• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Man, I was just labbing with :4fox: to learn how to deal with him but this character feels really good to move around with, even if his specs are pretty much the opposite of what I'm generally comfortable playing. Maybe I should give this character a shot as a secondary.

I foresee multiple potential issues that will probably put me off once I start playing him against humans though (namely laggy af smashes, slow af upB, and less range than what I'm generally comfortable with) so I don't expect this to last long.
Like I said, Fox is probably one of the easiest characters to use once you understand the basics. Mastering him is what makes the difference like you can play Fox in Melee, but can you play Fox in Melee to his fullest potential? He has speed without feeling uncontrollable, he has power without feeling like a heavyweight, and he has combos without feeling technical. If anyone should be overused in SSB4, it should be him. People would complain about too many Foxes, but not him being OP. Even Diddy seems less safe and less beginner's friendly since at a basic level Diddy doesn't have much besides throw to aerial. Fox has that, good footsies, the ability to combo off of Dash Attack and aerials, hit confirms with Nair or Jab, and he has an effective, but predictable recovery while Diddy requires you to charge it correctly for vertical recoveries.

Fox, Mario, Diddy, and the Pits should have been the characters overused online and in tournaments because they're just simple, but effective characters that anyone can pick up and play. Hell, let's add Yoshi too. Of those 6, it's Diddy by a long stretchy arm followed by Fox who is common, but not too common as Captain Falcon and Diddy. Mario and the Pits are like handful of players and Yoshi is uncommon too.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
K

NEVER going back to Town and City again. Game chugs slower than the PSVita port of Jak and Daxter 2 and 3. C'mon Nintendo.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
My recent mindset of "less utilt, more usmash" with Rosalina isn't helping me play Fox well

how ironic that "usmash more with Fox" isn't the right answer for once

imo Fox is a character that is really well suited for beginners: useful projectile, reflector for screwing up, fast and unlaggy attacks, fast movement speed, average recovery

Also is apparently one of the most technical characters in Melee and PM but I don't see how
like is it just "how much shine can you do"

imo:
beginner characters: :4fox:see above:4mario::4pit::4darkpit:simple characters:4falcon:fast speed + high power = lol:4lucario:aura:4diddy:HOOHAH:4sonic:2fast2furious:4lucina:no tipper to worry about:4bowser:fat + fast
noob characters (only when used in nooby ways):4link::4tlink::4samus:projectile spam = win:4littlemac:don't jump + smashes = win:4kirby:stone + kirbycide = win?
super technical/high learning curve characters: :4duckhunt::4megaman::4pacman::4olimar:projectile multitasking:4metaknight:hype combos but zero range:4peach:floating:4shulk:arts:4robinm:books?

idk tho
Amusingly I sucked horribly with Fox when I tried him at release.

I have a lot of thoughts about the rest of your post but I'll just leave it at the following:
:4lucario:is a good scrubstomper but becomes exponentially more difficult to do well with when facing opponents that understand his limitations and don't needlessly pile on damage when he's already at kill percent.
:4pit::4darkpit::4yoshi::4falcon::4diddy::4sonic:are good straightforward characters with good straightforward buttons, and are probably the characters I would point a beginner looking to do well toward.
I would venture a guess that :4peach::4pacman::4shulk:are among the hardest characters to play optimally.

Soul.

FG Pikachu "mains" are so bad.
Short hop grounded jolts, no dtilt, no grabs, no nothing.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Sorry Josh, I gotta go. Matches were a little laggy but good otherwise. I'm experimenting more with his customs as you could probably see. Chef customs seem decent, I suspect he can get some impressive combos off of XXL Chef (about 8% per hit is lol). Judge customs are sidegrades, I'm less impressed with Chain Judge after learning the low numbers are punishable on hit. Up-Bs seem fun be they'll take getting used to. Default Oil Panic is best for most MUs (definitely Robin IMO). Panic Overload is way too laggy to be consistently useful though I loled at how far it reaches.

Both Thunder customs seem like they'd be better than default depending on the MU (Thunder+ is crazy strong, wow). Fire Wall seems pretty bad tbh.

I could still see the MU being even just because of how much Game & Watch has to respect the Levin Sword. Huge range, lingering hitboxes, and high power. I really like how fluid you make Robin look, it's a far cry from what I'm used t lo seeing from him.

That DAir kill first game was beautiful IMO.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
I think you're feeling like you're doing badly because you're starting to feel WFT's disadvantages. We've always said the trainers are difficult characters because of their lacking range, and so they're always gonna have some trouble against a vast majority of the cast, but at least I think WFT has more general advantages than Zelda does :'D

Don't get disheartened by that, though. You're pretty good with the trainer and you've managed to surprise a lot of people with him. Tbh I think the Villager MU is bad-ish for WFT, but you still manage to make the fights pretty close and tight!

nevermind about Rosalina, I suck with her

Welp I'm back to bottom blonde boy and blond tier princess
More like....^

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
nevermind about Rosalina, I suck with her

Welp I'm back to bishi blonde boy and bottom tier princess
b78.gif

Anyway. Got caught up in Splatoon news so didn't get huge chance to be on. Still have 2 hoursish to be on.

But man, Splatoon is so hype! Even with the lack of voice chat, (which I would never use but I'm worried how that will affect sells), there are so many awesome new details. <3

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500

Shulk seems to be taking some notes from Zelda's fsmash... that's not a good idea :^)

if someone falls out of his fsmash again i'm proclaiming it at the second coming of Zelda

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646

Shulk seems to be taking some notes from Zelda's fsmash... that's not a good idea :^)
if someone falls out of his fsmash again i'm proclaiming it at the second coming of Zelda
How did that first hit even get him...?

Even as a Shulk main I'm confused by his range lol

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Dedede's outstretched arm got hit by the first hit

I've seen Dedede's jab and ftilt lose to a ton of weird things because of that

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I think you're feeling like you're doing badly because you're starting to feel WFT's disadvantages. We've always said the trainers are difficult characters because of their lacking range, and so they're always gonna have some trouble against a vast majority of the cast, but at least I think WFT has more general advantages than Zelda does :'D

Don't get disheartened by that, though. You're pretty good with the trainer and you've managed to surprise a lot of people with him. Tbh I think the Villager MU is bad-ish for WFT, but you still manage to make the fights pretty close and tight!
I just can't deal with her specific problems, any character with disjointe beat her. Range is a problem for me. Killing is also hard. She also can't approach.

I pick samus because her one problem is killing and it's not that hard. She just feels more natural. Idk, I really like her.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon

you don't play much pit do you, he takes zelda Fsmashes to a whole new level

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Like I said, Fox is probably one of the easiest characters to use once you understand the basics. Mastering him is what makes the difference like you can play Fox in Melee, but can you play Fox in Melee to his fullest potential? He has speed without feeling uncontrollable, he has power without feeling like a heavyweight, and he has combos without feeling technical. If anyone should be overused in SSB4, it should be him. People would complain about too many Foxes, but not him being OP. Even Diddy seems less safe and less beginner's friendly since at a basic level Diddy doesn't have much besides throw to aerial. Fox has that, good footsies, the ability to combo off of Dash Attack and aerials, hit confirms with Nair or Jab, and he has an effective, but predictable recovery while Diddy requires you to charge it correctly for vertical recoveries.

Fox, Mario, Diddy, and the Pits should have been the characters overused online and in tournaments because they're just simple, but effective characters that anyone can pick up and play. Hell, let's add Yoshi too. Of those 6, it's Diddy by a long stretchy arm followed by Fox who is common, but not too common as Captain Falcon and Diddy. Mario and the Pits are like handful of players and Yoshi is uncommon too.
Fox doesn't have range. Neither does Mario. It's one thing that Diddy has that really gives him an edge in ease of use.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Here are a few combos I found with Din's Blaze so far. I love this custom! Its great for defensive play since you can cover yourself in a ticking time bomb or deny opponents a part of the stage momentarily. It's also really good at setting up traps and combos if you can get the positioning right. This move is going to be awesome for mind games lol.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
I just can't deal with her specific problems, any character with disjointe beat her. Range is a problem for me. Killing is also hard. She also can't approach.

I pick samus because her one problem is killing and it's not that hard. She just feels more natural. Idk, I really like her.
Yeah I was really interested in WFT back when she was announced because I really like comedic characters, but I stopped even trying a while ago because of the same reasons. I think the only good things about her are her vertical juggles, her nair and her recovery, cause honestly even SS is a pretty subpar chargeable projectile. The healing isn't even meaningful tbh.

Be careful with Samus. She doesn't have a particularly good air game ever since they removed her sex kick. Uair could be good but people fall out of it all the goddamn time. She *is* better than Brawl, though, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Gorl, Samus has more issues than killing. Charge shot is the life blood of Samus and it kills beautifully.

You probably just don't realize how big of an approach problem Samus has because you are used to Zelda.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Gorl, Samus has more issues than killing. Charge shot is the life blood of Samus and it kills beautifully.

You probably just don't realize how big of an approach problem Samus has because you are used to Zelda.
Really? I don't think she ever needs to either. Bair is really strong and sweetspotted Fsmash. Usmash would be good if people wouldn't pop out of it. Legit, it's less reliable than Zelda's fsmash
Yeah I was really interested in WFT back when she was announced because I really like comedic characters, but I stopped even trying a while ago because of the same reasons. I think the only good things about her are her vertical juggles, her nair and her recovery, cause honestly even SS is a pretty subpar chargeable projectile. The healing isn't even meaningful tbh.

Be careful with Samus. She doesn't have a particularly good air game ever since they removed her sex kick. Uair could be good but people fall out of it all the goddamn time. She *is* better than Brawl, though, that's for sure.
Samus' Nair is basically like Robins and Toon Links. Its a pretty good nair. She has pretty good combos after dthrow.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Bizzaro's reputation of disgracing his opponents instills fear in you even before you pick up the controller.

I mean. Really. The Ganondorf chant in melee is top tier chant.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
^This. I'm up to MP2 with 2 sky temple keys remaining. The MP Trilogy is a steal at $20 on nintendo E shop.
Those Sky Temple keys were a fricking nightmare to get. Do you know what the final boss is? I hope not, because it's pretty amazing if you're not expecting it.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
@ Ffamran Ffamran
I'm just catching up on all sorts of things today!

I'm like 95% sure that fair just clanked with the hydrant in the falco v pac replay

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Really? I don't think she ever needs to either. Bair is really strong and sweetspotted Fsmash. Usmash would be good if people wouldn't pop out of it. Legit, it's less reliable than Zelda's fsmash

Samus' Nair is basically like Robins and Toon Links. Its a pretty good nair. She has pretty good combos after dthrow.
Bair is really strong and fsmash is great. Falling uair is amazing. But if your opponent stands a dash attack's distance away so they can react to whatever you do, Samus falls apart much like Zelda. Except Samus doesn't have the elevator, or a normal grab. Screw attack OOS isn't strong enough for people to care about most of the time.

Her combo game is amazing though. I love playing as Samus, but if you're somewhat looking for a MAIN, she will frustrate you too much when playing against her multiple bad MU's.

Top Bottom