• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Smash server maitnence begins at 10:30 PM PST tonight, so expect the update around that time.

Since that's only a few hours and Nintendo hasn't given any other info, a new character and stage are highly unlikely.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Main things I'd want to see for Sheik are less distance covered by Vanish, no reappear hitbox/windbox on Vanish, no "autocancel" on Vanish, and she doesn't get to use Bouncing Fish again after being hit in the air.

Taking away the ability to manually kick with Bouncing Fish would nerf its versatility while also making it more punishable (forces her to suffer the landing lag instead of canceling the move by kicking).

It's kind of her shtick to have dominating frame data so I don't really see her normals being touched much, so toning down her absurd recovery and adding risk to her kill moves makes more sense to me.
Yes.

Why does Vanish autocancel/have such little lag and hit so hard? This move makes no sense when put next to Sheik's kit. She already has BF as an aerial finisher, but she has an intangible move that kills like a smash attack and is really hard to punish?

It's just a wannabe elevator. :secretkpop:

Edit: it also makes it legit risky to edge guard. Why. You're not Ness.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
If they nerfed Mario I would quit. Character's already fine :V.

I'm not gonna ask for anything at this point cause we're in a pretty solid spot I'd say. Sheik stuff is what I EXPECT to happen though.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Smash server maitnence begins at 10:30 PM PST tonight, so expect the update around that time.

Since that's only a few hours and Nintendo hasn't given any other info, a new character and stage are highly unlikely.
Usually the update comes out after the maintenance.

Yes.

Why does Vanish autocancel/have such little lag and hit so hard? This move makes no sense when put next to Sheik's kit. She already has BF as an aerial finisher, but she has an intangible move that kills like a smash attack and is really hard to punish?

It's just a wannabe elevator. :secretkpop:

Edit: it also makes it legit risky to edge guard. Why. You're not Ness.
How many specials "autocancel" anyway? Pit's arrows do, so that's two...

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
A Dthrow that leads into Jab? For how long? Pit's Dthrow never goes into jab and it's one of the better Dthrows... You'd be stealing Pit's thunder pretty bad. Your idea for a Fthrow is pretty bonkers too.
You know, you have a habit of mentioning Pit a lot.

How many specials "autocancel" anyway? Pit's arrows do, so that's two...
See what I mean?

First off, I'm angry and very irritated because my allergies - I think it's seasonal or whatever - has been getting worse everyday since the start of this month leading to my nose running like a waterfall and I have half a mind to drive a screwdriver through someone's head, so please, don't take this seriously. The question is: so what? So what if someone else can D-throw to jab or auto-cancel a Special? You don't see people getting riled up that Falco and Diddy have a Melee Fox's U-throw to Uair setup instead of Smash 4 Fox and you don't see people getting riled up that Link has his jump attack, but Toon Link doesn't.

Also, in my irritable state, I would like to extend a screw you to all characters if there is a balance patch. Yes, screwdriver involved.

Last edited:

Soul.

Do people still want Luigi nerfs? I mean like, his playstyle is so pre-patch Diddy and--
-insert tl;dr-

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You have a habit of mentioning Pit a lot, you know that?

See what I mean?

First off, I'm angry and very irritated because my allergies - I think it's seasonal or whatever - has been getting worse everyday since the start of this month leading to my nose running like a waterfall and I have half a mind to drive a screwdriver through someone's head, so please, don't take this seriously. The question is: so what? So what if someone else can D-throw to jab or auto-cancel a Special? You don't see people getting riled up that Falco and Diddy have a Melee Fox's U-throw to Uair setup instead of Smash 4 Fox and you don't see people getting riled up that Link has his jump attack, but Toon Link doesn't.
...Uh, don't you go into a rant about Falco on a daily basis? It's just kinda weird you're the one telling me this. :p

Pit's my benchmark, the character I understand the most. Being a well-rounded character, probably even more then Mario, it translates pretty easily. Especially when people bring up similar characters or relevant mechanics.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
How many specials "autocancel" anyway?
Kong Cyclone, Vanish, Mach Tornado, and Dimensional Cape are the main ones that come to mind.

It's not really autocanceling so much as "the move's endlag carries over when landing but you don't suffer landing lag if you don't enter helpless", so landing just before endlag ends essentially has a similar effect to autocanceling.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Kong Cyclone, Vanish, Mach Tornado, and Dimensional Cape are the main ones that come to mind.

It's not really autocanceling so much as "the move's endlag carries over when landing but you don't suffer landing lag if you don't enter helpless", so landing just before endlag ends essentially has a similar effect to autocanceling.
Fox illusion is weird too.

That's the only other one that comes to mind where it has varying "landing lags."

I thought Sheik took her helpless landing lag when landing before the autocancel window. The more you know, I guess.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Locke, do you do wifi stuff? I want to fight the lemons.
Yeah, I've been getting back into playing online more... But I also work, am on the west coast, and have life johns. I'll have more time to play starting mid-october though.

I'd love to show you the way of AAA utilt sometime though. I've promised @Rizen the same thing and I've yet to come through on that promise.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Yeah, I've been getting back into playing online more... But I also work, am on the west coast, and have life johns. I'll have more time to play starting mid-october though.

I'd love to show you the way of AAA utilt sometime though. I've promised @Rizen the same thing and I've yet to come through on that promise.
Alright. I'll hold you to it.

If anyone else wants to play me I'm willing to play. I can't do FG because sometimes my game just stops working in the middle of a match.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
...Uh, don't you go into a rant about Falco on a daily basis? It's just kinda weird you're the one telling me this. :p

Pit's my benchmark, the character I understand the most. Being a well-rounded character, probably even more then Mario, it translates pretty easily. Especially when people bring up similar characters or relevant mechanics.
I know; why do you think I stopped? Nowadays, I just correct people on stupid misconceptions like Falco having windboxes on moves or using Fair to approach since somehow, it's a good idea to approach with a move with 25 frames of landing lag.

It's fine to use Pit as a template, but what's not fine is saying stuff can steal his thunder which ironically he doesn't have because Dark Pit has an electric element move, Electroshock Arm, not Pit. There's a point where you run out of moves and concepts e.g. Lucas's Fair can be called a weaker, less punishable Zelda Fair or how many characters jab, the actual move, because it's such a simple move used in almost all martial arts. You can't undermine a character unless you specifically make the character the same, but worse compared to another. Case in point: Lucina. Lucina's credibility as a fighter in Smash is probably the lowest; Dark Pit at least is interchangeable and Dr. Mario at least feels different and has different strengths and weaknesses compared to Mario. Even Pichu has more credibility as people can at least acknowledge it's a joke character while Lucina's a joke who shouldn't be one. Giving a character a move similar to another doesn't really do much if it functions differently with the rest of their kit. Diddy technically has Mario's Uair and Falco technically has Zelda's Nair and ZSS's Uair, but they interact and work with them differently compared to Mario, Zelda, and ZSS. Rosalina technically has Falco's Uair, but because of its hitbox, different angle, and lingering frames along with how she works and moves, it's almost an entirely different move despite similar frame (which also suggests it shouldn't be killing like that, but it does 'cause Rosalina).

Also, this is disgusting: https://youtu.be/4joOO1LmhgA. Watch what the Luigi player does. Summary: spam grab and it works. See, when I think of grapple-based characters, I think of King from Tekken, Hakan and Abel from Street Fighter, and Raiden from The King of Fighters and you know what's okay about them? They actually have to work for their grabs. Hell, let's add ZSS, Meta Knight?, and even Ness and Diddy both pre- and post-patch. They work for their grabs and they convert dangerously, but Luigi? Low risk, can spam, has among the fastest grabs with low end lag, and massive rewards even compared to ZSS or The Freaking Ice Climbers and Brawl Triple D.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I've been thinking about putting daily fun facts about Sm4sh in my sig.

I feel like I'd never remember to update it though, it probably wouldn't last more than a week tops.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I know; why do you think I stopped? Nowadays, I just correct people on stupid misconceptions like Falco having windboxes on moves or using Fair to approach since somehow, it's a good idea to approach with a move with 25 frames of landing lag.

It's fine to use Pit as a template, but what's not fine is saying stuff can steal his thunder which ironically he doesn't have because Dark Pit has an electric element move, Electroshock Arm, not Pit. There's a point where you run out of moves and concepts e.g. Lucas's Fair can be called a weaker, less punishable Zelda Fair or how many characters jab, the actual move, because it's such a simple move used in almost all martial arts. You can't undermine a character unless you specifically make the character the same, but worse compared to another. Case in point: Lucina. Lucina's credibility as a fighter in Smash is probably the lowest; Dark Pit at least is interchangeable and Dr. Mario at least feels different and has different strengths and weaknesses compared to Mario. Even Pichu has more credibility as people can at least acknowledge it's a joke character while Lucina's a joke who shouldn't be one. Giving a character a move similar to another doesn't really do much if it functions differently with the rest of their kit. Diddy technically has Mario's Uair and Falco technically has Zelda's Nair and ZSS's Uair, but they interact and work with them differently compared to Mario, Zelda, and ZSS. Rosalina technically has Falco's Uair, but because of its hitbox, different angle, and lingering frames along with how she works and moves, it's almost an entirely different move despite similar frame (which also suggests it shouldn't be killing like that, but it does 'cause Rosalina).

Also, this is disgusting: https://youtu.be/4joOO1LmhgA. Watch what the Luigi player does. Summary: spam grab and it works. See, when I think of grapple-based characters, I think of King from Tekken, Hakan and Abel from Street Fighter, and Raiden from The King of Fighters and you know what's okay about them? They actually have to work for their grabs. Hell, let's add ZSS, Meta Knight?, and even Ness and Diddy both pre- and post-patch. They work for their grabs and they convert dangerously, but Luigi? Low risk, can spam, has among the fastest grabs with low end lag, and massive rewards even compared to ZSS or The Freaking Ice Climbers and Brawl Triple D.

I feel like I'd never remember to update it though, it probably wouldn't last more than a week tops.
Do it weekly.

That way you can exceed your expectation :^)

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437

Do it because I suck at this game :^)

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon

Well I knew Wario's F-Tilt was good but today I learned it's actually pretty ridiculous just how good it is.

So I definitely encourage you to keep doing it.

Soul.

"Fun fact of the day: Pokémon aren't good in Smash Bros."

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I just realized you can't see sigs on mobile anymore. You used to be able to see them in landscape mode.

Smashboards why

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646

Luma's sweetspot utilt has as much base knockback and more growth than Warlock Punch.

Zelda's dtilt kills earlier than a sweetspotted Din's Fire.

(yes, sticking your foot out launches people farther than making magic explode in their face)

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
can I just point out first place in this tournament

who played like 15 different characters

like what

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I don't like sweet, sugary stuff; they make me feel sick.

Unfun Falco fact of the day: Falco's index finger isn't animated at all when he uses his Blaster on the 3DS. I don't know about Fox, but I'm going to assume he just palms his Blaster like Falco. One subtle detail that's justified because 3DS reasons.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
and more growth than Warlock Punch.
That's because growth is multiplied with damage. Luma has high growth values on most of its attacks because its attacks do pathetic damage.

Luma utilt: 8 damage x 0.6 KBG = 4.8
Warlock Punch: 30 x 0.42 = 12.6

The knockback formula also uses the target's percentage after the hit, so there is that to consider too.

Growth by itself is a pretty worthless value tbh (that could be another fun fact!)

Wario is gross
yes
and is more cancerous than cancer and polio combined
n-
okay maybe

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
That's because growth is multiplied with damage. Luma has high growth values on most of its attacks because its attacks do pathetic damage.

Luma utilt: 8 damage x 0.6 KBG = 4.8
Warlock Punch: 30 x 0.42 = 12.6
the people don't need to know that :^)

(also 8 damage is not pathetic for a frame 3 utilt)

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
These whole fun facts thing reminds me of when IsmaR had that fun fact about Samus's jab.

Last edited:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I just realized you can't see sigs on mobile anymore. You used to be able to see them in landscape mode.

Smashboards why
I can still see them...
Maybe it's because Android>iPhone. :p

Top Bottom