• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Youtube Modder Loopy Creates Gamecube Adaptor for 3DS

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Ok so, unless you have some sort of stand for your 3DS, this doesn't look like it would out too well for you.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Are people really this afraid to adapt? I play competitive and I find this adapter only necessary if your 3DS buttons need repairs or you're not comfortable with the default control layout and can't change your controls for the 3DS version for some reason. I think I'll pass on the adapter.
Looks like I got 1 agreer. XD

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Part of competing is all about adapting. After all we adapt to the opponent's play style in order to defeat them so y not adapt to using the actual 3DS/2DS controller...unless u wanna look like an idiot at a tournament having to stand n look down at your propped handheld while the opponent is relaxed LOL

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Part of competing is all about adapting. After all we adapt to the opponent's play style in order to defeat them so y not adapt to using the actual 3DS/2DS controller...unless u wanna look like an idiot at a tournament having to stand n look down at your propped handheld while the opponent is relaxed LOL
Well this is the wrong kind of adapt. Gamecube controllers aren't supposed to be an option on a handheld unlike brawl, PM and such. I don't know if this qualifies as cheating in the game to be honest.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Wow. That's cool.

Who aside from those who can't stand losing GC controls care?

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Looks like I got 1 agreer. XD
I don't think it'll work out anyway. :laugh:
The Kid Icarus Uprising stand can hold up the 3DS no problem but who wants to go through the hassle to buy the stand, the adapter, and have a place to set it at a comfortable level for you to look at the 3DS screen while playing, especially at tournies? You could save time by placing your 3DS on a table in front you while playing. Or just hold the handheld in your hands and play and still save money. Custom controls will most likely return so there really shouldn't be control issues unless of course your buttons are dead.

Btw the 3DS version plays great from what I remember at Best Buy. Little Mac and the Spirit Train stage don't mix.:upsidedown:

Last edited:

Acryte

Smash Ace
Lol to all the haters... have you ever tried playing SF4 on 3ds... the controls just don't work out very well for precision inputs like fighting games. Sorry to bust your nintendy bubble.

EDIT: Same with Blazblue.

Last edited:

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
I still can't believe people are gonna try to play the 3DS version competitively.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I'm sure it will be relatively quick to learn the 3DS layout and controls. I played the Smash 3DS demo thrice at BestBuy and they worked just fine.

This is a pretty neat invention and I'm sure it'll be there for those who need it. Personally, I'll be adapting to the handheld style and reusing my GC controllers for the Wii U.

As for this adapter being inadequate for a handheld, just scrunch down with the 3DS against your knees or lap, top screen in a slight obtuse angle. Have the GC controller cord go between your legs and hold the controller against your stomach or chest. Might be a bit clunky for some, but this could work just fine.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I would look so cool playing with this in public

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Lol to all the haters... have you ever tried playing SF4 on 3ds... the controls just don't work out very well for precision inputs like fighting games. Sorry to bust your nintendy bubble.

EDIT: Same with Blazblue.
I've tried out smash bros 3DS, it's fine without a GameCube controller.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Capture Card + PC + Gamecube Adapter = screen problem solved. Though honestly, I really doubt I'll need this.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Agreed but I'll tell you this I don't need to look at my hands to play with the gamecube controller. So I can just focus only on the screen.

This is very convenient and portable as well.
Let's say you're on the bus or a train or something. You have the Gamecube controller in your hands. How are you gonna hold up the screen? You could prop it up on your knees but that hardly seems comfortable and that kinda defeats the aspect of portability.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Let's say you're on the bus or a train or something. You have the Gamecube controller in your hands. How are you gonna hold up the screen? You could prop it up on your knees but that hardly seems comfortable and that kinda defeats the aspect of portability.
Yes, in that scenario, having no way to conveniently hold up the 3ds, then yes, I agree with playing with the hand controls. Once I get this adapter I will get use to the GCC for the 3ds but I will keep myself ready to use the 3ds controls if I have to

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Why are people saying stupid things like "stop being afraid to adapt", it makes perfect sense to want to use a gamecube controller if that's what you are used to, stop being so tryhard, its smash bros LOL

"I'm gonna adapt, then switch right back for Wii U" really?

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Yes, in that scenario, having no way to conveniently hold up the 3ds, then yes, I agree with playing with the hand controls. Once I get this adapter I will get use to the GCC for the 3ds but I will keep myself ready to use the 3ds controls if I have to
Fair enough. I guess you can use the Kid Icarus stand thing if you're going to stay at one place but that again defeats the portability which is the main reason people love the 3DS version (along with it coming out first).
The only reason this adapter seems necessary is for the C stick (which I personally rarely use) but let's hope the Circle Pad Pro makes a comeback. At the Smash event at Best Buy I saw a lot of people with Circle Pad Pro's so they're at least ready for it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
See, this would be fine if it holstered the 3DS. As an attachment, similar to the CPP.

However, this is way too tedious to seriously invest in. I'm alright with hooking GC controllers up to my laptop and using them in college, but I won't be using it on my 3DS.

This is progress, though.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Good lord... First P:M, now this? :facepalm: You can complain about any detail in Smash bros and someone will "fix" it.

Quit spoiling players, players. :v

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
To all the people complaining that others don't want to adapt to the new control scheme think of it this way; Street Fighter, King of Fighters, SoulCalibur,Tekken,Skullgirls,etc. can be played on different control schemes but the triet and true way to play is a fight stick as it is the BEST way to play the game, smash is the same way they offer many different control schemes but the gamecube remote is the triet and true way to play because it it the BEST way to play smash. Also so what if people would rather play with the battle tested classic, it's not like anyone is forcing you to do the same.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Honestly, while this is nice, I don't really get why people are angry that people would like to use GCN controllers. I mean, it's going to take time for some of us to get used to the 3DS controls (games like Kirby Fighters ease that bump), but I don't get why people are salty over the fact that people prefer the GCN setup. Some people have actual issues using the 3DS setup, and others don't. There's no definitive way to play Smash to some people, but to others, it is. That's why Nintendo made the GCN adapter, because many of us out there like myself still identify it as the "Go-To" Controller. It's an option, but it's not required.
And moreso, this isn't really designed to be portable, it's designed to be moreso a way to play at a stationary location from what I can tell. It's a nice little tool for now that's still looking to be fairly incomplete.

Last edited:

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Fair enough. I guess you can use the Kid Icarus stand thing if you're going to stay at one place but that again defeats the portability which is the main reason people love the 3DS version (along with it coming out first).
The only reason this adapter seems necessary is for the C stick (which I personally rarely use) but let's hope the Circle Pad Pro makes a comeback. At the Smash event at Best Buy I saw a lot of people with Circle Pad Pro's so they're at least ready for it.
How does it defeat the portability? The stand itself is portable.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
How does it defeat the portability? The stand itself is portable.
It needs to be on a flat surface, no? Sure you can take it anywhere but you can't have it moving around. Isn't anything portable supposed to be easier to move around?

Yahtzee puts it best in his Kid Icarus Uprising review.
Somewhere past the 2:00 minute mark.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
It needs to be on a flat surface, no? Sure you can take it anywhere but you can't have it moving around. Isn't anything portable supposed to be easier to move around?

Yahtzee puts it best in his Kid Icarus Uprising review.
Somewhere past the 2:00 minute mark.
LOL

I'd lay on my couch. Put a table next to the couch. Place 3ds xl on KU stand plug gcc adapter and play. Best comfortable way to play XD.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
LOL

I'd lay on my couch. Put a table next to the couch. Place 3ds xl on KU stand plug gcc adapter and play. Best comfortable way to play XD.
You're really committed to this aren't you? Haha I'll give you props for that. :laugh:
Yeah I suppose it does work at home. You'll have to be more creative when you use it outside though.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
That looks like a 2DS to me. Not a 3DS. The internals are organized in different spots so wiring would be different for the two. Try again.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I hope this piece of crap gets banned from offline 3DS tourneys, you have the Wii U version to use Gamecube controlers already.

Last edited:

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
*facepalm* How about actually getting accustomed to the 3DS's control scheme rather than waste time and effort making gamecube controllers an option that's not even needed for a system like handhelds! Trust me, smash bros on a handheld works better than you would think so long as you know what you are doing!
Well you'd be able to use any Gamecube controller so wear is much less of an issue, and afaik Gamecube controllers are less restricting for technical play.
Admittedly it would be pretty awkward using this unless there was some form of decent rig for it or something. On the go anyways and for people who don't have capture cards.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
OH COME ON THIS IS RIDICULOUS! Can't you actually...you know...get used to the damn control scheme!? God, Gamecube's not the only way to play Smash, stop the damn fanatism, Sakurai using the word 'maniacs' seems appropiate here :I
One can only pray it makes Kid Icarus Uprising somewhat playable.
Sorry, I can't hear you over how smooth Kid Icarus Uprising's controls are.

Last edited:

pickle962

Smash Lord
Honestly, while this is nice, I don't really get why people are angry that people would like to use GCN controllers. I mean, it's going to take time for some of us to get used to the 3DS controls (games like Kirby Fighters ease that bump), but I don't get why people are salty over the fact that people prefer the GCN setup. Some people have actual issues using the 3DS setup, and others don't. There's no definitive way to play Smash to some people, but to others, it is. That's why Nintendo made the GCN adapter, because many of us out there like myself still identify it as the "Go-To" Controller. It's an option, but it's not required.
And moreso, this isn't really designed to be portable, it's designed to be moreso a way to play at a stationary location from what I can tell. It's a nice little tool for now that's still looking to be fairly incomplete.
IMO, its like a big **** you to Sakurai and Namco who've busted their butts making smash on a portable system not only work, but also be worthy of holding the smash bros title! That's just me though. This community sometimes I swear! :/

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Well, I hope that's the case.
It is, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS worked just fine. It has the same button layout as the Wii U GamePad, Wii U Pro Controller, and almost the same layout at the Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro.
The only thing that needs to be done is for people who got used to playing the game with the Gamecube Controller to get used to the different control scheme. This includes myself, but its not something that seem too difficult since I managed to do fairly well with both the Wii U and 3DS versions when I tried them at the Best Buy event (they made us use Wii U Pro Controllers).
For me, I only really had to get used to not having a Jump Button directly behind the A Button but instead above and a bit in front of, which should be fairly easy to get used after playing the 3DS version for a couple hours.

Its not that people are 'mad', since I am one of those people who prefer the Gamecube Controller and even bought a 3rd Party Gamecube Adapter before Nintendo announced a far superior one (which I will buying as well).
My issue is that this looks awkward to use in general and I just don't see it being able to actually improve anyone's ability to play the game..if anything, it may hinder it since you'll be forced to play the game further away from the game's screen then the other players, decreasing your visibility and that it also completely takes away portability of the game, since you'll have to find a nice stationary place to play the game.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I find the concept of having the button commands of a handheld separate from the handheld itself a bit ridiculous and hard to handle. Really, I love the GC Controller but this is rather pointless.

Seriously, I think the 3DS button set up is just fine for Smash.

Top Bottom