• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Zelda Social - Still the queen of Smash...and maybe queen of low tier for a decade, too. Shall we make it two?

Are you happy with the Link Between Worlds redesign?

• Yes, she's gorgeous and expressive.

Votes: 265 65.9%
  • No, Breath of the Wild had such potential.

Votes: 56 13.9%
  • No, Twilight Princess death stare Zelda was the best design.

Votes: 45 11.2%
  • I'm happy with any design, just as long as she's viable,

Votes: 36 9.0%

• Total voters

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
On the other hand, look at her compared to Rosalina...

Also, a question: I just activated Elite Smash with Zelda, is there any way to play regular Quickplay with other characters now? Seems kind of weird to lock that out.
Just select a non-elite character and you'll get non-elite matches after a message.

Arwon

Smash Apprentice
Oh, that's almost too simple. Serves me right for obeying the blacked-out-ness of the characters...

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
On the other hand, look at her compared to Rosalina...

Also, a question: I just activated Elite Smash with Zelda, is there any way to play regular Quickplay with other characters now? Seems kind of weird to lock that out.
When you select other characters not at elite they are at regular quickplay status until they hit elite

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Look at her entire size compared to 5'4" Mac tho.
He's 5' 7", the same height as Fox. He used to be even shorter at 4' 8" in the NES version. He still needs to eat more or needs his weight to be updated. I know that boxers and other fighters have to weigh-in, but I don't think 107 lbs for a 5' 7", athletic male is healthy. Little Mac's page on the Punch Out!! wiki: http://punchout.wikia.com/wiki/Little_Mac.

Now for something that nobody asked for: ****ty video game analysis.
Edit: Y'know what? I'm going to slap this here and I'll talk about it later since it's the middle of the night. The short take on it is that now I know exactly why I'm so biased towards fast fallers in Smash and that for me, there is an alarming trend going on with video games.
So, the video discusses combat in Kingdom Hearts, an action RPG, and to which I would extend to gameplay in general (for all games). Combat in Kingdom Hearts up to Kingdom Hearts II was snappy and responsive even if it was braindead at times since you could literally mash your way to victory, especially on easier difficulties. In later games, notably games after Birth By Sleep, combat is more rigid and sluggish even though it has the same if not better flair than the previous games. The reason for this, as the video goes over, is that in the pre-Birth By Sleep games, animations were overall faster, you could cancel (more) animations, and you couldn't stay in the air as long and you had moves that got you to the ground faster. The last point is dependent on the game as some games have a focus on aerial combat, but in this context, it is argued as a somewhat negative aspect of post-BBS games. There's also the issue of game balance. Anyway, to boil it down, pre-BBS games had meaningful animations that matched their environment. The key -- no pun intended -- is how they work together that results in meaningful gameplay and tight, responsive controls.

Square Enix has always had a huge focus on visuals by making their games very pretty to look at. They've been at the forefront for tech demos showcasing a look at a new generation's possibilities when it comes to graphics, have fantastic presentation for their games, and they are very thorough when it comes to developing and researching art styles. The issue is that this has leaked into how their games actually play. That is to say, form is being favored over function.

We have gotten to the point where technology allows for so much when it comes to visuals as many games nowadays do resemble CGI animated films. Hardware isn't as limiting. If anything it's enabling. In terms of animations, we are allowed more to make games more alive. The problem, though, is that they're still games and I want to say that in general, animations have to answer their purpose.

As simple of a concept this is, when you move in a game, you expect it to happen. Some animation fluff might be there to make it look more interesting, not robotic, or too sudden, but it should not negatively impact the game. In old games, instant turning wasn't uncommon nor was literally turning in place where you would expect a character to move their feet. In more recent games, you have that movement, but for the most part, it still feels responsive. The animation adds to it visually, but it doesn't hamper how the player can move their character. An example I can think of would be in inFAMOUS, apparently Cole has around twenty animations for his jogging and running to make it look like a human is actually moving as we have to account for changing directions, balance, and so on, but it never feels like you're controlling a human with all our awkwardness.

That's a problem post-BBS Kingdom Hearts games and Final Fantasy XV are running into where you have detailed and fancy animations that either don't add to anything really or they actually take away from the gameplay. For one reason or another, attacks and some moves became slower starting in Birth By Sleep. That's not a problem when you have games like Demon's/Dark Souls where their combat is slow, but in turn, the moves, the player's and the enemies', are deliberate. There is weight and meaning to their moves. Unfortunately, this wasn't addressed in Birth By Sleep, especially with regards to superbosses who are more ridiculous in the post-BBS games. When you have attacks with high startup, basic combos take time to transition from move to move. Add how many enemies you can face at a time and how enemies react to attacks where it takes more hits or stronger hits to stun them and basic combos now take too long to transition from move to move and become risky which basic combos shouldn't be. Ground dodges are fine, but air dodges aren't. Air slide, the air dash of these games, has high recovery or at least Aqua's does since hers resembles Sora's Quick Run where he dashes forward and spins at the end. The issue is that her air slide is slower than his Quick Run in startup, travel speed, and recovery. It's also much slower than Sora's Aerial Dodge in Kingdom Hearts II, his part-air dash and part-double jump since it doesn't move him up as high as other double jumps in Kingdom Hearts, but it lets him move to a direction very quickly in the air. In the video, it's noted that you can cancel the spin with Doubleflight, Aqua's double jump, but it too is slow since she has to take time to summon a magical platform to jump off of. The only other series I know of that has a similar looking double jump is Devil May Cry where Air Hike also involves summoning a magical platform, but they summon and jump off of it faster so it's more of a visual flair than anything. DMC2 and DmC: Devil May Cry didn't use Air Hike, but a more regular double jump found in other games.

Essentially, the player characters are being slowed down by animations as much as the animations have slowed down as well. Meanwhile, the enemies are more or less the same in speed. That lack of an adjustment at least in hit stun takes away from the animations. They lose impact as much as they lose effectiveness. Impact is the issue I feel like Final Fantasy XV suffers the most from as you have all these cool special attacks you can tell Ignis, Gladiolus, or Prompto to do, but they come off as stupidly overdramatic with them being mini-cutscenes which also breaks the flow of combat, and janky. In contrast to Dragon's Dogma where the cinematic camera which you can disable snaps to equally as important and effective, but more simpler, shorter special moves. For example, an ally using the Springboard is just them telling you to get near them so they can launch you into the air for an aerial attack or to grab an flying enemy to weigh them down or a massive AoE spell was cast and that was it. There was no drawn out cutscene, but still a cutscene nevertheless, to show them casting a giant fire, ice, or lightning spell. If you disable the cinematic camera, then you get combat without any breaks and it's amazing in my opinion to see regular and special attacks being thrown out on the fly. The result of that is that you're in constant control and also able to see all the visual flair the game has to offer.

Good animations and good use of animations must be balanced. One complaint about Battle Chasers: Nightwar, a turn-based RPG, is that it has amazing animations, but it makes the combat take too long and I don't think you can skip or speed up attacks during fights. Compare this to Final Fantasy X, also a turn-based RPG, where when you tell Tidus to do a regular attack, he leaps forward and slashes. It looks cool and it's very fast. Auron, Lulu, and I think Yuna have slow attacks, but Lulu and Yuna are probably not going to be using their regular attacks often since they're geared at the start to be mages. Auron on the other hand wields a two-handed sword, so his attacks being relatively slow while having satisfying feedback works. Wakka's in a similar position as Auron where he has some startup before he throws his Blitzball, but once it's thrown, it pops the enemy hard and fast before going back to Wakka.

Canceling animations is a way to make things flow faster or prevent the player from getting caught in some sticky situations. Canceling attacks with dodges is an example of the latter. In some cases, it's because you don't always need to or want to see the full animation. Vergil's sheathing animations in Devil May Cry and Incineroar's crowd appeal animations in Ultimate are examples of these where they're stylish and in Vergil's case, can improve his combat scoring and sometimes do damage. That said, they don't need to be seen or want to be see all the time, so you can cancel them and do something else. If you couldn't, then there would be too much recovery on their moves. In other cases, it's just to make things flow faster or let you do things faster like you don't really need to see the recovery animation of the second hit of a three hit combo. You probably also don't really need to see the entire recovery animation of the third hit either. The video goes over this with one of Sora's aerial attacks where you can choose to let the full thing hit or cancel it partway to do another attack.

These are recent games where I'm starting to feel that there is a trend of games having good animations, but not using them well. It is even more alarming when you have developer who did animated and used animations well like Square Enix. This could towards a similar path as when there was and still is a push for photorealistic graphics. Instead of some games looking great and running poorly, it might become some games looking great, but having clunky controls and not playing well. Well, that's my spiel about this. If you made it this far, then I question your sanity.

The statement on fast fallers is that in most hack 'n' slash games, you usually cannot stay in the air for long unless you're very skilled at manipulating the moves and enemies to allow you to do so. Most of the combat would be on the ground, but air combos can continue onto the ground and I guess that's why I prefer playing fast fallers since I can do something on the ground, put you into the air, and quickly get back to the ground to follow up with more aerials, juggle you, or let you reach the ground and start hitting you more. Falco more or less hits those points with his high fall speed and high jump acting sort of like a rise from a launcher in Bayonetta and Devil May Cry except his jump lets him follow his opponents vertically more than other characters as Smash is knockback-based while rises from launchers are fixed distance.
TL;DR: Some recent games like Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Final Fantasy XV, The Witcher 3, possibly Kingdom Hearts III, and Kingdom Hearts games after Kingdom Hearts II appear to not be using animations well. While the animations are intricate and pleasing to look at, they are not being accounted for properly for gameplay leading to clunkier controls, needlessly slower character movement, and overall poorer gameplay.

Last edited:

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
My last game before work I was messing around as Cloud, and the Zelda Player I fought was not particularly good at spacing but I got severely gimped twice by a lightning kick at low %. I really need to time the directional airdodge better. I find it easier to raise my GSP and win with my Main Lucina then Zelda too.

Linking the Dthrow to lightning kick on non-heavies seems tricky to me aswell...

Last edited:

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Also holy **** how are you doin' Koiba? It's been like, 1-2 years has it been going well?
Heya! Yeah, it's been a while haha :,) Felt like I just joined yesterday when really it's been almost 4 years, isn't that wild

But I'm doing well~ Just a bunch of work now, especially with University coming up >.> I miss being a sophomore cri. But wbu you? Haven't heard from you in a while :D

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Heya! Yeah, it's been a while haha :,) Felt like I just joined yesterday when really it's been almost 4 years, isn't that wild

But I'm doing well~ Just a bunch of work now, especially with University coming up >.> I miss being a sophomore cri. But wbu you? Haven't heard from you in a while :D
Ahhh, lots of stuff. Done a lot of weight loss (I was around 225 when I was first playing Smash 4 I think? Or maybe 210 lbs, I forgeeeettt) and now I'm 166 lbs, graduated University, have a part time job and I'm about to begin searching for full time again now that I just got over a killer cold.

Good luck with University, it may or may not murder you. Can't guarantee the safety of your mind, it's incredibly stressful, so don't feel too alone or anything if it gets to you. It sucks, but it's worth it for the good experiences and the degree.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
He's 5' 7", the same height as Fox. He used to be even shorter at 4' 8" in the NES version. He still needs to eat more or needs his weight to be updated. I know that boxers and other fighters have to weigh-in, but I don't think 107 lbs for a 5' 7", athletic male is healthy. Little Mac's page on the Punch Out!! wiki: http://punchout.wikia.com/wiki/Little_Mac.

Now for something that nobody asked for: ****ty video game analysis.
So, the video discusses combat in Kingdom Hearts, an action RPG, and to which I would extend to gameplay in general (for all games). Combat in Kingdom Hearts up to Kingdom Hearts II was snappy and responsive even if it was braindead at times since you could literally mash your way to victory, especially on easier difficulties. In later games, notably games after Birth By Sleep, combat is more rigid and sluggish even though it has the same if not better flair than the previous games. The reason for this, as the video goes over, is that in the pre-Birth By Sleep games, animations were overall faster, you could cancel (more) animations, and you couldn't stay in the air as long and you had moves that got you to the ground faster. The last point is dependent on the game as some games have a focus on aerial combat, but in this context, it is argued as a somewhat negative aspect of post-BBS games. There's also the issue of game balance. Anyway, to boil it down, pre-BBS games had meaningful animations that matched their environment. The key -- no pun intended -- is how they work together that results in meaningful gameplay and tight, responsive controls.

Square Enix has always had a huge focus on visuals by making their games very pretty to look at. They've been at the forefront for tech demos showcasing a look at a new generation's possibilities when it comes to graphics, have fantastic presentation for their games, and they are very thorough when it comes to developing and researching art styles. The issue is that this has leaked into how their games actually play. That is to say, form is being favored over function.

We have gotten to the point where technology allows for so much when it comes to visuals as many games nowadays do resemble CGI animated films. Hardware isn't as limiting. If anything it's enabling. In terms of animations, we are allowed more to make games more alive. The problem, though, is that they're still games and I want to say that in general, animations have to answer their purpose.

As simple of a concept this is, when you move in a game, you expect it to happen. Some animation fluff might be there to make it look more interesting, not robotic, or too sudden, but it should not negatively impact the game. In old games, instant turning wasn't uncommon nor was literally turning in place where you would expect a character to move their feet. In more recent games, you have that movement, but for the most part, it still feels responsive. The animation adds to it visually, but it doesn't hamper how the player can move their character. An example I can think of would be in inFAMOUS, apparently Cole has around twenty animations for his jogging and running to make it look like a human is actually moving as we have to account for changing directions, balance, and so on, but it never feels like you're controlling a human with all our awkwardness.

That's a problem post-BBS Kingdom Hearts games and Final Fantasy XV are running into where you have detailed and fancy animations that either don't add to anything really or they actually take away from the gameplay. For one reason or another, attacks and some moves became slower starting in Birth By Sleep. That's not a problem when you have games like Demon's/Dark Souls where their combat is slow, but in turn, the moves, the player's and the enemies', are deliberate. There is weight and meaning to their moves. Unfortunately, this wasn't addressed in Birth By Sleep, especially with regards to superbosses who are more ridiculous in the post-BBS games. When you have attacks with high startup, basic combos take time to transition from move to move. Add how many enemies you can face at a time and how enemies react to attacks where it takes more hits or stronger hits to stun them and basic combos now take too long to transition from move to move and become risky which basic combos shouldn't be. Ground dodges are fine, but air dodges aren't. Air slide, the air dash of these games, has high recovery or at least Aqua's does since hers resembles Sora's Quick Run where he dashes forward and spins at the end. The issue is that her air slide is slower than his Quick Run in startup, travel speed, and recovery. It's also much slower than Sora's Aerial Dodge in Kingdom Hearts II, his part-air dash and part-double jump since it doesn't move him up as high as other double jumps in Kingdom Hearts, but it lets him move to a direction very quickly in the air. In the video, it's noted that you can cancel the spin with Doubleflight, Aqua's double jump, but it too is slow since she has to take time to summon a magical platform to jump off of. The only other series I know of that has a similar looking double jump is Devil May Cry where Air Hike also involves summoning a magical platform, but they summon and jump off of it faster so it's more of a visual flair than anything. DMC2 and DmC: Devil May Cry didn't use Air Hike, but a more regular double jump found in other games.

Essentially, the player characters are being slowed down by animations as much as the animations have slowed down as well. Meanwhile, the enemies are more or less the same in speed. That lack of an adjustment at least in hit stun takes away from the animations. They lose impact as much as they lose effectiveness. Impact is the issue I feel like Final Fantasy XV suffers the most from as you have all these cool special attacks you can tell Ignis, Gladiolus, or Prompto to do, but they come off as stupidly overdramatic with them being mini-cutscenes which also breaks the flow of combat, and janky. In contrast to Dragon's Dogma where the cinematic camera which you can disable snaps to equally as important and effective, but more simpler, shorter special moves. For example, an ally using the Springboard is just them telling you to get near them so they can launch you into the air for an aerial attack or to grab an flying enemy to weigh them down or a massive AoE spell was cast and that was it. There was no drawn out cutscene, but still a cutscene nevertheless, to show them casting a giant fire, ice, or lightning spell. If you disable the cinematic camera, then you get combat without any breaks and it's amazing in my opinion to see regular and special attacks being thrown out on the fly. The result of that is that you're in constant control and also able to see all the visual flair the game has to offer.

Good animations and good use of animations must be balanced. One complaint about Battle Chasers: Nightwar, a turn-based RPG, is that it has amazing animations, but it makes the combat take too long and I don't think you can skip or speed up attacks during fights. Compare this to Final Fantasy X, also a turn-based RPG, where when you tell Tidus to do a regular attack, he leaps forward and slashes. It looks cool and it's very fast. Auron, Lulu, and I think Yuna have slow attacks, but Lulu and Yuna are probably not going to be using their regular attacks often since they're geared at the start to be mages. Auron on the other hand wields a two-handed sword, so his attacks being relatively slow while having satisfying feedback works. Wakka's in a similar position as Auron where he has some startup before he throws his Blitzball, but once it's thrown, it pops the enemy hard and fast before going back to Wakka.

Canceling animations is a way to make things flow faster or prevent the player from getting caught in some sticky situations. Canceling attacks with dodges is an example of the latter. In some cases, it's because you don't always need to or want to see the full animation. Vergil's sheathing animations in Devil May Cry and Incineroar's crowd appeal animations in Ultimate are examples of these where they're stylish and in Vergil's case, can improve his combat scoring and sometimes do damage. That said, they don't need to be seen or want to be see all the time, so you can cancel them and do something else. If you couldn't, then there would be too much recovery on their moves. In other cases, it's just to make things flow faster or let you do things faster like you don't really need to see the recovery animation of the second hit of a three hit combo. You probably also don't really need to see the entire recovery animation of the third hit either. The video goes over this with one of Sora's aerial attacks where you can choose to let the full thing hit or cancel it partway to do another attack.

These are recent games where I'm starting to feel that there is a trend of games having good animations, but not using them well. It is even more alarming when you have developer who did animated and used animations well like Square Enix. This could towards a similar path as when there was and still is a push for photorealistic graphics. Instead of some games looking great and running poorly, it might become some games looking great, but having clunky controls and not playing well. Well, that's my spiel about this. If you made it this far, then I question your sanity.

The statement on fast fallers is that in most hack 'n' slash games, you usually cannot stay in the air for long unless you're very skilled at manipulating the moves and enemies to allow you to do so. Most of the combat would be on the ground, but air combos can continue onto the ground and I guess that's why I prefer playing fast fallers since I can do something on the ground, put you into the air, and quickly get back to the ground to follow up with more aerials, juggle you, or let you reach the ground and start hitting you more. Falco more or less hits those points with his high fall speed and high jump acting sort of like a rise from a launcher in Bayonetta and Devil May Cry except his jump lets him follow his opponents vertically more than other characters as Smash is knockback-based while rises from launchers are fixed distance.
TL;DR: Some recent games like Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Final Fantasy XV, The Witcher 3, possibly Kingdom Hearts III, and Kingdom Hearts games after Kingdom Hearts II appear to not be using animations well. While the animations are intricate and pleasing to look at, they are not being accounted for properly for gameplay leading to clunkier controls, needlessly slower character movement, and overall poorer gameplay.
I haven't played KH yet, but I definitely agree with your points on FFXV. That game's movement and combat feel absolutely awful to me. Imo it's one of the worst and unpolished combat systems Square has ever made. FF Type 0 did the real time action combat sooo much better and that's a PSP game...

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
What's crackin' every single fan of Tamamo No Mae? :ultzelda:

Palutena isn't even the best spammer. Her moves are all laggy and she has a hard time forcing them to be where they should be since they're set angles/distances during the cast time, but they can't be reflected so it evens out. They must've been real bad if they thought her "spam" was considered problematic.

Though I am not a fan of the actual-pure-spammies, since they feel very anti-climactic to fight.
I wasn't fighting him, he was spectating me against a Wii Fit Trainer and during our match. He kicked me, which is very unsportsmanlike.

Though I didn't report him for that, I reported him for Network Manipulation because he was constantly kicking me out of the Arena no matter how many times I tried to go back. But now looking back, I should've reported him for Unsportsmanlike Behaviour. Oh well, just means less toxicity to run into. It's kind of hypocritical of him because he's learning to play Snake. :V

But anyway, on a brighter note; learning Chrom in replacement of Dr. Mario, but may try out Roy today to see who I prefer out of the two. Which I'll probably do with other members of the Marcina Discord later today. Or I can go back to trying out Pichu.

Also, my mother is currently not well, so I'm not doing any rounds today in the neighbouring villages. Oh well, just meaned I got to have a lie in today. And I might also look through my University stuff now to read through.

Last edited:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Also, my mother is currently not well, so I'm not doing any rounds today in the neighbouring villages. Oh well, just meaned I got to have a lie in today. And I might also look through my University stuff now to read through.

I hope your mom will feel better soon sis

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Ahhh, lots of stuff. Done a lot of weight loss (I was around 225 when I was first playing Smash 4 I think? Or maybe 210 lbs, I forgeeeettt) and now I'm 166 lbs, graduated University, have a part time job and I'm about to begin searching for full time again now that I just got over a killer cold.

Good luck with University, it may or may not murder you. Can't guarantee the safety of your mind, it's incredibly stressful, so don't feel too alone or anything if it gets to you. It sucks, but it's worth it for the good experiences and the degree.
Heyyy that's awesome! I'm glad you can accomplish all of that :D It definitely sounds like it paid off

And I will keep that in mind :o Life definitely gets more stressful as you get older >.> But I'm sure it'll all be worth it

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Look at her entire size compared to 5'4" Mac tho.
Oh wow he really is litt-
He's 5' 7", the same height as Fox.
His entire thing is being short
And I'm shorter than him
angryzpop.gif

And he's 17 so he's younger than me too. Short for his age, and I'm older and shorter smh.
Also someone found OoT adult Link's height a few days ago and he's 5'7" as well (and he's 17 y.o. too right), so, like, help me. this is my first post the the year so I need to put in a kaito momota best boy somewhere in the post so there.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
i used all of my free summon tickets this morning and the last one gave me a random +def -spd zelgius (whom i did not previously have in my catalogue). i was hoping for hríd, but now i don’t really want spend orbs to get him.

the merge update coming in february is such a great change. since a +1 merge neutralizes a unit’s bane, that means IV hunting just means hunting for the ideal boon, provided you can pull two copies of a given unit.

that also means that some of the random +1 units i have are going to be greatly improved. both my bb!charlotte and ylgr are +atk -spd, so neutralizing that bane is very much appreciated. i just wish i hadn’t merged my +atk -spd f!grima into the +hp -res one

D

Deleted member 189823

So I arrived into the U.S, yesterday. I've been here a couple of times, so I know a thing or two. Sadly it is, you really need money- or an actual vehicle, preferably. Especially in Florida...? We're used to either walking or taking a bus to places, in Buenos Aires (Argentina). You have access to pretty much anything, that way. It sucks when you either need to bug people, or pay an Uber. The public transport isn't amazing by the looks of it, either...takes about 1.5 - 2 hours to get from Margate to Miami (and vice-versa).

But it's not all complaints, and I'm hoping I don't just come across like that. You guys should feel grateful on the amount of competitiveness and variety you have in your reach. Chances are, you can go anywhere in the States with a little money and get to play amazing players a lot more often. I'll be here for two weeks, so chances are, I'll be able to attend to the next two weeklies at Versus Gaming Center. Probably the best place for tournaments- and closest, for me.

S StoicPhantom , looks like I'll be getting a console this Monday. I ordered it a couple days ago, and looks like I'll be able to get some practice by myself. Looks like I've no excuse left in the box.

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
But it's not all complaints, and I'm hoping I don't just come across like that. You guys should feel grateful on the amount of competitiveness and variety you have in your reach. Chances are, you can go anywhere in the States with a little money and get to play amazing players a lot more often. I'll be here for two weeks, so chances are, I'll be able to attend to the next two weeklies at Versus Gaming Center. Probably the best place for tournaments- and closest, for me.
Best of luck and have fun! :secretkpop: I'll check VGC's channel if any of your matches get uploaded

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
So I arrived into the U.S, yesterday. I've been here a couple of times, so I know a thing or two. Sadly it is, you really need money- or an actual vehicle, preferably. Especially in Florida...? We're used to either walking or taking a bus to places, in Buenos Aires (Argentina). You have access to pretty much anything, that way. It sucks when you either need to bug people, or pay an Uber. The public transport isn't amazing by the looks of it, either...takes about 1.5 - 2 hours to get from Margate to Miami (and vice-versa).

S StoicPhantom , looks like I'll be getting a console this Monday. I ordered it a couple days ago, and looks like I'll be able to get some practice by myself. Looks like I've no excuse left in the box.
No shame in experiencing culture shock. I live in the middle of nowhere so I require a car to go anywhere. It's actually difficult for me to imagine being in Europe and not having a car and being reliant on other modes of transportation

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I haven't played KH yet, but I definitely agree with your points on FFXV. That game's movement and combat feel absolutely awful to me. Imo it's one of the worst and unpolished combat systems Square has ever made. FF Type 0 did the real time action combat sooo much better and that's a PSP game...
I've only played KH1 and 2 since I never owned a PSP and I never got around to getting the ports or re-releases including the PS2 remake of Chains of Memories where its combat actually looks like it would be fun to play even if it's weird since you have to use cards to attack or do certain moves. I have played the a demo of Dream Drop Distance and from what I remember, I want to say it's closer to KH1 and 2 which might make sense since it wasn't developed by the current development team, SE's Division 5 or the Osaka team, but what I think might be the previous development team, SE's Division 1. I did want to mention that in my post along with other things, but I didn't want to make it seem like it's the Osaka team's fault and I felt like I was talking about way too many things. If anything, it's SE's fault when you consider the other games they made that had good combat.

Anyway, KH1 and 2 are old games, so expect dated controls, probably bad voice acting here and there, and weird gameplay stuff. Otherwise, they're still fun, especially if you like Disney, Final Fantasy, and want to experience a bizarre combination of them. KH1's combat is much more basic while KH2's is more involved with the introduction of the Reaction Command, basically a QTE mechanic that is very lenient and can function as a skill activation, parry, counter, dodge, and it is faster and flashier. Combat in all the games is awkward, though. Y'know, how in turn-based RPGs there is a menu to select from what you want your party members to do? Imagine that, but in real time. So, basic attacks are tied to that instead of being its own button which I think later games did. The PS2 controller had enough buttons to do that, but I guess developers were still figuring out control schemes back then. For reference, these are the controls for KH1: https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts/Controls.

Later games I don't think are bad or unplayable, but it's just that combat appears to have worsened for some reason. If BBS was basically KH2 as far as possible it would have been for a PSP game, but had more strategy elements going on which I think was the intent with the introduction of the Deck Command to make it so that special attacks and magic work based on cooldowns instead of using MP or sometimes being contextual, then I think its combat would have worked or at least looked better. That didn't happen and I don't think it was a PSP problem when you consider other PSP games having very fast and good combat. Case in point: Dissidia. I've always wanted to play the PSP Dissidia games because their combat looks amazing. The developers did a fantastic job at creating the sense of impact with each attack, making them look awesome, and also just making them work.

Square Enix is on and off when it comes to combat with I want to say more recent games being off. Some of it just doesn't make sense. In Final Fantasy XII, Balthier, Fran, and Penelo's have slower attack animations for specific weapons which nobody else deals with. It's also ironic because the weapons Balthier and Fran are slow with are the weapons they're associated with at least in official art. Balthier has slower animations for bows, crossbows, and guns, Fran has slower animations for bows, and Penelo has slower animations for crossbows and guns. In a turn-based RPG, this wouldn't really matter outside of being inconvenient, but FFXII is in real time and its combat is basically a MMORPG's, so using those weapons would result in lower DPS and guns are already slow firing to begin with in FFXII. That said, I think it's only really a problem against optional bosses since they would have higher health and are stronger. Fran also has the issue of in the original, vanilla version, her stats were Vaan's, but worse. So, she had good all-around stats, but they were lower than Vaan's which also meant her stats were generally lower than everyone else. Just why?

And then you have games like Dissidia, Kingdom Hearts 1, 2, and probably Chains of Memories, probably every main Final Fantasy game except for 1.0 XIV and XV, Final Fantasy Tactics, and some others I don't know about or can remember. They made a freaking fighting game, Dissidia, and it looked good and was on the PSP. What!? Also, does anyone remember The Bouncer? This was back when SquareSoft didn't merge with Enix yet. The Bouncer was a 3D beat 'em up. It's old, probably doesn't play as well as other beat 'em ups, but from what I remember, it was kind of decent.

Regarding FFXV, I haven't played it and I'm not going to until they release a GotY edition or whatever they want to call it. Still, every time I go to check out its gameplay, it just doesn't look good. The game looks amazing, but the combat looks awfully awkward and bland. I get that they wanted to make this game more grounded compared to Kingdom Hearts, at least Kingdom Hearts II, which was the idea back then with Versus XIII where things that didn't work for either game would have been used for the other. At the same time, it's Final Fantasy and this game features so many fantastical monsters where you'd expect a bit crazier combat. That's something Nioh does well where it's grounded compared to Ninja Gaiden, but also feels like a much faster Bloodborne. You can't combo enemies senselessly like in Ninja Gaiden, but you are still able to do more than in Bloodborne which lets Nioh create the thrill of fairly fast-paced, but dangerous combat. Speaking of toned down games, I feel like Dragon's Dogma has ruined open world, action RPGs for me when its combat is Devil May Cry's, but toned down. You could even say it's DMC1 to DMC2's combat since it was DMC3 that had even crazier combat.

So, FFXV doesn't look like it accomplishes flashy combat. Some of the animations I want to say are stupid like why they like taunting or acting like they did something extremely amazing after attacking. Gladio swings a massive sword around and it still doesn't look like it does crap. Come on, man. Functional combat I don't know because I have played it. Breath of the Wild's combat looks very simplistic since there doesn't seem to be a lot of animations. Link just slashes back and forth for the most part or stabs and thrusts with spears. He does have a fancy looking finisher with two-handed swords, but that's pretty much it compared to the previous 3D games having more varied attacks even if they were for show. Part of me feels like this was intended, though, since I feel like Breath of the Wild is trying to recreate the experience of the first Zelda game and combat wasn't the point of that game or earlier Zelda games. Exploration was and Breath of the Wild definitely accomplishes that in my opinion. That said, it surprisingly fails at making jump attacks impactful. They're like dinky little attacks compared to the slamming chops in the other games. Even Skyward Sword's jump attacks which didn't have the momentum from leaping forward like in the previous games had power behind the slash itself. Spin attacks with two-handed weapons are also a bit weird. It makes sense since they're heavy, but they don't look that great compared to spin attacks with one-handed swords. The rapid stabs from charging attack with spears looks broken.

I also removed a bit about The Witcher, particularly The Witcher 2 to 3, since I wasn't so sure on what I knew about the series. The rundown is that I think it suffers from the same issue as post-BBS Kingdom Hearts games. Geralt's animations are more flashy to show that, as a superhuman essentially, he's more agile than regular humans and that as a trained monster hunter, he wants to evade their attacks more than try and block them. The issue is that Geralt doesn't actually move that much faster because of those animations and compared to how his enemies move, especially the monsters he has to fight. He's not supposed to be Bayonetta, Dante, Raiden, Ryu Hayabusa, or whoever fast and be able to stomp the crap out of people, but I think he should have at least been more like the Bloodborne hunters or William of Nioh where he's relatively more agile or more like Kratos as he fought in God of War (2018) where he's more capable than a regular human or his opponents. There's also one attack animation in Witcher 3 where Geralt does a jumping spinning slash. It looks cool, but it looks like he does it too often and as a starting attack making it so it takes to long to attack. The attack reminds me of the Batman: Arkham games where Batman would do a flying sidekick and or punch, but he and the other playable characters only do that when you target an enemy far away from them. They don't do it if they're up close. All in all, I get the feeling that like in Birth By Sleep, Geralt's forced to dodge all the time, block here and there, abuse healing or protective spells and items, and wait for an opening. The combat arguably improved with each game, but I think it's only for The Witcher games.

And I'm shorter than him
View attachment 185719
And he's 17 so he's younger than me too. Short for his age, and I'm older and shorter smh.
Also someone found OoT adult Link's height a few days ago and he's 5'7" as well (and he's 17 y.o. too right), so, like, help me. this is my first post the the year so I need to put in a kaito momota best boy somewhere in the post so there.
Cloud's also 5' 7". :p

Lightning is also the same height which may or may not be a coincidence. Actually, she's 2 cm shorter than him at 171 cm.

Link's height is weird. In OoT, adult Link was as tall as most other people and apparently the scale in the Lakeside Laboratory is where you would find out he's about 1.7 m tall. In Twilight Princess, a little bit of Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild, I always got the feeling those Links were either short or everyone else was ridiculously taller than him. Kid Link is kid Link, so whatever on him, Ganondorf is both a Gerudo who are usually portrayed as being taller than Hylians and also because he sometimes takes on monstrous forms as Ganon, and Zelda is about Link's height or taller than him.

Zelda in Smash has always been like 6' (1.8288 m) for some reason. I've talked about it before I think, but Falco is 6' 2" (1.88 m) and Wolf is 6' (1.83 m). For the most part. I think Assault Falco and Wolf are taller, especially Assault Falco who is lanky as hell. Dude's like a walking stick. Brawl Wolf doesn't stand around much and Falco's idle has him bouncing around, but you can compare their standing heights to Snake where Solid Snake is 1.82 m tall during MGS1 and MGS2 before his body degenerated in MGS4 and they're as tall or slightly taller than him. Granted, Snake slouches, but if you use Snake as a reference, then Zelda is about as tall as Snake with Ultimate Zelda maybe being a bit shorter since she's wearing heeled boots.

Anyway, welcome to the shorter than 5' 7" club. :p

Edit: Freebie 5* L'Arachel (+HP, -Def) from the Tactics banner.

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Oh, good. I'll be getting my adapter sometime tomorrow or the next day, so no more excuses for me either. Am getting better with the knock off GC controller, but starting to think it's dropping inputs and maybe starting to fall apart.

Versus Gaming Center has one of the best Smash 4 Robin players, Dath, and used to have Esam and MVD. Should have some pretty good players, I think.

And yeah public transportation isn't so great here in the U.S. I also live in the middle of nowhere and need a car to get anywhere. Kind of wish we could replace these old coal trains, with one of those high speed transport ones.

D

Deleted member 189823

No shame in experiencing culture shock. I live in the middle of nowhere so I require a car to go anywhere. It's actually difficult for me to imagine being in Europe and not having a car and being reliant on other modes of transportation
Oh, good. I'll be getting my adapter sometime tomorrow or the next day, so no more excuses for me either. Am getting better with the knock off GC controller, but starting to think it's dropping inputs and maybe starting to fall apart.

Versus Gaming Center has one of the best Smash 4 Robin players, Dath, and used to have Esam and MVD. Should have some pretty good players, I think.

And yeah public transportation isn't so great here in the U.S. I also live in the middle of nowhere and need a car to get anywhere. Kind of wish we could replace these old coal trains, with one of those high speed transport ones.
Yeah, Versus/SFL has pretty solid players and community. I've met MVD on a couple ocassions. There's also players like Nick Riddle, Seibrik among others, whom weren't huge in Smash 4, but are pretty good Brawl veterans (and actually still pretty good).

Regarding the controller thing, are you getting a Bluetooth adapter? I'm somewhat considering it, though I don't know if I really need to pay an extra $15-20 if I don't really need it. I mostly got Joycons down, and my only concern is future controller viability for big tournaments and the like. I've also seen an adapter for Wii Classic Pro that can be plugged into a GC adapter...but then I'd have to buy one of those as well, so lol.

I forgot to mention, I kind of missed out on SCU. I really had no idea it was such a big deal, and only came to realise when I saw ZeRo was part of it...I feel kind of bad about it, but I find it pointless to get more upset than I need to. For all I knew, I thought it was just an overpriced regional. If I had at least anticipated, I would've considered going for Day 2 friendlies or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I got NY!Hrid one session after getting Micaiah. But ofc he's -atk/+hp bcuz ofc he would be ofc ofc ofc. I guess I'd use him as QR/Hone4 fodder anyway? Even though Hrid is a cute boi with a fancy birb, he's just a really bad color to be a bulky boi without an OP prf/native DC.

Speaking of OP I decided to invest in Sharena. She's been serving me so well in Aether Raids even without stat boosts. So she has her prf+effect, Bond Spd/Res (tyvm Lolizura you serve a purpose now), and her seal will be Bond Atk/Spd.

Meaning she'd have 46/51/47/34/27 stats and +2 extra atk/spd/def/res if she's with her battle BF. That's before active buffs and her weapon ignores all enemy active buffs. Making her the perfect bait unit in many situations and she can easily be a player phase gorl with proper positioning (I use Reposition lots so that's ez mode for me).

I wish I could do something similar with Anna, but her prf is pretty terrible. If she had more natural kill power she'd basically be a green Reinhardt since she could teleport to any nearby units. She's too frail to do Sharena's weird thing. Too weak to do what Alphonse does.

I am also 5'7". At my most bara and least pudding-y, I weighed 162 pounds.

A fit but not bulky man would weigh around 140 pounds.

So... Little Mac's secret has been exposT!
Little Anchor.jpg

Grats on the weight loss sis.

Now go use your newfound fitness to physically threaten Gawdess Sakurai into doing what must be done. :secretkpop:

What about it.
Zelda is a tol gorl. Probably taller than most of us irl. :^)

And I'm shorter than him
View attachment 185719
I am also 5'7". But I am stronk despite now being a pudding-y gorl and not a bara gorl. I will fite meen bulleez.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oh my, I'm even shorter than Little Mac... at 5'6.

I feel compelled to second Mac because I almost exclusively used him for my spirit hunting. I have 1301 / 1302 spirits (missing Partner Eevee) and also one copy of each spirit.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Regarding the controller thing, are you getting a Bluetooth adapter? I'm somewhat considering it, though I don't know if I really need to pay an extra $15-20 if I don't really need it. I mostly got Joycons down, and my only concern is future controller viability for big tournaments and the like. I've also seen an adapter for Wii Classic Pro that can be plugged into a GC adapter...but then I'd have to buy one of those as well, so lol.
Yep. Not only do I have concerns about dropped inputs, but I still find it a little uncomfortable. Even after using it almost exclusively for the last month, I still prefer my pro controller. I figure if I'm going to be doing this for possibly years to come, I might as well do it with the controller I prefer, so I can justify the cost. I don't like the analog triggers, they screw my shield game up sometimes and overall there isn't anything the GC controller does better. So I just decided to finally order an adapter and that way I can also have an extra controller if I ever need it, for a friend or someone.

I suppose in your case it would probably have to be whether your hands are uncomfortable or it holds you back competitively. If you manage with the Joycons fine, then maybe you don't need to spend that money if you don't want to. Buying two adapters for one controller is pretty lol, but if you really prefer your Classic Pro, then what the hell, might as well. You can still switch to the Joycons now and then, to keep up familiarity, if you are worried about tournament legality.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I miss Sheik's old voice. I don't think she's the same Zelda either. So, in Melee, Zelda was OoT Zelda and Sheik debuted in OoT making them the same Zelda. In Brawl and Smash 4, Zelda was TP Zelda and Sheik was based on a scrapped design for TP Sheik meaning even though Sheik didn't appear in TP, it's technically the same Zelda if she were Sheik in TP. In Ultimate, Zelda is ALttP/ALBW Zelda -- we will not get into this argument again -- and Sheik is some Sheik wearing BotW's Sheikah set armor. If anything, Ultimate Sheik should have been voiced by Yu Shimamura who voiced Skyward Sword and BotW Zelda. Also, apparently Sheik's needles show up on her left hand when you charge and store them. It kind of looks goofy, but it makes more sense since it's not like she's suddenly throwing out needles from nowhere after charging Needle Storm.

For more fun things about voices, in a match between Fox and Wolf or Falco and Wolf, there's a chance they're being voiced by the same person. Mike West voices Fox and Wolf while Kosuke Takaguchi voices Falco and Wolf. West was the original voice actor for Fox who returned for Star Fox 64 3D and voiced Wolf starting with 64 3D, but people thought it was Jay Green, the voice of Leon Powalski, who did it while Takuguchi started voicing Falco in 64 3D and Wolf in Star Fox Zero. This is also the first Smash game where Falco's Japanese voice wasn't done by Hisao Egawa. Basically, all spacies are the same. :p

And in other related Falco stuff, the animation change to his Up Smash makes it hit higher up at the beginning with the first hit. The first frame, frame 7, looks like it starts a little over Falco's waist. but since Falco jumps up, characters who end up in a low profile position like during ZSS's Boost Kick landing animation can avoid it. This happened with Smash 4 Up Smash before 1.1.4 since its frame 8 hit was also around waist level while frame 7, the new starting frame 1.1.4 changed it to, was at ground level. It's not that big of a deal when you consider that his Up Smash in Ultimate is a different move compared to Smash 4 as more of an anti-air considering how long its second hit lingers above him now, but it is kind of crappy since his Up Smash and the Star Fox characters' Up Smashes in general, were all able to hit low and in comparison to the current Up Smashes they have, Falco's has the shortest horizontal range and the most narrow of range as Fox's is a backflip and his may more may not received a hitbox size increase while Wolf's starts off with good horizontal range and then good vertical range. Changing the startup frame wouldn't work in this case as on frame 6, Falco's hasn't kicked out yet. Also, him having a frame 6 Up Smash would probably piss off people. Adding a hitbox near his other leg or making the hitbox larger could work.

Also, this is just me, but Wolf's Up Smash seems kind of weak in kill power at times. I don't think it was strong in Brawl and it's not like Wolf needs even stronger Smashes, but still. I think it's the knockback values. The second hit has a very high base knockback of 85, but its growth is only 65 and it does 12%. Swapping it could probably work.

Speaking of Up Smashes, I have no idea why there's such a difference between Samus and Dark Samus's Up Smash where for whatever reason, Dark Samus's first hitbox of Up Smash hits lower than Samus's. There might also be some differences with how their Up Smash connects too. I get why something like having different elemental effects can change how a move works e.g. their Dtilts, but their Up Smashes shouldn't have different hitboxes when they're using the same move.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
NO JOHNS
I see a John though. The potted plant is named John. smh
Hating on people named John.

:secretkpop:

Anyway, how's it going Mob fans? *Insert Marcina Discord emote here*

Going to be having my one-to-one session in a bit, and to start off my year of 2019 on the Anime side, I've gone and started watching Hinamatsuri. I'm really enjoying it from what I've seen from the pilot.

Hoping I'll enjoy it more as I watch more. And I also plan on watching Mob Psycho 100 II. (Also hoping to find a chance to watch Bloom Into You, either coming out on Blu-Ray/DVD or just give in and sign up for HiDIVE's services.)

I also feel the need to play more of those SEGA games too, maybe later today after I've done some University work.

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Great. Now every time I kill DK it'll feel like I'm murdering a poor orphan. I guess I'm Count Olaf now. :^(

btw 10/10 bayonetta animation

NO JOHNS
pls gib us the switch code so we can harass you with friend requests.

McKnightlíght McKnightlíght When are we going out to eat? It's been years, and I'm starving >:^(
McKnightlíght McKnightlíght x r_greening1 r_greening1 confirmed.

I’m not even sure what I contribute to this social anymore so here’s this neat ice climber combo I saw
https://twitter.com/harasen221/status/1082064310824722432?s=21
Just do what EODM07 EODM07 does and check in daily.
So we know you're not being held prisoner by Gawdess Sakurai for partaking in a bannable character's social. :secretkpop:

Maybe post some high quality sass gifs/pictures and/or bara and/or yaoi and/or w/e. Y'know. Normal stuff.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going fans of Fire Emblem games? :ultlucina:

Wait, what am I saying? Fire Emblem fans hate all the games. :secretkpop:

Just catching up on a Smash Ultimate tournament I didn't see last night, well time zones and all that. Whup-tee-doo.

But I've been watching more of Hinamatsuri; that show is wholesome. I love it.

And about to get some work done for University as well, I'm looking at a busy called HS2 (High Speed 2), and looking at the pros and cons of the system. Afterwards, I dunno whether to play some SEGA Games from the Mega Drive/Genesis Classics or more Smash. Hmm...

D

Deleted member 189823

Am I the only one that keeps seeing Libra in the blonde Lucina skin.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Zelda’s pivot grab in Ultimate has more range than pre-1.0.4 SSB4 zelda pivot Grab. I discovered so recently after looking at some zelda data. Longer range than prepatch pivot Grab.

Yeah, anyone remember that ridiculous range?

Don’t let Sakurai know

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Zelda’s pivot grab in Ultimate has more range than pre-1.0.4 SSB4 zelda pivot Grab. I discovered so recently after looking at some zelda data. Longer range than prepatch pivot Grab.

Don’t let Sakurai know
I'm a fake Zelda main so I don't know how good/bad that is. Got any visual cues?

I used Pivot Grab a ton, and it doesn't seem anything crazy to me unless I suck at it or something.

Also, does anyone know if Megaman's latch bomb has a Parry glitch? I parried all the hits on like three different ocassions.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Speaking of shocking plot twists, JACK/SOLDIER 76 IS OFFICIALLY GAY (confirmed).

Though people should've known this, because he was in Dream Daddy which is clearly a canon OW AU.
it's ya gay boi.jpg

ur not slick, Blizz + DDADDS

Though real talk, he has been confirmed to have no family (and obviously no outside-OW-friends) yet there's a picture of him with a brown haired dude that he's staring at intently while Ana is staring off into the distance (in the Christmas Comic where Tracer was confirmed a lezgorl). But yeah, the reveal was apparently NoT ORgaNIc aNd FOrcED aND iT RuiNS SOldiER AS a ChAraCTEr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After it was announced in the most casual way during the short story Basset and was foreshadowed in the very comic where Tracer is confirmed to be a lady-lover. Like. I get people are subconsciously bias and still have a problem with gay things, but it's really brain-hurty to see children do multiple 360s to deconfirm Jack's gay. Your CoD Dad with the Top Tier Teabag is super manly and hot but also gay. Get over it, kiddos.

Don’t let Sakurai know
Well we can't pass other characters or phase into them anymore, so pivots in general aren't as powerful. A lot of the pivot grabs are pretty generous in size so they can try to beat dash attacks from the looks of it. But people just spam aerials now so it's not going to be as effective as Sakurai hoped it would be. Characters who lean forward also have some powerful pivots in general, which includes Zelda's F-tilt. So it's garbo normally and kinda useful for spacing when utilizing pivots.

But then again - Imagine trying to use a mediocre ground kit on a slow character in a game that's all about aerials and speed.

Something I just recently learned that's probably common knowledge is Peach can CHOOSE her Side Smash weapon now by activating the Smash and then tilting the attack upwards (P A N), sideways (club), or down (racket). I wanted to share the information just in case there's a clueless gorl like me here. eeeeeee

Top Bottom