• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Combo Thread

Menoog

Smash Rookie
I don't know if anyone has said this I read most of the replies but haven't seen this. So its hardish to pull off but you can cross up using short hop dair so its decently safe. At 34% on mid weights + or - some on lighter weights and heavies. you can short hop dair(spike), fast fall dtilt, wait a tiny bit and fair, landing the dair is somewhat difficult but its never failed me as a true combo. Easy 43.3 percent. Granted the window is about 10%.

D

Deleted member 189823

I don't mean this to be mean, but as a genuine question:

How useful are these things, to people? Knowing basic combos is one thing. But I personally never found too much use in having to learn the exact percentages. It's too much for me to remember, and it only gives me information overload. I see all these cute Twitter combos, albeit very situational and stuff you'll hardly ever see in a real match. For all I know, maybe I should actually get to learn these, and maybe I'll stop missing a few D-air > Kicks, or the whatnot.

I should remember D-air > U-Smash is a thing. It's easier to connect, and you can maybe even get a small charge out of it (in theory, anyway).

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I don't mean this to be mean, but as a genuine question:

How useful are these things, to people? Knowing basic combos is one thing. But I personally never found too much use in having to learn the exact percentages. It's too much for me to remember, and it only gives me information overload. I see all these cute Twitter combos, albeit very situational and stuff you'll hardly ever see in a real match. For all I know, maybe I should actually get to learn these, and maybe I'll stop missing a few D-air > Kicks, or the whatnot.

I should remember D-air > U-Smash is a thing. It's easier to connect, and you can maybe even get a small charge out of it (in theory, anyway).
It's EXTREMELY useful. Think of it this way, when you flub a combo because you don't know the percent, then not only did you miss a combo, but you probably just gave up stage control. That can be the sole reason why you lose games. Furthermore, if you go and look at more popular characters like Inkling or Chrom, you will find charts outlining BnB kill-confirms and percentage-windows showing when they are true. If you combo past them, then that can lead to you contracting Marthitus when the character's kit should be immune to the disease.

It’s reactable and still true. Just practice it.
The tip about not having to input a direction when dealing with inward DI fixed my problem. I was trying to over-complicate things.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

It's EXTREMELY useful. Think of it this way, when you flub a combo because you don't know the percent, then not only did you miss a combo, but you probably just gave up stage control. That can be the sole reason why you lose games. Furthermore, if you go and look at more popular characters like Inkling or Chrom, you will find charts outlining BnB kill-confirms and percentage-windows showing when they are true. If you combo past them, then that can lead to you contracting Marthitus when the character's kit should be immune to the disease.
I just don't see myself thinking, "oh its 50% I can now do this" at a very small window and I'll probably end up fishing for it, rather making it natural. Most of my combos basically just happen. I can't imagine how robotic one would have to be to segment percentages, or maybe I just don't know how that really works.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I hope Zelda got buffed this patch
Nope. As far as Nintendo's patch notes go, Zelda was untouched. That MIGHT be for the better? I think that the only things that are patchworthy are her Nayru's hitboxes randomly killing offstage and then doing literally nothing other times (#BringBackDiamondDive). As for reasonable buffs?

Grab could be made faster
D-Smash hits could be made slightly stronger
Better linking nair, especially if the opponent started getting hit while above it
Farther-reaching d-tilt

One last thing. I discovered a tech for Zelda in this game that is worth exploring...if any of you want to DM me we can lab it out before I make it public.

D

Deleted member 189823

My friend and consistent training partner is in absolute awe, desbelief and terror in the fact we can literally, consistently kill people off of D-Throw at 50 at the ledge. Killed his Wario twice on the same match at 60-65 (I'm pretty certain D-Throw > Kick combos up to around 70-75 and kills close to center stage). Actually even killed him at 45% with max rage, and this is when he stated there's no way it can be true otherwise she would be Top tier.

Either people don't actually know this, or have yet to get their hands dirty and use Zelda's full moveset (i.e her actually fast normals). We have like 4-5 moves that combo into Kick and can consistently kill as early. One of them that comes to mind is D-Tilt, and I'm starting to think it's not so bad at catching a few landing aerials (caught Marth's B-Air and killed him off of it at around 70). D-Tilt > Kick might not combo as early as I thought it did, and it's DI pattern still a little weird. I have about 5 matches were I literally killed my opponent in every single stock with D-Tilt > Kick at 50-70, sometimes even higher. I could upload said matches, or just make a compilation off of it.

tl;dr master D-Throw/D-Tilt > Kick and learn to combo into it as high percentage as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

SirQ

Smash Rookie
Got a couple nasty little combos I’ve discovered in the lab (tested on lucina with high DI)

Reverse utilt will combo into bair at around 30%

(Personal favorite that I’ve been trying to land in game for a while) at low percents short hop nair utilt utilt bair will do around 54%

At super low percents utilt can combo into hard dair which can follow up into another’s utilt and you can string into other utilt combos based on positioning and DI

(This one is super nasty) at around 50 hard dair utilt uair and with a little finesse you can catch their descent with up b killing them off the top

If you can’t tell I love utilt I think it might be Zelda’s best combo tool and can catch a lot of sloppy getups. Now we’re cooking with oil Zelda mains

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I don't know if this has already been mentioned, and I don't want to go through this entire thread, but you can extend the percent window of Dair > Up-B by doing a jump then using Up-B in the air. You could do it from a wide range of percents by mixing short, full, and double jumps, but I think the most optimal is before Up-air starts to reliably KO(and it gets pretty tricky at higher percents). So:

Light
45-70

Medium
65-90

Heavy
85-120

tested on Pichu, Mario, and Bowser and these should be taken as rough estimates, as I don't have any way to test DI and character size and weight, even among the same weight class, can make a difference. The easiest way to do this would be to have tap jump on and buffer a jump with the stick and press B when you get to your opponent, while still holding the stick. That should allow you to observe what angle you're going to hit.

You'll need to hit around the top of the first hitbox and angle the second, as it will pop them at an angle. You can see which angle it's going to pop them, by looking at which side of the first hitbox you hit them with. So if you hit them with the left side, it well pop them left and you will need to angle left. That goes for hitting with Zelda's head as well.

I think this will be very helpful on small characters, which are notoriously difficult to hit with options like LK and might not be safe to hit with Up-B OoS when being shield pressured. So say Pichu is F-Tilting your shield, you can Dair OoS and take his stock around those percents. This should discourage from trying the same in the future.

daddypeach

Smash Cadet
Oh that is sexy. There's another variation on the Twitter page with a drag-down Nair into up-b. Definitely gonna try that one out.

I wonder if it's really that hard to DI properly... Looks like the answer is just hard left or right? It at least avoids death at the end.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Apparently, I do Twitter now. I honestly just want an accesible way of showing my clips (of which I have a decent amount), and it's a place most frequented among Smash players and for people who don't have an attention span of over 10 seconds.

https://streamable.com/6kqvd (streamable because **** it). Not spilling all the beans just yet, but you guys are alright.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Quarantine isn't a good idea. It's making me a better player.

Last edited:
Top Bottom