• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Secondary Characters - Assuming You Main Metaknight

JDegner790

Smash Rookie
I'm a little indecisive about who to use for a secondary. I main Metaknight, obviously, and I've tried Ike and Lucas as secondaries so far. But I'm interested in who the other Metaknight mainers use as secondaries, if they use a secondary at all. I have friends who play Snake and Zelda, both of which are kind of tough matchups for Metaknight, and I would like a second resort for those fights.

So, who's your secondary? Explain why you chose them to be so and, if you'd like, provide insight into character strategy for that character.

Thanks.

the Lexx

Smash Apprentice
I find Zelda's really easy for MK but maybe that's just me.

ROB is my secondary, I use Lucas/Ness at times. Unlike Meta Knight who's precise timing is destroyed by lag ROB can still function pretty decently, he also has a different playstyle which is useful depending on which person you're facing.

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
I've been faithful to Kirby since the original game. I sorrowfully abandoned him when Meta Knight came in, but he still has an honorary position as my second. Past that, I'm still experimenting around to see who works for me.

Shears

Smash Master
a good secondary would be snake seeing as hes probably the best character in the game or falco since hes an MK counter. but i second diddy and ROB.

phe-gnome

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3196-4792-6061
Secondaries: Toon Link and Lucario.

Your secondaries should almost always have a much different playing style than your main so you are covered in any situation. I sometimes do way better with my secondaries than with Meta Knight but nothing will ever override the cool factor that is...Meta Knight. Therefore he will always be my main even if I get awesome with someone else.

DragnSlayr

Smash Apprentice
Well Since I mained Marth in Melee I tried to at least maintain his position as my back up character, but I've been working too much with Sonic, Lucario, and Toon Link.

I decided to pick up Toon Link after having the game for 2 weeks and my gameplay has really improved with him, so currently he is my next main (or I suppose 'Back up' character), and the last 3 are my secondaries.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
MetaKnight is my main, of course, which is because he's my favorite character, the reason I bought the game and he fits into my aggressive play style. I use Pit as my back up, because he can be played exactly like MetaKnight with the same combos and everything. The only difference between the two, however, is that Pit can not be camped. I can be super aggressive with him and stay in peoples' faces all day long with Pit.

Hose A

Smash Cadet
I'm a little foggy on my main. I love ZSS, but I also love the way MK handles. I love playing with speedy characters, hence why I also play TL and Marth. I like to mess around with Lucas as well because I love the psychic thing about him.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Well of course, my number one main is Meta Knight. I have two secondaries (secondary and thirdary? they're about even I'd say...) I'm not an expert with my secondaries, Im only an expert with my main ^_^ but I'll try to give advice on their strategies as best I can, but if you need more information, I suggest visiting their own character threads.

Marth
I mained him for his playstyle and his coolness (the tiara almost kills his coolness but whatever). He was also my secondary in Melee. Good approaches with Marth is the same as Melee, jump fair fair (wall of pain). Marth can also chaingrab certain characters very well (falco). His side B is much faster than Melee and the final slash when pointed up has a lot of knockback. His nuetral B MURDERS shields. When charged properly, it can also be used as a good recovery (if you're high enough away from the stage). His up B is also good as a kill move if the situation demands, but I find his fsmash my most common way of killing. Marth's dair is a meteor smash which is always nice to have (I wish Meta Knight had one but that might be a a little overpowered). Marth has no lag when landing after his fair and a lot of lag for his dair, so keep this in mind will fighting (short hop, fair fair, land, fsmash, niiice...).

ROB
I mained ROB for his unique playstyle and because I just love that robot ^_^ His spot dodge is very useful to attack or grab out of. His nair is just a great move altogether, large range covering all sides and it's pretty strong. Uair and bair are also quick and powerful. Down B is useful to limit the movements of your opponent and nuetral B is good for a quick attack to rack up some percentage from far away or to knock your opponent even farther away from the stage when they're already off. Nuetral B and down B can also be used to get your opponent away from the ledge when you're trying to get back and for spacing. I don't really side B at all...Up B is great because it's a recovery move that goes very far, but once you start it, the only thing you'll be able to do is a normal air attack; you can't airdodge or do anything else until you get hit or land on the ground (or grab the edge). ROB is a great character for gimping, like Meta Knight; follow your opponent off the edge, knock them farther, and get back. And like Marth's dair, ROB's dair is a meteor smash (or spike, I dunno).

Hope this helps ^_^

GodotAA

Smash Ace
Main: Metaknight

Tourney secondaries: Im trying to get a nice falco and marth going to help fight chatracters mk may have troubles against.

Fun secondaries: Ness

LG7

Smash Apprentice
Main Meta Knight.

I secondary Snake, because I wanted to learn his playstyle so I can kinda know what to do when playing a snake.
and Samus... Just for the hell of it.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Also, I feel its important to the OP to say that, while I play as Marth and ROB as secondaries, I havent used them in any tourney matches yet (still thinking about whether I should counter with these characters or stick with MK all the way).

Dojo

Smash Champion
Good projectiles throwers with a strong defensive game will be a good compliment. I'm currently working up my falco and snake and it seems to be going good. MK really has trouble with heavier stronger characters like snakes, marths, and even a good D3. Playing a strong defensive spamming game to compliment MK's offensive front should work fine.

JDegner790

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the input, guys. I really appreciate it. Right now I think I'm probably narrowing the choices down to ROB and Marth. ROB may be the better choice, simply because he's got projectiles with good strength, is fairly heavy, and proves to be trouble for people due to his quirky playstyle. But Marth will remain an option.

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
technically i second Ike, but i do much better with my third, Falco.
i like Ike because when i was still noobing it up getting used to brawl and so were my friends, i could dominate with him. but i do better with falco because of his lazers

Rawrness

Smash Journeyman
Secondary (sometimes main): Toon link- Fun to play with and has projectiles unlike MK and can
combo with Bairs.
Other favorites: G+W, Snake, Marth
G+W- annoying and shield pressure
Snake- Fun, mortar slides :)
Marth- Fun and SH->Fair->Fair

RangeOverMatter

Smash Rookie
Well, I main Meta Knight. But I have SERIOUSLY been considering using Capt. Falcon as my sub.
Why? Well let me explain...He is fun to play, lol. Especially when someone is winning against you, and SOMEHOW you make a come back and knee them through the kill zones into a new area of brutality not shown on screen...Ya, it is a feeling of relief. Reason why I am thinking of subbing Capt. Falcon :)

-RoM

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the input, guys. I really appreciate it. Right now I think I'm probably narrowing the choices down to ROB and Marth. ROB may be the better choice, simply because he's got projectiles with good strength, is fairly heavy, and proves to be trouble for people due to his quirky playstyle. But Marth will remain an option.
Marth and ROB? yay, and it's all because of my advice on the first page lol

metaknightroy06

Smash Rookie
I'm a little indecisive about who to use for a secondary. I main Metaknight, obviously, and I've tried Ike and Lucas as secondaries so far. But I'm interested in who the other Metaknight mainers use as secondaries, if they use a secondary at all. I have friends who play Snake and Zelda, both of which are kind of tough matchups for Metaknight, and I would like a second resort for those fights.

So, who's your secondary? Explain why you chose them to be so and, if you'd like, provide insight into character strategy for that character.

Thanks.
Good to see another MetaKnight user. Anywho, to answer your question, Sonic is my secondary character, followed by marth(orginally my main in SSBM), ike, snake, toon link. but yeah, sonic's my second best. no third, yet.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Good to see another MetaKnight user. Anywho, to answer your question, Sonic is my secondary character, followed by marth(orginally my main in SSBM), ike, snake, toon link. but yeah, sonic's my second best. no third, yet.
We all main MK, you're in the Meta Knight discussion thread lol

Zorio

Smash Rookie
My secondary is Ike, simply because he's fun to play. Obviously, he is an extreme departure from MK's playstyle but he was my main for a while and I can make do with his somewhat limited abilities. If I'm playing casually with my buddies (who aren't as good) it can act as a handicap and level the playing field at least a bit - that is, if they can actually avoid Fsmash. = p

M@v

Subarashii!
Fox. I main MK and fox evenly. It lets me really mix things up, since Im good with both of them. As for now, luigi is my secondary. Im trying to practice with him so I can main him as well.

Tomanator33

Smash Apprentice
Secondary: Fox, I still like him a lot even though I feel he is just not as good as his melee counterpart. He is a fun charater to play as and he has a big space ship and fighters :)

Others: Dedede, Marth, and Diddy

Top Bottom