• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, if you want to learn about all of Young Links tricks, look up my trial video I made on youtube. I can't post the link so type in "Young Link trial video" on youtube. Enjoy!

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, if you want to learn about all of Young Links tricks, look up my trial video I made on youtube. I can't post the link so type in "Young Link trial video" on youtube. Enjoy!

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Dismiss this if this is a stupid question, but what would be YLink's worst to best MU's against the top 14?

The inner ex-Ylink in me must know
IMO
Worst
Fox
Sheik
Falco
Marth
Falcon
Pikachu
Ganondorf
Mario
Dr. Mario
Ice Climbers
Jigglypuff
Peach
Luigi
Samus
Best
I think it becomes even-ish around the Mario->Jiggs area

Bonus: I think we lose to Yoshi.

Last edited:

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
Is Sheild dropping considered essential YLink tech?
I'd say yes, because nowadays it's essential for every character + movement options (running shield drop to space/threaten with drop down aerials/tomahawk + up air is probably one of ylink best combo moves and has a very forgiving timing to hit the opponent on the platform after a shieldrop

Last edited:

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
Man I had so much fun being Young Link back in the Melee days, but as of current I no longer have access to Melee. Someday though I hope people figure out modding for 3DS or Wii U so I could play as him in the new Smash games!

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I'm just wondering what kind of things I should be practicing offline against a CPU. Suggestions please.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hello fellow Young Link mains. My name is Unknown Hero and would like to join the ranks of this thread. I have been on Smashboards for a while just hanging out in the Smash 4 threads (particularly the Robin, Link and Toon Link threads) and have gotten a small reputation for my love of Young Link. I will defend this character against any negative comments that people might say about him with my life. So again, Hello :)

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Welcome :) the YL boards are kinda dead so we need all the 'life' we can get :p
Yeah, I will try to do that. I think it would help if Young Link was brought back into smash4 as DLC. Hyrule Warriors style.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Yo guys, I made a new tech video for YL explaining some more tricks and tips I use against top tier characters. Check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY8hb93QMdE
Oh my god, that video is so help :D

Hey guys, if you could change Y. Link without making him like Fox, what would you change? For me, it would be (in order of want):

1. Boomerang coming out quick (like PM link)
2. Improved kill power on first hit fair
3. FSmash links together better (like Tink smash 4)
4. Higher second jump
5. Toon Link's ground spin attack
6. Better kill power on Upsmash

Thoughts?

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Oh my god, that video is so help :D

Hey guys, if you could change Y. Link without making him like Fox, what would you change?
I would say a faster B button animation and instead of fire arrows maybe a slingshot similar to falcos lasers aka sh slingshot.

faster d tilt and up tilt (which was fixed in sd remix)

maybe make him a tiny bit faster? He is a kid for christs ake. Kids are hard to catch.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I would say a faster B button animation and instead of fire arrows maybe a slingshot similar to falcos lasers aka sh slingshot.

faster d tilt and up tilt (which was fixed in sd remix)

maybe make him a tiny bit faster? He is a kid for christs ake. Kids are hard to catch.
Hm, all fair points, particular the slingshot, what being a faster version of Falco's lasers (make more sense to). Also, it wouldn't be a bad thing to make him a little faster (speed of character and moves) either, though out of everything, I would still like to have a higher second jump and faster boomerang.

Diabolical PIe

Smash Apprentice
If Young Link had Link's Up-B, I would spam the hell out of it, haha. Just a weird thing to me is that grounded fire arrows only leave out a hurtbox, not a hitbox even though there's fire on the ground. 0_o

Macattack102

Smash Rookie
yea like woah... what was that? ^^^is that a 1.01 version tech?

And Unknown hero, as for your buffs, I like them for the most part. I think the biggest thing YL lacks is good killing moves. if they could lightly buff his knockback of his attacks i think he would drastically improve. his preanimation lag (moves to come out quicker) is also a huge killer and is why it has developed him into a relatively campy character (which is something i dont like. I wish he could go head to head up close without being punished so easily.(like axe i guess? idk how hes so aggressive....)) Anyway, i love his boomerang, especially the ability to angle it. I would love if it came out a hair faster.

Rosy, I love that combo video! i just made my smashboards account today, and I was actually surprised that i knew almost all of those techs already, but i will say that to learn them was not easy because they were never in one place like that. i had to watch many axe vids and practice the timings over many many days to get them down. I will say that i did not know you could recover from the bottom of pokemon stadium but i do it all the time on FoD. and also I can not get the moonwalk down or the sliding upB off the edge but i did know about it. i can do it sometimes but i SD sometimes or i dont slide far enough and i dont actually fall off the edge. i dont think im doing it right :/.... anyway, triple aerials are hard but so fun. i can usuially do em 60% of the time when i try them, but more like 30-40% in a real match. i use the C stick for them. is that what you do? I would be curious what axe does for his. Do you have any tips for getting moonwalking down? i feel like i might just not be doing it fast enough, but idk how people wip it so fast. i may be holding forward to long before i wip it around the other way. idk. any tips would be much appreciated by anyone. Thank you for reading. I love Young Link and If they make an HD melee remake, i greatly somebody makes a few changes to him.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
^^^. God, I love your buff ideas. there are awesome.

Also, the idea about a melee remake, but if Young Link was to make a smash 4 apperance, would you perfer to see him in his Melee form, his MM form or, better yet, his Hyrule Warriors version. Just imagine him destorying everything with a two (one) handed sword while being the most adorbale thing that you have ever seen X3.

Last edited:

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
yea like woah... what was that? ^^^is that a 1.01 version tech?

Rosy, I love that combo video! i just made my smashboards account today, and I was actually surprised that i knew almost all of those techs already, but i will say that to learn them was not easy because they were never in one place like that. i had to watch many axe vids and practice the timings over many many days to get them down. I will say that i did not know you could recover from the bottom of pokemon stadium but i do it all the time on FoD. and also I can not get the moonwalk down or the sliding upB off the edge but i did know about it. i can do it sometimes but i SD sometimes or i dont slide far enough and i dont actually fall off the edge. i dont think im doing it right :/.... anyway, triple aerials are hard but so fun. i can usuially do em 60% of the time when i try them, but more like 30-40% in a real match. i use the C stick for them. is that what you do? I would be curious what axe does for his. Do you have any tips for getting moonwalking down? i feel like i might just not be doing it fast enough, but idk how people wip it so fast. i may be holding forward to long before i wip it around the other way. idk. any tips would be much appreciated by anyone. Thank you for reading. I love Young Link and If they make an HD melee remake, i greatly somebody makes a few changes to him.
I would say with your up b to ledge you gotta pull in towards stage after you fly off so you don't SD.

Its best to practice moonwalks with young link or link so it should be relatively easy to do it. It is really fast so if you notie you are slightly doing it that means you are on the right path.

I can only tripple aerial towards the left. So I do short hop with Y then C stick left then up on analong then Y (So I get one of the jumps) then C stick left again into nair.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
It only works in a special version of 20xx. Its awesome to **** around with though and obviously makes his recovery broken as **** XD
Aw dam. That sucks :(. Wait, if people can hack Melee so that Young Link can do that, why do they just take it a step further and balance out the entire cast, making it more along the lines of PM?

Macattack102

Smash Rookie
Unknown hero, Definetly his melee form. im not a fan of toon link or any of the other spinoffs of kid link. ive never played hyrule warriors :/ so.... i like the idea of a slighly weaker but faster version of link with a few minor changes. but when you start changing him into the cartooney windwaker kid link ehhh im not such a fan. plus he is actually slower and has less range in that form IMO.

Rosy, like i can kind of do it (moonwalk) pretty easily but when it comes to getting the fullest most deepest reverse bairs i can never get my moonwalks to go back to the point from which they started from. A test ive found is that if you roll all the way to the edge where you start to lean off stage and are facing towards the stage, you should be able to moon walk to where you actually fall off behind you (basically go farther than where you started) if you are moonwalking correctly. This is what i cant seem to do. i dont know how to improve my speed or whatever. now i will say this because i learned this today actually. The CONTROLLER you use is apparently extremely important when it comes to moonwalking. my lil bro had some friends over yesterday and he said he used one of their platinum controllers from there childhoods and he said he could instantly moonwalk like 10x easier. i have noticed that the controller i use (the white one) has a very tight analog stick (which i guess is good) but it has alot of resistance as well. like the spring that returns the analog stick back to the center is very strong. i wish i could make it looser or something because i think it would help me with the speed aspect of moonwalking. do you have any knowledge about this? im thinking about looking into tweaking the resistance. idk. my analog stick is very tight compared to everyone elses controller i try. i bought it just over a year ago. so its moderately used but pretty new still. I practiced the upB off the edge alot today, and ive gotten alot better. ithink the hardest part is not throwing a boomerang instead of using an upB and also timing the up B so you actually fall off instead of not falling off. And I too do all of my triple/double aerials to the left (so i can use the C-stick). I cant use the C stick going to the right.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Unknown hero, Definetly his melee form. im not a fan of toon link or any of the other spinoffs of kid link. ive never played hyrule warriors :/ so.... i like the idea of a slighly weaker but faster version of link with a few minor changes. but when you start changing him into the cartooney windwaker kid link ehhh im not such a fan. plus he is actually slower and has less range in that form IMO.
Yeah, i wouldn't mind if they kept him in his Melee form but gave him some of his MM equipment (articularly his Hero shield and Razor Sword)
Also, with his Hyrule Warriors version, just have a look at this video to see what I mean
Gods, his such an adorable bad***

Last edited:
Top Bottom