• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Youtube Modder Loopy Creates Gamecube Adaptor for 3DS

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Oh, I'm sorry, is the game out? You already own a copy and have played it extensively? You haven't? Right, my bad, that would be ridiculous. You just have no idea what you're talking about. There I go giving people the benefit of the doubt again when they really don't deserve it...
And what makes you more qualified mister ApparentlyHasTheGameAndHasAlreadyPlayedItExtensivleySoMustBeTheSoleWorldExpertOnEveryThingHandHeldSmashAndCantPossiblyBeWrongAboutAnything. :glare:

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
I somehow don't see this working too well unless there's some sort of system created to keep the 3DS a good amount in front of the face, otherwise it doesn't matter since a controller is useless if you can't see what you're doing on a small screen a foot or so away from you..
Maybe they can get a system set up to view the images on a TV, that'd make this a more viable option.

Til then, I just say to get used to the control set-up of the 3DS like a normal gamer..
From what I hear about the 3DS version the problem isn't seeing the game it's controlling it with the funky circlepad so this is actually a good solution

*Risen*

Smash Cadet
If your hands are on the controller, what happens to the handheld.

Think about that. Resting your 3DS against something? Nah. I'd try it, and that's kinda cool I guess, but no.

josh bones

Smash Lord
And what makes you more qualified mister ApparentlyHasTheGameAndHasAlreadyPlayedItExtensivleySoMustBeTheSoleWorldExpertOnEveryThingHandHeldSmashAndCantPossiblyBeWrongAboutAnything. :glare:
What if, *gasp* we want to play wit the best control style, are you gonna tell street fighter players to not use fight sticks now?

THT Shadow

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3179-6547-1126
I dont see whats all the hate with the adapter if you wanna use it then get it if you dont the have fun with the 3ds controls....Im sure people whant to use the adapter at least the competative scene to prepare for the wii u version. (so much hate for nothing)

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I made a thread a while back discussing the possibility of a 3DS Gamecube controller adapter and most of the responses were against it. It's interesting to see all the positive responses on this thread, however.

Yikarur

Smash Master
The Gamecube Controller is not the best controller to play smash.
it's just that everyone is used to it since melee.
Actually the Gamecube Controller's button lay out is terrible and the shoulder buttons aren't that good either.

The only good thing about the Gamecube Controller is, that it is wired. But wireless technic is good enough already to not really make a difference here.
I'll probbaly use the WiiU Pro Controller for SSB4U :)

Last edited:

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
What if, *gasp* we want to play wit the best control style, are you gonna tell street fighter players to not use fight sticks now?
You're missing the point of what Smash 4 3DS is supposed to be: Smash on the go! A portable way of playing Smash. That is also exactly what Super Street Fighter 4 3D was for as well.

ShaDoW4408

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadow4408
3DS FC
3668-9102-9707
Oh come on all he has to do is patent it and sell it to Nintendo and this guy is golden but really I think this is just overkill why not just get th e wii u version and if you want both just play the 3ds version casually.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
Oh come on all he has to do is patent it and sell it to Nintendo and this guy is golden but really I think this is just overkill why not just get th e wii u version and if you want both just play the 3ds version casually.
Because the Wii U version comes out later, so there will be a period of time where the 3DS is the only Smash 4 version, meaning no way to play it with the gamecube controller.

Adam.HI

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0018-1551-1007
What if I told you that my R button on my 3DS is broken.
What button do you shield with? R.
What button to you drift with in Mario Kart 7? R.
What button do you use to fast forward in Streetpass Plaza to not waste time talking to "petch" and "Lonk"? R.

In other words, it's better to get a new controller because a button is broken than BUY A NEW SYSTEM.
heh heh petch and lonk

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I'm glad They came out with this adapter. Smash is rough on controllers, and I don't think my 3ds would survive a years worth of smashing.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
From what I hear about the 3DS version the problem isn't seeing the game it's controlling it with the funky circlepad so this is actually a good solution
Wasn't difficult to me at all, honestly. The Circlepad isn't really that bad.
I just imagine that seeing the screen while using a controller would be difficult.
While I have heard people having issues with the controls, nearly all of them said the issue was just that they weren't used to it.
I've heard a ton of people saying they had a hard time seeing the game and keeping up with the action even on the XL's screen (though I haven't).

LonelyJaguar

Smash Cadet
Why would you show something like this off online just to keep it to yourself? It's obvious that many people would want to buy this, or at least be told how to duplicate it for themselves.

Personally though, I think it's a bit ridiculous and unnecessary. The 3DS is a handheld system. The GCC adapter for WiiU makes perfect sense, but this does not.

Last edited:

Firebert95

Smash Rookie
NNID
Firebert95
3DS FC
0318-8071-4293
I'm actually looking forward to playing on my 3DS. GC controllers are great but Nintendo is already pleasing the crowds bringing it back for the Wii U. I don't really think this is necessary, but it is cool ( =

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401

Well this is the wrong kind of adapt. Gamecube controllers aren't supposed to be an option on a handheld unlike brawl, PM and such. I don't know if this qualifies as cheating in the game to be honest.
I just don't see how hard is it to grab the handheld, practice for 15 mins to get the feel of the controls. I LOVE the GameCube controller.. don't get me wrong BUT at one time we ALL had to adapt to that controller was once new. For someone to put THAT much time n effort to make that adapter is humorous... yet genius (I contradict myself ALOT). hmmmm
WARNING CONTRADICTION INCOMING!!!!

At the same time this COULD be a money maker. ok you can stream handhelds on TV's soooo do that with the controller n it's a mini console. There's an idea

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Ok, the real reason I don't see the point of this is that I don't see why people would try to play the 3DS version competitively in the first place. If you want to play Smash 4 competitively, play the Wii U version. I thought the 3DS version was just supposed to be the version you play when you're on the go or when you're in a really boring place and you have nothing better to do.

Killabyte

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't even mind laying on a tournament room floor to make this setup work.
I love the Wavebird GCN controller that much.
It's too bad that I actually probably would mind laying on the tournament room floor to make this work.

Killabyte

Smash Rookie
The developers of Guitar Hero DS originally created a mini-guitar that plugged into the DS.
That idea was scrapped for being too silly, they went with their cool Game-Boy Advance slot peripheral instead.
Still,
These situations are almost similar.
There's your almost fun fact for the day.
I only need a few more posts to be able to send links so I can proprerly inform everybody of a new bi-weekly tournament.

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
*facepalm* How about actually getting accustomed to the 3DS's control scheme rather than waste time and effort making gamecube controllers an option that's not even needed for a system like handhelds! Trust me, smash bros on a handheld works better than you would think so long as you know what you are doing!
Lmao, you moron! GC controls are obviously superior to the 3Ds controls, why would you discourage this awesomeness? Do you work for Nintendo or something?

It's most needed for the 3Ds.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Im sorry for the people who think this idiotic u clearly havent felt how bad the 3ds controls are in comparison to the WiiU. Does it look awkward? yes, but all this " gotta learn to adapt." " I play competitively." is ********. the control scheme on 3ds is garbage. period. If I had the option of using a gamecube controller for the 3ds version I would use it in a heartbeat. the most hilarious part is I would bet 90% of the people babbling about adapting 1. play smash casually or 2. think going to ~ 3 tournaments and playing with their clan online makes them competitive. So stupid.

The only issue with this is that this man hasnt released it to the masses and if it will even be worth it in by the time the WiiU version comes out. THATS IT. If we had the 3DS version a year before we had the Wii U version you'd bet your sweet ass every competitive smasher would be on that adapter. "oh just adapt!" no stupid, ill let the adapter do that instead.

Malion

Smash Ace
finally I can plug in my wavebird wireless GC controller and play 3DS games from across the room....

I didn't think this through.

pluto

Smash Cadet
kudos for making this, and it seems to work beautifully, but honestly i don't see why everyone thinks it's the end of the world to have to use the 3ds controls. let's be real, competitively, i'm pretty sure almost every tournament will be utilizing the wii u version of sm4sh. i mean we're only going to have to wait a couple months at the most for the console version of the game, so no one really has to 'adapt' to the 3ds, you kind of just have to play on it for a little while and learn the engine and figure some stuff out, then go right back to your perfect gamecube controller when winter hits and you have the version of the game we actually all want.

AND apparently a lot of pros who have played the 3ds version like the way it feels MORE than the wii u version, and when i got to play it at smash fest it felt great. (keep in mind the demos/tournaments were all using early builds though). so just enjoy the 3ds version and take it with you LITERALLY EVERYWHERE and then enjoy your wii u version + gamecube controller. win/win.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Its a nice alternative if you have button issues but I've played the demo at Best Buy and being able to look directly at the screen in a MUST. I'll pass until my buttons break.

Malion

Smash Ace
how long until we mod a 2ds to essentially be a Gamecube controller with a screen on it?

Kirbybrawl

Smash Cadet
I take my 3ds with me everywhere so this isn't something I think would be comfortable for me to take and set up but still very interesting that this exists.

DatSmasher

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0903-2784-5063
I think there is this mod that allows you to use the 3DS via HDMI. It would be pretty cool to use this adapter with this mod.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
This would be useful IF AND ONLY IF the C-stick works, which it won't without some macro for the control-stick + A.

Yakko93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ohmy1985
Don't get me wrong, the Gamecube controller is one of my favorites, but I wouldn't use it on a handheld. I would just buy circle pad pro if the controls are really problem, or that new joystick that was revealed. The Wii U adapter is what I prefer.

Top Bottom