• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

::: Z E R O 2 D ::: -- now with 100% more M3D

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
I've been talking to buzz, and we are gonna be using a 125 pixels by 200 pixels base. If you think it is too much effort, you don't have to participate.

matt4300

Smash Ace
I've been talking to buzz, and we are gonna be using a 125 pixels by 200 pixels base. If you think it is too much effort, you don't have to participate.
uhh.. that was condiscending.:ohwell:

I know i "don't have to participate" but I would like to help out. It's hard to find good spriters much less good ones with time on there hands.. I was just trying to save the spriters lots of effort time. Not only that but with the amout of animations each char will have its gonna be hard to keep spriters for any amount of time. I have worked many spriteing projects over the past few years and most people give up when it takes to long to produce results... which is why there are so many "NEW SMASH GAME" threads that fail. Only reason I am willing to help on this is that buzz is invoved... I know of him from ShowMeYourNews, and hes older than most guys here wich means he probley has more patience, and will get things done.

guess i'll see how things go before I write this off.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
The official size of the sprites is not set in stone. The plan is to experiment with a 125x200 guideline because I want the game to operate at pseudo HD, but I am not committing to anything until the test runs are complete. Once I see the animations in action, I can make a more solid judgment call on the size and art style.

Finding spriters is indeed important. I am not super concerned at this point for two reasons: this is an open project, so spriters can come and go. Second, my wife is an artist, and she is learning to create this kind of art. So, in a worst case scenario, I have to motivate her to create art for me. In the meantime, I already have several volunteers.

I welcome any help for the project.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
I might be able to help... a little bit.
I can't really create sprites completely from scratch, but if you give me a rough base, I can polish it. All I need is a "sketch", so to speak.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
So, Buzz, I am just curious: what language is this coded in? Although it would not matter since I know very little (except for TI-Basic to program stuff on calculators -_-) I am currently learning C++ and if that's what your using, it would be very interesting to see the potential of C++, and perhaps motivate myself to devote more time to it

Psytrese

Smash Cadet
I think matt4300's style is the way to go. It looks awesome and is quick to reproduce. No reason why you shouldn't.

No disrespect to the other spriters, but so far he's easily the best one here. This project clearly has incredible potential and you want to show this in the official art.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Fortunately, the size of the sprites has virtually no effect on the coding end. We will be able to plug in different sized characters for testing purposes. I do not mind using smaller/simpler sprites, but I do eventually want a bigger, more HD-style sprite. All in due time, I guess...

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
so i herd u liek zeor 2d?

In more serious news, the project is coming along very well. :3
We already have a fighter doing stuff (not one of ours, tho, haha) as well as working physics, and the development of the characters is going well, too.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
I know its probably not much to look at, but can we see it? I hate when things update and the message reads: We're doing great so far we go this stuff going for us and its going smoothly. Not that its not important to update regardless I just think it needs more visual stimulation to keep people interested, although im sure people will flock to it regardless once its done.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I know its probably not much to look at, but can we see it? I hate when things update and the message reads: We're doing great so far we go this stuff going for us and its going smoothly. Not that its not important to update regardless I just think it needs more visual stimulation to keep people interested, although im sure people will flock to it regardless once its done.
If you want to stay up on updates as they happen, I recommend you join the forum!

Aside from that, if you want "evidence", this is all I got based on my code:

Animation/Graphics test -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLPY9R_g7TM

Physics Demonstration -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5KsbKee12A

SVN is up and running! More updates!

http://zero2d.smashnexus.net/showthread.php?tid=70

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Bump.

Gasp! :O

Yea, we're still on it. Currently, we really really REALLY need artists, mainly sprite artists, but normal people who can draw (character concept art, to be exact) would be very appreciated, as well.
We hardly are able to progress because of the lack of visuals. For more information about the current state of the project check out the forums. :3

http://zero2d.smashnexus.net/index.php

Ianx3

Smash Cadet
If you need another spriter, or even character concepts/move ideas/ character ideas, hit me up. yewnar@hotmail.com is my MSN.

@Above, just read your post... I could do concepts and or sprites. No work available to show atm, but, I'm in Art2 GT in my highschool, if that counts for anything :l.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Hey, Ianx3.
Please check out the forums, there you'll find pictures of the 2 test dummy characters, Shun and Darius. If you could create a little sketch and a sprite (neither has to be overly detailed or something) of one of these characters to show us what you can do, we'd highly appreciate it.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Look up Card Sagas Wars trailer on youtube. Its a MUGEN project with many crossovers - Smash included. They look very promising and their spriting/pixel art skills are amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6KCSmyWdbY
The sprite art there is done by Auron. I don't think he takes requests at this point.

Unless you were just showing off the game in general, in which I don't think has much to do with the topic at hand. Not that it doesn't look amazing anyway.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I am very aware of the Card Saga Wars stuff. The Link vs Cloud video is what got me all fired up about this project back in the summer.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Ah okay. I just mentioned it because I thought it might help motivate you with your project or even provoke ideas. Looks like it already has though. Good luck with your project.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
If you need another spriter, or even character concepts/move ideas/ character ideas, hit me up. yewnar@hotmail.com is my MSN.

@Above, just read your post... I could do concepts and or sprites. No work available to show atm, but, I'm in Art2 GT in my highschool, if that counts for anything :l.
Make sprites, concept art isn't that necessary right now.
>_>;;
-DD

bboynotbgirl

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, and I'm kind of noob, but if this has joystick support would that mean I can map my ps3 controller to it, like in NullDC the dreamcast emulator. If not would it be possible to support a ps3 controller?

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, and I'm kind of noob, but if this has joystick support would that mean I can map my ps3 controller to it, like in NullDC the dreamcast emulator. If not would it be possible to support a ps3 controller?
Not that we need it, since GlovePIE can connect anything to anything.

Anyway, since Elecbyte's back, I guess you can try HD resolution too lol

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Make sprites, concept art isn't that necessary right now.
>_>;;
-DD
Going DIRECTLY against the words of your superior, honey? I DEFINITELY need concept art for the characters I've started working out.
Where the hell are you anyway?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
We already have an inconsistent spriter (DarkDragoon), so a consistent one would be awesome.
Check the forums for movesets of the 2 test dummy characters.

bboynotbgirl

Smash Journeyman
Not that we need it, since GlovePIE can connect anything to anything.

Anyway, since Elecbyte's back, I guess you can try HD resolution too lol
I've heard of GlovePIE but I've never seen it. Is it hard to use? Sorry for being so noob =p

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Open Source Mugen is win.

Question here really goes to how easy it will be to add new characters and configure the engine in general. Will we manually have to extract characters and point the program to their data file, and package all the sprites in silly formats, or could we just stick things in a zip/rar file (With a sensible folder structure) and have the program do the rest?

If all the silly formatting for animations and the effects of everything were removed from Mugen then it would be an infinitely more accessible game.

That and we could actually get online play working for a change, that would definitely make things more fun. A good online system would really "Make" this game.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Open Source Mugen is win.

Question here really goes to how easy it will be to add new characters and configure the engine in general. Will we manually have to extract characters and point the program to their data file, and package all the sprites in silly formats, or could we just stick things in a zip/rar file (With a sensible folder structure) and have the program do the rest?

If all the silly formatting for animations and the effects of everything were removed from Mugen then it would be an infinitely more accessible game.

That and we could actually get online play working for a change, that would definitely make things more fun. A good online system would really "Make" this game.
I hear ya, 200%. The complexity involved in MUGEN manipulation is absolutely ridiculous. It's not too bad for tech savvy users, but for the average person, it was just stupid. I do plan on working toward a human interface that makes the whole process quite intuitive. Naturally, the first few iterations and test runs will involve nasty file edits (just to get the system working), and then I will add a nice interface on top!

Online play is another big part. Network play will be a major requirement for this project. ;)

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
I've been waiting to find out how long it took before someone did this.

When you get right down to it, the Smash universe basically consists of the following factors:

User inputs
Animations
Frame speed
Hitboxes, their size, timing, positioning, damage, knockback, and effects
Grabs and throws
X and Y values for spatial positioning, both relative and absolute
All stats and actions that can be found in PSA
Projectiles, which can have any factors that appear in characters
Freely definable variables

Some special moves can be a bit creative, but a Game Maker-like engine, plus the ability to define whatever variables you want, could be very flexible. All universal inter-character interactions are pretty much defined by damage, knockback, grabs, and a few universal status effects, like Sleep or Stunned (just one thing - if you make a Poison effect, don't make it grow a flower on their head. That's just silly.) It shouldn't be overly difficult to make an engine that is both user-friendly enough for beginners and powerful enough for experts. Sort of like PSA, but with more defined variables.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Going DIRECTLY against the words of your superior, honey? I DEFINITELY need concept art for the characters I've started working out.
Where the hell are you anyway?
>:p Concept art is easy though.

>_> and I has college and junk. Heavy load this term, which is almost over. 3d Modeling takes up so much timeeee T-T;;

<_< but being the only [sprite]artist on a project is really not fun, if I had people to collaborate with it would motivate me to do more work!

Like when there were two other guys around that were doin' stuff, and I made a buncha sprites real fast-like? Yeah. Then they left and I was like meehhhh.
-DD

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Well no matter how easy it is, I need some. And considering you vanished, I thought you were out for good, just like every other spriter we had.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Well no matter how easy it is, I need some. And considering you vanished, I thought you were out for good, just like every other spriter we had.
Naww. I still have contact with Buzz, and I'm still around here, which is more than we can say for the other.
-DD

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
So waht characters are you going to add? If its like M.U.G.E.N. , then we can add our own once its done? So if i got some cool Mario Sprites, you would use them?

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Not sure if i gathered everything to comment, but so far this seems pretty cool. Is it going to be like a Flash game in a webbrowser or an actual downloaded to your harddrive program?

Wish i could lend a hand, but i have little to none programming experience. All my experience is hardware based in reference to a computer. I've always wanted to make a video game, but these days its getting so in depth i dont think i can simply learn to do it. You all sound like youve been tinkering with codes since you were 5 years old. All i tinkered with was Legos and paints and old radios lol.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
So waht characters are you going to add? If its like M.U.G.E.N. , then we can add our own once its done? So if i got some cool Mario Sprites, you would use them?
The characters we're adding are done by us, and aren't copyrighted by any company or something. However, if you have Mario sprites and want to make yourself a Mario character, you'll be able to plug that in yourself.

Not sure if i gathered everything to comment, but so far this seems pretty cool. Is it going to be like a Flash game in a webbrowser or an actual downloaded to your harddrive program?
It'll be an actual game. No Smash Flash stuff.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Sweet, then i can put it on my laptop and play it while im traveling/deployed! w00t!
EDIT: We will be able to alter the controls right? Cuz i use an xbox360 controller for my emulated games on my laptop (corded one) not those crappy 15dollar Logitech controllers.

Top Bottom