• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Justice

theeboredone

Smash Legend

So who watches this show? Season 1 finale came on this past weekend, and season 2 is going to start immediately this weekend. They have a wonky schedule in terms of when they decide to take breaks and what not, but overall, I think the show itself is pretty good in quality, though some episodes do come up short. If you're into the DC Universe, you guys should definitely check this show out. Would be nice to get fellow DC fans into this show and have some discussion!

Young Justice members in the show...

Red Arrow
Aqualad
Robin
Miss Martian
Superboy
Kid Flash
Artemis
Zatanna
Rocket
-Might be missing some others!-

Season 2 also is expected to debut Wonder Girl.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I love this show.

Greg Weisman working on it has definitely given it something of a Gargoyles feel imo. I'm glad to see a good DC cartoon on the air again.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Gargoyles was definitely a favorite show growing up. I haven't enjoyed a DC show this much since the Justice League (Unlimited.) Since then, I've only been watching these DC Animated movie releases. I think some of the episodes in YJ are a bit lack luster at times, but there have been some good ones. I think one of my favorites was when Kid Flash has to make the delivery to a girl at a hospital far away.

The Season finale was interesting to say the least. Not sure if I bought the scene when New Years struck lol.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Young Justice is epic, watched the entire first season. Definitely not disappointed after great shows like Static Shock, Justice League, etc. from DC.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Anyone watch the Season 2 premiere? It aired this past Saturday, so spoilers from here on out...

I honestly was surprised to see the show take a 5 year jump. Obviously that brings up a lot of questions in the grand scheme of things such as what happened to Aqualad, Kid Flash, or Artemis. Why did Miss Martian and Superboy break up? And in 5 years, you still have to take into account some plot lines from the first season such as the other Super Boy still being around and the investigation of Savage after the Season 1 finale.

I wonder if this show will utilize flashbacks or just go with people bringing it up in conversation.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Yeah I was really surprised about the time jump as well...

I might be the only one but I am not liking how with each new episode, there seems to be new recruits to the team. I'd much prefer the original team of Robin, Aqualad, Superboy, Miss Martian, and Artemis and maybe Zatanna as well. I hope character development won't be compromised.

Superboy did seem to have some lingering feelings though...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I really wish they would stick to the core characters. Don't get me wrong, I thought the blue beetle was pretty bamf. The others...not so much. Still, I'd be biased in saying Aqualad was a favorite, and KidFlash always intrigued me.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I had no problem with how JLU handled the large cast, and I believe that this will still have its "main" characters to focus on, with some extras for fanservice.

The five year jump could work out well imo, the current heroes were pretty new back then and this will let them expand on their continuity like with the larger Bat Family we saw.

I would have probably preferred one more season before a time jump honestly, but I'm excited to see what they do with their new resources.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Latest episode...I think I'm starting to get tired of these, episodes start off in the middle, and then you have flashbacks to how they got there theme lol. With that being said, we got some more information on why things are the way they were. More to be shown next episode most likely.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So some more light revealed about the last 5 years through dialogue in the present. I can't believe Aqualad turned to the dark side. Granted some troubling things happened to him, but he always seemed the most loyal and moral centric person of the original group. I really hope he has a shot at redemption. He was a favorite of mine.

On another note, interesting to see Superboy and Superman are super tight.

3 episodes left before the show goes on break. I wonder if we will get some light into Kid Flash and Artemis.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I did not expect to see Lian Harper show up in this, and with this technically being a kids show we shouldn't have to worry about her getting killed off for no good reason either. :3

Wally and Artemis retired from being heroes and are in college, more a question of when they will return now.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Man, for a Saturday morning show, this sure has a lot of subtle mature themes. That's what I love about the Justice League and Young Justice. This one, the frankenstein monster wanting to be killed because it was suffering. Artemis and Wally, college students living together. Speedy having a kid and losing himself.

I actually enjoyed this episode in some areas, while not so much in others. It just needed that extra "oomph" to put it as a great episode, but it just couldn't do it. I hope Wally and Artemis are forced back into action. Much as I love some of these new guys (the bat clan, beast boy and blue beetle), the original still has a place in my heart.

2 episodes left until the season break =(

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Hell yeah, a Flash episode!

All four of them in one episode has made my day.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Go Go Flash Rangers! Now we got one more episode left before the hiatus. Unless they plan on airing all of them.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Wow, I seriously thought for a moment they were going to kill Artemis off. Also, nice to see the plot twist on Aqualad.

The history behind Superboy and Miss Martian...well, now we know why it happened.

If anyone has read the DC comics, I'd appreciate it if someone could put in spoiler tags or something if there is a story line similar to this one.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I watch this show. I wouldn't say I like it, but I watch it.

I think it's probably the best animated show DC has put out since JLU and I do like it more than Teen Titans, but I still don't think it holds a candle to Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Justice League, or JLU. I guess my hangup is several things that I didn't like about what the writers did with several the series. I'm not going to harp on it too much ("Gates not writing a novel about what he doesn't like? That's a first hurr hurr") but generally, I don't like:
  • Miscasting and bad writing behind the Batman villains (except Danny Trejo as Bane).
  • A lot of plot threads seem to have really rushed resolutions or the resolution is just a total ***pull.
  • The timeskip (so much character development glossed over or explained in passing).

What I DO like about the series though:
  • Character designs stick to the classic characters instead of that DCnU crap.
  • The writers seem to know how to handle the characters and understand what each character fundamentally values (as evidenced by the recent Blue Beetle episodes).
  • Rare moments of genuine hilarity (M'Gann at the Halloween episode).

So yeah, this series is ok. Like I said, I enjoy it more than Teen Titans and the other animated shows DC has done since JLU ended.

So is the break going to be nearly 4 months like last time or is it going to be shorter?

EDIT: "***pull" isn't censored, who knew?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't know how long the break is, but I hope it's not 4 months again.

I agree with all your points, but I'll be the first to say I'm a DC > Marvel person in general. Last year's Spectacular Spiderman was amazing. Too bad it got cancelled cause of the Sony license. Ultimate Spiderman is okay so far.

Far as this show goes, I think the 5 year skip has given some cool things to look forward too, but I also feel like it wasn't necessary to advance the plot. 5 years is a loooong time. Plus, now they are juggling a bunch of characters, so things can get a bit tough on character development. So far though, they've handled it well.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Break is till mid September, wish I found this thread earlier, I like this show a lot and would of loved to discuss the season lol.

:017:

Kal

Smash Champion
My biggest issue with the show so far is how seriously it takes itself. It reaches the point of absurdity, but it's totally played straight, which can be very strange. I also hate the way Batman appears to lead the Justice League. Overall, I like the show, but I agree with the complaints Gates has brought forward. The show doesn't compare to Batman TAS, Superman TAS, or Justice League/Unlimited.

I also think Green Lantern TAS is better. >_>

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Bump because the break ends tomorrow (well, technically today but whatever).

Here's my predictions for the rest of the season (and potentially the start of season 3):
  • The Reach is going to be disappointing.
  • Kaldur's storyline is going to go nowhere.
  • Megan's not going to become evil, or if she does it'll be for like one episode before someone talks her out of it (probably Superboy or her "uncle").
  • Impulse and Beast Boy are going to have a contest to see who can be more annoying.
  • Batgirl is going to try to get a leg up on the competition. To try to get her foot in the door of the Justice League. She's going to be doing all of the team's legwork. She's really going to put her foot down.
  • Superboy is still going to be emo and not have any of Superman's useful powers and be voiced by Nolan North.
  • Red Arrow is still going to be angry and be voiced by Crispin Freeman.
  • The whole thing is just generally going to be really bad.
idk, maybe I'm still buttfrustrated over season 1 and the poor casting choices they made. It would be like if they made an animated series of The Punisher and all the mob bosses were voiced by Jerry Lewis impressionists, their mooks were voiced by Jaleel White, and The Punisher himself was voiced by Pauly Shore doing a Sylvester Stallone impression that ended up sounding more like Tony Danza. That's what I think of the casting in this series.

On the note of casting though, M'Gann's voice actress, Danica McKellar, is actually really hot.
[collapse=Hello Megan]

[/collapse]
She's also has an undergraduate degree in math from UCLA and has written several math help books targeted at 10 to 16 year old girls. Needless to say, she's my new waifu.

Anyway, this week's episode: Roy Harper gets unfrozen and seeks vengeance against the man who ruined his life while being voiced by Crispin Freeman. Will it actually be interesting or will it be as bad as Rise of Arsenal was? Will he get a bionic arm, or will someone else have to lend a hand? And who is this man who ruined his life? Is it Lex Luthor? Count Vertigo? Green Arrow? Officer Barbrady? Chef? The 1993 Denver Broncos? Tune in and find out, it's what DC wants you to do!

I also think Green Lantern TAS is better. >_>
I never really got into GLTAS. The first episode skipped over Hal's origins which I thought was bad form. The animation also reminds me too much of ReBoot. I also kind of disagree with Red Lanterns being the main villains when it's the Yellow Lanterns they should be worried about but presumably they're going to do Sinestro's fall from grace and the story of the Qwardian power ring later. That one emo red lantern who's a main cast member (I forget his name because I don't think he's in the comics) is really annoying though. It's cool that they have Bro'Dee Walker and Mogo in the show though.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
You are one Negative Nelly.

Anyway, what a fantastic premiere that was, that memorial for fallen heroes had JASON ****ING TODD in it, so that's confirmation all the Robins have been in this universe, however I'm betting Jason isn't really dead, they just don't know it. It seems like we are getting low key hints to the possible formation of the Outlaws, Roy getting that robot arm and taking on the name Arsenal along with the Jason Todd memorial just screams it.

:017:

Gates

Banned via Warnings
You are one Negative Nelly.
With this show I try to brace myself for disappointment. I'm still kind of jaded over how bad season 1 was and the missed opportunities brought about by the timeskip. It makes the few good moments the show has more satisfying though. Just like with video games.

It seems like we are getting low key hints to the possible formation of the Outlaws, Roy getting that robot arm and taking on the name Arsenal along with the Jason Todd memorial just screams it.
I've seen a lot of fans say this and I think it's a massive leap in logic. It's about as logical as saying "Oh, Guardian, Zatanna, and Klarion are in YJ, they must be getting ready for a Seven Soldiers storyline." There are several things wrong with this kind of thing:

1. Roy doesn't have a bionic arm in RH&tO. I don't understand how people keep forgetting this since it's a pretty big deal.
2. There has been no sign of Starfire or the Tamaraneans whatsoever and nothing has been foreshadowed to imply that they exist yet in this universe. Starfire is a key part of the Outlaws because she's the only one with actual powers and her constant swimsuit model posing and promiscuous nature (EDIT: Really? I can't say sl*t? Really?) is the only reason people buy the comic.
3. You know how Jason Todd died, right? You can't just walk away from something like that. It took Superboy Prime punching the source wall to bring Jason back before and I seriously doubt they'll go through the mess of a storyline that was Infinite Crisis in this show (unless they take 5 seasons to set it up or shorten everything down to the CliffNotes version of Infinite Crisis). What tops it all off is that it was The Joker who killed him. Any other villain I could accept that he was only made to look dead or whatever to trick the heroes or some BS, but The Joker always finishes his plate.
4. Young Justice is a Saturday morning cartoon show aimed at 8 to 11 year olds. I'm pretty sure Standards & Practices would take issue with certain things that happen in RH&tO. So if they did add The Outlaws at all, we would get a watered-down version of it with far less sex and violence, which kind of kills the point since that's what the comic is all about.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the writers of this show did incorporate The Outlaws into this series. Of course I wouldn't be surprised if they blew up the Earth at the end of the second season either.

This episode was ok though. The Roy vs Mercy fight was pretty cool and you really get to see just how pissed off Roy is at everything that's happened. Everyone else was just moping about Artemis though, which got kind of boring to watch after a while. One thing I'm still wondering though - where the hell did Nightwing run off to?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Nevermind, a new episode came out today. I think it just changed its timeslot.

Don't trust Wikipedia, kids.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
What the hell Cartoon Network?

I'm happy Adult Swim brought back Toonami and all, but you tell no one when you put DC Nation on Hiatus? The hell even happened?

At least there's youtube. :/

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Man, I hate how such a story heavy plot like YJ keeps getting fragmented due to CN's decisions on when the show should air. This episode left so many things to talk about, and some things that impacted certain characters.

I mean seriously, what Miss Martian did...I mean it was expected that mind wipe thing she does would have its biggest consequence later down the road. I wonder how that's going to play into the relationship between her and the rest of the crew.

Isn't what she did essentially a mind wipe?
So does that mean Aqualad may TRULY become a villain now if he is restored?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Isn't what she did essentially a mind wipe?
So does that mean Aqualad may TRULY become a villain now if he is restored?
Yes and yes (probably). The questions will probably be answered this week.

Actually no, knowing this show, this week will probably be about Impulse and Blue Beetle making chicken salad sandwiches, but within the next 3 to 5 episodes we'll get some answers.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just to clarify. The next episode will not air until January. In fact, the first episode to air in January from YJ will be the one that's available on Itunes. The one I'm talking about.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Was expecting a bit more story oriented trailer, but given it is aimed at kids, I guess this was understandable lol.

Bout time though.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So:
  • The Reach is working with Fox News to make the Justice League look like a bunch of ****lords.
  • Black Canary is finding out stuff we already knew.
  • Forgettable throwaway villains are forgettable.
  • Jaime, don't leave us, you're the only new team member who has gotten any character development. ;_;
POOR SPORTISM.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just got finished watching the latest episode. Wasn't really impressed by it. It just felt sort of all over the place, though I guess I'm just wanting to see where Meghan's arc goes. Nightwing has become uninteresting, Blue Beetle/Crash is a good second story line to have, but once again...the pacing just annoys me at times. You get a crap ton the past episode, and this episode all of a sudden slows things down.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Typical Young Justice: Have a bunch of episodes filled with plot followed by one episode that has nothing to do with anything.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
For some reason, I thought having "Arson" blow up the facility would = more bad publicity for the Justice League. Looks like I was wrong.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
This episode was actually not that bad. We get to see Tim Drake accepting more responsibility and doing a pretty good job considering, we're introduced to the "Green Beetle", a White Martian voiced by Phil LaMarr, and we get to see Deathstroke and JONATHAN KENT! Something interesting also caught my attention. Vandal Savage mentions having a child and Lex Luthor mentions creating their own team of operatives. Is this some foreshadowing for a Secret Six team? I guess it's probably about as likely as Red Hood and the Outlaws appearing (not very), but it's still kind of interesting.

For some reason, I thought having "Arson" blow up the facility would = more bad publicity for the Justice League. Looks like I was wrong.
Arsenal. And it remains to be seen whether or not blowing up the hydroponic farm would be bad or not. After all, it was still pretty underhanded of him to do. I'm sure next episode we'll see G. Gordon Godfrey saying
"NOW THAT'S A RUTABAGA!"

Top Bottom