• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your DB struck shield? Don't give up!

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I've been seeing this so much, both in my games and in others' videos. It seems that once most Marth's have their DB's shielded, they don't even try to mindgame their opponent in an attempt to escape the situation unharmed. 90% of the time what I see is the Marth simply continuing the DB with a standard SDB chain, and end up getting punished. This doesn't have to happen! Or at the very least, you can do some good damage to your opponents shield. Allow me to explain:

Depending on how close you are to your opponent, how far into the DB combo you are, and any past decisions you've made in the same position, there are a lot of ways to possibly avoid taking damage after your opponent shields your DB.

To start, I highly reccomend against stopping after the first hit. In this situation, you may as well get the guaranteed damage to their shield. Also, to do more damage to their shield; occasionally try making a slight pause between each hit so that the shield can be reduced on its own in addition to the damage it takes from your attacks. This is, of course a bad idea if you are fighting an opponent who can strike mid combo unless done quickly. Do not overuse this, as it will reduce the effect of some of the potential escape mindgames that I will discuss.

Now, lets assume you are in the midst of a perfectly spaced DB that was shielded. The smartest way to escape would be to end the combo after DDB3. Ending the combo this way allows you to take a step back, thus creating more distance between you and your opponent making it more difficult for you to be punished. Another option would be to make a slight puase after the DDB3, and finish with DDB4. When your opponent sees this pause, they may attempt to punish because they think the combo is over, and you can then finish with DDB4 and deal some damage while staying safe. Make sure you use DDB4 rather than SDB4, so that if the opponent decides to spot dodge the 4th hit they will still receive damage. If your opponent doesn't fall for your momentary pause, DDB4 is the most likely poke through their shield or break it as it does the most damage to their shield and attacks the lowest.

If you started the DB at a closer distance, the back step won't do much to help you. But fear not, there are other options that are just as effective here. One of the most effective mindgames with DB is make a momentary pause following the UDB2. From my experience, once your opponent sees a pause at this stage they usually think that you messed up the DB combo, and that you are wide open. Once they drop their shield you can continue with SDB or UDB. If they shield this, your best option would be to apply as much pressure as possible using DDB.

The key to escaping these situations unharmed is to MIX UP YOUR CHOICES. Unless you make an effort really mix up your DB options, you are going to get predictable, and your opponent will not fall for your mindgames. Also please note that none of these situations guarantee your safety, but they are what I believe to be the most likely ways to get you out of this sticky predicament.

And yes, I made the "DB Naming System" topic after realizing that this would be too **** hard to write without it.

Anyways, thanks for reading and feel free to leave any suggestions or comments.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Man your pushing it today, gj!

But as a Marth, you must leanr your options to escape, chainning might not work, rolling backwards may get you punish.

The best thing to do is stop the DB, and find your best option out of there. Defintitely mix it up, lightning doesn't really strike twice.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Good read and good use of the naming system. If you do a slow dancing blade, remember that some chars like Falco and Lucario can roll away. Also some good spot dodges like Dedede's can dodge the entire DDB4.

Like you said, mixing it up is the best situation.

Also note: You said that stopping after SDB1 is bad, however its not always. If you condition your opponent to they roll after every slow DB, you can simply do the first hit and tip a reverse fsmash...win :laugh:

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Thanks for the comments :)

I've never thought of using that method ZMT, I'll try it out and add it in there once I test it :)

thanks!

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Also note: You said that stopping after SDB1 is bad, however its not always. If you condition your opponent to they roll after every slow DB, you can simply do the first hit and tip a reverse fsmash...win :laugh:
Haha, I nailed this for the first time today. It was epic, thanks zmt.

cman

Smash Ace
I approve of the db naming system. I'll start using it. Also, good thread.

Which of the strikes has the least ending lag? Anyone have some numbers on it?

Top Bottom