• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Watching PB&J abuse focus cancels and it looks stupidly fun lol. The way you can just cancel your way through attacks for free is pretty insane. It's also a really good movement option. Will probably pick up the new characters and stuff next week so I can't say from experience but Ryu looks very good so far. Still looking forward to Roy the most since I liked playing Lucina a lot.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I think if you hit it you press forward twice to cancel it? this is my memory from yesterday's Direct
I know that part, I'm mainly asking if you can cancel the lag after hitting someone with it. In known you can cancel it before the attack.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
@ S.F.L.R_9 S.F.L.R_9 I think if you fully charge Usmash, the last few hits will poke through a full shield which is really good. Also Nair to Elevator gives me life, kinda like how Kourtney Kardashian gives me life

Also that 0toDeath with my ZSS on delfino also gives my life

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I know that part, I'm mainly asking if you can cancel the lag after hitting someone with it. In known you can cancel it before the attack.
I believe so. Can't say for sure though, don't have them yet (should by tomorrow though :D)

Tilk

Smash Ace
NNID
Mrs.Tilk
3DS FC
0104-1633-6707
I.... LOVE... RYU!!! <333:love:

So I decided to go ahead and buy Ryu and Lucas of all fighters.

Ryu is all I could have wanted in a street fighter/SSB character. Like holy moley I love it...

I'm such a street fighter fan and the directional inputs like hadoukens and shoryukens and all the heavy and light attacks are amazing.

Lucas is pretty good... Seems rather convo reliant and a lot of attacks feel like they have input delay....

Oh well. I'm satisfied. ^_^ <3

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
I don't get how Focus Attack works, can you cancel it right after it hits?
It's kind of like how it works in Street Fighter. Within any time of the attack you can dash out of it to cancel the charging animation. Both in Smash and SF, you have to do the :GCR::GCR: or :GCL::GCL: command to dash out of it, although in Smash you can also Focus Attack and thus cancel it with a dash in the air.

You can't cancel the attack if you release it without hitting anything, but you CAN cancel it with the aforementioned dash command if your attack does hit the opponent, again similar to Street Fighter, giving you more time for a followup afterwards. For example, after a LV 3 Focus Attack (the fully charged one), you should be able to cancel it, jump and do a Uair (1 hit) into Shoryuken (the :GCR::GCD::GCDR: :GCA:one because it's stronger lol), something that you wouldn't have enough time to do if you didn't cancel the attack.

Again similar to Street Fighter, the focus attack can "parry" or absorb one move during its charging animation. This absorption costs health (a different kind of health that can be regenerated if you don't get hit but that's getting into specifics) but you can immediately dash cancel after you parry the attack too to punish the opponent! It's kinda like powershielding a move and then go in for the grab to punish, but Ryu can do this in the air as well if he wants to. I think it's a decent strategy that Ryu players should pick up to mix up his defensive options honestly.

It's a good thing Ryu can't cancel his special moves into a Focus Attack like he can in Street Fighter (it costs meter in the game too so it probably be too hard to implement such a mechanic in Smash) because that would be a bit ridiculous in this game haha.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I.... LOVE... RYU!!! <333:love:

So I decided to go ahead and buy Ryu and Lucas of all fighters.

Ryu is all I could have wanted in a street fighter/SSB character. Like holy moley I love it...

I'm such a street fighter fan and the directional inputs like hadoukens and shoryukens and all the heavy and light attacks are amazing.

Lucas is pretty good... Seems rather convo reliant and a lot of attacks feel like they have input delay....

Oh well. I'm satisfied. ^_^ <3
Good to hear you're enjoying the World Warrior! Character is super fun to use and immensely satisfying.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
That was more of an uphill struggle against @ Rickster Rickster .

Only reason I SD'd after you SD'd was because I wanted to be a gentleman, plus I wanted it to be more fair since you accidentally suicided. :3

Still, GGs.

Anyone else up for some matches? I'm just going to be playing Roy for today and maybe tomorrow.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
That was more of an uphill struggle against @ Rickster Rickster .

Only reason I SD'd after you SD'd was because I wanted to be a gentleman, plus I wanted it to be more fair since you accidentally suicided. :3
Haha yeah those double SDs. I'm used to having an amazing recovery with Zelda, so when I use a character with a subpar recovery, I end up SDing a lot. I've learned my lesson, that's for sure, lol.

Good Games! :bluejump:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Haha yeah those double SDs. I'm used to having an amazing recovery with Zelda, so when I use a character with a subpar recovery, I end up SDing a lot. I've learned my lesson, that's for sure, lol.

Good Games! :bluejump:
No worries. Since I do recognize Roy's VA.

Should I make a Control Option named "Lelouch" or "DRKFLMASTR"?

And anyone else want to have a few matches? I'm getting the hang of Roy. I think.

Nairo

Banned via Administration
I thought everyone or most people knew that falling nair to upb works if you do it right why do I see talk about it on some places recently after the patch?! Its been a thing since the 3DS release!

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Of course Zelda wasn't buffed as much as we thought she was :secretkpop:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I thought everyone or most people knew that falling nair to upb works if you do it right why do I see talk about it on some places recently after the patch?! Its been a thing since the 3DS release!
It didn't always true combo, did it? I swear only dtilt and dsmash worked pre-patch.

Well even if it did exist before, it should work even better now, right?

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Well, I'm quite happy with the matches I've had.

Feel like characters with disjoints like :4bowser: :4shulk: :4feroy: for example can beat out :4ryu:.

And I need to improve my punish game from my matches against @ Rickster Rickster .

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
@ SBphiloz4 SBphiloz4 the music in the "Powerpuff Gorls" has been copyrighted and muted.
I have already stated that a few pages ago, and it's because of my song lol.

And stated before again I will re-edit and reupload the video with a change in my song in the next few days hopefully.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Do you girls think I should make a Control Option named "Lelouch" or "DRKFLMASTR" whenever I use :4feroy:

As a reference to Code Geass and Love, Delusions and Chuunibyou!. Since Roy's VA voices both protagonists in those anime.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
What the **** i said before that i think Fye's MKis good. smh

MK is a ground fighter period, he does no sh aerials in neutral and doesn't use aerials to approach. Even his new Nair sucks as an approach tool.

Ryu is such a God, until you fight a good Sheik. That's one top tier he 'might' struggle with.
I have to agree, Ryu is super good. I thought midrange and disjoints would be an issue, but then I discovered Nair OoS (gonna post it here for you gorls to see, RESPECT RYU)

Like, going from Doc to Ryu, feels so good! Ryu IMO has a more diverse shield game than Doc, it might actually be better! Fair, his actual Nair, SRK.....

He's super good. I think Pikachu and Sheik are legit the only chars who can lame him out, since Fair exists I don't think anyone else can at this point because you can throw that **** out on reaction and win. When Ryu gets in, he wins indefinitely, and thankfully thanks to Fair and his tools, he actually can do that! It's like if Doc was designed better LOL

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Zelda's Farore's Wind K.O'd at 63%

IDC if Luigi was somewhat close to the blast zones, BAN•ZELDA.

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I have to agree, Ryu is super good. I thought midrange and disjoints would be an issue, but then I discovered Nair OoS (gonna post it here for you gorls to see, RESPECT RYU)

Like, going from Doc to Ryu, feels so good! Ryu IMO has a more diverse shield game than Doc, it might actually be better! Fair, his actual Nair, SRK.....

He's super good. I think Pikachu and Sheik are legit the only chars who can lame him out, since Fair exists I don't think anyone else can at this point because you can throw that **** out on reaction and win. When Ryu gets in, he wins indefinitely, and thankfully thanks to Fair and his tools, he actually can do that! It's like if Doc was designed better LOL
why is the video called fair oos when it's only nairs

EDIT: nevermind, that's his fair apparently, looks like a nair :/

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I wonder if Ryu is going to suffer the same fate as poor Link nerf-wise due to For Glory scrubs using him non-stop online.
No, he'll get buffed because scrubs will keep doing tatsumaki in the wrong direction instead of hadouken, and won't know how to do the real shoryuken properly, and instead will just whinge about how bad he is

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Bless Tatsunoko vs Capcom for teaching me the ways of the half circle forward and dragon punch motions years ago it has most definitely come up to this point of my life where such knowledge is useful.

I can win Ryu dittos because for once I have more technical skill than even some veteran Smash players all hail TVC it deserves a life accomplishment badge pls thx

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
@ Rion Rion That was some pretty bad input lag, lol. Wanna keep going?

EDIT: It's gone now! :bluejump:

Last edited:
Top Bottom