• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your take on good cocky players on for glory.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Oddly enough this is usually very true (aside from a select group of DeDeDe players imo). But it's usually the Luigi and Ness players and other high tiers that are the most disrespectful in any situation.
Yoshi / Ness / Mario / Luigi i find have the worse fanbases..on FG

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
People in for glory seem to be getting a lot better but a lot of them also cockier, I don't really mind that much because I am not one for making assumptions so I just keep on playing. I also do those things myself just because is funny, if the other person gets so bothered by it they are free to block me or just leave. I don't particularly mind.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
You know you're fighting against those kinds of players if they happen to switch to :4ganondorf:, winning or losing

But DAMN does it feel so good to have a comeback when you actually manage to start adapting to their b.s.; it makes me care less about coming off as a salty guy who left just because he had a few wins

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
You know you're fighting against those kinds of players if they happen to switch to :4ganondorf:, winning or losing
Oi. Bruh. I genuinely like using Ganon. Please don't associate your salt with the other player's character choices.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Oi. Bruh. I genuinely like using Ganon. Please don't associate your salt with the other player's character choices.
As someone who mains both Bayonetta and King Dedede I agree with this and wish for the same.

Ever since I started using Bayonetta a lot more (especially starting with her on first match) I think I've been making players unintentionally salty when I switch to King Dedede. I didn't switch to a low tier to disrespect. I just happen to main a high and low tier. Please don't think of me as the salty, disrespecting scum that typically plays in For Glory because of that. I don't even taunt.

(Unless it is deserved/they ask for it, anyways. Otherwise I actually think I play nice with others).

Last edited:

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Most of these guys are just playing the game for fun. It's not like it's super damaging to the other players if they win once out of x number of times. Of course, after a while, if their play degenerates because of it, then it's time to leave.

The irony is that they're hurting themselves

Last edited:

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Here's the thing, it ruins the rep of people like you.

Most of the time people just switch to him for the **** of it just to get an edge on you whether they win or lose; Ganon mains sadly, are very rare and it's safe to say that For Glory has formed a massive stereotype out of him, hate to break it to you. :\

Most of the time it's mainly due to the "disrespect" memes going on around. The negative types of players don't seem to use Ganon just because 'they actually main him". It's more about "he's a disrespecting heavy hitter and I'll just use him to make you feel like ****".

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Honestly, I don't think there's a single reason to act cocky online at all. If we talk about FG in particular, the environment is actually kinda stale since there's basically no stage diversity and the fact that there's no real matchmaking as far as I know only serves to push that point further.

People are so quick to defend their ego in FG when FG barely means a damn thing in the bigger "How good are you at Smash?" picture. Not only that, but cocky players have made a habit of tarnishing certain characters and actions by turning them into jokes that only players trying to 'disrespect' play or do. You just end up with a scene where people feel justified to act like asses because "You play ___." or "You went for ___ too many times." or "You taunted once." and judging people on a non-competitive level for how they play a game (Good or bad.) is frankly just stupid.

You can be proud of yourself by all means, but there's a fine line between acting like a cocky degenerate and actually evaluating when something was good or not that a lot of people just can't see, and the second you inflate your ego is the same moment you're taking the game at what is effectively a non-competitive level too seriously.

(Oh, and for the record, if you are proud of something, one taunt will do, thanks... Kirby's on the spot walkdance is also acceptable because it's frankly adorable and you might not want to waste your copied ability. :V)
(Oh, and swapping between G&W's Up and Side Taunts is acceptable too, but shhh, don't tell people there are exceptions. Protect the sacred Bell Taunt combo.)

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Every time I encounter one of these people I body them the first 5 or so matches, they win 1 (I SD or let them win to see what they do) and they get extremely cocky. I've seen people change their name to "USUCK" or stuff like that, and I just body them again and then they change their name to something like "HCKR" and leave. Honestly, I wish these people wouldn't play online, but whatever, I guess. I love the people whom I can play with at an equal skill level and lose and win a few matches without us caring, because in the end we're having fun. And when I find someone like that, usually they change their name to "ggs" or "cya!" or "^-^". Any of these things make the community better. But that's just my opinion.
I agree with this 100%.

tipsyCalibrator

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack0vAllTrades
To avoid cocky players, I use the tag "I SUK". It serves 2 purposes, 1: it's a reversal of the common trash talker's favorite tag (U SUK) which implies that I'm not a trash talker to the other player, and 2: if the other player is a trash talker, it makes them always want to throw out a ****ty comeback (YES U DO is a common one), which lets me know they're a trash talker before the match even starts, giving me a chance to leave

The pre-match tag bait game is real

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
To avoid cocky players, I use the tag "I SUK". It serves 2 purposes, 1: it's a reversal of the common trash talker's favorite tag (U SUK) which implies that I'm not a trash talker to the other player, and 2: if the other player is a trash talker, it makes them always want to throw out a ****ty comeback (YES U DO is a common one), which lets me know they're a trash talker before the match even starts, giving me a chance to leave

New meta: Avoid Smash trash with self-deprecation tags.

Shame it doesn't work on 3DS. lol

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008

Yay, someone who ACTUALLY thinks like I do lol

Then again, all of us assume the negative a massive ton.

Ham-R

Smash Cadet
NNID
LetsGetHam-Rd
Yes

It's always fun to mess with estrogen-filled man-babies and watch them get mad at a videogame

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Yes

It's always fun to mess with estrogen-filled man-babies and watch them get mad at a videogame
lol, that I somewhat agree with; it's so hard to find good sportsmanship nowadays while even trying to improve, so it's best to waste others' time by sandbagging if they're just going taunt, teabag or do a Ganon/Charizard-switch all day long.

P.S. My condolences true-Ganon-mains

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
I generally leave after two or three matches if my opponent wasn't even close to winning. If it's close, I tend to stay. A little off topic, I guess, but I've dealt with some cocky players myself and at first they'd be doing really good against me, taunt at me when I died, whether I SD'd or got KO'd, and continue to do so. Eventually, with these people, I'd start to beat them to the point they stopped taunting, teabagging, etc. You can either stay around and take a beating and unnecessary insults, or you can try to beat them and make them respect you. Or you can just use them for good practice and try to ignore them.

Top Bottom