• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Change is sometimes necessary, but that doesn't make it inherently good, just necessary.
"Good" is very subjective here. Change is part of the process of destruction and recreation. Some things have to be wrecked or ruined for better things to be built upon them, so I'd say change itself cannot be classified as good or bad. The consequences of change can be good or bad for some, but change itself is something you can't oppose to.

Even if a "bad" change is made, it will eventually be corrected into something better, etc.

[

We've been over this.... Ganondorf has just as much viability as Link in this game, and both Link and Ganondorf are better than Zelda.... Also, seriously? Mii gunfighter? They are like the masters of spacing. They are lowmid tier at the very least!
Bro.

Bro, you missed this part of the post.

Lucina will always be bottom tier not because she's bad, but because she's unfortunately very redundant. Marth is not wonderful in this game as he has been before, and while I don't actually think he's LOW, the fact that Lucina is a bad Marth makes her pointless in the competitive scene. If someone wants to use her and rips holes with her, then good for them! Being bottom tier doesn't mean you can't win in the end.

But no matter how many times I state this, people are still always offended by their character being called "bottom tier" :'D

Also, @ SBphiloz4 SBphiloz4 I love how tsundere you are always <3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

... did I ever mention I can't keep up with this thread?
I know how you feel. Somestimes I take a nap and come back to 10 more pages. I usually read about 20-30 messages before giving up on reading.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Looking at the hitbox data he actually gained range on moves that weren't fsmash

But the thing is fair isn't the only thing that got lag added, more like everything in his kit did on top of damage nerfs (i.e. tipper nair damage dropped 19%→11% and had a lot more end lag added). The character is both less rewarding and less safe (some stuff's even punishable on hit at lower percents now), he is numerically lacking outside of tipper fsmash.

And then Lucina's numbers are even worse than Marth's...
You just made me curious... I just checked Falco's frame data throughout the games. Thanks to @Xeylode for the In-Depth Falco Frame Data and @Bones0, @Kadano, @Seikand, and @Magus420 for the Falco Hitboxes and Frame Data.

As of patch 1.05 for SSB4 Falco.
Move Hit Frames|:4falco:|:falco:|:falcomelee:
Jab|2-4, 10-12, 18-22, 23-27, 28-32, 33-37, (infinite), 42-43|2-5, 9-???, ???, (infinite)|2-3, 6-7, 7-8, 13-14, 19-20, 25-26, 31-32, (infinite)
Dash Attack|8-11 or 12-17|4-17|4-17
Ftilt|6-8|6-8|5-9
Utilt|5-9, 12-16|4-9, 12-16|5-11
Dtilt|7-9|7-9|7-9
Side Smash|17-19 or 20-20|16-20 or 21-21|12-21
Up Smash|8-12, 14-19|8-17|7-15
Down Smash|7-9|7-9|6-10
Nair|3-5, 6-9, 14-17, 21-23|3-5, 6-9, 14-17, 21-24|4-31
Fair|12-17, 18-23, 24-29, 30-34, 35-36|6-33 (multi-hits), 34-35|6-8, 16-18, 24-26, 33-35, 43-45
Bair|4-5 or 7-11|4-7 or 8-19|4-19
Uair|10-14|10-14|8-9, 11-14
Dair|16-18 or 19-31|5-7 or 8-21|5-24
Grab|8-9|6-7|7-8
Dash Grab|10-11|11-12|12-13
Pivot Grab|11-12|9-10|N/A
Optional: Some frame data analysis and comparison.
What changed throughout the game and what stayed the same or were similar throughout the games? Falco's Jab remained as a frame 2 Jab each game, but acted differently with Melee's being the fastest to transition from Jab 1 to Jab 2, but the Rapid Jab parts seem to be similar except for the lack of frame data on Brawl Falco's infinite which could be assumed as 6 frames in between each Rapid Jab. In other words, his Rapid Jab stuck close to each other in transition. Still, could you imagine SSB4 or even Brawl Falco with his Melee Jab frame data? SSB4 Fox's Jab cancel is insane, but Falco who gets even more out of grabs?

Dash Attack was only changed in SSB4 where Falco gained 5 frames of start up and a late hit. While it remains a powerful tool through each game, SSB4 with his previous frame 4 Dash Attack would be even stronger. Ftilt just gained 1 frame of start up in Brawl and remained as so in SSB4 and lost a frame of end hit frame. Nothing much to write about that. Utilt actually reflects his Melee Utilt instead of his Brawl Utilt which was faster by 1 frame in hit, but the second hit was the same. Once again, nothing much to say, especially since Utilt is now a double hit beginning with Brawl. Dtilt, surprisingly stays the same through each game.

Side Smash progressively gets slower each game, but not as much between Brawl and SSB4 and the end frames stay the same between Melee and Brawl while losing 1 frame in SSB4. That said, it's not that different, right? Well, I don't know the IASA frames or whatever where Falco can act out. Up Smash is similar between games as well, with it gaining 1 frame of start up from Melee and gaining 2 frames per game for end frames. It's similar, but with Up Smash being a double hit in SSB4. Down Smash gains a frame of start up and loses a frame of end frame from Melee to Brawl.

Nair is faster by 1 frame starting in Brawl. Between Brawl and SSB4, is the same except for losing a frame of end frame. Between Melee and Brawl, it became a multi-hit instead of a sex kick which stayed out 8 frames longer. Fair became slower from Brawl, being 6 frames slower in start up while ending at the same frames. As for Melee, it's out for less. Bair also stayed the same in hit frame, but SSB4's lasts the least ending at frame 11 while both Melee and Brawl ended at 19. Also, starting in Brawl, it gained a late hit. Uair lasts the same between all games with Melee being the fastest and a double hit. So, nothing much to say, except that basically between Melee and Brawl, Uair just became the second hit of Melee Uair. Dair... A frame 5 spike. Yeah, it had to change in my opinion as either a fast, but weak spike or a strong, but slow spike. From Melee and Brawl to SSB4, it gained 12 frames of start up. Between Melee and Brawl, it lost 3 frames of end hit frames and gained a late hit.

Falco's grabs are wonky and don't stay consistent. Falco's fastest Grab was in Brawl, Melee, then SSB4 while his fastest Dash Grab was SSB4, Brawl, then Melee, and Pivot Grab which I don't know if it exists in Melee, became slower in SSB4 by 3 frames also Pivot Grab.

Aside from engine changes affect how the games were played and therefore changing Falco's play style in each game which can't be helped, what "killed" Falco was one change: Blaster which allowed him to approach and force approaches while tacking on damage. In Melee, Falco shoots at frame 23 and every 24 frames per shot on the ground while he shoots at frame 13 and every 16 frames per shot in the air and autocancels whenever Falco touches the ground. In Brawl: frame 12 on the ground with a total of 56 frames from shooting to holstering and frame 10 in the air with autocancel frames from 1-41 while the move last from I think if I'm reading and thinking about it right, frames 10 for the shot to 41 for the holster. Yeah... That's a monster. I don't know when SSB4's Blaster autocancels or if it even autocancels. Here's the thing: It looks worse than Melee's Blaster which from watching videos of Falco using it, was not as horrible as Brawl's laser wall. Hell, they could have kept Melee's Blaster's frame data, made the lasers travel about a third of FD, and made the autocancel window at frame 17 or something where Falco has to shoot first before he lands or else. Everything else about Falco pretty much stayed the same, was changed by a frame or two, and was similar enough that it didn't really matter.

Edit: Why did I post this in the Zelda Social again...

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I like to pretend there was a lot of discussion about the intricacies of dealing with Falco leading up to this that required an in-depth analysis of how he's changed from previous games.

Now the Zeldas know what they need to know to take down the feathered menace! :4zelda:

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
"Good" is very subjective here. Change is part of the process of destruction and recreation. Some things have to be wrecked or ruined for better things to be built upon them, so I'd say change itself cannot be classified as good or bad. The consequences of change can be good or bad for some, but change itself is something you can't oppose to.

Even if a "bad" change is made, it will eventually be corrected into something better, etc.
I'm not ignoring this. You've given me something to think about (whether I ultimately agree or disagree) and I don't want you to think I just skimmed past this.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Baby because posting it in the Falco social would be like shouting in space :'D

I always assume you post all this info about Falco because you haven't got much people to discuss it with :(, but all your data is always welcome here! <3

Falco's dair really got butchered in this game, damn.

Good.

I'm not ignoring this. You've given me something to think about (whether I ultimately agree or disagree) and I don't want you to think I just skimmed past this.

Oh yeah, don't worry about it. I'm glad I could give you something to think about (I think). In any case, don't take it too seriously or think about it too deeply. My point is similar to what I said before about life being like a carousel. You go up and down and up and down and really there's nothing you can do to stop the changes, so it's better to use change itself to one's advantage and take risks.

Most of culture-defining classics in all forms of art and entertainment were born this way in the end.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
18 notifications and all I did was shower wtf.
#showerthoughts: Why are we not calling the elevator the Zeldavator?
If yew want to play against our best Zelda I'd say go challenge @ S.F.L.R_9 S.F.L.R_9 or @GingerGaymer. I no longer use Zelda and am now a mop. I will still spread optimism and think that she's mid.
Ty for the compliment sis, but...
I no longer use Zelda and am now a mop.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
LOL :laugh:

This thread is one of the greatest thing to had happened to this site in along time.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

I always assume you post all this info about Falco because you haven't got much people to discuss it with :(, but all your data is always welcome here! <3

Good.
No, it had to be butchered as either a fast, weak spike or a slow, strong spike. Could you imagine Ganondorf with a frame 10 Dair? Yeah, that's even more powerful than Falco's despite being 5 frames slower than his old Dair and 6 frames faster than his current Dair. Should I mention how if Ganondorf had a frame 10 Dair, it would be the same speed as his Ftilt, Dtilt, and Bair? In other words, he would have have a ludicrous Dair slower than his Jab by 2 frames, slower than his Nair by 3 frames, and slower than his Uair by 4 frames. Yeah, that's what Falco's Dair was in Melee and Brawl. It was insane. Even then, even then, it wouldn't have mattered that much since Falco would need to find a way to set it up without his godplayer lasers from Brawl or his regular zoning game in Melee. Hell, take away Falco's Blaster completely and he'll drop below bottom tier since now he doesn't have anything to interrupt people and U-throw and B-throw can't kill anymore. One change. Just one change did this to Falco. I'd say that if Falco had his Melee Blaster frame data or something similar to it, he'd be a definite mid to mid-high tier without a question unlike now where people think he's mid, low-mid, lower than low, or nonexistent.

Now, try it with Zelda. Let's change it so that Zelda's Din's Fire didn't put her into free fall, or that Phantom Slash could be stored, or that her Up Smash and Side Smash didn't have people fall out of them, or make it so that her Fair was more like Palutena's Fair meaning, or her Ftilt being faster, or make Zelda's movement faster. One change could make Zelda better to the point where the right change could make her go from low or mid tier to high to mid-high tier. Just one.

Take Diddy, let's make it so the hitbox is less, or make his limbs not stretch anymore, or make his Smashes and aerials slower. Take Sheik, now make it so her aerials have more landing lag. Take Toon Link and give him the Monado. One change.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I think I just saw AlmostLegendary in the ladder

I'm so tempted to challenge him to a fight and beat him with the character he considers one of the worst in the game. The problem is that he plays Rosalina and I'm not too good with that MU.
Oh...thanks...That makes me feel so much better about myself. ;_; *Sobs*

:p

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I feel like I'm slowly becoming Obama or something with the whole, "One change", thing I've been saying. :p

2016, everyone. One change. :p

Soul.

You know when you say tier lists should be taken with a grain of salt this reminds me of Brawl.

someone explain this i can't even omg

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Hyrule Warriors rant 1.0

Spent most of the day collecting Skulltulas from the Adventure Map/Master Quest map. Overall wasn't too bad, except when I had to use Zelda's Baton and Lana's Time Portal. But yay, Skulltula completion for both of those maps! Will be working on the Twilight Princess map when I get the chance. Anyway, while hunting these spiders, I started to understand more and more of each character, even ones I used to be completely lousy with. Yay progress.

And my analysis so far of the characters/weapons/how I do with them...

Mocha's "yay I can use decently" characters:

Sheik: Harp is magic. That is all. If only Zelda had this weapon instead.
Ruto: Spamming Surf all day baby. My only gripe is enemy weak gauges, unless they're under water blight
Link: Master Sword/Knight Sword... easiest weapon to use in the game imo. His other weapons are cool too.
Zelda: Rapier and Dominion Rod is fun, though I think I need to explore more with these weapons. Baton can dip.

Mocha's "wow, I'm starting to understand this character more now and can do a few things" characters:

Cia: Really disliked this char at first, but was able to pull through the war of her laughing, and... purple stuff did work.
Ghirahim: Could not use this char at all for ages, but I'm starting to get the hang of him. This one's got that sass, girls.
Zant: Bizarre char, but when I found out how his red meter worked, started to have a bit of fun with him.
Ganondorf: Don't feel like I learned anything new other than using his purple meter in some situations. Still... <3
Fi: Her regular attacks are tricky to keep up with, but I think I getting the timing of her combos now. Feels kinda simple.
Lana (Time Portal): YES I FINALLY UNDERSTAND HOW THIS WEAPON WORKS. Kinda fun but bit too slow for me.

Mocha's "I kinda understand but don't" characters/aka neutrals:

Link (weapons other than the Master Sword/Knight Sword): They're all fun, but haven't spent much time with them.
Darunia (Swinging around at the speed of sound... got places to go now, gotta follow my - oh wait)
Lana (Book of Secrets): Probably the weapon I'm most comfy with using of hers, but I still don't fully understand it yet.
Impa: Impa's cool.
Young Link: Cause DLC and haven't spent much time on him yet. Yeah I know about Fierce Deity stuff.
Tingle: Same as above
Wizzro: Not really sure about choice of moves with this char, other than his spin around crowd clearer
Volga: I literally just turn into a dragon, and mix up with fire breath.
Midna Twili Form: Her weapon looks amazing, just haven't used it enough.
Midna (Imp?): Yeah I could def use some improvement with her...

Mocha's "NO" characters:

Agitha (don't hate me @Macchiato ): Okay so other than the beetle to spam against officers a million times... I just. Meh.
Lana (Deku Spear): How to use? I mean, I can use it "okaaay-ish" but idk.
Zelda (Baton): ... what is there to say? Baton is S4ash Zelda. Rapier/Dominion Rod is Sm4sh Sheik.

Yep. And I feel like I'm missing someone...

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572

Good.

Oh yeah, don't worry about it. I'm glad I could give you something to think about (I think). In any case, don't take it too seriously or think about it too deeply. My point is similar to what I said before about life being like a carousel. You go up and down and up and down and really there's nothing you can do to stop the changes, so it's better to use change itself to one's advantage and take risks.

Most of culture-defining classics in all forms of art and entertainment were born this way in the end.
I just don't think it is wise to debate without having things all thought out. I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you either though :/

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I just realized that now I'm averaging 4 likes for every post I made.

I-I-I didn't think I was this liked--. Kyaa, don't do this to me, people~
I want to get negative likes, I want to be hated so much that mods make sure to take away likes from me. or turn my like button into a hate button

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Midna (Imp?): Yeah I could def use some improvement with her...
Regular Attack > Regular Attack > Strong Attack > Dodge > Repeat.

Endlessly juggle enemies and officers alike. Eat up boss meters too. Get the upgrade that allows you to do better damage against shielded enemies and you can kill an officer like Zant by just pounding his block fairly quickly actually.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
She does have a few things better.

Her dancing blade gives a higher verticle boost.
Her hurtbox is smaller.
Her Usmash and Dancing blade are better due to having no tipper.

I wouldn't say that she's that behind
Dancing Blade you may have a point on (I don't play either character so I can't say); smaller hurtbox is negligible. In most cases it works against her since her range is actually shorter than Marth's. USmash and DSmash you may have a point on, but they're much more potent from Marth when sweetspotted.

Here's the way I see it: the reasons you use Marth over other sword users are tippers, edgeguarding, Shield Breaker, and walk speed. Of those, Lucina has nothing on him. When I fight Lucina, the only moves I'm scared of are FSmash, Shield Breaker, and Crescent Slash (UThrow at high percents). I'm scared of all of those fighting Marth but to a greater degree as well as several others. I don't think she's bottom tier; Marth's design is too solid for that (even with the many nerfs he received). I respect the creative choice to make her a distinct character but there is literally no reason to use her over Marth at top-level play.

And seriously, Marth even beats Lucina out in the attractiveness department. No homo but have you seen Marth's Wii U victory animation? That is one bishounen face. Lucina's just stern and flat.

I love how people are going absolutely batty just because Nintendo is going to make mobile games.

I'm just here shaking my head with an amused smile on my face.
Do you still have the "hatching a Jigglypuff" gif?

I'm excited to see what Nintendo does with these games BTW.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Regular Attack > Regular Attack > Strong Attack > Dodge > Repeat.

Endlessly juggle enemies and officers alike. Eat up boss meters too. Get the upgrade that allows you to do better damage against shielded enemies and you can kill an officer like Zant by just pounding his block fairly quickly actually.
When you say "dodge", do you mean actually dodging, or that she has that dodging animation where she teleports under the ground? And I'm trying it out now.

Is there any reason to use her other combos? Lol. This literally seems to be definition of all-purpose for her.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
When you say "dodge", do you mean actually dodging, or that she has that dodging animation where she teleports under the ground? And I'm trying it out now.

Is there any reason to use her other combos? Lol. This literally seems to be definition of all-purpose for her.
By dodge I just mean the button that is dodge for every character. The purpose is just to cancel her C3 as soon as it hit so you can start another regular attack.

It kind of is her go-to. C5 is good too, mostly for crowds and movement, and it fills her meter. C3 spam is easy mode though if things are just annoying like multiple officers and a large crowd in front of you. I like to mix things up so that my battles look more interesting though if the battle isn't too dire.

The same trick can be pulled with Agitha's beetle, though not as easy or safe. Have you gotten Agitha's level 3 weapon? Yeah, that one's pretty tough but if you can separate some of the Dinofolos into three at a time you can keep a group in the air for a long time. What's crazy about the beetle is how far it pops enemies up. You can think they're dead and they'll just drop from the sky later than you'd think. Think if you act optimally you can actually have three beetles on the field at once. Thing is you usually have to make sure you're facing the right way first to do the most damage, aka, making a "circle", and the input of turning usually keeps you from getting another beetle out fast enough to have three on the field. It's pretty awesome though. Oh, and her butterfly ride is pretty great and in dense crowds really can boost your meter so that you could potentially do a special attack every minute and a half.

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
By dodge I just mean the button that is dodge for every character. The purpose is just to cancel her C3 as soon as it hit so you can start another regular attack.

It kind of is her go-to. C5 is good too, mostly for crowds and movement, and it fills her meter. C3 spam is easy mode though if things are just annoying like multiple officers and a large crowd in front of you. I like to mix things up so that my battles look more interesting though if the battle isn't too dire.

The same trick can be pulled with Agitha's beetle, though not as easy or safe. Have you gotten Agitha's level 3 weapon? Yeah, that one's pretty tough but if you can separate some of the Dinofolos into three at a time you can keep a group in the air for a long time. What's crazy about the beetle is how far it pops enemies up. You can think they're dead and they'll just drop from the sky later than you'd think. Think if you act optimally you can actually have three beetles on the field at once. Thing is you usually have to make sure you're facing the right way first to do the most damage, aka, making a "circle", and the input of turning usually keeps you from getting another beetle out fast enough to have three on the field. It's pretty awesome though. Oh, and her butterfly ride is pretty great and in dense crowds really can boost your meter so that you could potentially do a special attack every minute and a half.
Ah you mean dodge canceling. I realized a bit too late what you meant, once I started trying to dodge cancel after her C3 (though I kind of have fun finishing the move more often than not for some reason).

And yeah, I have everyone's weapons and lv3s. Right now I'm just clearing stuff I missed, or going for A rank. About to tackle the Twilight Princess map next. I do remember Agitha's lv 3 being a royal pain, of course. Ah, those hair-pulling memories :p the beetle is great... I just wish there was a bit more i could do with her. My only complaint with the butterfly ride is for those "kill 1,000 enemies in 10 minutes" quests, where you end up wasting more time flying around than actually clearing out crowds, even if you're trying to position yourself before slamming on the ground.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Ah you mean dodge canceling. I realized a bit too late what you meant, once I started trying to dodge cancel after her C3 (though I kind of have fun finishing the move more often than not for some reason).

And yeah, I have everyone's weapons and lv3s. Right now I'm just clearing stuff I missed, or going for A rank. About to tackle the Twilight Princess map next. I do remember Agitha's lv 3 being a royal pain, of course. Ah, those hair-pulling memories :p the beetle is great... I just wish there was a bit more i could do with her. My only complaint with the butterfly ride is for those "kill 1,000 enemies in 10 minutes" quests, where you end up wasting more time flying around than actually clearing out crowds, even if you're trying to position yourself before slamming on the ground.
Zant's was pretty tough too.

I like the "rack up your ko count" missions. Crowd density is ridiculous and green bottles drop everywhere. If you let the green bottles pile up by not picking any up, you can get a ridiculous spirit combo later. I've had a spirit combo over 900, but I've never reached 1000. That's pretty much the best way to make money and gain levels. A single one of those missions can nearly level a 100 leveled character to 101 in one go... about 2/3rds to 3/4s at least.

I was remembering wrong about the Beetle I think too. Don't think you can actually ever have three beetles out. There's something else in the game that's like that though.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
>Decides to briefly check on the Robin Social
>Sees that the topic is :4robinm:x:4shulk:
>Has some intense uke seme action
>MFW

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
M-Me? Tsundere!?!? A-As if! You a-are all just stupid! It's not like I want to be mad at you or a-anything! Stupid! Idiot! Hateyouallstupidgorls--
What anime is this from? The girl looks familiar but that could be because a lot of animu girls look alike.

@ Ffamran Ffamran I like your comparison of Falco's frame data, I may do something similar for Game & Watch.

Top Bottom