• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link for Smash Switch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

link-a-link

Smash Cadet
NNID
Linkaden
Once a Smasher, always a Smasher is what I always say. I'm cool with the return of :younglinkmelee: but just one change I'd make to him is his down aerial. Y'all know how :4link:'s d-air can now spike as it comes out? Make YL's do the exact same thing.
The youngin could spike with down b in melee. Had to be sweetspoted but it was there, fire effect included

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Just finished Majora's Mask earlier today and it's now one of my favorite games. Love the overall atmosphere and characters... it was pretty heartbreaking and bittersweet at times. Never paid much attention to Y.Link in Melee but I'm definitely going to use him more. =)

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Majoras Mask is definitely a dark game, for sure. Definitely made you feel like you had to be on your toes. Still, my favorite Twilight Princess. BotW is up there too, but TP probably edges it out in my opinion.

D

Deleted member

Hey all, never been to this thread before but I'm happy Young Link is back along with everyone else. :)

I reeeeaaaaally hope his Final Smash is Fierce Deity Link. Sometimes Sakurai makes questionable design decisions and I it has always bothered me, and still does now, that Young Link in Smash Bros. is based on his Ocarina of Time look, when it would make 200 times more sense to base him on his Majora's Mask appearance. I mean, his stage is based on Majora's Mask and the only time Young Link uses a hookshot is in that game too. I was really hoping he'd have an updated design with the Hero's Shield and all but NOPE. Sakurai being silly again

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
All this talk about making him look like he was in Majoras Mask... I'm not sure what the difference is tbh. He looks the same from OoT to MM.

Rizen

Smash Legend
All this talk about making him look like he was in Majoras Mask... I'm not sure what the difference is tbh. He looks the same from OoT to MM.
He has a metal shield in MM.
The razor sword would have been cool too.

edit, why isn't the image showing? This site's been messing up a lot lately.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Razor/Gilded sword
Hero's/Mirror Shield
Gilded Hookshot
No boomerang
Use of Masks
Acrobatic flips
Tatl instead of Navi as a fairy guide
Drinks Chateau Romani instead of Lon Lon Milk

At that point, Young Link's become his own character with his experience as an adult. And Hell, when he grows up, he becomes the Hero's Shade so they could've drawn some moves from him as well.
But instead we just get an OoT beginner Link because Smash wants that Melee nostalgia.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I think a big reason why Sakurai didn't change Young Link's moveset too much is because the new Link has so much changes. My best friend has been maining Link since day 1 and he told me how he was saddened that Link was so much different (no more tether, new grab, new bombs, overall design, etc). Young Link preserves a lot of classic Link's moveset and I really do feel like he was a big factor why he was so open to change classic Link so much.

D

Deleted member

I think a big reason why Sakurai didn't change Young Link's moveset too much is because the new Link has so much changes. My best friend has been maining Link since day 1 and he told me how he was saddened that Link was so much different (no more tether, new grab, new bombs, overall design, etc). Young Link preserves a lot of classic Link's moveset and I really do feel like he was a big factor why he was so open to change classic Link so much.
Yeah that's fine, he does kind of preserve Link as he was (left-handed and everything); I just wanted the aesthetic to be updated to Majora's Mask. Specifically the unique Hero's Shield from that game, any of the swords from that game, and the gilded hookshot which is the only hookshot Young Link ever used:

To cap it off, it would be great to have a taunt or two showcase some masks (like putting on the Keaton Mask as Hyrule Warriors does it), and use Fierce Deity as the Final Smash. In general, Majora's Mask Young Link is more fleshed out than he was in OoT and since Great Bay is from MM, it really would have been a better fit to update his design. Oh! And the Fire Arrows that Young Link uses were only possible in Majora's Mask as well! Ike and Roy and so many other characters have been updated, so....I was hoping Young Link would get the same treatment but oh well. Maybe next time.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So according to Smash Wiki
"He is much more expressive. Like Diddy Kong, his hat is also "looser" on his head and pops off during certain animations, such as his down air."
Does anyone have a picture of this. Because I don't think he's ever actually been seen without his hat on before.

And on a different note, he smirks after drinking his milk

View attachment 150851

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So according to Smash Wiki
"He is much more expressive. Like Diddy Kong, his hat is also "looser" on his head and pops off during certain animations, such as his down air."
Does anyone have a picture of this. Because I don't think he's ever actually been seen without his hat on before.

And on a different note, he smirks after drinking his milk

View attachment 150851
https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/fighter/young_link/ss_1.jpg

HIs hair, uh, looks weird underneath. Unfinished maybe? Don't think we've ever seen this Link take his hat off.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah that's fine, he does kind of preserve Link as he was (left-handed and everything); I just wanted the aesthetic to be updated to Majora's Mask. Specifically the unique Hero's Shield from that game, any of the swords from that game, and the gilded hookshot which is the only hookshot Young Link ever used:

To cap it off, it would be great to have a taunt or two showcase some masks (like putting on the Keaton Mask as Hyrule Warriors does it), and use Fierce Deity as the Final Smash. In general, Majora's Mask Young Link is more fleshed out than he was in OoT and since Great Bay is from MM, it really would have been a better fit to update his design. Oh! And the Fire Arrows that Young Link uses were only possible in Majora's Mask as well! Ike and Roy and so many other characters have been updated, so....I was hoping Young Link would get the same treatment but oh well. Maybe next time.
I think we've only seen two of his taunts, so who knows?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Actually we've seen all three

The bottle
Navi
Faces the screen and raises his sword up

D

Deleted member

With BotW Link being changed up a bit, I like that Young Link is kinda the classic Link, albeit a little shorter.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
With BotW Link being changed up a bit, I like that Young Link is kinda the classic Link, albeit a little shorter.
If he retains his greater speed, jump height and fastfalls anything like adult Link, Young Link could easily be the most aggressive Link to date.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If he retains his greater speed, jump height and fastfalls anything like adult Link, Young Link could easily be the most aggressive Link to date.
Aggressiveness won't mean much if he's still got bad frame data, an over-reliance on projectiles, and mediocre disjoints.

Rizen

Smash Legend
On the trailer video YL comboed bomb into Fsmash; Link couldn't do that in SSB4 because the angle of bomb launches. I wonder how YL's bombs work; they might be incredible combo starters. He also Uthrowed into Usmash into aerial upB. I doubt the last part's a combo but Uthrow would probably lead to Nair/Uair combos at higher %s, if true.

I think YL will be a zoner with frame data close to Link's but maybe a frame faster, like how TL's jab is f6 in SSB4 vs Link's f7 jab. Having Zair is a huge boon when facing swordies like Marth. If YL keeps Link's incredible landing game (TL lacks) he could have a very streamlined chain/combo game once he gets started. Fair 1 (if it works like Link's in SSBU with no knockback)> kill move like Fsmash. Bair 1>turn around jab, etc. Nair/Zair>DA. I wonder if YL's DA is a kill move or more like TL's?

A big reason I never played TL was his floatiness. I don't like floaties. But a TL, more mobile and slightly faster, with Link's gravity (YL) could be a very good character.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So long as Young Link has his Dtilt spike, Nair and dash attack that kill and (most importantly) his Fire Spike, I will happy

:135:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Dtilt spikes were good in Melee but have sucked in Brawl and SSB4 due to ledge snaps. It might make a comeback in SSBU. Or not.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
On the trailer video YL comboed bomb into Fsmash; Link couldn't do that in SSB4 because the angle of bomb launches. I wonder how YL's bombs work; they might be incredible combo starters. He also Uthrowed into Usmash into aerial upB. I doubt the last part's a combo but Uthrow would probably lead to Nair/Uair combos at higher %s, if true.

I think YL will be a zoner with frame data close to Link's but maybe a frame faster, like how TL's jab is f6 in SSB4 vs Link's f7 jab. Having Zair is a huge boon when facing swordies like Marth. If YL keeps Link's incredible landing game (TL lacks) he could have a very streamlined chain/combo game once he gets started. Fair 1 (if it works like Link's in SSBU with no knockback)> kill move like Fsmash. Bair 1>turn around jab, etc. Nair/Zair>DA. I wonder if YL's DA is a kill move or more like TL's?

A big reason I never played TL was his floatiness. I don't like floaties. But a TL, more mobile and slightly faster, with Link's gravity (YL) could be a very good character.
The bomb appears to have low knockback at the Sakurai angle. It's probably safe to assume the Dedede (who, to be honest, is the ultimate combo punching bag) in the footage was at a low percentage. And this was just a standard toss, not an aerial down throw or z-drop which would probably be easier to combo from. If glide tossing is also in the game like I heard...

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
This is a question I have waited to ask. Why does Young Link have the ability to wall jump? I get that for all the characters that have one, it is not based on their games, but why does that mean Young and Toon Link can do it, but Link cannot? This always confused me, but any answers would be nice.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This is a question I have waited to ask. Why does Young Link have the ability to wall jump? I get that for all the characters that have one, it is not based on their games, but why does that mean Young and Toon Link can do it, but Link cannot? This always confused me, but any answers would be nice.
They needed a random excuse for Young Link to be chosen.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The general thematic with Young Link is that he's faster and more nimble than Adult Link so it probably ties in with that.

Plus in Majora's Mask, he's shown to be quite acrobatic with his jumps

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
I believe the idea behind it originally was that Old link supposedly was weighed down by the equipment, and the younger link was more agile, thus being punctuated by the wall jump. It could also have been included to break the cloning a bit more (honestly probably the more likely answer).

Rizen

Smash Legend
7 year olds eat a lot of sugar and bounce off the walls. He'll crash and have to take a nap soon.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
7 year olds eat a lot of sugar and bounce off the walls. He'll crash and have to take a nap soon.
I say it's from all of that Chateau Romani he drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom