• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link for Smash Switch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
YES; I WAS H-O-P-I-N-G He would be Back;

There's only one thing that would make his Inclusion EVEN Better:

Having his Fierce Deity Transformation from Majora's Mask be his Final Smash; Having it work like MOST of the Other Transformations in SSBU(Super Smash Bros Ultimate) are gonna be in this game; with NO Regular Moves.
My guess is it will be Link's old Final Smash. However, could it be Fierce Deity? :p
I Sure Hope it IS Fierce Diety, ZealousGamer, Because That would make Young Link's Inclusion; even BETTER than it already is!!

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Sakurai never ceases to surprise me--and that is no easy feat. I never thought he would bring back EVERY past character. I look forward to seeing how Young Link plays in Smash Ultimate.

And I have to agree about Fierce Diety being his Final Smash. If memory serves me, he could shoot beams from his sword in Majora's Mask, so they could incorporate that.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Young Link returns and unfortunately it isn't his Majora's Mask/Hyrule Warriors incarnation and is a clone of classic Link.
Ah well, you take what you can get with Sakurai and moveset changes I suppose.

I would've at least appreciated if he equipped his Majora's Mask mirror shield and razor sword though.

For his Final Smash, if they intend to keep Tri-Force Slash, at the very least, let him transform into Fierce Deity while doing so.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
That is true. You never know as Zelda has the Phantom Armor still.

Edit: I'm refering to the Fierce Deity as a Final Smash.

I'd love it if maybe Young Link were to get an updated costume at some point. Even if it were after launch. You never know.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It truly is a glorious day.
No new moveset? Don't care. It's been too long since I've played the little dude. I feel like a kid in a candy shop. Sakurai is a MAD MAN. I love Young Link so much because my favorite game is Majora's Mask. That's why Toon Link never really felt the same. Gonna have to do another MM play through asap. Time to rejoice my Brother's and Sister's.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I’m seriously interested in what makes him unique. I mained Young Link in Melee but I just assumed he was gone for good, replaced by Toon Link. Obviously that’s out the window, but I’m really surprised he’s not classified as an echo fighter.

Not complaining though, I’m sure I’ll pick him up for a bit. It’s good to have the Hero of Time back again!

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Yooooooooo

We back, boys. Young Link shall reign supreme.

D

Deleted member

I’m seriously interested in what makes him unique. I mained Young Link in Brawl but I just assumed he was gone for good, replaced by Toon Link. Obviously that’s out the window, but I’m really surprised he’s not classified as an echo fighter.

Not complaining though, I’m sure I’ll pick him up for a bit. It’s good to have the Hero of Time back again!
The true beauty of the situation is that he's not listed as an Echo fighter. Which leads me to believe the hype train should roll. Hard.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I’m seriously interested in what makes him unique. I mained Young Link in Brawl but I just assumed he was gone for good, replaced by Toon Link. Obviously that’s out the window, but I’m really surprised he’s not classified as an echo fighter.

What makes him unique at this point is that he still shares Classic Link's bomb mechanics I guess. Also, echo fighters seem to share the exact same passive properties with slight variations on moves while clones also change the passive characteristics like weight, speed, hitbox, etc.

In short, all echos are clones, but not all clones are echos. So he's still unoriginal, but he's not identical.

Last edited:

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
So seeing how Y.Link and Toon Link played really similar, can someone who went to the invitational give me the lowdown if it's Y.Link or Toon Link who has changed? 'cause they don't classify them as Echo Fighters...

D

Deleted member

So seeing how Y.Link and Toon Link played really similar, can someone who went to the invitational give me the lowdown if it's Y.Link or Toon Link who has changed? 'cause they don't classify them as Echo Fighters...
As far as I know neither were available on the E3 version roster. So that's more of a 'wait and see' question.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Echo fighters seem to share the exact same passive properties with slight variations on moves while clones also change the passive characteristics like weight, speed, hitbox, etc.

By virtue of YLink and TLink having different weights, sizes, animations, etc from normal Link they are not echoes, but are still clones.

From what I can gather, YLink shares all his traits with old Link except for the fact he's smaller, has a shorter range, lighter, etc.
TLink on the other hand seems like he has some new stuff maybe. I saw at the very least a new FSmash.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
Echo fighters seem to share the exact same passive properties with slight variations on moves while clones also change the passive characteristics like weight, speed, hitbox, etc.

By virtue of YLink and TLink having different weights, sizes, animations, etc from normal Link they are not echoes, but are still clones.

From what I can gather, YLink shares all his traits with old Link except for the fact he's smaller, has a shorter range, lighter, etc.
TLink on the other hand seems like he has some new stuff maybe. I saw at the very least a new FSmash.
So unless you're a competitive player, they aren't different in any of the ways that matter. Bleh. There goes my hopes for a Y.Link with a transformation mechanic. :(

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So unless you're a competitive player, they aren't different in any of the ways that matter. Bleh. There goes my hopes for a Y.Link with a transformation mechanic. :(
Well, when your end goal is I WANT EVERYTHING OLD, BACK you're going to have to let some things rest as they are.
It's a shame, but at the very least he exists again after 17 years.

I'll just play Hyrule Warriors if I want a badass Majora's Mask Link, I guess.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
Well, when your end goal is I WANT EVERYTHING OLD, BACK you're going to have to let some things rest as they are.
It's a shame, but at the very least he exists again after 17 years.

I'll just play Hyrule Warriors if I want a badass Majora's Mask Link, I guess.
True dat. Young Link in Hyrule Warriors is an absolute beast.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
And I have to agree about Fierce Diety being his Final Smash. If memory serves me, he could shoot beams from his sword in Majora's Mask, so they could incorporate that.
Not beams but homing ball lightning, though tournament announcers have told us that BotW Link can do the classic beam at 0% already.

I'm honestly a little weirded out by this inclusion because BotW Link looks to have only minimal changes, rendering a classic Link unnecessary, and Toon Link already has the alternate properties young version covered.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I thought Young Link had next to no chance to return, with Toon Link firmly taking his place, and that there would be absolutely no reason why all three Links would appear on the same roster. I didn't think anyone would have a good reason to think he'd likely come back by this point. Looks like I owe you guys an apology. I'm sorry for dismissing the idea....

I originally thought I wouldn't be okay with three Links on the roster, but now that we know that's actually happening, I'm pretty content with it. Heck, knowing TL and YL will actually be able to duke it out is pretty cool all on it's own. I may be much more personally attached to Toon Link than Young Link, but I'm happy for you all who wanted YL. And I'm especially happy that neither of the two had to sit out in order to keep just one, at long last! Congrats, guys. :)

Ade117

Smash Rookie
Young Link is my favorite character to see return. I absolutely loved him in Melee, and my heart dropped when he was replaced by Toon Link in Brawl. Time to bring the pain train again!

D

Deleted member

Young Link is my favorite character to see return. I absolutely loved him in Melee, and my heart dropped when he was replaced by Toon Link in Brawl. Time to bring the pain train again!
Cheers to that mate

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I'm honestly a little weirded out by this inclusion because BotW Link looks to have only minimal changes, rendering a classic Link unnecessary, and Toon Link already has the alternate properties young version covered.
He’s back because Sakurai wanted literally everyone back. This is supposed to be the family reunion of Smash, with no one missing out, even the ones that have no reason to come back. *cough*DarkPit*cough*

The more I think about it, the more I’m on board. It just feels right, seeing the whole family together :)

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Young Link and Toon Link are the same? No way! I couldn't touch Toon Link in Brawl or Sm4sh because he felt so stale compared to the super agile Young Link I mained in Melee. It's about time we get the best Link back in a Smash Bros roster.

SS2000

Smash Apprentice
It's nice to see young Link again. But it would be infinitely nicer if he had some suitable changes for the times like something to differentiate him further from the other two Links. Now we have three Links that all use bombs, arrows, boomerangs, and a spin attack, even if the moves function a little differently. Link has had so many adventures that I could easily make over twelve move sets for him with half of them not even including a sword. Since young Link is mainly known for Majora's Mask, maybe using masks some way would be fitting. Or if transforming is way too much work, then perhaps some other idea that could apply to him (or even any Link) like having limited magic for certain special moves/items or something. I guess Sakurai is dead set of making sure old characters never change in ways that would actually please said characters' fans. (Condolences to all who's favorites entered smash as a clone... As long as he's in charge, it is clearly a case of, "once a clone, always a clone (especially the big G! lol)".)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Curse all of you saying that Young Link is just a clone of Toon Link. Young Link died the day Toon Link took his place. I was a Young Link main for ages; everyone asked me if Toon Link was my new main. I enjoy playing Link but never Toon Link.

The H Kid

Original
I welcome my old main back in his classic form. It wouldn't be the kid I played if he was totally overhauled into something new.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm really happy to see Young Link, he'll probably be my most used Link. Here's hoping for that Fierce Deity Final Smash

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
lets

****ing

GOOOO!!!!

I hope his bombs are multi-hit like they were in melee.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I never thought we'd see Young Link again in a Smash game--this is amazing.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'm dumbfounded to be completely honest, but am happy to see his return. I missed his old flurry attack (jab combo), and the bright green slashes that emanate from the Kokiri Sword are a nice touch.

What do you all think of this image below? Teaser? Or just reading way too deep? We didn't see Young Link's FS after all, but we HAVE seen both Toon Link and Link's. Perhaps there's a reason we didn't see it yet? Either way, I'm super excited to see YL back! He had attributes that even TL doesn't have that I missed, and he is a constant reminder of my favourite Zelda game (MM). I told myself that I'd just use BotW Link when the game releases, but with YL now in the mix, I'm not so sure now!

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm dumbfounded to be completely honest, but am happy to see his return. I missed his old flurry attack (jab combo), and the bright green slashes that emanate from the Kokiri Sword are a nice touch.

What do you all think of this image below? Teaser? Or just reading way too deep? We didn't see Young Link's FS after all, but we HAVE seen both Toon Link and Link's. Perhaps there's a reason we didn't see it yet? Either way, I'm super excited to see YL back! He had attributes that even TL doesn't have that I missed, and he is a constant reminder of my favourite Zelda game (MM). I told myself that I'd just use BotW Link when the game releases, but with YL now in the mix, I'm not so sure now!

It is probably just a color swap which is vaguely disappointing, as I wanted to wear my black tunic again. But the return of the "good" purple should be enough for me, and if not, at least I can swap between Goron and Zora tunic to miss things up. Ever since Brawl, the red and blue colors were just wasted slots.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
They made his rapid jab so much better and more satisfying. It was always kind of weird in Melee. Also, since Toon Link has a new f Smash, that helps to differentiate the two. They might try to differentiate the two more by making them move differently or something.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Anyone here taking charge of a Young Link discord server? I am thinking about creating one, but am new to actually creating/ managing a server. I am willing to learn how, though!

Edit: Looks like there's discussion about it on the Smash 4 Link discord already.

Last edited:

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Ahhhhh I’m so happy to see him back!!! A tiny bit bummed that he isn’t MM inspired but oh well! Also I’m willing to bet his final smash will be fierce deity triforce slash (which makes it 10000x better than any other version of it)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Fair play to you. I thought he was replaced entirely by Toon Link as a graphical update. It wouldn't be the Smash party without him.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
When I was a young teen, I absolutely loved using Young Link in Melee, having freshly played Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Extremely happy to see him back! I can't really go back to Melee after having played so much Brawl and Smash 4, so I'm happy to give him a brand new shot in Ultimate!

Culex

Smash Rookie
Young Link was one of my favorite characters in Melee. When he was nowhere to be seen in Smash 4, I was certain that we've lost him forever.
I was super surprised to see him back in Smash Bros. Ultimate. I'm gonna use him a lot.

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Can somebody summarize the differences we've seen so far between his melee incarnation, Toon Link, and his current incarnation??? That flurry is a new move, isn't it??? He was a character I enjoyed playing as in Melee, but it's been so long, I honestly don't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom