• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

::: Z E R O 2 D ::: -- now with 100% more M3D

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Everything is responsive on the XBox controller except for the analog triggers (shoulders). That is amazing considering I am testing it in Linux of all things.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
The SVN is back up and running. If you are interested in watching (or helping) the code base, check it out!

http://code.google.com/p/zero2d/

My current focus is implementing Lua scripting. This will grant designers virtually endless freedom in using the engine.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
The 2D part is the only thing that bothers me. Maybe you can get it to work though. Every other 2D Smash bros-esque game suffered from a horrible lack of polish.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
We're trying our best. Keep in mind that it's not a typical "Smash" game, but an engine similar to what MUGEN is, and that the official game release accompanying it will have nothing to do with Smash at all.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
The 2D part is the only thing that bothers me. Maybe you can get it to work though. Every other 2D Smash bros-esque game suffered from a horrible lack of polish.
Most other games are hacked together using Flash, which is a terrible platform. The polish can only be helped by the community surrounding the project. If no one puts any time into building good characters, it will indeed struggle. Much of that is out of my control though. I will work my tail off to make the best engine possible, but I have zero artistic talent. :p

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Plus Buzz gave me the idea of using 3d models and porting them into sprites for the purpose of easier animation, which is great news for me. And even greater news if a 3d version were to be crafted. :3

Now I just need time to work on everything LOL.
-DD

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I do have hopes of putting together Zero3D someday, but by and large, 3D model creation is beyond 99% of the populace. I am becoming somewhat of an expert in 3D programming, but that does not say squat about my own ability to make 3D art. I want content creation for Zero2D to be very accessible. 2D sprites allow that to happen. With Zero3D, I don't know that I would even go for allowing user created content; I'd probably license it to some company and make a packaged product.

some-guy

Smash Apprentice
\Yup. Lots of tripping. In fact, I plan on adding random coughing, passing out, laughing, etc. Anything I can do to make the game SO MUCH FUN!
Heart attacks, strokes, cancer, explosive diahhrea, spontaneous combustion, cramps, sneezing, and that kinda stuff too? D:

But seriously. >_____>

Anyways, other than that (lol) this project seems pretty pwn, I was thinking about this awhile ago too. o.o

humble

Smash Ace
Couldn't you simply ask some of the people who do spriting for mugen? Or use some sprites designed for mugen? You could probably find willing spriters/sprites.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
It would be a start, but it still requires special treatment. Typical fighters (the ones that MUGEN mimics) focus on left/right only. Smash involved combat in all directions (up-airs, back-airs, etc.).

humble

Smash Ace
It would be a start, but it still requires special treatment. Typical fighters (the ones that MUGEN mimics) focus on left/right only. Smash involved combat in all directions (up-airs, back-airs, etc.).
Go find spriters from MUGEN (and similar games) and kidnap them for your project. ;)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
After I have got someone to draw concept art of him for me, we finally got a third official character in the roster, after the 2 "test dummies" Darius and Shun - Dimitri, the evil Russian rat.

I'm currently working on his moveset, but you already can see his looks and such on our forum.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
You could check Pixeltendo, the forums for The Spriter's Resource. They have a lot of very high quality spriters iirc.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
It's not a mugen thing, it's a completley new game with a fully integrated character maker.

I guess you could call it a "smash bros mugen with an entire game included", lol

D

Deleted member

nice to see this project is still being worked on. how are things progressing Buzz?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
nice to see this project is still being worked on. how are things progressing Buzz?
The engine is almost stable. I am very close to having a playable demo (do not confuse "playable" with "enjoyable"). It's tricky because I learn about new stuff about OpenGL every single day! :p

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I can't wait. :D
If you need beta-testers, I'd love to.
Join the forum and watch for announcements. It's not in my nature to host any sort of private beta. All tests will be publicly available for anyone to poke around with.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Hi folks, its M3D. I'm going to be joining the Z2D team as the producer. My role will be to manage the documentation for the project, oversee design and help take the product from fun project into a profitable venture.

For those of you who don't know me, I've been a member of the competitive Smash community since 2003 and for a time I was a member of the MLG staff that ran Melee on the Pro Circuit. I have since moved into game development as a profession and have produced a variety of titles for PC, Mac, iPhone and other mobile devices. I'm excited to jump on board with Buzz and turn Z2D into a really exciting experience for everyone involved. Hopefully you all will be hearing a lot from me over the next few months as we get a playable version of this live and start to add a bunch of fun content.

EpE

Smash Rookie
*appears* hehehe, ive been working hard on learning spriting, I know im not an official member yet but Im working hard on enemy and character illustrations :D

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Hi folks, its M3D. I'm going to be joining the Z2D team as the producer. My role will be to manage the documentation for the project, oversee design and help take the product from fun project into a profitable venture.

For those of you who don't know me, I've been a member of the competitive Smash community since 2003 and for a time I was a member of the MLG staff that ran Melee on the Pro Circuit. I have since moved into game development as a profession and have produced a variety of titles for PC, Mac, iPhone and other mobile devices. I'm excited to jump on board with Buzz and turn Z2D into a really exciting experience for everyone involved. Hopefully you all will be hearing a lot from me over the next few months as we get a playable version of this live and start to add a bunch of fun content.
*$tarts working again*
-DD

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I'll never understand why people don't read the last date that this thread was active.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Fair enough.

I graduate from college in a few days. So, it's actually semi-appropriate timing. I'll be back to coding soon. ^_^

gnosis

Smash Lord
if this was a thread about some random topic no one was interested in anymore, duh don't bump it.

but i assume it's an ongoing project and the thread was only a little neglected. there was no official 'hey this project is dead' so i bumped it to say i was interested and see what was up

don't be a **** and think smart : )

EpE

Smash Rookie
Next year ill be getting equipment to do sprites faster with a drawing tablet
so far im going to stop making enemies because buzz needs more characters.

any ideas people has or suggestions should join the forum

see ya peopless

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
PayPal is being stupid. My web host suspended Zero2D.com because PayPal reversed a payment WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I fixed it. You can thank PayPal for being absolutely ********.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Bump!! For great justice!!

Buzz has been busy with life, so our engine work has been very slow lately. If anyone knows a coder with as much passion for Smash as the rest of us, please reference them to www.zero2d.com, to at least check our forums. We have amazing ideas for our Smash-physics based fighter.. We just don't have the coders.

Also, anyone and everyone is also welcome to join in the discussion and contribute ideas where necessary. This is a Mugen-inspired engine, so the community is encouraged to discuss mechanics and concepts openly for bettering the game.

Top Bottom