• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You Laugh You Lose: Gentlemen's Club Edition

zero_traveler

Smash Rookie
I went out to one, What about you guys?

It wasn't a religious movement, It was about showing support for a business that some people had threatened with lawsuits and boycotts, for the sole reason of the owner of the company stating his own opinion/religious view.

BTW: A few Chik-fil-A stores had to close early, DUE TO HAVING SOLD OUT OF ALL THEIR CHICKEN.

CFA made out like bandits yesterday. I'm talking making money, hand over fist.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
It's not about voicing their opinions but funding an organization that tells me I cannot marry who I want to marry.
With the money that is spent on them is more money given to people who hate me and everyone like me.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
If they are against Tofer, I am against them.:applejack:

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
It's not about voicing their opinions but funding an organization that tells me I cannot marry who I want to marry.
With the money that is spent on them is more money given to people who hate me and everyone like me.
Chick Fil A determines who you get to marry? I didn't realize they had that much pull. I mean, they sell chicken. And only on 6 days at that.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Chick Fil A determines who you get to marry? I didn't realize they had that much pull. I mean, they sell chicken. And only on 6 days at that.
They do actually donate to organizations that lobby for, among other initiatives, keeping gay marriage unrecognized.

That's the revelation that started this whole deal.

zero_traveler

Smash Rookie
I have a problem with people implying this is all about hating on homosexuals, and whatever other agenda is being discussed at the moment.

Mainly because anyone can say whatever they want in favor of these, and say whatever they want against the other people with no threat of consequences at all, but the people on the other side, if they try so much as to explain or defend their position at all, they get socially crucified.

Wasn't America founded on the precepts of free speech and freedom of religion? Shouldn't people be allowed to hold their own opinions/beliefs and speak them? or is it only the "Right" people that should get to speak and hold the "Right" thoughts, and Profess the "Right" beliefs?

That happened once you know. The Church of England? Ring any bells? People were forced to be in the church or else? Made a bunch of people decide to leave and start up some colonies...where were those... OH. RIGHT.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, so I'm out, lemme know when the thread is about funny again.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I have a problem with people implying this is all about hating on homosexuals, and whatever other agenda is being discussed at the moment.

Mainly because anyone can say whatever they want in favor of these, and say whatever they want against the other people with no threat of consequences at all, but the people on the other side, if they try so much as to explain or defend their position at all, they get socially crucified.
because they're wrong.
do you let people spew racial hatred? tell black people they can't marry each other?
no
this is the same thing
stop talking

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'm going to complain about a strawman double standard in order to justify a culture of privilege, and ignore anyone who might actually try to explain what's wrong with my position, so don't really even bother trying to give me insight on your views.
Oh, okay, then. Bye.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i don't eat at chick-fil-a because they donate money to anti-gay groups. thats me. ULTIMATELY THOUGH, what they are doing is legal and there's nothing we can do about it except make personal decisions not to support it. I don't think this whole ****STORM going on right now is necessary.

also

SLAYED

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I don't eat at Chick-fil-A because their food is terrible.

Walmart destroyed me.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744

I like Chick-Fil-A. I have gay friends (Tofer being one of them) and family. I will not stop eating at CFA.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
you cant even compare that to black rights, unless a gay KKK shows up and starts murdering ****, cut the bullcrap.
what?
does the fact that people aren't murdering homosexuals left and right make the anti-gay **** okay? hell no. 1960s racism wasn't okay and neither is this.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
There are people who murder gays and lesbians.
There are multiple cases of hate crimes all over the USA.
Just because they do not have a group name like KKK does not make them any less real.
So there is no "Bullcrap" to cut.

Also, Zero, you're the one who started this whole thing.
You're such a whimp, stirring up something like this and then backing out because it's being discussed.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
CAN'T WE ALL GO BACK TO JUST POSTING FUNNY PICTURES?!?

You can talk about this in the Pika social anyway...

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
what?
does the fact that people aren't murdering homosexuals left and right make the anti-gay **** okay? hell no. 1960s racism wasn't okay and neither is this.
if someone aint ok with gays, thats their thing, its only a problem cuz people wanna shove that shizzle down everyone's throats, this also works both ways.

as bad as the discrimination is, you're not a race thats been oppressed for like, ever. what you guys do is cool with me but you're no civil rights movement. not even close.

plus the fact yall wanna antagonize zero make you look just as bad as the anti gay peeps, he said his peace and doesnt wanna get involved, leave it at that.

next question...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRI8CAD9_D0

what the hell is this?

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Excuse to post, also don't think I've seen this here yet.

[collapse=more Chick-Fil-A topic]So I did a lot of digging over the past couple hours, because like many people, I'm split on what I think about this.

[collapse=Double collapse :D]Reasons why I'm split:
  • I don't personally support gay marriage; civil unions, et al, seem much more fair game--and make a good deal of sense from a distance.
  • I don't have a problem with homosexuals. People tend to be pretty cool regardless of sexual orientation.
  • I agree the owner of Chick-Fil-A should be able to voice his opinion. Definitely helps that I agree with it though.
  • I don't support hate groups--Chick-Fil-A is purportedly donating to "hate groups" as classified by the Southern Poverty Law Center. (Or "Anti-Gay" groups. Sounds basically the same--This is the major problem for me, and it seems for most people.)

But hey who's the Southern Poverty Law Center? wiki; site

Well it seems like not everyone agrees with what they do, and as the second article briefly mentions, it's not just conservatives like me.

One of the ways to qualify as a hate group is to "knowingly disseminate false information and demonizing propaganda about" [insert minority group here]. And of course the sole proprietor of true information is the SPLC--so disagreeing with something the SPLC has found to be true--or spreading a myth--makes you a hate group.

[collapse=Problems? Examples!](Among these myths is "Gay people are more prone to be mentally ill and to abuse drugs and alcohol."--Yet a few sentences later the organization admits "It is true that LGBT people suffer higher rates of anxiety, depression, and depression-related illnesses and behaviors like alcohol and drug abuse than the general population."--attributing it to stresses of being in the minority group.

Another myth is "No one is born gay."--But again almost immediately "Modern science cannot state conclusively what causes sexual orientation, but a great many studies suggest that it is the result of biological and environmental forces, not a personal 'choice.'" Ah but perhaps they should have phrased this myth differently: 'Being gay is your choice.')[/collapse]
So the SPLC is not exactly consistent in their presentation of truths. But they do have a long history of helping people, and surely some of their "hate groups" deserve to be labelled as such.

But what about this Family Research Council? wiki; site

Lol, ok these guys seem a little more up front about their opinions. But opinions aren't bad things (unless you start to call them facts...) So I checked out a few articles, here's one. So this is a report on a scholarly article that directly disagrees with what the SPLC has found to be irrefutably true (thus making it a hate group-article-thing). It doesn’t have the nicest points to summarize, but it does go through painstaking lengths to explain the prior state of the argument (giving it a pretty fair treatment) and parallel lengths regarding the methodology and significance of the new study (and its conclusions.) The other articles I looked at used copious amounts of footnotes and so forth to give support to their arguments, something I thought was lacking from SPLC’s articles.
[/collapse]
Long story short:
Family Research Council (the "hate group" Chick-Fil-A is donating to) seems to be very meticulous about the content it has on its website, going through huge lengths to make their work credible--and is not what I would call a "hate group".
Southern Poverty Law Center (the group which classifies the FRC as a "hate group") more presumes itself as credible, and had several flaws in the few articles I read.

And all of this is ignoring the fact that if I looked at most business’s donations, I could probably find something I wouldn’t be happy about them funding. And also ignoring deliciousness.[/collapse]

Top Bottom