• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
i'll be praying for you

and waiting for your post ;)
Well after very careful deliberation I've decided the distribution will be private (i.e. not in the public eye) if I can even bring myself to write it, which is gonna be hard considering I have schoolwork until this weekend because life sucks. I also woke up after a nap to a ton of alerts and something from the SWF. Whatever THAT is (whistle whistle)

Nintendo's position on being as politically correct as possible forces them to take some pretty brainless decisions.
As unfortunate (or fortunate for some, I'm not incredibly passionate about this but I stand in the middle) as this all is, it's what localization ultimately is. The game's changes are a product of where it's localized to. If the game was directly brought over it'd be just a straight translation, at this point, and with WiiU homebrew looking like a "never" situation, this may be like, all the US gets. That being said I'm bad at ARPGs and I'll probably never be good at them.

I think the only way this kind of thing is gonna change is when American society does, unfortunately. Or the puritan ideals or whatever they're called. I wouldn't know, I live in Canada, we don't get localization we just get the USA releases =P.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Ugh, internet. We're really *****ing about a game intended for most audiences not including underaged sexually suggestive material?
Hey, whatever makes you feel righteous and accomplished. I'm done. Good day.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Edmonton wins the Grey Cup!

As unfortunate (or fortunate for some, I'm not incredibly passionate about this but I stand in the middle) as this all is, it's what localization ultimately is.
I'm not convinced independent localization teams would have tampered with the game to this extent had it not been published for a Nintendo platform. Nintendo is one of the worst when it comes to this, though they (along with the rest of the industry) have made marked improvements over the past decades to preserve authenticity.

I completely agree, we should be glad we're getting the game to begin with. Nothing wrong with pointing out bad practices, of course. Nintendo apparently noticed and acknowledged the concerns, only about the damn boob slider though, sadly.

Ugh, internet. We're really *****ing about a game intended for most audiences not including underaged sexually suggestive material?
Hey, whatever makes you feel righteous and accomplished. I'm done. Good day.
That's fine.

Feel free to miss my point entirely and try for some typical distortion.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Edmonton wins the Grey Cup!

I'm not convinced independent localization teams would have tampered with the game to this extent had it not been published for a Nintendo platform. Nintendo is one of the worst when it comes to this, though they (along with the rest of the industry) have made marked improvements over the past decades to preserve authenticity.

I completely agree, we should be glad we're getting the game to begin with. Nothing wrong with pointing out bad practices, of course. Nintendo apparently noticed and acknowledged the concerns, only about the damn boob slider though, sadly.
Oh I wasn't saying "BE GRATEFUL YOU BLABHALH" or anything! It's just that this localization reeks of, well, altered for the US, ha. I'm glad it's getting localized too though, you won't hear me say that I'm not, for sure. It just seems like a product of the culture it's being localized to, which I guess is the point. US society (and Canadian too, why not) could stand to be more open about a lot of things regarding speech and our bodies.

Now, in regards to removing religious references, I can speak in favor of it but only if they do it like they did in Earthbound. http://legendsoflocalization.com/earthbound/happy-happy-village/ You can see how they preserved the original meaning while simply removing the more direct correlations to American religion and I think it ultimately broadened the interpretation and scope of the script. I think we should wait and see if X does this as well~ (I also think changing the cultists to not look like the KKK was probably for the better because that's kinda horrible but I doubt Xenoblade has any of that going on =P)

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
That's fine.

Feel free to miss my point entirely and try for some typical distortion.
remember gorl you're a zelda main not an MK main you gotta sass that Link Scrub instead of being passive aggressive like an MK main

(IB4 Rizen Rizen actually thinks I actually meant to call him a Link Scrub :secretkpop:)

Rizen

Smash Legend
I was pretty clear. Don't bother if you're not going to be anything but insulting.
You're just complaining when you don't get your way. Don't give us that "artistic integrity" and "censorship" BS. Not designing everything to fit the desires of a horny 14 year old boy is not an attack on freedom of expression. You want a cartoon making fun of pedophiles look up South Park or Family Guy- they're made for mature audiences.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Less than a week left. Hyped into the next century for this game.

That Earthbound example was interesting! Going to check out that page.

You're just complaining when you don't get your way. Don't give us that "artistic integrity" and "censorship" BS. Not designing everything to fit the desires of a horny 14 year old boy is not an attack on freedom of expression. You want a cartoon making fun of pedophiles look up South Park or Family Guy- they're made for mature audiences.
I can practically smell the nasty odor of self-righteousness in every word.

Try harder son.

Or you know, put up a better argument. I never mentioned a word about freedom of expression.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Or DBZ when Roshi was gettin it on

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Guys, please stop. Only I am the livid flower!
SCREW YOU ALL!!!!

WENDY'S FRIES ARE GARBAGE!!!!!!

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
That Earthbound example was interesting! Going to check out that page.
Mother 2's localization into Earthbound REALLY IS top notch, on the level of Final Fantasy 6's US release (which some complain about but I think they did a GREAT job with it too) and it shows how you can alter text to be more tasteful to your target audience while retaining the original intent so well.

It's a very fascinating read and it's why I'm pro-localization because when it's done right it does stuff like this while making it more reasonable, sensible, and wholesome for everyone!

As for some of the stranger changes, I can only guess they censored "DRUG" because they couldn't fit in "Drug Store" so they went with "STORE" or "SHOP", was it? Just to drive the point a bit more home and look less like, well, you know....

If X's writers and localization team are anywhere near this good, outside of the random name changes and the acronym stuff you'll be seeing stuff that's still religious in undertone but not a direct reference to God himself (which is where this whole religion problem lies, as it's often put in games like Pokemon and it makes....very little sense).

That being said I'm glad you're excited for this localization anyways, I hope the experience is really good! I'll pray 4 u.

Last edited:

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Guys, please stop. Only I am the livid flower!
SCREW YOU ALL!!!!

WENDY'S FRIES ARE GARBAGE!!!!!!
Shhhh.....

You should take a deep breath and be calm like me :D

Would this make you feel better~?

Rizen

Smash Legend
I can practically smell the nasty odor of self-righteousness in every word.

Try harder son.

Or you know, put up a better argument. Because I never mentioned a word about freedom of expression.
^This has no argument. You're literally giving me a headache. Are you just completely unaware of the implications of putting that swimsuit on a girl younger than the age of consent in any state? People don't wear that kind of thing except for 1 reason: to be sexy. It's 1 step away from child prostitution, in a rendered sense.
Putting that in a game designed to be a sci-fi exploration thing for most ages is stupid and sick. It's like making the target audience sexual predators. Minors are minors for a reason. Horrible things happen to girls in the real world. It was very smart of Nintendo to censor that and not just from a financial perspective. It's a very dangerous thing for young girls.

What are you fighting? Censorship? It's their game! Go write a web comic about underaged girls if you care that much.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
^This has no argument. You're literally giving me a headache. Are you just completely unaware of the implications of putting that swimsuit on a girl younger than the age of consent in any state? People don't wear that kind of thing except for 1 reason: to be sexy. It's 1 step away from child prostitution, in a rendered sense.
Putting that in a game designed to be a sci-fi exploration thing for most ages is stupid and sick. It's like making the target audience sexual predators. Minors are minors for a reason. Horrible things happen to girls in the real world. It was very smart of Nintendo to censor that and not just from a financial perspective. It's a very dangerous thing for young girls.
You're positing an extreme generalization about your own perception on social/cultural standards as fact. You realize the number of flaws with that argument, yeah?

Violence is "stupid and sick," yet this game features an awful amount of it. America leads the world in violent crime and video game sales. Putting out violence in any form in video games is particularly dangerous, since 'it's like making the target audience into a bunch of killers.' See how moronic that sounds?

Beyond having to apply that analogy to every piece of arbitrarily objectionable content in the game, you also have to supply some proof that putting out a scantily-clad pixelated minor somehow makes the world more dangerous to young girls.

Good luck, because it's a stupid one. The obstinate, ultraconservative anti-video game crowd failed abysmally to establish that increased video game consumption contributes to violent crime, how do you suppose to prove the idea that my two younger sisters are in more danger because of Lin's swimsuit?

I'm playing a real devil's advocate here. I don't care about Lin's swimsuit being changed, but I am against it purely on principle.

What are you fighting? Censorship? It's their game! Go write a web comic about underaged girls if you care that much.
I was compelled to take you more seriously until you lost your head and put this out.

I'd have ignored your silly rambling entirely had you not obviously tried to insult me.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
You're positing an extreme generalization about your own perception on social/cultural standards as fact. You realize the number of flaws with that argument, yeah?

Violence is "stupid and sick," yet this game features an awful amount of it. America leads the world in violent crime and video game sales. Putting out violence in any form in video games is particularly dangerous, since 'it's like making the target audience into a bunch of killers.' See how moronic that sounds?

Beyond having to apply that analogy to every piece of arbitrarily objectionable content in the game, you also have to supply some proof that putting out a scantily-clad pixelated minor somehow makes the world more dangerous to young girls.

Good luck, because it's a stupid one.

I'm playing a real devil's advocate here. I don't care about Lin's swimsuit being changed, but I am against it purely on principle.

I was compelled to take you more seriously until you lost your head and put this out.

I'd have ignored your silly rambling entirely had you not obviously tried to insult me.
I never said violence is sick. You're rationalizing your objectification of 13 year olds! Regardless of your twisted mind, minors are not classified as adults. It doesn't mater if you get it or not. Sexualizing minors is not healthy behavior.
This isn't about censorship, you're just making noise when things don't go exactly the way you want. I'm absolutely disgusted by you.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I never said violence is sick. You're rationalizing your objectification of 13 year olds! Regardless of your twisted mind, minors are not classified as adults. It doesn't mater if you get it or not. Sexualizing minors is not healthy behavior.
This isn't about censorship, you're just making noise when things don't go exactly the way you want. I'm absolutely disgusted by you.
The objectionability of a pixalated 13-year-old wearing a swimsuit has just as much credibility as objectionability to all violence in video games. The logic carries right over. What you say echoes exactly of what the anti-video game crowd screams, and they've been able to muster nothing substantial in support of their claims.

You're the one offering the swimsuit a sexual element, I'm not speaking at all to it. A fairly socially regressive perspective to have, thinking breasts or exposed parts of a female body are nothing but purely sexual.

This has always been about censorship, like I made about other points about what localization has done. You're entitled to your own fixation on a single point, nice to know where your head is.

You both disgust and amuse me with your incompetence at carrying a conversation.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl

kirbys like 2 years old

he sucks **** up and he's always naked

****ING DISGUSTING, HAL IS GROSS SEXUAL PREDATORS

i can't believe i ever liked this game, smh.............................

Rizen

Smash Legend

kirbys like 2 years old

he sucks **** up and he's always naked

****ING DISGUSTING, HAL IS GROSS SEXUAL PREDATORS

i can't believe i ever liked this game, smh.............................
Nah, Kirby reproduces asexually you silly. Besides, he's not naked, he's wearing shoes :p

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
So to approach a more universally agreed upon topic....
Fun fact: This song plays in a stage with bombs, and the bomb sound effect is coded so that it interferes with the sound channels, which randomly pitches up or down the notes, creating an ear piercing cacophony far worse than provided even in this video.

How lovely. I played this game with headphones on and questioned my state of being soon after. I feel like I can understand "To be or not to be" a lot more now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom