• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
I feel like the only good bit of writing character wise is with Serena. Especially on how she wants to change and be mature.

Since she lost a contest due to being too flashy with a ribbon she made for her Fennekin, which caused it to trip over, making her lose the contest. And she blames herself for it.

And the way to improve was to cut her hair. Sure, a person cutting their hair to move on isn't original. Japanese culture can show it as a way of punishment and apologizing by having all of your hair cut off. Shows like One Punch Man show Saitama moving onward (Though it was more comical on how he got that far to his goal). Heck, even Final Fantasy 9 which is one of my favourite FF games out there, has Princess Garnet/Dagger cut her hair with Zidane's knife after finally getting over the loss of her Mother and from losing her voice too.

TL;DR, Serena probably the only character that got somewhat decent character development in the Pokemon series. :V (Also, they love that Amourshipping between Ash and Serena. Jokes on the fans, since it'll NEVER HAPPEN. :V)

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Good writing would really enhance the anime for older audiences though, so I think that's a fair criticism.

Look at the gen 5 games. The writing in those was surprisingly not horrible, and that actually made the game a lot more exciting near the end. X/Y, on the other hand, tried way to hard to copy what made B/W's story exciting, and it just ended up being a big disappointment.

I think the anime could probably do something decent as well if they cared enough. But they're pokemon, and they're going to be hauling in money anyway, so they don't really have a reason to care.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Good writing would really enhance the anime for older audiences though, so I think that's a fair criticism.

Look at the gen 5 games. The writing in those was surprisingly not horrible, and that actually made the game a lot more exciting near the end. X/Y, on the other hand, tried way to hard to copy what made B/W's story exciting, and it just ended up being a big disappointment.

I think the anime could probably do something decent as well if they cared enough. But they're pokemon, and they're going to be hauling in money anyway, so they don't really have a reason to care.
Wanna know what's funny? From checking on MyAnimeList, and this not including Movies or ONA or OVAs like Pokemon: The Origin, or the 3rd Pokemon Movie. Best Wishes (Black & White) got the lowest score out of the other seasons. While XY&Z scored the highest out of the Pokemon anime. Again, NOT including other Pokemon media like The Origin or any of the movies.

I guess the reason why people see Gen 5 as one of the worst in the Pokemon anime is because of the horrible earthquake that hit Japan during its airing. They had to cancel an episode which was going to be much darker, and had to quickly write up a different plot for a new episode

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
They care somewhat; like I said before, they changed animations studio and it got a huge bump in quality. That's got to cost them a pretty penny.

The writing is actually better now (for what little that counts for) than it's been for years, if for no other reason they're doing season-long story arcs again with the second half of Gen 5, when N shows up and Team Rocket gets legimately dangerous. Of course, then the 2011 tsunami happened right before the climax of the N arc was supposed to happen, so that ended up getting largely scrapped to.

The reason they made it policy to do episodic stories only was made waaay back in Johto with the infamous GS Ball. It was all leading up to this big never-disclosed plot involving Celebi popping out of it. Only then dozens of episodes in, they were told they couldn't use Celebi because the movie team had priority and had to scrap everything. That's when the director swore off story arcs for what ended up being about a decade, and the GS Ball was left with Professor Ivy, never to be seen again.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
To be fair Digimon had a pretty good anime and the series started as Tamagotchis which is even less material to run with than Pokémon had and it had good writing in it. I don't think Pokémon really has an excuse.

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
To be fair Digimon had a pretty good anime and the series started as Tamagotchis which is even less material to run with than Pokémon had and it had good writing in it. I don't think Pokémon really has an excuse.
Digimon is a bit different. There was an actual story arc because there was a legitimate ending to the show to story board towards. This is different compared to Pokemon, which basically they don't want to ever end.

Secondly, Digimon is something of a multi-media series. Unlike Pokemon, the anime and a lot of the video games are canon with one another and for the most part run co-currently, and major characters in the games end up also having major roles or major impacts in the anime (such as Ken in season 2 and Ryo in Tamers).

Rizen

Smash Legend
What are you talking about? Of course Xenoblade X is a 1st party title. Did you think Shulk was a 3rd party character?

Xenoblade CX was made by Monolith.

I would be legitimately impressed if people were actually playing Splatoon as a party game. Kinda need couch co-op for that.

Who says everyone has to be in the same house? It's a 3rd person shooter where kids splatter ink on the ground.

You're essentially stating that the value of a video game should be proportional to it's polygon count and/or required processing power, which is ridiculous from both the consumer end of the spectrum and the business end of it.

So why pay for a next gen console if it isn't better than the previous? I'm saying the price of games should be based on these factors. This is why Mighty number 9 is a rip-off. Games that cost more to develop and have higher price tags should reflect that investment. To a standard scale of course.

And I gave examples of other games taking their place.

That specific IPs change with time or with a couple of games just means those IPs have changed direction for at least some time.

But you're taking shifting of some very specific IPs and using it as evidence for shifting focus of the entire company. And when you do that, which means the specific IPs you pointed out don't matter, the system's catalogue does. And you can't just handwave 90% of the library away as the "few exceptions" when they're the majority.

Where are you getting numbers like 90%? The main franchises are going more casual and not showing the next gen power that we were promised. What wii u games have dynamic lighting, textures are reflections like the tech demo showed?

3DS is doing splendidly with those good ideas, I'd say.

And the wii u was a fantastic failure.
You want proof that nintendo's shifting focus to younger/casual audiences and party games rather than hardcore gaming?
Animal crossing, board game. Paper mario franchise dropped rpg elements for stickers/cards in battle. Metroid has a chibi multi player. Fire emblem's big gimmick was being a touch dating sim. LoZ has a level by level, dress-up 3 player co-op (triforce heroes). 3D marios have been designed to have multiple players on screen. Nintendo wants to incorporate skylander like amiibos into all their games. No voice chat in games like splatoon. Miiverse with bobbleheads as player avatars that appear everywhere. Nintendo uses puppets for their presentations and starfox commercials.

I'm just saying this is the trend. The Wii U had some great games but it's been a disappointing gen for older/hardcore gamers.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I finally got everyone up to level 31, so I'm ready to take on Clay now

It's been a while since my last update, so here we go.

New gorls:
Greening the Yamask (dead bc apparently Emolga learns Pursuit)
BJN39 the Minccino
Burgundy the Cottonee
Ffamran the Sandile
Virtue the Deerling
Cress the Darumaka (using on my team)
Evan the Gothita (using on my team)
Koiba the Gurdurr (using on my team)
Lavani the Archen (using on my team)

The only thing of note that happened was that Eddie the Herdier died to an unfortunate crit

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Gothita=goth+Lolita

Lolita is actually pretty cool tbh

Gothitelle is a cool gorl

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
You want proof that nintendo's shifting focus to younger/casual audiences and party games rather than hardcore gaming?
Animal crossing, board game. Paper mario franchise dropped rpg elements for stickers/cards in battle. Metroid has a chibi multi player. Fire emblem's big gimmick was being a touch dating sim. LoZ has a level by level, dress-up 3 player co-op (triforce heroes). 3D marios have been designed to have multiple players on screen. Nintendo wants to incorporate skylander like amiibos into all their games. No voice chat in games like splatoon. Miiverse with bobbleheads as player avatars that appear everywhere. Nintendo uses puppets for their presentations and starfox commercials.

I'm just saying this is the trend. The Wii U had some great games but it's been a disappointing gen for older/hardcore gamers.
Xenoblade Chronicles X. They've released several new RPGs this gen, stop fixating on how much you hate Sticker Star. They financed Bayonetta 2, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and (unfortunately) Devil's Third. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest is the best FE game in a decade. LoZ also has a Dynasty Warriors spin-off and four much appreciated remasters. Mario games have been targeted at the couch co-op experience since the NES. Voice Chat in Splatoon would suck ass. Xbox Live has the exact same thing, the difference is Nintendo made their bobblehead avatars into a profitable IP. They also get Robot Chicken to do their presentations too; they're a quirky company like that.

And all I'm saying your proof amounts to Nintendo being what Nintendo always has been. There's no changing focus here. Just a lack of 3rd party titles on the console. You should see what the PS4 or Xbox One would look like if they had to keep their console propped up solely by their 1st parties.

The handheld, on the other hand, has had no such problems. Get a 3DS, I guess?

Well, no. That I'm fine with. My only issue with that is you saying that it's currently shifting, as if it wasn't already there to begin with for the most part. If anything, they gave more to the hardcore gaming crowd than usual this gen on the console.

What I really want is more elaboration on your apparent belief that if a brand new game could have feasibly ran on a PS3, then it has no business being sold at retail price.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Wanna know what's funny? From checking on MyAnimeList, and this not including Movies or ONA or OVAs like Pokemon: The Origin, or the 3rd Pokemon Movie. Best Wishes (Black & White) got the lowest score out of the other seasons. While XY&Z scored the highest out of the Pokemon anime. Again, NOT including other Pokemon media like The Origin or any of the movies.
I wasn't talking about Best Wishes. I was saying the video games had a surprisingly decent story, and I was comparing that to the anime. I guess I should of made that clearer.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Evan is playing through SoulSilver and is at the Kanto portion

I'm doing Black

Kyo is doing an Emerald randomizer

Mewtwo Chainz is doing Emerald

Buddhahobo is doing Platinum

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Sheik is just ****ty Sonic OC edgelord Kirby Reserved.

Get a lyyfe with 2 y's

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
yeah :4sheik: agrees
Likewise, if you're thinking up a disguise to hide you from the evil magical conqueror whose just taken over your kingdom you maaaaay want to not dress up as a member of an extinct race of highly trained ninja mostly known for their undying loyalty to the royal family, of which you are one. That's not really going to keep the heat off you, you know?

You could just wear a simple dark cloak and call yourself...Susan or something, I don't know.

All I said about Sheik was that thinking that persona up was in character given how young Zelda was, and that in hindsight, she really didn't think that one all the way through.

Last edited:

McKnightlíght

NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Likewise, if you're thinking up a disguise to hide you from the evil magical conqueror whose just taken over your kingdom you maaaaay want to not dress up as a member of an extinct race of highly trained ninja mostly known for their undying loyalty to the royal family, of which you are one. That's not really going to keep the heat off you, you know?

You could just wear a simple dark cloak and call yourself...Susan or something, I don't know.

All I said about Sheik was that thinking that persona up was in character given how young Zelda was, and that in hindsight, she really didn't think that one all the way through.
idk seemed to work out in the end.

It's almost as if it was a good idea in that specific universe.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
PSX_20160819_172604.jpg

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
idk seemed to work out in the end.

It's almost as if it was a good idea in that specific universe.
Hey, I never said it didn't work.

Just that I find the impracticality of it hilarious. Thinking on why Zelda decided to go with the whole Sheik persona over anything else is fun for me because it adds so much more characterization for the type of person Zelda is and fleshes her out.

Wait so I'm supposed to...cook her a free dinner?

I mean, okay, I guess. I can do that.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Everyone's doing Nuzlockes...
I'm almost done 100%-ing Super Mystery Dungeon and I'm moving on to Gates after that
I'll name some Pokemon after you gorls :3

spellthief

Smash Rookie
NNID
spellxthief
Switch FC
SW 6404 0948 1402
I've never done a nuzlocke run but I should give it a try considering I haven't actually finished a pokemon game in years.

ElderLolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Matze97
I'm thinking about doing a stream for Mother 3 sometime soon, like next week. Would you gorls be interested in watching?

Last edited:

Virtue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TripleTriad
3DS FC
3609-1766-6115
I've never done a nuzlocke run but I should give it a try considering I haven't actually finished a pokemon game in years.
Welcome to sassboards. You're welcome here as long as you're a Zelda pessimisT. And have a frequent usage of :secretkpop:.
(Actually people are always welcome)

McKnightlíght

NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Hey, I never said it didn't work.

Just that I find the impracticality of it hilarious. Thinking on why Zelda decided to go with the whole Sheik persona over anything else is fun for me because it adds so much more characterization for the type of person Zelda is and fleshes her out.

Wait so I'm supposed to...cook her a free dinner?

I mean, okay, I guess. I can do that.
To me it seemed like a really long and drawn out process for Link to have to beat several temples just to defeat Ganondorf to be honest. Also I wonder who layed out such intricate dungeons that only a young boy and then 7 years later a slighter older boy could beat. The most ridiculous part is that he wears an easily recognizable green tunic like lol what is the point? Ganondorf could easily spot him in a crowd.

Oh and speaking of Ganondorf I find it absurd that he would build a castle and have full rule over Hyrule and then just post up and not even look for Zelda!! That's crazy!! If he's not going to be very ambitious about it then she could pretty much just wear any old cloth she had lying around. In her free time I guess she could become a badass ninja too, it's not like Ganon will be looking for her. Overall it's a silly game and find it hard to believe that it was based on a true story. 10/10 it's a mastapeece.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Cress the Darumaka (using on my team)
:D

I think I may do a play through of Uranium and name the gorls after everything I catch (it'll be my first time playing it so no Nuzlocke).

Last edited:

McKnightlíght

NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
7.8/10

Too much water. ~ IGN
I find it absurd that IGN would go through the entire process of naming themselves Imagine Games Network only to then constantly be shortening it to IGN everywhere they go. Do they really think that the average gamer isn't intelligent enough to remember their entire name? Is that what IGN thinks of the gaming society as a whole, that we can only remember 3 letters when we want reviews? And what is the deal with rating games out of 10? It would be more efficient to rate them out of 60 like minutes on a clock, that way you could break it down more simply. The problem with a scale to 10 is that if you want to rate something at 3/4 then you have to add in decimals and that alienates those who prefer fractions. I'm just really not into their decisions as a company and I can't support them any further.

46 and 4/5 out of 60 Too many decimals.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
And a wild Zebstrika just killed ElderLolz with Pursuit...

**** this game

Top Bottom