• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link for Smash Switch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Can somebody summarize the differences we've seen so far between his melee incarnation, Toon Link, and his current incarnation??? That flurry is a new move, isn't it??? He was a character I enjoyed playing as in Melee, but it's been so long, I honestly don't remember.
No I believe he had the flurry in melee as well. He seems very similar to what he was in Melee. I think he'll be a middle weight, falling somewhere between Link and Tink. Less floaty than Tink but perhaps more mobile than Link.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Been growing soft spot for him during these past years so I'm really happy for Young Link's return!

I really hope we see Fierce Deity Link as his FS, even if we already have that as a costume for BOTW Link so far.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
No I believe he had the flurry in melee as well. He seems very similar to what he was in Melee. I think he'll be a middle weight, falling somewhere between Link and Tink. Less floaty than Tink but perhaps more mobile than Link.
Which sounds like exactly what I'd want. I've never really liked that Link counted as a heavy character, but Toon was always way too floaty for me.

And honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the remote bombs in concept. I may drop regular Link for Young Link in this one.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
It looks like his multi hit bombs are gone which is kind of a bummer but tbh I'm still pretty hyped.

I'm definitely going to be playing both him and toon link

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Which sounds like exactly what I'd want. I've never really liked that Link counted as a heavy character, but Toon was always way too floaty for me.

And honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the remote bombs in concept. I may drop regular Link for Young Link in this one.
Yeah I've been watching some videos and Link isn't looking very good right now. I'm starting to consider his bombs to be a nerf but I'm still trying to be optimistic. I'm hoping Link at least does better in cqc now.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
So happy he's back, would have preferred to have his Majora's Mask equipment since Ganondorf already represents OoT in Ultimate, but i can't complain since he's back after so long, now i'm just remembering certain image made on the Smash4 speculation days that he was never going to be back... lol.
All we have to see now is if his Final Smash is Fierce Deity.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Congrats Young Link mains! After 17 years, you guys got your dude back! It must've been a long wait but its so cool to see all the lost mains come back. (I'm a brawl Wolf player who had to retire him in Smash 4).

Enjoy your victory guys! You and the Pichu guys especially.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
So we haven’t seen his final smash yet? There’s still hope it could be based on Majora’s mask then :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Congrats Young Link mains! After 17 years,
I feel old.

I might end up co-maining YL and Wolf.
The multi hit bombs would have been great vs Ryu. I hope bombs work like in ssb4 and don't hurt YL if they directly hit the opponent.

ottobot

Smash Cadet
Young Link vs Toon Link differences that i've noticed:
Toon Link is shorter, mainly shorter legs (which may impact hitboxes) and seems to be floatier. Young Link will most likely be between Link and Toon Link's weight and fall speed.
Young Link has Link's classic throws, as opposed to Toon Link's decloned throws.
Young Link has a multi hit jab, while Toon Link does not.
Young Link has Link's smash attacks, while Toon Link seems to be getting at least Fsmash decloned.
Young Link's Nair is a clone of Link's kick, while Toon Link uses his sword.
Young Link has fire arrows, which presumably do residual damage as with most fire attacks, while Toon Link does not. Also, in Melee, Young Link's arrows flew a shorter distance than Link's, while Toon Link lacks this trait.
This is pure speculation, as i cant find any footage of Young Link's dash attack, but i wouldnt be surprised if he gets his dash attack updated to match Link's from Sm4sh, while Toon Link sticks with the classic dash attack that he's always had.
Most importantly: Young Link has his Lon Lon Milk taunt, while Toon Link does not, so Young Link automatically goes up at least 3 tiers over Toon Link.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man, wouldn't it be cool if we had a stage like Termina's Clock Tower on the final day?
Imagine the moon getting closer and closer from the background until right before it hits, you hear the song of time play and the stage resets to how it was in the beginning.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I'm probably going to either main Young Link or have him as a secondary to Link. Breath of the Wild is my favorite Zelda game of all time, but before, it was Majora's Mask, and of course, I mained him in Melee. We'll just have to see how he does this time around.
I'm curious about these MUs:
:younglinkmelee: vs. :link2: (BoTW, obviously)
:younglinkmelee: vs. :ganondorfmelee:
:younglinkmelee: vs. :snake:
They'll be interesting to see with the new SSBU mechanics.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing I'm wondering if Young Link or Toon Link will be heavier.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
One thing I'm wondering if Young Link or Toon Link will be heavier.
Interestingly, drawing from SSBWiki's weight tier list, In Melee, Young Link's weight value is 85, making him lighter than Peach and Zelda. In Brawl/Sm4sh, Toon Link's weight value is 92/93 respectively, making him heavier than Peach and Zelda. If we just pulled Ylink and Tink's weight values and threw them into SSBU, Tink would actually be heavier than Ylink.

Obviously, we don't know if that will actually be the case since a few characters have had their weight values changed throughout the games (as you can see in the weight tier list). I think it would make more sense for Ylink to be heavier than Tink since Ylink isn't as floaty in Melee as Tink is in Brawl/Sm4sh relatively speaking.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Ideas for Young Link in this game:
  • Fierce Diety Final Smash
  • One of his taunts is pulling out his Ocarina. Until you cancel it with a directional input, pressing different buttons will play different notes
  • Different costumes involve him wearing different masks from Majora's mask (Keaton mask, Gibdo mask, etc.)
  • Dash attack is the roll from OOT/MM

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I think we already know his three taunts: drink milk, summon Navi, and celebrate with sword overhead.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Well, it didn't count in previous games. What makes you think it will now?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Smash's hardline stance seems to be effects tied to physical objects =/= non-physical objects.

Besides, it's not like you'll get much out of a Young Link Arrow to begin with anyway.

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
And G&W's bucket too.
Well, it didn't count in previous games. What makes you think it will now?
Have the projectiles the bucket can absorb remained consistent since Melee?? If so, I'd say probably doesn't count for bucket or PSI Magnet. Of course, maybe YL will be the exception; they could still change it. REMEMBER: this is the first time we've seen him since Melee. Sakurai might've decided since then that Fire Arrow is absorb-worthy.

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Smash's hardline stance seems to be effects tied to physical objects =/= non-physical objects.

Besides, it's not like you'll get much out of a Young Link Arrow to begin with anyway.
Bombs still count, though. That makes it a little confusing.

D

Deleted member

I full on expected him never to return, since Toon Link was in some way a "Young Link" by his own margin, but I welcome our young wannabe-Kokiri back to the roster.
I actually played Young Link more than Link in Melee, and seeing how he's essentially the Melee design but modern graffixx it pops a few nostalgia pods on my sweaty forehead.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I only just now noticed that this thread is an old thread spreading hope for Young Link to be announced in a future game.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
You see the Ridley one yet?
Haha looking at it now. The Ridley movement was most certainly an unstoppable force. Sakurai tried to be the immovable object but caved several games later. XD

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Haha looking at it now. The Ridley movement was most certainly an unstoppable force. Sakurai tried to be the immovable object but caved several games later. XD
Lmao honestly, I didn't even care to have Ridley in game and even I was excited for the official announcement.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I would assume you all know about airdodging's effects on tether recoveries. When using an airdodge apparently, characters cannot use their tether recovery afterwards. In addition, the amount of time it takes to getup is the same as regular recoveries. To sum this up: be careful with how you recover. You guys should be fine. John Numbers claimed this, just so you know.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I just realized Link's sword is longer than Young Link's by a considerable margin, so Link can outspace us in CQC situations if we're not careful. Then again, we have a hookshot, bombs that don't hurt us, and we're faster overall, so... I think the MU will be a :younglinkmelee:60/40:4link: unless our frame data is worse than Link's.
What do you guys think of the MU?

D

Deleted member

I just realized Link's sword is longer than Young Link's by a considerable margin, so Link can outspace us in CQC situations if we're not careful. Then again, we have a hookshot, bombs that don't hurt us, and we're faster overall, so... I think the MU will be a :younglinkmelee:60/40:4link: unless our frame data is worse than Link's.
What do you guys think of the MU?
Honestly, Link's ability to outspace YL and TL may be the the only thing he has on them besides like weight. But, I don't all in all think they're that much different. YL and TL will probably be a bit better because this game will no doubt compliment the agile. I think 60/40 YL is a fair guess. But we really don't know much about it at this point.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Honestly, Link's ability to outspace YL and TL may be the the only thing he has on them besides like weight. But, I don't all in all think they're that much different. YL and TL will probably be a bit better because this game will no doubt compliment the agile. I think 60/40 YL is a fair guess. But we really don't know much about it at this point.
Now that I think about it, I'm also curious about which one of these Links will end up faring better against the cast. We don't know how YLink and Tink will be balanced, but I've always preferred YLink's aerials over Tink's. I'm hoping his aerials (along with his hookshot and his Lon Lon Milk) will be what make him the most viable Zelda character to use.

D

Deleted member

Now that I think about it, I'm also curious about which one of these Links will end up faring better against the cast. We don't know how YLink and Tink will be balanced, but I've always preferred YLink's aerials over Tink's. I'm hoping his aerials (along with his hookshot and his Lon Lon Milk) will be what make him the most viable Zelda character to use.
Lon Lon Milk already makes him god tier Kappa

Nah but honestly, I'm just hoping my dude YL is viable. He doesn't have to be the best but GIVE US SOMETHING TO WORK WITH. Pls Daddy Sakurai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom