• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Balance and MU Learning

GleXx

Smash Rookie
NNID
GleXx76
I partially agree, Nayru's love is powerful but like said before it has a big end lag unless you ground cancel it but besides that if its done on the ground you're pretty much open for a few frames to get punished. But besides that i love the fact that it works as a good deflector and shine just that if its done in mid air all attacks from below you will hit.

necko kat

Smash Cadet
PMBR did an amazing job with Zelda in 3.0. The first time Zelda characters have been viable have been in PM. Like with Pound 5.5, a Zelda main made it to Grand Finals with people like Mango, M2k, and Chillen in bracket. Her designed is well balance for a defensive character and any change to her would be detrimental. Her current design allows her to stuff mindless approaches, yet if they bait her, it can lead to a world of hurt. Melee and Brawl Zelda were terrible characters compared to top 8 and now she can stand on her own when people put time and effort into her like Ryoko, Salem, Zhime, and even Blondie.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I've been using PM Zelda for pretty much the entirety of my PM career (so around 8 months).
I personally don't like how almost every attack she has can almost effortlessly follow up into Lightning Kick, but that's just me.
I feel like the only thing that REALLY needs to be toned down is Nayru's Love.
It can be spammed to hell in several situations, and it almost completely invalidates match-ups against characters like Samus and Link.
Overall, I think it's way too safe.
A lot of characters are sadly designed similarly. Most of the cast's dash attacks all pop up slightly to be followed by (insert bread and butter move). The issue with Zelda is that she's pretty slow.. and if you let her hit you, then you made a bad approach or error in spacing. Complaining about getting kicked off of Dins I could maybe understand more, but I think they aren't nearly as controlling as people make them, many characters can nairplane throuh them, etc.

Maybe it isn't that lightning kick is too good, it could be her other moves are too bad, or are built to exploit her 1 really good move. It's like Sheik.. If she hits you with ftilt... she's going to fair you. If she dthrows you... she's gonna try to fair you. If she dash attacks and hits you... she's going to fair you.

I am just trying to make it relate able to the rest of the cast. And I feel as though I made a fair point.

As for Nayru's Love...... The people who complain about this are the ones who don't play around it. I've said it once and I'll say it before, I would give up this move entirely for something better. She isn't very mobile in it outside of Love Jump, the aerial land cancel is rather niche imo and as for it invalidating the Link and Samus MU that is rather biased. The one character who I CANNOT beat with Zelda is Link. Reflecting any of his projectiles grants me no advantage WHATSOEVER. The rang does nothing if reflected, the arrow is meh, the bomb is nice to reflect, but it will never go far enough to hit him. And if I do try to Nayru's at him he punishes me incredibly hard. Other characters have reflectors as well. Frame 1 reflectors. But those MU's aren't invalidated?

I'm just trying to be the other side of the coin, I actually enjoy seeing other sides of the opinions.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
A lot of characters are sadly designed similarly. Most of the cast's dash attacks all pop up slightly to be followed by (insert bread and butter move). The issue with Zelda is that she's pretty slow.. and if you let her hit you, then you made a bad approach or error in spacing. Complaining about getting kicked off of Dins I could maybe understand more, but I think they aren't nearly as controlling as people make them, many characters can nairplane throuh them, etc.

Maybe it isn't that lightning kick is too good, it could be her other moves are too bad, or are built to exploit her 1 really good move. It's like Sheik.. If she hits you with ftilt... she's going to fair you. If she dthrows you... she's gonna try to fair you. If she dash attacks and hits you... she's going to fair you.

I am just trying to make it relate able to the rest of the cast. And I feel as though I made a fair point.

As for Nayru's Love...... The people who complain about this are the ones who don't play around it. I've said it once and I'll say it before, I would give up this move entirely for something better. She isn't very mobile in it outside of Love Jump, the aerial land cancel is rather niche imo and as for it invalidating the Link and Samus MU that is rather biased. The one character who I CANNOT beat with Zelda is Link. Reflecting any of his projectiles grants me no advantage WHATSOEVER. The rang does nothing if reflected, the arrow is meh, the bomb is nice to reflect, but it will never go far enough to hit him. And if I do try to Nayru's at him he punishes me incredibly hard. Other characters have reflectors as well. Frame 1 reflectors. But those MU's aren't invalidated?

I'm just trying to be the other side of the coin, I actually enjoy seeing other sides of the opinions.
Those are all very good points. You probably know more about Zelda than I do.
I was probably jumping the gun when I said Link was useless against Zelda. My only experience with the match-up ends up with my Zelda winning, but obviously if you're having trouble with Links, then the Links I play probably aren't that good.

That being said, a LOT of my friends have good a good Samus. Samus is definitely the character that gives me the most trouble, and I'm usually lucky when I win. But when I bring out Zelda, I end up 3 or 4 stocking them almost every game. Once again, maybe the Samus mains I play just aren't that good, but I barely have to try with Zelda, whereas with my actual mains I almost always lose.
IMO, any character with some sort of reflector will have an easy time with Samus (my mains ain't got those). What sets apart Nayru's is the fact that it can be used in so many situations. I've used it to stuff approaches, as a combo breaker, as a gimp, as a set-up for kicks, and other things. It's practically a panic button, and the only way to punish it is to actually bait it out or by having spot-on SDI.

Run DMX

Smash Cadet
"So, it has come to my attention that PM Zelda will be getting nerfed. Bad. Like, Melee Zelda bad.

I totally support the Zelda we have now, I think she's the perfect balance between strengths and weaknesses, and she has a very unique fight style that I've learned to enjoy. Who all here would be against her getting nerfed? And if that's the case, fight the power, people. Keep the Zelda alive."

I already posted this in another Zelda thread. I'm just trying to spread the word!

The_NZA

Smash Lord
the strongest sweetspot on bair/fair (22% dmg critical heel) is the size of rest and must be landed frame 1.
Why should someone with that amount of skill NOT get rewarded for landing a kick with that much precision?
Melee kick system is still superior to the current version in every single way in terms of power and ease.
I'd love to see a list of other moves with the same hitbox sizes of rest, because I've messed around with Zelda after having 0 play experience and her fair/bair are NOT difficult to land with the heel hitbox. Also, I disagree with this whole design philosophy of "difficulty of execution is a fair counterbalance for strength of a move" because someone who is a top player will learn the spacing extremely well and then it doesn't matter, does it.

Take Rest. It isn't balanced by the smallness of the hitbox. It is balanced by the fact that you are incapacitated for 10 seconds after using it, and you are the lightest character in the game. Fair/bair on the other hand are kind of free as ****.

I got nothing but respect for you, though, Zhime.

EDIT:

Also, a lot of you guys talking about matchup inexperience being the only cause of losses against Zelda need to give players who are trying to figure out the counterplay a bit more credit.

In the last month I have money matched a strong local's Zelda, played Sanity Thief's Zelda, played against KDJ's zelda for an hour in preparation for my Apex pools match against Salem, I played Salem's Zelda in a set in pools, played against Rizner's Zelda in a money match bo5, and played Zhime's Zelda in 5 or 6 matches at Apex.

Zelda is the only character in this game, besides my own, where I've poured over her frame data and tried to understand and devise her strategies in my head. BEFORE all of the Apex matches mentioned above. She is the only character in this game that I continue to find badly designed.

Some might say its because I "dont like playing against defensive characters". I don't know how true that is, because, IMO I don't think Zelda is exclusively a "defensive" character. I mean, its not like she has crushingly bad mobility: her aerial drift is equivalent and even better than most characters, and her ground teleport is a fine option to get her in the position she wants to be in, anywhere on stage in neutral. As a defensive character that has 2 smash attacks that start on frame 5/6, two deadly aerials that are frame 5 have ridiculous range, have more killing power than it seems every aerial not named Fox's uair, and have incredibly short cooldown (not disputing it was more abusive in melee, just pointing out the facts of the move as it is currently in PM). That toolset alone makes her god like in defense, and still a threat in offense.

Her dash attack feels better than peaches. When I'm dthrow'd and I DI towards her (meaning I go flying far from her), she can cover a tech in place with a Dash attack, and a tech away with a missed dash attack into a second dash attack (seems to work on me). And thats all without mentioning the nayru's love panic button, that keeps her immensely safe when she has a din's fire in front of her.

Personally, I understand why a defensive character like Zelda needs a way to put on pressure to force an opponent to approach her, but when I play against Zelda as Ness, I feel like that ***** gives me NO room to take a breather. That is because, IMO, the ability to make Din's fire take a longer route to grow it into a massive explosive hitbox that is quite capable of killing is a little too strong. I mean, it doesn't even take much more time to grow a Din's fire, since it gathers speed as you keep the b button held down. All the while, it's hurtbox doesn't increase in size at all!? IT's still a miniscule small threat on the board until it actually poses a massive danger to you. THAT does not equate with a weak offense. That equates with a tremendously powerful offense AND an even stronger defense.

Now, does that make Zelda OP? No, not in many matchups. A Wario can weave in and out and bait responses, a Lucas/wolf/shiek/fastfaller can pressure her hard, and a disjointed sword character like roy or marth can cut their way into her effective range. But what does a Ness do, pray tell, from a Zelda drifting away and dins firing, and teleporting across the stage to repeat the process when you finally reach her?

At best, I'm convinced she's stupid good in some matchups, at worst, I find Nayru's love, dins fire, and her fair/bair in need of tweaks.

Last edited:

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to see a list of other moves with the same hitbox sizes of rest, because I've messed around with Zelda after having 0 play experience and her fair/bair are NOT difficult to land with the heel hitbox. Also, I disagree with this whole design philosophy of "difficulty of execution is a fair counterbalance for strength of a move" because someone who is a top player will learn the spacing extremely well and then it doesn't matter, does it.

Take Rest. It isn't balanced by the smallness of the hitbox. It is balanced by the fact that you are incapacitated for 10 seconds after using it, and you are the lightest character in the game. Fair/bair on the other hand are kind of free as ****.

I got nothing but respect for you, though, Zhime.
I feel that is only one of the types of ways they tried to balance her. She fits into the category of a glass canon. Since her mobility is so limited, which becomes more and more apparent the further up the skill ladder of your opponent, she gets far less chances to land with it against these said opponents who know the matchup well. Thus, she NEEDS the ability to hit hard. The critical lightning kick also already took a nerf with 3.0. A critical lightning kick should just about never hit an opponent in the neutral game who knows the MU and is good with spacing. As for combos, she only has a few options that allow a good chance to land it and those options become increasingly limited by percentages and the opponent's DI. Keep in mind I'm coming from the view point of viewing this MU at a really competitive level as opposed to casual play.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
The critical lightning kick also already took a nerf with 3.0. A critical lightning kick should just about never hit an opponent in the neutral game who knows the MU and is good with spacing. As for combos, she only has a few options that allow a good chance to land it and those options become increasingly limited by percentages and the opponent's DI. Keep in mind I'm coming from the view point of viewing this MU at a really competitive level as opposed to casual play.
People say this **** but you can't point me to a high level PM set where the critical lightning kick doesn't net at LEAST 2 kills.

I think what I see as the most debilitating aspect to Dins fire, thunder kicks, her two smash attacks, nayrus love, is that they are ALL low risk, high reward moves. That's a problem, to me.

EDIT:

I also want to make another clarifying point about where I stand with this character in her current version. I now Secondary Shiek/Zelda because Zelda is ridiculously easy to use at a moderately effective level. So yeah, I very much take a "can't beat them, join them" approach.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
For the record, I don't think she needs to be immensely nerfed or anything. I'd just curb the power of the "small" hitbox's on fair/bair, take away more of the frames of intangibility on aerial nayru's love, change the VISUALS of nayru's love to better reflect their hitboxes (I know she has no hitbox above her but you would never know that based on the aesthetics of the move), I would lower the amount of drift she has when dins firing from the air (giving you less of a reason to run away with it, or use it whilst recovering as a catch all protect myself), and I would increase the dins fire hurtboxes (especially when they travel the longer path and immensely grow) so that playing "her" game isn't so infuriating. You don't know how many times i've committed to defuse a din's fire with my small ness limbs and missed it, only to explode and die.

I'd also consider decreasing the kill power and explosion range of the large din fires that Zelda players make, but that might be too extreme along with the other changes. Either way, I do think she's a little too easy to be efficient with, much like Ivysaur 2.6.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
People say this **** but you can't point me to a high level PM set where the critical lightning kick doesn't net at LEAST 2 kills.

I think what I see as the most debilitating aspect to Dins fire, thunder kicks, her two smash attacks, nayrus love, is that they are ALL low risk, high reward moves. That's a problem, to me.

EDIT:

I also want to make another clarifying point about where I stand with this character in her current version. I now Secondary Shiek/Zelda because Zelda is ridiculously easy to use at a moderately effective level. So yeah, I very much take a "can't beat them, join them" approach.
First off, thanks for sharing your opinion on this stuff. There are a few points I don't agree with and I'd like to discuss them with you. I also just popped in my copy of PM and testing some of this stuff right now to double check. I can see why Ness would have a hard match up with Zelda.

First for some Ness/Zelda Matchup points. I have found that Ness's bat out spaces both Zelda's f-tilt and forward smash. For Din's placed around Ness's level, the bat can take care of them pretty easily. For aerials I'm finding that Ness's Uair, dair, and bair can take care of them regardless of the size. What makes it kind of tricky is doing the aerials in combination with his double jump as they seem to cancel his upward momentum. Fair doesn't appear to work which I could see being a problem for recovery purposes. You can absorb the static din's with your absorption shield but not the explosion. If a Zelda places a din's on you while you already have your absorption shield up it will automatically absorb it. For recovery I would try to float through it with the shield already on if it is in front of you, dair if it is below you.

I'm going to edit this post with more info and I am still writing. I'm posting this now so you have something to look at. You posted a lot of stuff lol.

I have also found that all of Ness's tilts will cancel the Din's mines. Just make sure you aren't standing directly next to it (as in almost touching) or you will get hit.

I find that her aerial mobility is nothing special. She is a slow faller so she has a float like effect when she is coming down, but she can not change her direction on a dime excluding wave bouncing with din's. She seems pretty easy to me to pick out of the air.

Now to talk about Lightning kicks. The Fair version comes out on frame 8 and has an IASA frame of 44, while the Bair version does come out on frame 5 and has an IASA frame of 42. The move is far from being very safe. Perhaps from an air to air approach it is hard to get in on Zelda from a whiffed kick unless you are using a character like Peach with her incredible aerial mobility or a fast faller who can use their double jump and then come down on her. However most of the cast have the advantage of beating her back to the ground. A ground to air approach makes the move very unsafe especially on shield. A Zelda initiating the Lightning kick just after leaving the ground is wide open if the move did not connect. A jump canceled UpSmash out of shield or aerial have plenty of time to punish her as she won't be able to perform another kick until she almost hits the ground. If she uses the kick coming from the air just before she hits the ground with the idea of doing an L-cancel, most characters can still shield grab her or perform another option. It's far from being a safe move outside of comboing. I would also expect it to kill at least twice in a match. It's no different from Fox's UpSmash or Falcon's Knee. I would expect it to mostly be out of combos however or at least while an opponent is trying to recover and their options are limited.

I like the idea of having Nayru's having a more correct visual to indicate the reflective properties but I know it reflects at least slightly above her head from my testing with Ness's PK thunder. Fox or Falco's laser would probably be a better tool to figure out just how much of it can reflect. I disagree with it being a safe option though. I'm assuming you are speaking of the aerial version so I will discuss that version. The intangibility on aerial Nayru's does not come out until frame 5. This means that if a combo is being interrupted by it, it is not a true combo on Zelda. Zelda is like Peach in that she tends not to fall back into combos that might be guaranteed on other heavy characters or fast fallers. It is therefore, the player's responsibility to learn where these holes are in their combos and bait the Nayru's. I feel it is not a difficult bait to cause as most Zelda's are probably mashing B, and the move itself has an incredible amount of end lag. Even if it happens to be in a land canceled position, just fast fall and you will definitely beat her to the ground and be able to punish (even if you can't beat her to the ground you can certainly attack her from the air before she can do anything). If the Zelda chooses to use the love jump version, worst case scenario you are in a huge positional advantage over her. It is her weakest position to be high above the opponent. Nayru's is not a safe option as a panic button.

IMO Upsmash is also pretty limited in that it should mostly be used in guaranteed situations such as OoS when spaced right and countering a move with enough end lag. It's safety mostly comes from use within combos. Unlike many other character UpSmashes it doesn't have a wide horizontal range nor does it extend lower on her body.

I fully agree with you that the hurtbox for Din's mines should match the size of the mine if it does not currently. Though in the tests I mentioned I didn't have too much trouble taking them out with Ness though even at full size (I realize testing is different from a high stressed tournament match though lol). Din's mines are not terribly safe to use in the air as they leave her wide open by keeping her stuck in lag and slowing her down in the air.

As far as Zelda's dash attack being better than Peach's are you referring to it's utility against other characters. If so I can't really speak on that. If you are talking directly about the move being used against Peach's, I know they completely cancel each other out which leaves Peach with the advantage. As far as it's use with d-throw it results in a tech chase game and not a guaranteed followup. The dash attack is easily shielded and punished which works in the situation you described. None of her throws are guaranteed minus her upthrow on spacies and maybe a few heavier characters. I don't see a balancing issue with the dash attack.

When Zelda is in the air attacking her from directly below and coming in at 45 degree angles (picture her body on an X/Y axis) should allow you to approach her pretty safely. If she is coming down having your shield ready when she is low to the ground will really put the pressure on the Zelda and make them extremely uncomfortable.

As you probably already know from my thread, I feel Zelda is already well balanced but I appreciate you taking the time to express how you feel about her. I want a Zelda that can be viable in the game but not unfairly dominate the rest of the cast as was the case of a select few characters in melee. I also want a Zelda that both Zeldas and the community can be happy with. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui
I also believe Zelda is currently fine the way she is. Sure if you find her camping annoying, but here's the thing...you aren't supposed to let her do that! This is where she's at her best and thus why people complain due to the fact that they struggle approaching her. As for her Nayru, sure its a really good GTFO move BUT, here's the problem. Zelda isn't the type of character you just rush blindly into you gotta use your approaches efficiently using Dash-Dancing, Wavelands, etc etc, not doing-so will result a severe punish i.e fair'ed or Nayru'd. Nayru also isn't as tough to deal with as people think, you can bait it and she's open for a free hit. Nayru on sheild is also safe if you can react to it. Overall, Zelda is fine the way she is and I have no problem with her current-self atm.

I already posted this in another Zelda thread. I'm just trying to spread the word!

Arcalyth

GLS | root
NZA I like a lot of your ideas. Things like changing the graphics on Nayru's Love, increasing Din's Fire hurtbox size, maybe even making the explosions smaller (hard to set my bias aside on that one :p) are all changes that make sense and that I would even hope for in a future version. I don't think her kicks need changes though, simply because she's easy to lock down on the ground. Lightning kick is indeed one of Zelda's most versatile moves, filling in many functions like approaching, defensive spacing, comboing, and KOing. However, these functions can also be compared to e.g. Knee, Fox's or Sheik's bair, and most sex kicks.

I'd like to contest your idea of the relative safety of Din's Fire while channeling; the hitbox on the fireball doesn't come out until she lets go and she's completely vulnerable otherwise. She can choose between increased mobility at the tradeoff of decreased safety and decreased utility of her traps (because Zelda needs to be conscious of the placement, order, and timing of her fireballs in order for them to be effective). I also disagree with usmash being low risk/high reward. The endlag of usmash is quite punishable and the range is not very good. Even on hit, the opponent can SDI the first hit to not eat the usmash (like Fox uair) or they can avoid the followup at medium percents by SDIing the last hit.

The rest of your points are valid imo, but when you take out what I said above, it doesn't seem excessive, especially in comparison to the rest of the cast's abilities.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
NZA I like a lot of your ideas. Things like changing the graphics on Nayru's Love, increasing Din's Fire hurtbox size, maybe even making the explosions smaller (hard to set my bias aside on that one :p) are all changes that make sense and that I would even hope for in a future version. I don't think her kicks need changes though, simply because she's easy to lock down on the ground. Lightning kick is indeed one of Zelda's most versatile moves, filling in many functions like approaching, defensive spacing, comboing, and KOing. However, these functions can also be compared to e.g. Knee, Fox's or Sheik's bair, and most sex kicks.

I'd like to contest your idea of the relative safety of Din's Fire while channeling; the hitbox on the fireball doesn't come out until she lets go and she's completely vulnerable otherwise. She can choose between increased mobility at the tradeoff of decreased safety and decreased utility of her traps (because Zelda needs to be conscious of the placement, order, and timing of her fireballs in order for them to be effective). I also disagree with usmash being low risk/high reward. The endlag of usmash is quite punishable and the range is not very good. Even on hit, the opponent can SDI the first hit to not eat the usmash (like Fox uair) or they can avoid the followup at medium percents by SDIing the last hit.

The rest of your points are valid imo, but when you take out what I said above, it doesn't seem excessive, especially in comparison to the rest of the cast's abilities.
You know, that little part about Usmash's first multi hit being like that, I actually didn't know! ^ ^ That's pretty interesting.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I feel that is only one of the types of ways they tried to balance her. She fits into the category of a glass canon. Since her mobility is so limited, which becomes more and more apparent the further up the skill ladder of your opponent, she gets far less chances to land with it against these said opponents who know the matchup well. Thus, she NEEDS the ability to hit hard.
I don't really think Zelda is glass cannonish. Sure, she dies at lower percents off the top than most characters, BUT she also has the one of the strongest anti-combo games. Normally, Ness can dthrow uair kill characters like Ivy/Zelda/Peach at 75-80%. I did this to Rizner a few times to great success, but when I tried it on Zhime, he love jumped out of the aerial and I was left being like "what...the..****". Zelda is not easy to combo and not so easy to kill that justifies the "cannon" that she comes equipped with.

First off, thanks for sharing your opinion on this stuff. There are a few points I don't agree with and I'd like to discuss them with you. I also just popped in my copy of PM and testing some of this stuff right now to double check. I can see why Ness would have a hard match up with Zelda.

First for some Ness/Zelda Matchup points. I have found that Ness's bat out spaces both Zelda's f-tilt and forward smash. For Din's placed around Ness's level, the bat can take care of them pretty easily. For aerials I'm finding that Ness's Uair, dair, and bair can take care of them regardless of the size. What makes it kind of tricky is doing the aerials in combination with his double jump as they seem to cancel his upward momentum. Fair doesn't appear to work which I could see being a problem for recovery purposes. You can absorb the static din's with your absorption shield but not the explosion. If a Zelda places a din's on you while you already have your absorption shield up it will automatically absorb it. For recovery I would try to float through it with the shield already on if it is in front of you, dair if it is below you.

I'm going to edit this post with more info and I am still writing. I'm posting this now so you have something to look at. You posted a lot of stuff lol.
I hope you trust I have more experience than you in the matchup as I parse through your advice. And while I am really touched that you took the time to try and give some topical matchup advice, a lot of it isn't particularly strong or is "scratching the surface adaption" that I am already doing. Batting her in neutral is an intresting idea, and it is worth noting that Her only good responses to it are dash attack. But I would never bat a Din's fire when I can use an aerial on it (and I do that quite a bit). Also, absorbing dins fire is great when your far away, but close up, you are asking to be faired.

On contraire, you can't compare her fair with a knee, or a fox bair, or a sex kick because it kills at least 10% earlier than a falcon knee, and has the length of like...a marth fair. Its literally ALWAYS a gamble for Ness to contest her in the air, because of the risk of eating a fair which (at its tippered/maximum distance) can kill you at 60-70%. That move is silly. Like, really really silly. And no, I don't think its hard to hit with. I, a total noob with Zelda who usually sucks at playing new characters, can land it with some regularity in a match. If it has to keep its same power, I would motion for it to have a longer cooldown. But honestly, I think any 5 frame aerial with that kind of range, power, and safeness can only be bad for the game. Especially when you take into account how fluid she is in the air with her air mobility (that really shocked me when I started playing as her, since I've always heard of how immobile she is).

I'd like to contest your idea of the relative safety of Din's Fire while channeling; the hitbox on the fireball doesn't come out until she lets go and she's completely vulnerable otherwise. She can choose between increased mobility at the tradeoff of decreased safety and decreased utility of her traps (because Zelda needs to be conscious of the placement, order, and timing of her fireballs in order for them to be effective).
This tradeoff you speak of, isn't that big a tradeoff at all. That's my issue. That she doesn't significantly take a hit in mobility when shes drifting backwards shooting a din's fire. In fact, it aids her recovery onto the stage by propelling her forward and slowing her descent. I think Zelda needs to take a REAL risk when using din's fire, and that has to be MORE than just an opportunity cost of "oh I could be doing a different move". Because she can jump backwards and drift and din's fire combined with her ability to teleport past someone to the other side of hte map, she can essentially stay pretty mobile in her camping.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
You're right I don't know the Ness Match up that well and hope you didn't take it as any sort of an insult. I was just trying to help out. I know virtually nothing about Ness so I apologize if it seemed that way. I realize some of it also was very situational. Obviously canceling a mine with an aerial as you suggest or one of Ness's tilts would be far more efficient. I just know that tournament nerves are a real thing so I put out the idea of the bat. The Din's/absorption suggestion was for if you have a Zelda that is knocked you high up and is trying to juggle you with Din's. Sorry for the confusion. I do, however, know Zelda. While Din's does aid her in recovering it also leaves her wide open against characters that can reach her, and it is far from an OP element with aerial movement in my opinion. If she uses a dins to float back, just shield the din's, jump, or attack it and keep moving. I'm assuming you are already on the approach of course while in neutral and that this is occuring while she is attempting to place a mine.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Zelda's movement still isn't good, Dins movement isn't overpowered by any means either.

I do know that Ness seems like he would have a bad MU with Zelda.

Her fair has half a block(training room) range than Marth's fair, but it not disjointed.
Her fair sweetspot KOs approximately 5-8% faster than Falcon's knee, any other part of it KOs significantly later.

I can land the Jigglypuff's rest quite easily against some players, that move must be overpowered as well as it KOs over 60% earlier than Falcon's knee.

I will agree that Zelda isn't "extremely" difficult to use, and that there is also a certain point where gaining skill or experience doesn't make her any better. It has already been discussed briefly by the PMBR that easy to use characters are not necessarily a detriment to the game. I also haven't seen much national hate towards her, nor have I seen any matches of her in action that made her seem at all unfair or overpowered.

Zerudahime

Smash Apprentice
I will say this, playing zelda in a high level competitive atmosphere is much more difficult than playing casual matches.
Hence why there arent many high placements w zelda in tournament. It requires much more precision and time to plan which is not something that is given in that sort of environment. So the critical kicks being the way that they are, the reason they offer such an immense reward is because you have to plan on hitting with it, AND actually hit with it. But, We have already discussed this already in detail so, u know how I feel NZA. <3

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Zelda's movement still isn't good, Dins movement isn't overpowered by any means either.

I do know that Ness seems like he would have a bad MU with Zelda.

Her fair has half a block(training room) range than Marth's fair, but it not disjointed.
Her fair sweetspot KOs approximately 5-8% faster than Falcon's knee, any other part of it KOs significantly later
1. She's not immobile in the air. Relative to the cast, she might be less mobile, but she doesn't have difficulty weaving into the angles she needs to. She's no shiek in the air by any measure (meaning sheik weaves way worse in the air). On the ground, your right, she doesn't move particularly spryly, but she also never really has to... Like, I'm not convinced if her ability to run was improved, if that would actually translate into a stronger character since her ground toolset is pretty optimal for her stand still or dance in the air playstyle.

2. Agreed, its a bad matchup for Ness. I think its 65-35 in Zelda's favor.

3. Did you say it has "half a block (more) or (less) range than Marth's fair"? It is true that marth's fair is disjointed--I was simply comparing them in their enormous range.

4. Also, I think your kill percent calculation is off although I can't test it. I've seen a zelda lightening kick kill a Metaknight when he was at 50% and I know I die as Ness often at 70% to the lightening kick. Theoretically, I guess knee COULD kill ness at 78% but I think Zelda's lightening kick has a more devastating angle. Regardless, when you start talking about sub 80% kills, every 2-3% in differentiation of power is PRETTY significant.

I can land the Jigglypuff's rest quite easily against some players, that move must be overpowered as well as it KOs over 60% earlier than Falcon's knee.

I will agree that Zelda isn't "extremely" difficult to use, and that there is also a certain point where gaining skill or experience doesn't make her any better. It has already been discussed briefly by the PMBR that easy to use characters are not necessarily a detriment to the game. I also haven't seen much national hate towards her, nor have I seen any matches of her in action that made her seem at all unfair or overpowered.
1. The jigglypuff Rest argument is a TOTAL strawman fallacy. Jigglypuffs rest is NOT balanced by its difficulty of use (which I've already pointed out), or its lack of range (which, regardless of hitbox sizes, Zelda's fair/bair are much longer ranged). Jigglypuffs rest is balanced by the fact that she essentially gives up her stock if she misses (and sometimes even after she hits) when she is above like 40%. People like me arguing about the power of her fair/bair have NEVER said "there should be no move in the game with greater power than the knee". We have been arguing that there shouldn't be a move with close to the range of marth's fair, more powerful than the knee, with 5 frames of startup and a low cooldown (which makes it so even when you miss, you can often get a second try). It's cheesy, extremely powerful, does not fall into the smart system of comparable risk and reward.

Again, this would be a different conversation if, say, the sweetspot was close to zelda rather than far from her, as that would put her in more risk.

2. Easy characters are not a bad thing, but I also disagree with you when you say she doesn't have a high skill ceiling with a ton of potential. I think Zelda players can get infinitely better from where they are now. Have you SEEN Zhime? He makes all the rest of y'all look like your using half her moveset.

I will say this, playing zelda in a high level competitive atmosphere is much more difficult than playing casual matches.
Hence why there arent many high placements w zelda in tournament. It requires much more precision and time to plan which is not something that is given in that sort of environment. So the critical kicks being the way that they are, the reason they offer such an immense reward is because you have to plan on hitting with it, AND actually hit with it. But, We have already discussed this already in detail so, u know how I feel NZA. <3
Hey man, nice of you to drop in. I wouldn't say there aren't many high placements of Zelda in tourney--there was you and Salem in top 32 (and probably others). Of course, I would make the argument that there aren't many high placements of ANY character not named "Fox, Falco, Bowser, Marth, Metaknight??, Wolf?? and Mario". That doesn't mean Ike is in a bad place, or DK, or DDD, or Pit. I would say you have as many major tourney wins with Zelda as anyone has with any other character that is agreed upon to be really good.

As far as the planning and hitting with lightening kicks...Like I said. She's pretty damn mobile in the air, and she can force people into positions to give her a ton of options. As long as your jumping back and swaying in the wind, its not the hardest thing in the world to line up somebody in the proper range. If the sweetspot was close to you, I'd agree that it requries planning, because you would have to invite a ton of risk and hope you wouldn't get knocked out of it for opting for hte powerful delicious spot instead of the really nice sweetspot. But in its current form, its like "I'll stay away from you, and if you overlap in the right spot, i'll throw up my frame five kick. If I'm lucky, this is going to be gimp worthy. If I'm not, **** it, it'll be a normal stock ending aerial". You already know, though, Zhime. I got nothing but respect for you, and I think you are the MOST talented and fun zelda to play against.

jtm94

Smash Lord
It has half a block LESS range than Marth. So it does reach kind of far, but it isn't unpunishable because she has to place herself dead infront of the opponent to land it.

We tested on Bowser in the middle of pokemon stadium from exactly where he spawned in. The Lightning Kick at the sweetspot is indeed stronger, but from what we tested it sent at a higher angle than the knee every time. That could just be related to Bowser.

Alright, then move the lightning kick to her hip. Or revert it to Melee standards.

And I have indeed seen Zhime play, and have rewatched the same matches quite a few times. I find it impressing as all h*** that he can even come close to topping with a character like Zelda because I truly do think she's limiting. It's one of the few things that inspires me to keep playing Zelda and that any char can pull off wins when piloted by the right person.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Hey man, nice of you to drop in. I wouldn't say there aren't many high placements of Zelda in tourney--there was you and Salem in top 32 (and probably others). Of course, I would make the argument that there aren't many high placements of ANY character not named "Fox, Falco, Bowser, Marth, Metaknight??, Wolf?? and Mario". That doesn't mean Ike is in a bad place, or DK, or DDD, or Pit. I would say you have as many major tourney wins with Zelda as anyone has with any other character that is agreed upon to be really good.
I noticed that among that list you did not include Zelda despite her critical sweet spot lightning kicks. As I understand it, the point of Project M is to create a game where any character can be viable. In her current form, Zelda players have their best chance they have ever had to compete with those characters that you mentioned. If those characters are not going to be brought down to the rest of the cast, it makes no sense to nerf Zelda when currently she only has the CHANCE to compete with those characters. Zhime is ONE Zelda that has performed well (top placing) in highly competitive tournaments, ONE. To nerf her now would highly seem to suggest that people simply don't want to see Zelda perform well. What Zhime proved was that Zelda has the potential to perform well. So until we see a spike in the number of Zeldas that surpasses those characters you mentioned, there is no reason she needs to take any sort of hit. All I'm suggesting is to give it more time. It is clearly way too soon to decide if she needs to be changed.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I noticed that among that list you did not include Zelda despite her critical sweet spot lightning kicks. As I understand it, the point of Project M is to create a game where any character can be viable. In her current form, Zelda players have their best chance they have ever had to compete with those characters that you mentioned. If those characters are not going to be brought down to the rest of the cast, it makes no sense to nerf Zelda when currently she only has the CHANCE to compete with those characters. Zhime is ONE Zelda that has performed well (top placing) in highly competitive tournaments, ONE. To nerf her now would highly seem to suggest that people simply don't want to see Zelda perform well. What Zhime proved was that Zelda has the potential to perform well. So until we see a spike in the number of Zeldas that surpasses those characters you mentioned, there is no reason she needs to take any sort of hit. All I'm suggesting is to give it more time. It is clearly way too soon to decide if she needs to be changed.
I'm not really sure what your first sentence means...but I don't think a character needs to be proven broken in order to be relegated to the status of "flawed design". For example, Wario's downsmash nerf/DKs downb range nerf/Ivysaurs changes weren't done because those characters were dominating everything they were in and were broken. They were redesigned because aspects to their moveset were toxic. I am making the argument that aspects of Zelda are very toxic, regardless of tourney wins.

To give you another example of toxic design, I think Ness's current design which promotes Pkfire camping is extremely toxic. And I'm a Ness main. It's okay to feel like something is toxic and should be changed to make it better for the game, and that doesn't mean you have to admit it is "broken" per se.

It has half a block LESS range than Marth. So it does reach kind of far, but it isn't unpunishable because she has to place herself dead infront of the opponent to land it.

We tested on Bowser in the middle of pokemon stadium from exactly where he spawned in. The Lightning Kick at the sweetspot is indeed stronger, but from what we tested it sent at a higher angle than the knee every time. That could just be related to Bowser.

Alright, then move the lightning kick to her hip. Or revert it to Melee standards.
Melee lightening kicks were apparently too strong, according to Zhime, when Ryoko and him played around with that idea.

As far as your test, I want to first off thank you for testing the strength of the lightning kick. The only other thing I would say is that Bowser is the heaviest character in the game (as far as I know) so he isn't knocked nearly as far by various attacks. This could mean that the disparity between the knee and lightening kick could be greater than 5-8% based on how much knockback protection Bowsers weight provides. The divide could be 10%+ if the character getting hit was Mario, or Peach or someone else. Either way, I think its insanely powerful.

D

Deleted member

i agree with NZA pretty much in every aspect. so +1 to all of those posts.

i also think labeling zelda as a "defensive character" is a bit of a red flag in itself.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
As you know I've always thought that she needs a few subtle BUFFS. You've heard me talk about them before so I won't mention anymore on that subject. @ The_NZA The_NZA I feel that her weaknesses are so pronounced that for one to not capitalize on them is by no means an error on the behalf of the character designer and every bit the person's fault for not knowing the MU. I'm not saying that you are guilty of doing this, I just believe that if a character is to be nerfed, it is because there is no reward in exploiting their weaknesses. I just hopped on this thread so, if my input has no real relevance to the topic at hand, I apologize.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really sure what your first sentence means...but I don't think a character needs to be proven broken in order to be relegated to the status of "flawed design". For example, Wario's downsmash nerf/DKs downb range nerf/Ivysaurs changes weren't done because those characters were dominating everything they were in and were broken. They were redesigned because aspects to their moveset were toxic. I am making the argument that aspects of Zelda are very toxic, regardless of tourney wins.

To give you another example of toxic design, I think Ness's current design which promotes Pkfire camping is extremely toxic. And I'm a Ness main. It's okay to feel like something is toxic and should be changed to make it better for the game, and that doesn't mean you have to admit it is "broken" per se.
I totally agree that toxic elements are unfavorable. The point I am trying to make is that characters that are dominating the entire cast right now, for example fox, have these toxic elements and don't seem to be getting nerfed. The shield pressure he can exert makes it impossible to deal with if performed perfectly and he can create that opportunity regularly due to his incredible mobility. If we're going by the same logic that was discussed with the critical Lightning Kicks, that is difficulty to perform shouldn't be a factor because a highly skilled player will be able to deal with it, then Fox is a perfect example of one of these toxic elements though he is not getting hit. In regards to Zelda, I personally don't feel her critical Lightning Kicks fit into this element especially when you take her entire character design into account. I realize we're probably just going to have a difference of opinion on that subject which is fine.

Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I totally agree that toxic elements are unfavorable. The point I am trying to make is that characters that are dominating the entire cast right now, for example fox, have these toxic elements and don't seem to be getting nerfed. The shield pressure he can exert makes it impossible to deal with if performed perfectly and he can create that opportunity regularly due to his incredible mobility. If we're going by the same logic that was discussed with the critical Lightning Kicks, that is difficulty to perform shouldn't be a factor because a highly skilled player will be able to deal with it, then Fox is a perfect example of one of these toxic elements though he is getting hit. In regards to Zelda, I personally don't feel her critical Lightning Kicks fit into this element especially when you take her entire character design into account. I realize we're probably just going to have a difference of opinion on that subject which is fine.
People also say that the ICs are broken, but professional ICs know how hard it is to get a grab that can lead into a chain. Now if their grab range rivaled that of Marth's, then the toxicness would kill you. But they don't, so they're not. Like I said, characters can have great moves as long as their weaknesses can be exploited.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I totally agree that toxic elements are unfavorable. The point I am trying to make is that characters that are dominating the entire cast right now, for example fox, have these toxic elements and don't seem to be getting nerfed. The shield pressure he can exert makes it impossible to deal with if performed perfectly and he can create that opportunity regularly due to his incredible mobility. If we're going by the same logic that was discussed with the critical Lightning Kicks, that is difficulty to perform shouldn't be a factor because a highly skilled player will be able to deal with it, then Fox is a perfect example of one of these toxic elements though he is getting hit. In regards to Zelda, I personally don't feel her critical Lightning Kicks fit into this element especially when you take her entire character design into account. I realize we're probably just going to have a difference of opinion on that subject which is fine.
As I hope I've made clear, you won't find me disagreeing that Fox is also indeed toxic. But I posted in this topic--A topic that specifically calls out "zelda haters" and attempts to teach them the ins and outs of moves that they may be losing to, as a way to broach a conversation on whether Zelda ought or ought not be changed. This is NOT a topic about Fox and his toxic elements, so please, lets talk about Zelda here.

Frankly, if you click on my name and see where I have posted, you will know that I am also a sharp critic of leaving fox's usmash intact in its current form.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
As I hope I've made clear, you won't find me disagreeing that Fox is also indeed toxic. But I posted in this topic--A topic that specifically calls out "zelda haters" and attempts to teach them the ins and outs of moves that they may be losing to, as a way to broach a conversation on whether Zelda ought or ought not be changed. This is NOT a topic about Fox and his toxic elements, so please, lets talk about Zelda here.

Frankly, if you click on my name and see where I have posted, you will know that I am also a sharp critic of leaving fox's usmash intact in its current form.
The up smash isn't the problem, it's the nair planes and the shine pressure. His up smash could be Ganondorf's Brawl up tilt, and he'd still be a poison pill.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman

No worries man. I wasn't trying to suggest that you are biased die hard Fox supporter, and yes I would also appreciate the topic being focused on Zelda. I was merely mentioning that character to make a point in regards to Zelda, not to focus on Fox. That point was to express that Zelda, IMO, should continue to have the critical Lightning Kick in its current form in regards to how the rest of the cast is currently shaped. From that point of view, I think it is important to reference other characters from time to time. We do , afterall, need to view Zelda in the context of how she relates to the rest of the cast and we can only go by what we currently have.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
The up smash isn't the problem, it's the nair planes and the shine pressure. His up smash could be Ganondorf's Brawl up tilt, and he'd still be a poison pill.
DIfferent people have different opinions on the problem. I don't need to change this topic to be a "what's wrong with fox" topic. Although, I do find it interesting that many Zelda players use Fox as a shield to defend some of her design. I remember even Zhime in person told me "it's really not any more ridiculous than Fox's usmash". Thats the thing to me...we should be moving away from moves with those absurd properties--Not moving towards them.

I don't think there is a move that is a fitting paralel of Zelda's Fair. For its 5 frame startup, range, low cooldown, and the fact that its an aerial, there is no move with it's power. Like, it's not even CLOSE.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
No worries man. I wasn't trying to suggest that you are biased die hard Fox supporter, and yes I would also appreciate the topic being focused on Zelda. I was merely mentioning that character to make a point in regards to Zelda, not to focus on Fox. That point was to express that Zelda, IMO, should continue to have the critical Lightning Kick in its current form in regards to how the rest of the cast is currently shaped. From that point of view, I think it is important to reference other characters from time to time. We do , afterall, need to view Zelda in the context of how she relates to the rest of the cast and we can only go by what we currently have.
I feel that whatever changes are made to her, that her side b remains the same, I feel that her strengths are amazing, but her faults are equally (maybe a tad less) spectacular. I want to keep the traps and the fair, bair, and teledash, but PM can do what they do best with everything else.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
DIfferent people have different opinions on the problem. I don't need to change this topic to be a "what's wrong with fox" topic. Although, I do find it interesting that many Zelda players use Fox as a shield to defend some of her design. I remember even Zhime in person told me "it's really not any more ridiculous than Fox's usmash". Thats the thing to me...we should be moving away from moves with those absurd properties--Not moving towards them.

I don't think there is a move that is a fitting paralel of Zelda's Fair. For its 5 frame startup, range, low cooldown, and the fact that its an aerial, there is no move with it's power. Like, it's not even CLOSE.
No, but have you seen the sweetspots on them, they're tiny! As for power, the Knee, the Shadow Claw. The power of it is actually bad for her, it makes it so it's hard to combo without dins.

Are you saying that characters should all be like Brawl Mario? It's okay for a character to have absurd strengths, I don't believe that Fox should be nerfed, his weaknesses are just as exploitable as his assets. No one wanted Brawl Ganondorf to be nerfed, and he has the stupid powerful neutral b!
You know why? It's because he has weakness.
I'm really sorry about the double post, it won't happen again. I didn't realize I did it.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman

I agree with you about moving away from moves with absurd properties. I think Fox is probably regularly referenced, by more than just Zeldas, because he is commonly regarded as the best character in the game within the community for a second time as he was in Melee. I feel that unfortunately we are not moving away from those moves, and that element really comes down to people's differing opinions of what should belong in Smash. If these moves with absurd properties are going to exist though, whether we like it or not, I feel it isn't OP for Zelda to have one. This is a point for those who feel the critical Lightning Kick falls under that category. As I have already stated, based on how the move is constructed and within the context of the character, I do not feel it even qualifies as such.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord

Just a question: Are you saying that the PMBR should completely overhaul Zelda because one move is over powered or do you just want that move to be hit with the nerf bat?

(not trying to seem hostile)

I'm trying to piece together what you want the PMBR to do to Zelda, but because of the sheer amount of posts and varying opinions it's hard to tell.

Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I agree with you about moving away from moves with absurd properties. I think Fox is probably regularly referenced, by more than just Zeldas, because he is commonly regarded as the best character in the game within the community for a second time as he was in Melee. I feel that unfortunately we are not moving away from those moves, and that element really comes down to people's differing opinions of what should belong in Smash. If these moves with absurd properties are going to exist though, whether we like it or not, I feel it isn't OP for Zelda to have one. This is a point for those who feel the critical Lightning Kick falls under that category. As I have already stated, based on how the move is constructed and within the context of the character, I do not feel it even qualifies as such.
Like Zhime said, the sweetspot is as hard to hit with as rest. I say that she is perfectly balanced and if you take anything away from her, she'll be garbage. Now, a few small buffs wouldn't hurt her. Such as: teledashing off the respawn platform, or the immense startup of aerial up b being canceled if you touch ground during its startup.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
While not a HUGE deal, it should be pointed out that the Critical lightning kick hitbox is only around 2/3 the size of rest.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Like Zhime said, the sweetspot is as hard to hit with as rest. I say that she is perfectly balanced and if you take anything away from her, she'll be garbage. Now, a few small buffs wouldn't hurt her. Such as: teledashing off the respawn platform, or the immense startup of aerial up b being canceled if you touch ground during its startup.
Correction: Zhime said the hitbox is as big as rest. Not that it was as hard to hit with.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
While not a HUGE deal, it should be pointed out that the Critical lightning kick hitbox is only around 2/3 the size of rest.
So it is smaller but perhaps more ideal to land since the Lightning Kick isn't focused on Zelda's body while it is for Jiggs.

Looks like we have conflicting information. lol ^(ShadowGanon's post)

Top Bottom