• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your take on good cocky players on for glory.

JS.

Smash Cadet
NNID
JulianJJS
3DS FC
2337-5516-6874
So I just played a few matches with a random for glory player. I beat him using little mac 4 times in a row and after he won one game he started to get cocky. He would tea bag, taunt between combos, and honestly I rage quit after him dairing my Dark pit with captain falcon. Do you guys like these kind of people online? If so, why? Is it the motivation to make the person get back in their place or?

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Well whenever I find myself staying with a person I repeatedly beat I just leave when they finally win a match. IF this were to happen to me I honestly would just tea bag and taunt with him. Nothing really to rage over.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I just block them after the match is over and leave immediately if they begin doing that. There's no reason to continue playing against somebody if they are going to act like that, and I don't see any reason to ever play against them again.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I dislike cocky players (good or bad) quite a bit actually. Especially those who get insanely cocky after winning a single match out of say, four or more. I consider it to be pretty disrespectful and most of the time it's probably what they're trying to go for.

A great player should never feel the need to belittle someone else cause of their skill. No one is instantly good at something. It takes practice and sometimes a lot of it. Cocky players also show me how much of a poor sport the person is as well. I haven't faced a lot of cocky players; however, from my experience most of the time they try to pick on weaker players. For example, most often than not I'll finally beat a cocky player once after two or three matches, only for them to suddenly bail on me after said victory.

Now I try to be a very respectful player, especially if my opponent is as well. If they wish to taunt before a match I'll let them and even taunt back and so on. I try to be nice to everyone on Online Matches. Then there's the players who throw all of that out the window. If you're going to be cocky, taunt repeatedly, and teabag the whole time well... Expect the same treatment from me.

There's no point in me being respectful to someone like that. Sometimes they just need a taste of their own medicine.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
I'm whatever on taunting it rarely affects me. Teabagging looks stupid if it's not Kirby, G&W, Jigglypuff, and Dedede.

Last edited:

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
Sometimes I get mad, because latency makes me unsure if I would win in a local match.
But taunts? Teabagging? Those make people angry? I've seen far worse things in real life that haven't triggered me.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I am one myself and I like it.

Last edited:

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
Well, you were using Lil Mac. ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°

Anyways, I've posted this before, but I only play players once in For Glory, no matter if I win or lose. It pretty much stops anything that displays an inflate in ego before it's able to conjure over time, not including the stuff that may happen during that one game. Course, I'm not a fan of those types of people. You're only gonna make me mad if you come off as an "annoying tryhard", however, how does the Smash community these days even treat such a term?

Then again, who's more "tryhard", the guy getting cocky who starts to taunt and teabag, or the guy getting mad at it?

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Even though I hate playing against cocky, arrogant players who takes this **** way too seriously, they don't bother me one bit, though I will say teabagging does make them look like dumbasses. Usually when I encounter one of them, I would return the favor (minus the teabagging) by giving them the last laugh and the ass kicking of a lifetime.

Smash is meant to have fun, which is exactly what I do. This ain't WCW or WWE here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

You know, a few of us could even be considered cocky by particular standards, and not even mean to. Like I play Falcon, so naturally I taunt a lot. And I mean no disrespect by any of it, it's all just for fun. But when I'm playing against someone who changes their name to "U_Suck" or "*****" or something stupid, I do find that a little dumb. Hell, some people will lose 4/5 matches, and still change their name to something like that after they win just one match. It's sooo stupid.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
You know, a few of us could even be considered cocky by particular standards, and not even mean to. Like I play Falcon, so naturally I taunt a lot. And I mean no disrespect by any of it, it's all just for fun. But when I'm playing against someone who changes their name to "U_Suck" or "*****" or something stupid, I do find that a little dumb. Hell, some people will lose 4/5 matches, and still change their name to something like that after they win just one match. It's sooo stupid.
That's For Glory logics for ya. One of the many reasons why I rarely play it these days.

D

Deleted member 269706

That's For Glory logics for ya. One of the many reasons why I rarely play it these days.
Tbh a lot of the players are getting better, I'm starting to find some people with some actual skill. And the trash talk isn't really that often, a lot of players are really humble, so that's nice.

Morbi

Scavenger
I do not mind them at all, that is, in my experience, how fighting games used to be before the era of online gaming. It is just for fun, no reason to take them seriously. If it bothers you, do not lose! :laugh:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Fighting people like this is my favorite part of FG. The typical arrogant FG player usually just does predictable and flowchart tactics with some random top tier, once you shutdown their generic playstyle they will proceed to say "**** you" or "U SUCK" and leave instantly.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Tbh a lot of the players are getting better, I'm starting to find some people with some actual skill. And the trash talk isn't really that often, a lot of players are really humble, so that's nice.
Come to think of it, I haven't encountered any trash talkers recently. All I get is people who are close to the same skill as I am and who knows how to have fun. Hopefully, I might find some more of those more often in the future.

link2702

Smash Champion
anyone who gets too cocky is an ass pure and simple. Regardless of whether they're skilled or not.

a player who outplays his opponent just to mock him at the character select screen with names such as "u suck" "******" "loser" etc, is still an ass who needs to be perma-banned from online, regardless of how "skilled" they are.

This is why i wish there was a better report system for smash4. To let us report players even at the character select screen, or better yet, remove the ability to change your in-game name in random mode.

if you can't be a good sport, you don't deserve the privilege of playing online. taunts and annoying antics in the actual matches are one thing, but to start name calling and bashing at the select screen after you've beat someone is just pitiful.

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure. on one hand, yeah, it doesn't feel that great when someone is using the name system to trash talk. on the other, eeeeevery now and then, you get a light hearted banter going. I actually have a guy on my friends list who started off trash talking me when we were doing falcon dittos.

game 1, he bodied me. "GET REKT" was his tag.

following game, I 2 stocked him with less than 25% under my belt. "NO U" was my response.

this kept going back and forth for a while and we started laughing about it after game 4.

idk, I think that the majority of trash talk is actually just vitriolic children with daddy issues expressing their anger and there's nothing constructive about it. but I still like being able to throw a "gg" or "ur good" out there. or even some light hearted trash talking every once in a blue moon.

now, as for players that are obviously way more awful than me who **** talk? those guys are hilarious. I want them to stick around. they're the north korea of the smash community, and I will never get tired of them

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
You mean every Captain Falcon player ever? Block them and take a break, knowing that the next time I go to play smash I will have to face more of them (because apparently everyone plays that stupid character).

KnightofPizza

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LergiOfficial
I will admit that I've done this before, but only when I'm fighting someone with a dickish tag/playstyle, because if the salt isn't real, the game isn't real.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I have a 72% win rate, and I enjoy a good challenger. But I don't like to lose, so it gets on my nerves if I fight a cocky player that can sometimes get the better of me.

I like to play a good cocky player because it feels really good when I demolish them, which happens almost every time I meet one.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Yeah, cocky players are definitely annoying. Especially for players like me who don't want to use their best or 2nd best characters all the time. I like to pick some of my other characters and work on them. I don't need some jerk acting like their hot stuff when they beat a tertiary character.

A while back I had a few off-games against a player. Was plenty familiar with their tactics, but I was using Ganondorf (I believe I picked him right after playing another player with Sheik, possibly threw my game off unintentionally). Fell for some obvious ploys and make some considerable errors. And clearly the guy was intentionally not playing his best.

Decided to just hunker down and pick my main. As I'm doing that...

[UR BAD]
[LOL]
*leaves*

...And I reeeaallly shouldn't had let that get to me, well familiar with For Glory lamers, but I let it get to me. Should have stuck to my self-rule of immediately dropping out on players that use tags to demean other players. But I stayed around on the slight hope that he'd stay one more.

Nintendo definitely does need to expand the report system to catch people abusing the tag system.

...Admittedly I'm guilty of negative tags, but they only exist to counter other negative tags, consisting only of [SALTY?] or [U MAD ;) ]. Will never use 'em proactively.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Can't stand them.

For the most part I try to ignore it (or show no acknowledgement of it) but if the cocky player happens to be doing terribly compared to me and I defeat them? I'll give them a taste of their own medicine. They honestly only deserve it.

That being said, at the same time I'm somewhat fearful that giving them the same treatment might only encourage their behavior. Either that, or they'll get angry and tired enough that they'll slowly back out of it. I try to be as respectful of a player as I can be, even if I'm the kind of player who always tries his hardest to win a match. I won't act cocky about it, if the player taunts at the beginning I'll taunt in return. If I lose, I'll sometimes simply say "GG" (I know this may be viewed in a more negative way like an insult as well, but I only use it after losing, hoping that makes my message clear)

Who knows, these are people you meet online in a fighting game. It's not like we can easily control their behavior or attitudes either way, nor can we help them. If they want show off their ego, I'll gladly do whatever I can to tick them off in return, they have no one but themselves to blame for it.

D

Deleted member 189823

They're pretty annoying, and they tend to get the worst out of me. To contrast that, there are also a few honorable players. Like, sometimes they taunt when the match starts as a "salution", I think that's pretty cute. Then, they sometimes suicide if you happened to suicide on accident (I sometimes do this as well).

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If a player is confident on their skills, they don't need to taunt/teabag/provoke the opponent. Trying to belittle/throw other players off of they game only shows one's immaturity and the lack of self confidence in one's skills, in my opinion.
That is not For Glory's fault, but the fault of people who enjoy behaving like uneducated troglodytes.

1FC0

Smash Lord
If a player is confident on their skills, they don't need to taunt/teabag/provoke the opponent. Trying to belittle/throw other players off of they game only shows one's immaturity and the lack of self confidence in one's skills, in my opinion.
Actually your opinion is wrong. I used to taunt a lot when I was overconfident from grinding too many noobs.

If someone is confident then he does not need to play without taunts.

4MyFriends

Smash Cadet
To me it doesn't matter if they're good or not. I will NOT tolerate a immature cocky player online.

I immediately leave and seek a different player. They're not worth my time.

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
When I beat players and they change their tags to insults, I reply with a simple "salty?" and indulge in their rage lol, the salt of others nourishes me :evil:

Naklsonofnakkl

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaklsonofNakkl
Actually your opinion is wrong. I used to taunt a lot when I was overconfident from grinding too many noobs.

If someone is confident then he does not need to play without taunts.
Actually, you're wrong. People's opinions can't be wrong, given that they are opinions.

On the matter at hand, taunting is a fairly normal and okay thing to do. If someone uses it in an attempt to throw you off your game, it is probably best to learn to adapt to it. Taunting is something I have zoned out of, and rarely notice it unless it is at the end of the match. I tend to taunt myself if I won the match, but i rarely have time to do it while fighting since I am busy actually playing the game.
I think tea bagging is hilarious, only because it looks like the player is completely inept at using a controller. It also looks really great when I ram into them and knock 'em out. Basically, if your opponent has time to taunt and what not, you need to get better so you can interrupt them and give them the business.

D

Deleted member 269706

When I beat players and they change their tags to insults, I reply with a simple "salty?" and indulge in their rage lol, the salt of others nourishes me :evil:
I find it better to just start the next match without causing any trouble. No need to stir up trouble. Meaningless banter really isn't all that respectable IMO, it's just adding to the problem that we all seem to hate :/ But hey, if that's what you enjoy doing, keep on keeping on!

1FC0

Smash Lord
Actually, you're wrong. People's opinions can't be wrong, given that they are opinions.
Indeed, what he called his opinion actually was a stated fact. Although an incorrect one. I thought that it was so obvious that it cannot be an opinion if it is wrong that I would not need to point it out. In hinfsight I should have put opinion in quotes.

ThatEpicMudkip

Smash Rookie
NNID
ThatEpicMudkip
3DS FC
4124-5091-3596
Every time I encounter one of these people I body them the first 5 or so matches, they win 1 (I SD or let them win to see what they do) and they get extremely cocky. I've seen people change their name to "USUCK" or stuff like that, and I just body them again and then they change their name to something like "HCKR" and leave. Honestly, I wish these people wouldn't play online, but whatever, I guess. I love the people whom I can play with at an equal skill level and lose and win a few matches without us caring, because in the end we're having fun. And when I find someone like that, usually they change their name to "ggs" or "cya!" or "^-^". Any of these things make the community better. But that's just my opinion.

Kaneki164

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thawk164
3DS FC
5127-2247-5437
I dislike Lil Mac, especially a good one so I can relate to that feeling when fighting/winning a match with Lil Mac. However I do think taunting is okay depending on how much you use it, as I use it after every kill I get. However I do come across cocky players that change their tags to insults and proceed to teabag throughout the match and I wish they wouldn't play online, especially when I make you look bad after I beat you because then it look bad on the community.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
I find there to be nothing wrong with taunting after you know you won, however in between stocks it is disrespecting IMO. If they won good for them, if you can't beat them then just leave, nothing is stopping you from doing so.

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
I was already on tilt mode, yelling at the screen and I lost twice to this mediorce player today. After the match he said 'Rekt' and it made me flip out and take my disc out and bend the **** outta it, when I found out those discs don't break, I took a thumb tack to it and scratched it. So yea, just ordered another disc, total waste of money. I really need to work on my anger, I can't let FG jerks or this game get to me.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I find heavyweight fights are the best tbh.
Most respectful players

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
More often than I run into cocky players, I run into ones who leave immediately after a single win, which seems salty to me more than cocky. Though I play on 3DS, so there are no obnoxious tags.

However, I'll admit to sometimes BEING the cocky player, but if and only if the other person starts playing deliberately annoyingly when they're losing—like running away and refusing to approach for entire matches on end or rolling incessantly. Sometimes I'll just leave, but I don't feel bad getting a bit cocky on them to try to let them know that getting salty and playing like a jerk is only hurting themselves.

D

Deleted member 269706

I find heavyweight fights are the best tbh.
Most respectful players
Oddly enough this is usually very true (aside from a select group of DeDeDe players imo). But it's usually the Luigi and Ness players and other high tiers that are the most disrespectful in any situation.

BadLuckBrian

Smash Cadet
One time I had three amazing fights with somebody playing as Mewtwo. He won those three fights but all of them were very close. Then he started to change his name to stupid things like U mad?, Noob, Butthurt? And I got really frustrated because of his intentions to make me angry. We had fun games and some people like to ruin that by being a complete douchebag. I will never understand how these people think. When anonymous people think to act like how they really are.

Terrabell

Smash Cadet
A few times, i stay because I'm too stubborn to let them win, which ends up killing my win rate...

It's still worth it if i can manage to beat them though.

Top Bottom