• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
Who else does YL do well against in the higher tiers besides Puff and Peach? I was wondering because I am looking for a character to pair with him as a secondary or a main. I'm confused because the matchup chart here says the matches are against YL http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssbm/character/younglink/ . Where can I find an updated chart?
Here's the thing, YL does not necessarily counter Puff or Peach but he does relatively well.

I mean think about it. Armada's ability to play this game is better than Hungrybox's, without a doubt. Yet when they play YL vs Jiggs, it's really freakin' close. What does that mean? It means the match-up is probably still slightly in Puff's favor but Armada's better match-up knowledge and overall better skill allows him to win over Hungrybox.

YL does not hard counter Puff or Peach. If you understand the match-up and your opponent does not, you can have an advantage in these match-ups. An example of a hard counter is Peach vs IC's; YL vs Puff/Peach is nowhere close to that. YL vs Puff/Peach is 50-50 at best but probably closer to 40-60, which the chart suggests. It could be 50-50 if more people played the match-up to the extreme like Armada but a lot of people aren't that disciplined.

A big part of these match-ups is to give your opponent something they've never seen before. Every Puff/Peach has played against spacies but not necessarily a Young Link.

Last edited:

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
Armadas young link is good against puff, because he camps really hard, and is good at it, but i dont think he plays enough YL to be considered one of the best, I think Laijin is a better YL than armada. If Axe camped a little bit, which he wont do cuz he always wants to go in, his YL would be legendary

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
Armadas young link is good against puff, because he camps really hard, and is good at it, but i dont think he plays enough YL to be considered one of the best, I think Laijin is a better YL than armada. If Axe camped a little bit, which he wont do cuz he always wants to go in, his YL would be legendary

Boondocker

Smash Ace
Speaking of Axe, I was thinking about pairing YL with Pikachu. They are my two favorite characters in the game and seem to compliment each other pretty well. Shiek worries me, though. Can YL handle him at all?

crucifix

Smash Rookie
Speaking of Axe, I was thinking about pairing YL with Pikachu. They are my two favorite characters in the game and seem to compliment each other pretty well. Shiek worries me, though. Can YL handle him at all?
*her. and yes he can. it's an extremely hard mu for me personally but it's doable.

Last edited:

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
As a Peach/mid tier main, I hate Sheik. If she got removed from the game I wouldn't even be sad. I refuse to play with her as well.

Darcy Canales

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna be entering into a tournament soon, my first, and I just want to know something. I usually (please don't hate me) main young link, and I have actually been able to beat my friend who is REALLY GOOD while he played as his main, Marth. I have read around and watched videos, and it seems to me that many people believe young link as a main is pretty much a joke, or that playing him in tournaments is the worst idea possible. This isn't a very big tournament, so I was wondering if playing him as my main would be a good idea.

P.S.- The tournament is soon, and I have practiced with young link for a very long time now, so I'm not 100% sure if I'll be able to learn many new characters as well as him in the short time.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Who else does YL do well against in the higher tiers besides Puff and Peach? I was wondering because I am looking for a character to pair with him as a secondary or a main. I'm confused because the matchup chart here says the matches are against YL http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssbm/character/younglink/ . Where can I find an updated chart?
Those are his best match ups, but I like the Falco match up as well personally. You can out camp and out play him with minimum mistakes. Sheik, Marth, especially Fox and Falcon are all really rough matches. Young Link does exceptionally well against Ice Climbers as well. They rely on grabs and their ground game. Young Link's campy playstyle allows him to avoid getting grabbed or being put in danger to get grabbed. I find this match up easier than Peach.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
definitely agree with the ice climbers matchup being easier than the peach matchup. I'm a ice climbers main and I always opt to do y. link vs ice climbers instead of the ditto.

Waker of the Winds

Smash Rookie
I am having trouble finding a good guide for Young Link, can somebody point me in the right direction?

Edit: Replaced link with point because I made an accidental pun.

Last edited:

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I've got a question about YL. I chose this thread because i saw Axe post something in it, and he's the only YL i've seen who does this so far. What i mean is that, he pulls out a bomb in a ledge hop, and i just don't get how that's possible, even in Version 1.0. I always end up falling down because of the bomb pull lag.

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
Hey, I've got a question about YL. I chose this thread because i saw Axe post something in it, and he's the only YL i've seen who does this so far. What i mean is that, he pulls out a bomb in a ledge hop, and i just don't get how that's possible, even in Version 1.0. I always end up falling down because of the bomb pull lag.
You just need to do it really fast, it takes some practice

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
Has nothing to do with which version you're playing.

To understand how fast you need to do it, use a claw grip and press Y and down-B at the same time you hop from the ledge. Once you realize how fast you need to press it, try figuring out ways to do it without the claw grip.

Last edited:

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
i don't quite understand the claw grip usage in this practice. do you mean to use the claw grip after pulling the bomb, or pulling the bomb when rising from the claw grip? then it should be A and down-B, i guess.

@ Magnawolf Magnawolf can you do it consistently?

edit: YES!!!! i got it once just the moment ago :)

fyi: I pressed down from the edge and jumped instantaneously (which is very important to not lose too much height) with my forefinger, because then i could again instantaneously press B with my thumb. down input was still given from the ledge drop.

I feel like it's kinda cheating with this finger setup ;D;D

edit: okay it works well with rolling the thumb from Y to B without touching A, too.
That way i also managed to shoot an arrow in a ledge hop, which had been my next question :D

Last edited:

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
fyi: I pressed down from the edge and jumped instantaneously (which is very important to not lose too much height) with my forefinger, because then i could again instantaneously press B with my thumb. down input was still given from the ledge drop.

I feel like it's kinda cheating with this finger setup ;D;D
...you just did it using the claw grip

And yes, I can do it pretty consistently now. I use the tip of my thumb to hit Y and the side of it to hit B at the same time. I have to slightly shift my hand.

Sfeet

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys I had this question too haha ^____^ Another technical question - In Axe's set against MacD, he does this grapple trick on battlefield where he grapples below the stage and floats up to the ledge. How did he doe this? Young Link appeared to be in free fall state when he did this. Axe vs MacD is the video and it is at 2:15

crucifix

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys I had this question too haha ^____^ Another technical question - In Axe's set against MacD, he does this grapple trick on battlefield where he grapples below the stage and floats up to the ledge. How did he doe this? Young Link appeared to be in free fall state when he did this. Axe vs MacD is the video and it is at 2:15
to quote axe:
As for that Battlefield recovery trick:
If you're under one of the sides of Battlefield and airdodge hookshot upwards, the wall will cancel your hookshot. So all you have to do is drift backwards and you'll grab the ledge. It's so awesome lol. This character has like a million tricks.

:phone:

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
Is anyone here familiar with "haxdashing"?
is it possible to pull this off with young link?

and is there any notable difference in wavedashing from the edge on the stage with pushing down and pushing away from the edge before the wavedash?

Last edited:

JemTheScrub101

Smash Cadet
I've tried doing this after seeing Axe perform it, and I can't do it consistently even though I swear I do the exact same timing every time and it occasionally works. Oh well, practice makes perfect.

JemTheScrub101

Smash Cadet
Also, every time I use a boomerang "mid-combo" the catching animation/lag continues to interrupt my dash and wavedash. Does any one know a method of dealing with this? I've tried shorthopping over it and jabbing it when it comes towards me, but I tend to screw up the combo doing these.
Thanks. :)

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
Mhm I guess you just have to be aware of where the boomerang is and how it'll come back all the time to deal with this.

I would really like to see Armada's Young Link sets from CEO 2014 but i missed it on stream and now I can't find it anywhere.
Anyone an idea where it could be uploaded or where it will be uploaded in the future?

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
i can only find some pool matches like blea gelo vs mango and stuff :/

Edit: YESSS they're uploading the stuff now on vgbootcamp *.*

Last edited:

Sfeet

Smash Rookie
You guys there is a website vods.co which has a toooon of recorded sets for melee, brawl, and pm backlogged since evo 2013 I think.

Snowbird

Smash Cadet
How come when I type "axe ylink melee" into ytube the most recent thing is 6 months ago! Axe lets see you play! Your ylink is insane to watch.

Hawt Salsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
illuminati
3DS FC
0666-0420-1337
How come when I type "axe ylink melee" into ytube the most recent thing is 6 months ago! Axe lets see you play! Your ylink is insane to watch.
Because he only pulls it out seriously on occasion. Check again though, there's a recent set with him and chu.

Top Bottom