone else, but with the added burdens of growing up in war, with missing parents or parental figures, duties they were expected to fulfill, and so on. Everyone carries their own burdens. Some are more extreme than others. The Legend of Korra, I guess, showed the reality of this of after a happy ending of Avatar: The Last Airbender, the Gaang wasn't all happy or their problems didn't suddenly disappear. Outside of spiritual gurus and monks, I don't think there were any professional therapists or psychiatrists and it kind of makes sense since it mirrors our world where stuff like PTSD wasn't really talked about or known to have been talked about way back in our history. That does set Zuko apart, though, since he had Iroh who was not only there to guide him in life, but also to be a father figure if not an actual father to him unlike Ozai.

Although the Beifong family feud was drawn out for you, it expanding on and building on Lin is still my favorite thing about the introduction of Suyin and her family. Lin is a tough love kind of person like her mother. She deeply cares about her friends and family even if she puts up a wall between them and acts very harsh. Reconciling with Suyin and realizing how wrong it was of her to take out her bad history with her sister on Opal, her niece, who was excited to meet her aunt and who Suyin told great things about Lin to her was as much character development to her and us, but also emphasized even that Lin is a caring person who happens to be a badass. Also, Bolin and Opal are adorable together.

Part of me wished Ghazan stayed alive just out of curiosity of what it would have been like if Bolin had a lavabending mentor. That said, he probably would have gone to jail even if he tried to reform himself or was offered the chance and he definitely did not want to go to jail considering he chose to die instead. Also, we will never learn which two of the three guesses from Bolin were true.

My only real problem with the show was Korra stopping the spirit beam. I may have forgotten something, but I don’t remember her being able to do that or preparing to do it.
Also there was more toilet humour and Meelo was worse than he was in Book 1.

Anyway, the Book was fantastic due to it’s connections with Book 3. Korra Alone is probably the best episode of the show. It’s unbelievable how much the show makes you feel for a fictional character. Otherwise, Kuvira is the second best Avatar villain, losing to Zaheer but better than everyone else. Her talk with Korra really redeemed her in my eyes. Bolin and Varrick as a comedic duo worked brilliantly. Watching them blow up the train and return to Republic City was my favorite part of the Book. Varrick’s story was the only good part of the recap episode

“Hey guys, I’m totally down with taking out Bolin. He’s way too strong. But can we please not include-“
“Not include who, Amon?”
The battle in the finale was amazing. So perfect. The mech was genuinely intimidating and the fight to enter it and take it down was nerve wrecking throughout. I genuinely thought Mako died when he attacked the spirit vines. It was a nice idea to give Asami’s father a redemption arc. See, it’s neat when they show the Books are all woven together.

I love how Toph has the same personality that she did in TLA. It’s a small thing, but I appreciate the consistency.
I didn’t care much for the Beifong family drama however,

I’ll give Book 4 an 7/10. Quite good. I feel it’s more or less on the same quality as Book 1.
I'm guessing Book 1 of The Legend of Korra was a hint to Korra being able to stop the spirit beam since she suddenly learned how to energybend from spirit Aang at the end of the Book. She also does it several times according to the wiki: http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Energybending. Energybending is like that one ultimate technique in a story that I feel like needed more backstory or explanation. It feels like it's just there and it happens.

The end of Book 3 and Book 4 definitely builds upon Korra's insecurity that was present throughout the series by putting her at rock bottom. Although Korra treasures her friends and family, she didn't realize or acknowledge that they would always be there for her no matter what. It took Aang's spirit, pretty much a miracle even for an Avatar, to bring her back on her feet and that's by giving her the ability to reclaim Earth, Fire, and Waterbending. By the end of Book 2, she lost her connection to the past Avatars and by the end of Book 3, was weakened from the mercury poisoning and traumatized from basically being tortured and almost dying. To Korra, she was truly alone when that wasn't true or rather Korra felt like there wasn't anyone, particularly the previous Avatars, to tell her what it meant to be an Avatar and ultimately, to live. That, I think is the reason to Korra's insecurity since she was or felt like she was expected to be the Avatar whatever that meant, except she herself didn't have her own answer to that. In a way, Korra resembles Zuko because of these two things. Zuko didn't realize Iroh was always there for him until too late and Zuko felt like capturing the Avatar would solve everything and was expected from him when he could have chosen to lived however he wanted.

What did you feel about Prince Wu? He starts off as obnoxious and people definitely hated him at first, but by the end of Book 4, some people came around to him after seeing how much he grew even if he's still kind of annoying. I don't remember if I had said this in a previous post about a character being very annoying and easy to write off at first, but that you should give this character some time. If I did, then I was referring to Prince Wu.

Edit: FEH. Feh.
4* M!Corrin: +Atk, -Spd.

3* Gordin: +Res, -Atk.

3* Oscar: +Res, -Def.

4* Seliph: +Atk, -Def. Merge update won't be until February, but still. Also, not sure if I want +Def or +Res considering +Atk works for attack stacking with refined Tyrfing since he can't be one-shotted at >= 50% HP with its Miracle effect and possibly even if he's doubled if he has Miracle as his special charged.

5* Tibarn: +Res, -Def. So, I kind of want Sturdy Impact for Flora and maybe someone else, but I also want Leanne and Nailah and more Tibarns in general wouldn't be bad.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going Tales of Vesperia fans? :ultlucina:

Who’s ha?

I absolutely adore the work you put into the Goomba move set. The footstool idea during his Up B is actually genius. Also the final smash is like the Yoshi in the Melee opening.
Now I’m wondering why Prihana Plant was chosen when Goomba and Koopa Troopa are more recognizable and are a little more conventional to design.
I think the issue could be that due to Goomba's lack of limbs, it could be a bit difficult to make him say grab onto ledges.

Also, I originally thought of making Goomba's Side B be a stack of Goombas, similar to how they were in Odyssey and Mario Maker. :secretkpop:
How would it work? Simple.

Make it turn into a stack of 3 Goombas, you can jump out of the stack and press B to make the stack fall forward. If the top of the stack hits and opponent, it'll meteor spike them. But it can be hit, knocking the stack apart.

Anyway, ToV is now out from what I've heard; they also had to get new voicelines for the Japanese Only DLC that they've added into the game. Well, if I do get it; I can just set it to Japanese voices and be a weeb like almost all of us here. :V

Also, I feel like I got one of the most disrespectful kills in Ultimate with Chrom (I tried getting him to Elite Smash and failed).

But I had one great zero to death and then one disrespectful kill. One against a King K. Rool, and another against a Pichu.

I tried to do Fair > Up B offstage kill against this Pichu, but I missed the timing and Pichu got out the way; tried to recover really low... Only for me to come down and get the kill on them from the Up B. It was so disrespectful.

But this King K. Rool on the otherhand, this string I got was pretty nifty. Falling NAir > Forward Tilt which sent him offstage, stage spiked him and then edgeguarded him with an Up B which killed him at 38% and I managed to make it back; it was great. Thankfully I saved those replays, if I had a capture device, I'd record those moments and probably try and post them to EMG or even StylesX2's Salt is Real series. :V

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437

4* Seliph: +Atk, -Def. Merge update won't be until February, but still. Also, not sure if I want +Def or +Res considering +Atk works for attack stacking with refined Tyrfing since he can't be one-shotted at >= 50% HP with its Miracle effect and possibly even if he's doubled if he has Miracle as his special charged.

5* Tibarn: +Res, -Def. So, I kind of want Sturdy Impact for Flora and maybe someone else, but I also want Leanne and Nailah and more Tibarns in general wouldn't be bad.
The fact that you've been keeping up summons for the past 323 summons sends me LOL

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
The best part about the bonds is that Anna's trying to turn Reyson into a bara boi like Tibarn. :^)

I wanna know who the twiggy ***** is that he ran into. Since there's so many armored lolis in the series. At least we know it's not Meg. jajaja

Zzs.

I always read it wrong.
o ok

some person

got it gorlo

Who’s ha?
The keeper of the:
Fuujin Tho.png
Fuujin Tho.png
Fuujin Tho.png
Fuujin Tho.png
Fuujin Tho.png
Fuujin Tho.png
Fuujin Tho.png

Fuujin Fuujin :secretkpop:

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Saw these and I wanted to respond to them, but forgot.

Toph being a bad parent I think might have been because the writers wanted her to represent an extreme opposite of what her parents did. Because she was blind, her parents sheltered her like she was a fragile flower, but Toph was more than capable of being an independent person. Being an Earthbender helps too since she, like other people who have physical disabilities, was able to use it, in addition to her other senses, to compensate for her lack of sight and possibly invented the technique to sense with Earthbending. I say possibly since for all we know, there could have been other, past Earthbenders who were capable of using seismic sense, but never recorded it or weren't able to record it. Even if she were any other kind of bender or incapable of bending, Toph probably could have figured something out. The idea of a masterful, but blind or disabled martial artist is pretty common. Anyway, the point is that she had helicopter parents. Toph in turn did the opposite and took a more hands-off, free-range approach to parenting. Why? We can only guess; possibly out of fear of becoming like her parents, wanting her children to have more freedoms than she did growing up, or because of overwork as a police chief. The end result, however, is that she made the same mistakes her parents did, but through a different method.

The other thing is that the Gaang dealt with and participated in war and probably have PTSD. Except for Aang, they didn't grow up in ideal households. Katara and Sokka lost their mother while their father had to leave them to fight, Toph as noted had very controlling parents, and Zuko grew up with an abusive dad who probably contributed to Azula being even more unhinged that she should have been, also lost his mother when she was exiled, and had great expectations and arguably great failures set upon him. While Aang grew up in a loving family, Aang being the Avatar meant he had an extreme burden placed upon him and felt guilt for abandoning his duty which could have saved the Airbenders. Essentially, they're people and deeply traumatized ones at that. They had to figure out how to function just like everyone else, but with the added burdens of growing up in war, with missing parents or parental figures, duties they were expected to fulfill, and so on. Everyone carries their own burdens. Some are more extreme than others. The Legend of Korra, I guess, showed the reality of this of after a happy ending of Avatar: The Last Airbender, the Gaang wasn't all happy or their problems didn't suddenly disappear. Outside of spiritual gurus and monks, I don't think there were any professional therapists or psychiatrists and it kind of makes sense since it mirrors our world where stuff like PTSD wasn't really talked about or known to have been talked about way back in our history. That does set Zuko apart, though, since he had Iroh who was not only there to guide him in life, but also to be a father figure if not an actual father to him unlike Ozai.

Although the Beifong family feud was drawn out for you, it expanding on and building on Lin is still my favorite thing about the introduction of Suyin and her family. Lin is a tough love kind of person like her mother. She deeply cares about her friends and family even if she puts up a wall between them and acts very harsh. Reconciling with Suyin and realizing how wrong it was of her to take out her bad history with her sister on Opal, her niece, who was excited to meet her aunt and who Suyin told great things about Lin to her was as much character development to her and us, but also emphasized even that Lin is a caring person who happens to be a badass. Also, Bolin and Opal are adorable together.

Part of me wished Ghazan stayed alive just out of curiosity of what it would have been like if Bolin had a lavabending mentor. That said, he probably would have gone to jail even if he tried to reform himself or was offered the chance and he definitely did not want to go to jail considering he chose to die instead. Also, we will never learn which two of the three guesses from Bolin were true.

I'm guessing Book 1 of The Legend of Korra was a hint to Korra being able to stop the spirit beam since she suddenly learned how to energybend from spirit Aang at the end of the Book. She also does it several times according to the wiki: http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Energybending. Energybending is like that one ultimate technique in a story that I feel like needed more backstory or explanation. It feels like it's just there and it happens.

The end of Book 3 and Book 4 definitely builds upon Korra's insecurity that was present throughout the series by putting her at rock bottom. Although Korra treasures her friends and family, she didn't realize or acknowledge that they would always be there for her no matter what. It took Aang's spirit, pretty much a miracle even for an Avatar, to bring her back on her feet and that's by giving her the ability to reclaim Earth, Fire, and Waterbending. By the end of Book 2, she lost her connection to the past Avatars and by the end of Book 3, was weakened from the mercury poisoning and traumatized from basically being tortured and almost dying. To Korra, she was truly alone when that wasn't true or rather Korra felt like there wasn't anyone, particularly the previous Avatars, to tell her what it meant to be an Avatar and ultimately, to live. That, I think is the reason to Korra's insecurity since she was or felt like she was expected to be the Avatar whatever that meant, except she herself didn't have her own answer to that. In a way, Korra resembles Zuko because of these two things. Zuko didn't realize Iroh was always there for him until too late and Zuko felt like capturing the Avatar would solve everything and was expected from him when he could have chosen to lived however he wanted.

What did you feel about Prince Wu? He starts off as obnoxious and people definitely hated him at first, but by the end of Book 4, some people came around to him after seeing how much he grew even if he's still kind of annoying. I don't remember if I had said this in a previous post about a character being very annoying and easy to write off at first, but that you should give this character some time. If I did, then I was referring to Prince Wu.

Thanks for these. Your analysis’s are always better written and more thought out than mine.
Prince Wu? I liked him since I think he served as a comic foil to Mako better than Bolin did. I never really had a problem with him.
Also thank you for explaining Korra bending the Spirit beam. It’s best for the climax to make sense.
I really did love LoK overall though. Even Book 2 was a lot of fun.

How's it going Tales of Vesperia fans? :ultlucina:

I think the issue could be that due to Goomba's lack of limbs, it could be a bit difficult to make him say grab onto ledges.

Also, I originally thought of making Goomba's Side B be a stack of Goombas, similar to how they were in Odyssey and Mario Maker. :secretkpop:
How would it work? Simple.

Make it turn into a stack of 3 Goombas, you can jump out of the stack and press B to make the stack fall forward. If the top of the stack hits and opponent, it'll meteor spike them. But it can be hit, knocking the stack apart.

Anyway, ToV is now out from what I've heard; they also had to get new voicelines for the Japanese Only DLC that they've added into the game. Well, if I do get it; I can just set it to Japanese voices and be a weeb like almost all of us here. :V

Also, I feel like I got one of the most disrespectful kills in Ultimate with Chrom (I tried getting him to Elite Smash and failed).

But I had one great zero to death and then one disrespectful kill. One against a King K. Rool, and another against a Pichu.

I tried to do Fair > Up B offstage kill against this Pichu, but I missed the timing and Pichu got out the way; tried to recover really low... Only for me to come down and get the kill on them from the Up B. It was so disrespectful.

But this King K. Rool on the otherhand, this string I got was pretty nifty. Falling NAir > Forward Tilt which sent him offstage, stage spiked him and then edgeguarded him with an Up B which killed him at 38% and I managed to make it back; it was great. Thankfully I saved those replays, if I had a capture device, I'd record those moments and probably try and post them to EMG or even StylesX2's Salt is Real series. :V

Goomba could bite the ledges. It would definitely look a bit silly though. And that Goomba Stack attack sounds OP and hype as hell.
The best part about the bonds is that Anna's trying to turn Reyson into a bara boi like Tibarn. :^)

I wanna know who the twiggy ***** is that he ran into. Since there's so many armored lolis in the series. At least we know it's not Meg. jajaja

o ok

some person

got it gorlo

The keeper of the:View attachment 186434View attachment 186434View attachment 186434View attachment 186434View attachment 186434View attachment 186434View attachment 186434

Fuujin Fuujin :secretkpop:
She makes me forget the site is supposed to be family friendly.

D

Deleted member 189823

I went to my first weekly here, in the U.S. I did pretty awful, and didn't help I couldn't use my own controller (Joycons). Regardless, it's not much of a john, since I got pretty re-used to GC controllers and everything I did wrong, was all me. Tournament was stacked as hell. Looks like they average 130 people for weeklies, at Versus Gaming Center. I felt pretty salty and wanted to bail by 10, but I decided that since I already payed to be there and came a long way, may as well make the most of it. Played a crapton of friendlies, afterwards. Played much better, too.

This isn't any news to anyone, and let alone exclusive, but it seems I become very unconfident in my play when I get nervous. I just don't do my thing.

S StoicPhantom Mad Duck Mad Duck

I also played pretty much every single one of Zelda's bad matchups (ee-mo). Simon/Ritcher, Inkling, Megaman, Toon Link (actually pretty doable) and about every sword character in the book. I can maybe detail some more specific information on each of them, so just ask if interested. I noticed Simon and Richter have quite a blindspot in their F-air/B-air. I kind of just spammed N-air.

And lowkey N-air and D-air OoS brought me up like 10 levels. I got pretty consistent at Stomp to Heel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The fact that you've been keeping up summons for the past 323 summons sends me LOL
Make that 327 summons. :p
3* Arthur #1: +Spd, -Res.

4* Lilina: +HP, -Def.

3* Serra: +Atk, -Def.

4* Tharja #1: neutral.

4* Tharja #2: +Res, -HP.

4* Arthur #2: +Def, -HP.

4* Chrom: +HP, -Res.

4* Libra: +Spd, -Def.

3* Olivia: +HP, -Res.

4* Sothe: +Spd, -Atk.

3* Catria: +Def, -Spd.

3* Effie #1: +HP, -Def.

4* Effie #2: +Atk, -Def.

4* Nino: +Res, -HP.

5* Quan: +Spd, -Res.

4* Draug: +Def, -Atk.

4* L'Arachel: +Res, -Spd.

5* Leanne: +HP, -Def. Yes! Part of me wanted to summon her because she's adorable and the other part is because Naeasala's the next GHB and reuniting them would be cute.

3* Lissa: +Spd, -HP.

5* Nailah: +Spd, -Def. And I summoned the unit I wanted the most. She's voiced by Rachel Robinson, the same voice actress who voiced Fang in Final Fantasy XIII.

I'm pretty sure I'm off since I started counting after a few summons and those weren't recorded. Also, I'm not sure why I decided to do this and continued to do this, but whatever. Maybe I'll stop at 1000 summons. I guess this banner's done since I used up all the summoning tickets and I don't think it would be a good idea to chase after more beefy hawkmen to try and get Sturdy Impact.

Also, help, I can't stop listening to a happy dolphin sing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcg6reFEQsY.

Or turn him into a sugar fiend like Gaius and kind of Sakura. I wonder who exactly he bumped into. I'm leaning towards Gwendolyn since her art does make her look really skinny compared to Amelia who looks like a girl in giant armor or Sheena who's normal-looking. Imagine if Reyson bumped into winter Tharja and saw her stats. Speedo Reyson as an armored dancer when? :p

I'm really liking this Forging Bonds since they're about the heroes more than them talking to us. Because Tibarn decided to be really nice with getting points, so I was able to see all his support conversations, he comes off like a father to Alfonse as much as a mentor. That's probably because Tibarn's better at communicating with people compared to Gustav. I haven't played the newest chapter yet, so I don't know if there's any Alfonse and Gustav interactions. Additionally, I haven't played the Tellius games, but I think Tibarn talks about Elincia since he mentions a queen who rose up after a king died.

Also, pretty sure that Nailah and Anna's talk about special clothes is a jab at themselves for the recent seasonal and alt manaketes not looking any different compared to their regular selves. Legendary kid Tiki just transforms into a gold version of her dragon form which is based on the Book 1 of Shadow Dragon instead of the Book 2 one which is the dragon form she takes in Fire Emblem Warriors and spooky Myrrh's dragon form is exactly the same as her regular self's. Winter Fae's the only one who has something different and it's the reindeer horns.

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I also played pretty much every single one of Zelda's bad matchups (ee-mo). Simon/Ritcher, Inkling, Megaman, Toon Link (actually pretty doable) and about every sword character in the book. I can maybe detail some more specific information on each of them, so just ask if interested. I noticed Simon and Richter have quite a blindspot in their F-air/B-air. I kind of just spammed N-air.
The Belmonts and Toon Link are in Zelda's favor, I think. I did a write up on the Belmonts in the MU thread and a lot of the same principles apply to Toon Link. I play a lot of Richter and the most difficult part, is when the opponent gets tilted and turns off their brain and just aggressively rushes. It's kind of annoying just how easy it is for him to get cheesed or rushed down. His disadvantage is even worse than Zelda's and one of the worst I've ever played, so take advantage of that. The big secret is to use the minimum amount of movement to avoid his projectiles and always keep moving forward. Simply hopping over his projectiles, then fast falling and continuing forward, is very effective against him. He doesn't have a lot of good ground options, so keep on there as much as possible.

The others though, are kind of busted, so no shame to losing to them. The strategy I use is to play very defensive and wait for any opening or mistake and then take every last percent or bit of stage control I can. Due to this, my matches generally come down to the wire. Some moves can be parried for big punishes and others are too fast. And definitely don't try to play Megaman on a flat stage. I really hate Omega stages in this game.

Can't say I have experience with tournament nerves, but I can see how that would be a hindrance to your normal play. I guess that needs practice like everything else. I can experience it on a much smaller scale if someone is watching me play, though.

Codebox

Smash Apprentice
I want my Zelda nair back. The fact it could've been that good makes it even worse. We need to be more vocal so they fix it.

D

Deleted member 189823

The Belmonts and Toon Link are in Zelda's favor, I think. I did a write up on the Belmonts in the MU thread and a lot of the same principles apply to Toon Link. I play a lot of Richter and the most difficult part, is when the opponent gets tilted and turns off their brain and just aggressively rushes. It's kind of annoying just how easy it is for him to get cheesed or rushed down. His disadvantage is even worse than Zelda's and one of the worst I've ever played, so take advantage of that. The big secret is to use the minimum amount of movement to avoid his projectiles and always keep moving forward. Simply hopping over his projectiles, then fast falling and continuing forward, is very effective against him. He doesn't have a lot of good ground options, so keep on there as much as possible.

The others though, are kind of busted, so no shame to losing to them. The strategy I use is to play very defensive and wait for any opening or mistake and then take every last percent or bit of stage control I can. Due to this, my matches generally come down to the wire. Some moves can be parried for big punishes and others are too fast. And definitely don't try to play Megaman on a flat stage. I really hate Omega stages in this game.

Can't say I have experience with tournament nerves, but I can see how that would be a hindrance to your normal play. I guess that needs practice like everything else. I can experience it on a much smaller scale if someone is watching me play, though.
Megaman is the worst next to or almost tied to Chrom. At least we can gimp Chrom and, you know, actually move. I didnt mind swords so much as constant projectiles constantly reducing my movement. I had to walk in and shield through the Belmonts. Got pretty stomped by these guys bar Toon Link. Not to mention, a lot of these guys just didnt fall for my Teleports.

I did pretty well against most of the sword guys. I think I won most of those, including Roy, Lucina, Marth, Shulk and Chrom. Chrom was the hardest, by a solid margin. A really good player did the thing and took me to the ledge to Up-B kill twice in a match, but I somewhat adapted afterwards.

I want my Zelda nair back. The fact it could've been that good makes it even worse. We need to be more vocal so they fix it.
Am I the only one that just doesnt notice it? I literally spam it.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Well, it’s her only aerial that isn’t rigidly directional in design and not sweet-spot based, so it’s either use it or don’t jump lmao. To its credit the hitboxes are pretty big and it can SH AC, so Zelda kind of wants to use it.

It just only functions correctly 40% of the time. :secretkpop:

Aussie1024

"Stow your fear. It's now or never!"
Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Hey everyone! it's been a while since I posted on here. Hope you all are well. I recently got an internship at a local state park so that's why I haven't posted on here as much as of late.

I recently started playing more online matches to see where I stack up with my characters against other players (AFAIK, Delaware doesn't have a huge local tourney scene). As of now, I'm close to Elite with Zelda. I'm at or around 2.2 million GSP (it could have changed as I haven't touched online today and GSP always fluctuates). I'm still learning how to strategically setup Phantom, but hopefully some more labbing will alleviate that. Mixing up hasn't really been an issue with her so far. It's more so becoming more of a strategist with her kit. I've also been labbing with potential combos off sour-spot lightning kicks. Haven't been able to replicate them in matches though. It's all a learning game, and I'm more than willing to take in whatever I can to improve with her.

Prince Wu? I liked him since I think he served as a comic foil to Mako better than Bolin did. I never really had a problem with him.
Also thank you for explaining Korra bending the Spirit beam. It’s best for the climax to make sense.
I really did love LoK overall though. Even Book 2 was a lot of fun.
First off, hello fellow Avatar fan. Did you just watch Korra for the first time? How do you like it compared to The Last Airbender? I watched TLA in its original run (and have run thru it numerous times since 2017) and it holds a special place in my heart. I honestly prefer it to LOK, but Korra is still a solid show. I've seen it twice, and hope to watch it again in a month or two.

I didn't like Wu when I first watched the show, but I liked him more the second time. He had a decent arc in the book.

Book 2 was my least favorite in Korra (and Avatar in general), but even then it had some fun and touching moments. Each book of Avatar is never "bad" to me. They all have a unique charm to them IMO.

D

Deleted member 189823

It just only functions correctly 40% of the time. :secretkpop:
Again, I never had that happen. Like, ever. And this thing is a cornerstone of my game. If you see me play, I pretty much just do N-air, U-Tilt and Dash Attack.

Its our best OoS move, does solid damage and the AC can lead to dumb stuff like Up-B, Kick, pretty much anything.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
First off, hello fellow Avatar fan. Did you just watch Korra for the first time? How do you like it compared to The Last Airbender? I watched TLA in its original run (and have run thru it numerous times since 2017) and it holds a special place in my heart. I honestly prefer it to LOK, but Korra is still a solid show. I've seen it twice, and hope to watch it again in a month or two.

I didn't like Wu when I first watched the show, but I liked him more the second time. He had a decent arc in the book.

Book 2 was my least favorite in Korra (and Avatar in general), but even then it had some fun and touching moments. Each book of Avatar is never "bad" to me. They all have a unique charm to them IMO.
Yep! I finished it just before the end of the year for the first time. Compared to TLA, I vastly prefer LoK more streamlined story arcs that have much less “Great Divides”. It has an extra season and is still 9 episodes shorter than TLA. I also appreciate what it adds on to the original in terms of lore, and Korra is superior to Aang as a character without a doubt.

But I also think TLA is superior (I’ve also only watched TLA once) because the characters are overall better and the story for the most part makes more sense. The writing and humour is amazing for a Nickelodian show, the entire series has 2 toilet humour jokes. I just think the show is pure magic in how it is structured, and it’s my favorite animated show of all time.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Sup boys, girls, Palutena mains and Lucina mains? :ultlucina::ultpalutena:

So I had my online tutorial Thursday night, and I've gotten a big handful of help which was all good. Basically for my assessment, I have to watch a TED Talk video about Driverless vehicles and summarise what he is talking about and then eventually write whether I agree or disagree with him.

By the way, I got some of those clips up now onto YT. I'll share them with Berserker. Berserker. over Discord to see what he thinks of them. :secretkpop: And then I'll see if they're worthy enough to go onto some montage videos from other YouTubers.

Also, KonoSuba now has a dub. They revealed the English voice cast.

Arnie Pantoja will voice Kazuma
Fate Mata will voice Aqua
Erica Mandez will voice Megumin
And Christina Vee will voice Darkness

I've heard some people think Aqua and Darkness should have their voices swapped, but we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Yep! I finished it just before the end of the year for the first time. Compared to TLA, I vastly prefer LoK more streamlined story arcs that have much less “Great Divides”. It has an extra season and is still 9 episodes shorter than TLA. I also appreciate what it adds on to the original in terms of lore, and Korra is superior to Aang as a character without a doubt.

But I also think TLA is superior (I’ve also only watched TLA once) because the characters are overall better and the story for the most part makes more sense. The writing and humour is amazing for a Nickelodian show, the entire series has 2 toilet humour jokes. I just think the show is pure magic in how it is structured, and it’s my favorite animated show of all time.
I can respect that. Korra does have a more streamlined story that gets straight to the point. The only "Great Divide" episode I can honestly think of is Remembrances, but even then it was still hysterical. It really does a good job of extending the Avatar lore with things like the Spirit World, Zaheer is a really compelling villain as well. I honestly like Aang better, but Korra's arc was really well done. They put a lot of time making sure she grew as an Avatar and a person. There are so many differences in her character from the first episode to the last episode. They handled that really well. My favorite character is Tenzin though.

I think TLA does characters so much better though. Each character in the show receives an amazing amount of growth. Zuko's arc is already remarkable, but so many others receive attention too. It feels like you're on a journey with each character as they mature and grow thru the hardships and trials that are in front of them. It feels like you're a part of the team. Just to put it out there, my favorite character is Katara.

The writing in TLA is spot on. It's so clever and tightly-written. I've never seen a cartoon that can balance humor and action as well as Avatar does.

Avatar is such an amazing series in general. The characters are lovable, the stories are engaging, the action is breath-taking, and the concept behind bending is really well done. I love how each bending style is based on a martial art. It adds a sense of realism to bending.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the series. IMO, ATLA is my favorite cartoon of all time, and LOK is certainly top 5.

Nintendan

Smash Rookie
This isn't any news to anyone, and let alone exclusive, but it seems I become very unconfident in my play when I get nervous. I just don't do my thing.
Don't worry about not performing as well as you'd hoped to. When you get really nervous you will always second guess your decision making which leads to poor play.
I don't really know how you feel towards the game competitively, but for me I am not taking this game 100% seriously. If I was I'd have likely switched to someone like Lucina or Inkling by now. Almost all pressure you feel during a match is ultimately being put on yourself by yourself. It's easier said that done, but try to ditch made-up expectations of yourself. It can affect your play by:
a) underestimating an opponent ("this guy just spams dash attack and smashes, if I don't win this I'm bad" or "I've rarely lost this matchup so I should win") which leads you to making careless misplays
and b) Because you believe you should win, you can also end up focusing too hard and putting wayyy too much pressure on yourself. This often happens when you're playing with the first mindset but then realise you're in risk of losing. You immediately switch gears because you strongly believe you should be winning the game, and the fear of losing pressures you.

Take each game as it comes. Ultimate is young, and there's a TON of things to learn. You already have the right mindset for improving and getting better which is honestly the hardest part to fix when it comes to trying to get better at something.

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Don't worry about not performing as well as you'd hoped to. When you get really nervous you will always second guess your decision making which leads to poor play.
I don't really know how you feel towards the game competitively, but for me I am not taking this game 100% seriously. If I was I'd have likely switched to someone like Lucina or Inkling by now. Almost all pressure you feel during a match is ultimately being put on yourself by yourself. It's easier said that done, but try to ditch made-up expectations of yourself. It can affect your play by:
a) underestimating an opponent ("this guy just spams dash attack and smashes, if I don't win this I'm bad" or "I've rarely lost this matchup so I should win") which leads you to making careless misplays
and b) Because you believe you should win, you can also end up focusing too hard and putting wayyy too much pressure on yourself. This often happens when you're playing with the first mindset but then realise you're in risk of losing. You immediately switch gears because you strongly believe you should be winning the game, and the fear of losing pressures you.

Take each game as it comes. Ultimate is young, and there's a TON of things to learn. You already have the right mindset for improving and getting better which is honestly the hardest part to fix when it comes to trying to get better at something.
Wow. I feel like you are talking to me as well. I haven't done any tournament play before, but I always get really nervous before an online match, especially if I'm using Zelda since she's my main. I feel like I have to win and use her moveset consistently well every match. I underestimate my opponents and don't respect what they do. It puts all the pressure on myself and I feel blown out when I lose. The pressure, like you said, results in you not thinking straight and puts you in a bad spot. When I lose, I rip myself to shreds when I actually didn't lose too badly. The main culprit is putting unnecessary expectations and pressure on myself, which taints the fun of the game.

When I don't put that pressure on myself, I end up doing very well because I feel freed up to have fun and enjoy the experience. And with each win and loss, I constantly look at ways to get better. It should be all our mindsets when we play. Fighting games are first and foremost a mental game. There needs to be a calm mindset and no expectations placed on yourself. If one can stay cool mentally and not get too angry at themselves, then they will be freed up to play their game.

Thanks for that message. I know I'm not the only one who needed to read that. I hope others will be as encouraged by it as I was.

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Megaman is the worst next to or almost tied to Chrom. At least we can gimp Chrom and, you know, actually move. I didnt mind swords so much as constant projectiles constantly reducing my movement. I had to walk in and shield through the Belmonts. Got pretty stomped by these guys bar Toon Link. Not to mention, a lot of these guys just didnt fall for my Teleports.
I'm the opposite where I'm generally fine with projectiles, but not the best with swords. It's not that I can't beat them, just the match is a little too close for comfort. Good that you can handle them though, seems like everyone is going to be using them. And yeah, Chrom is pretty ridiculous. His range or weight isn't a problem, it's his speed and DI that seems to brute force out of everything.

Teleports are kinda something you use when the opponent is already flustered. If you manage to make them roll, it's a very good roll punish and using jumps and DI will confuse them about where you are going to actually teleport. The trick is to use it as an attack sparingly and surprise them in disadvantage or as a projectile punish.

I don't really have a problem with it either.

Codebox

Smash Apprentice
What would you guys say are MUs Zelda has an overall okay or decent time with? I've seen her struggle helplessly against Megaman, that MU is just a big no for Zelda. lol What do you guys think about actually having kicks that work this time? Any sourspot setups that actually work?

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Again, I never had that happen. Like, ever. And this thing is a cornerstone of my game. If you see me play, I pretty much just do N-air, U-Tilt and Dash Attack.

Its our best OoS move, does solid damage and the AC can lead to dumb stuff like Up-B, Kick, pretty much anything.
Nair could do that in Sm4sh too. Except it linked all the hits regardless of your aerial movement unless she barely clipped them with the hitbox sometimes.

In SmUsh, it's possible for people to fall out because of Nair itself or because of either character's aerial speed. If you use it on grounded opponents it will work 100% of the time just like in Sm4sh, thankfully. It's a mid-tier air2ground option, but hey, at least we have one in this game. It's worse than in Sm4sh if used in the air tho oopsT.

What would you guys say are MUs Zelda has an overall okay or decent time with? I've seen her struggle helplessly against Megaman, that MU is just a big no for Zelda. lol What do you guys think about actually having kicks that work this time? Any sourspot setups that actually work?
Better than in Sm4sh since she can actually harass people who are off stage in hard-to-ignore ways and she's harder to ezrush towards. Still helpless vs anyone who doesn't have to approach her (such as mass projectile users).

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Online I've had a decent time against K Rool. Most heavies except Ganon and DK to be honest. I can't beat them, but it's probably because of my skill more than anything. Yet, even then I still get close to beating both of them. I've also had a decent time against Snake. The more I think on the matchups, the more I remember which ones I have a good time with.

The character I'm struggling most against is Ike. His attacks are so fast and strong I have such a hard time creating space. I feel like it's 0-100 in just seconds.

Codebox

Smash Apprentice
Online I've had a decent time against K Rool. Most heavies except Ganon and DK to be honest. I can't beat them, but it's probably because of my skill more than anything. Yet, even then I still get close to beating both of them. I've also had a decent time against Snake. The more I think on the matchups, the more I remember which ones I have a good time with.

The character I'm struggling most against is Ike. His attacks are so fast and strong I have such a hard time creating space. I feel like it's 0-100 in just seconds.
I have heard Snake is decent for Zelda since he's also defensive. Just be wary of C4's and Grenades though, as it can limit Phantom usage. Not sure how much is true though. Especially considering Snake's excellent trapping abilities. I have heard Zelda is good against K Rool, again not for sure on that. Yeah FE characters are just insane in this game, it's not surprising that almost any character would be countered by them.

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
I have heard Snake is decent for Zelda since he's also defensive. Just be wary of C4's and Grenades though, as it can limit Phantom usage. Not sure how much is true though. Especially considering Snake's excellent trapping abilities. I have heard Zelda is good against K Rool, again not for sure on that. Yeah FE characters are just insane in this game, it's not surprising that almost any character would be countered by them.
Yeah I make sure to stay on my toes with C4's and the grenades. I also use Phantom to wall out the missiles.

I've usually been able to beat K Rool pretty well whenever I face him online. Her projectiles space him out, and when he gets close, I use aerials, Nayru, and grabs.

It's strange for my Zelda with FE characters. I've beaten a Lucina and two Chrom's online with her (I may have also beaten a Marth but I can't be sure). I've lost to Ike all three times when I faced him.

Top Bottom