• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I was thinking that Awaking was a huge sucess in both the west and japan and Fire Emblem owes it's Western sucess to SSB. Most likely though it will be Marth and Lucina OR Chrom. I personally do not care which one,as they are both great characters. I know recently there was a Fire Emblem popularity poll and Lucina was most popula character and Chrom was most popular male character.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I used Sothe in PoR, I never really liked Volke, and also Rolf is the best archer in both games just under-leveled. Meg's growth's are weird that's why I called her that.
But sothe can't class up... Why other than for his cute look would you use him.

Really if you get good level ups any character can be great and any character can be horrible. In my brothers FE8 he used Amelia from when she was a wee little spear carrier and made her into a paladin but at that point she had something like 6 attack. So yeah it's basically luck.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I was thinking that Awaking was a huge sucess in both the west and japan and Fire Emblem owes it's Western sucess to SSB. Most likely though it will be Marth and Lucina OR Chrom. I personally do not care which one,as they are both great characters. I know recently there was a Fire Emblem popularity poll and Lucina was most popula character and Chrom was most popular male character.
I think it's quite likely that we will get at least 3 newcomers from fire emblem. We will have a bigger roster and fire emblem is really getting more prevalent and Is far from a dead series. Closest they were to dead was after radiant dawn but shadow dragon and then the sequel and then now awakening which really brought it out of the fire. I'd say we got at least two more main series games sucking in a row before Nintendo will consider dropping fire emblem. Random rant there sorry. But I do think fire emblem will get three characters

D

Deleted member

Personally I wouldn't mind three newcomers if it means shutting up all of these babies about this bullcrap.
3 new comers, makes the FE roster:

Marth
Ike
Lucina
Chrom
Tharja

or better yet:

Smash Marth
Masked Marth
Pantsless Marth
FE12 Marth
Mahrt

D

Deleted member

Personally I wouldn't mind three newcomers if it means shutting up all of these babies about this bullcrap.
Put in Marth, Ike, Roy, Chrom & Lucina and Anna with Master Knight class and you would fulfill the desire of at least 95% of people in regards to Fire Emblem.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Fuel the fire.

Fire Emblem
· Marth 252
· Ike 202
· Roy 163
· Chrom 92
· Lyn 65
· Lucina 39
· Anna 37
· Black Knight 33
· Robin (FE:A Avatar) 28
· Hector 27
· Ephraim 18
· Eirika 17
· Micaiah 15
· Tharja 15
· Eliwood 13
· Tiki 13
· Caeda 11
· Walhart 8
· Leaf 7
· Celice 6
· Sigurd 5
· Soren 5
· Elincia 4
· Narbarl 2

Out of 300.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I thought Walhart was unpopular? Man, all this FE stuff is confusing. Makes me kind of sad how far down you have to go on that poll until you reach characters that aren't more sword wielders.

On a completely unlikely note, you know which FE character I've liked the most?
"Oh hi. My name is Stefan. I live under the desert, nice to meet you."​

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I voted for Walhart, he's a badass, it's not even a troll vote, I obviously don't expect to see him ever again though, ha ha.

Anyways, I'm now thoroughly convinced that people vote for Chrom because they're sadly misinformed or uninformed about the alternatives, or they're okay with mediocrity and standard, or they're just stubborn.
Well, I shouldn't put it that way, I just wonder why people like him over others, it's nigh inconceivable to me.

Think about it like this, for instance, Anna thread has over twice the responses as the Chrom thread, but Anna's thread has barely more than a thousand views on Chrom. It seems to me people have already accepted Chrom as the inevitable choice and passively support him for no good reason, it's even MORE like the people who don't know anything about FE at all just vote for Chrom because they think he's a cool guy, like I said, uninformed, not even bothering to look at the alternatives and perturbed when one comes up as popular.

I don't know how correct these analytics are, but it seems to be that way.

It's like people who vote straight-ticket without researching the candidates for the sake of an array of silly reasons, it's like non-voting only worse because of the incredible ease and minimal impact of support, and the fact they're actually voting.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I voted for Walhart, he's a badass, it's not even a troll vote, I obviously don't expect to see him ever again though, ha ha.

Anyways, I'm now thoroughly convinced that people vote for Chrom because they're sadly misinformed or uninformed about the alternatives, or they're okay with mediocrity and standard, or they're just stubborn.
Well, I shouldn't put it that way, I just wonder why people like him over others, it's nigh inconceivable to me.

Think about it like this, for instance, Anna thread has over twice the responses as the Chrom thread, but Anna's thread has barely more than a thousand views on Chrom. It seems to me people have already accepted Chrom as the inevitable choice and passively support him for no good reason, it's even MORE like the people who don't know anything about FE at all just vote for Chrom because they think he's a cool guy, like I said, uninformed, not even bothering to look at the alternatives and perturbed when one comes up as popular.

It's like people who vote straight-ticket without researching the candidates for the sake of an array of silly reasons, it's like non-voting only worse because of the incredible ease and minimal impact of support, and the fact they're actually voting.
More people who are uninformed vote for Roy than Chrom.
Anyways, I think its clear you wanted to hate Chrom from the get go so whatever else you had in mind had a chance. There's not much that can stop people from hating something once they decide they are going to hate it. There are plenty of people who legitimately like Chrom.
Of course you'll find a lot of negativity when the topic is in the context of smash but that's because characters are pinned against each other. And people do not easily change sides once an argument ensues. These criticisms of Chrom's character are terribly exaggerated.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is what we always get. We kinda all assembled to the army of the Flare Boy, no everyone is **** talking on Chrom.

DON'T YOU ALL KNOW WHAT LOVE IS??

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Everybody pitted against Ike... GETS NO SYMPATHY FROM ME. </2008>

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
More people who are uninformed vote for Roy than Chrom.
Anyways, I think its clear you wanted to hate Chrom from the get go so whatever else you had in mind had a chance. There's not much that can stop people from hating something once they decide they are going to hate it. There are plenty of people who legitimately like Chrom. Of course you'll find a lot of negativity when the topic is in the context of smash but that's because characters are pinned against each other. And people do not easily change sides once an argument ensues. These criticisms of Chrom's character are terribly exaggerated.
If I hated him I would be in his board posting flames 24/7, hate is seeking for the active destruction of something, and I do not actively seek for the destruction of Chrom, hell, I played FE13 and I like him and wouldn't mind him in, I really haven't seen a good reason to support him, and I really haven't seen a good reason to hate him, that being said there's no real reason to hate anything but what is evil. It's simply my analysis of the data and discussions I've seen.
And yes, I agree that there will be much negativity when characters are pinned against each other, just know I am not one of these negative nancies, and I am open minded but seek for the success those I support rather than the failure of those I don't, so if you want to, let's talk, eh? It's not like changing sides or weighing opinions is a bad thing. The likelihood of changing sides usually depends upon the disposition and personality of the debaters in question.
Like it is said: "Make sure it's the truth they're rejecting, and not your offensive nature." Even though here there's not so much truth as there are simple opinions and favoring.

So, about his character, I'm perfectly fine with it, I rather like the classic Ronin noble character, and supported him before finishing FE13 and reading threads here. But, over all I think Anna has more longevity, uniqueness as in what things she offers to Smash no other sensible choice believably could, relevance and role in game level to Chrom's in the sense that allow her other traits to outpace his, and the aggregate of her roles in all the games she's in match up to Chrom's stature, in my opinion perhaps even higher. Really the only reason I support Lucina over Chrom is because, well there's no good reason for that, I just plain like her better, her character is more kind and intelligent as comparison, making her a nice Ronin Noble Princess (Kinda like Lissa) mix, I just find her personality more charming than Chrom's admittedly cool disposition of brusque/gentle duality and plain nobility.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
What did I just read? @_@
Lure them in with flames and smack them cold with amiability. :troll:
No, but seriously, my first post was kinda knuckle headed and didn't even align with what I said afterwards, sorry if I have confusing, er, posts. I don't not like him, but I don't like him either, it's neutral, I just see his support and :c

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
The short version of MonK4's post as I see it: "I like Chrom just fine, he simply isn't very interesting compared to the alternatives which makes me wonder if people support him mostly because he's the most obvious choice and not because of actual perceived character merits."

That sound about right? If so, I agree. :p

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422

I've already voiced my opinion of Chrom in his discussion thread so you can refer to that and see if I'm alright with 'mediocrity and standardness' or I'm just being plain stubborn. Realistically I think the top 6 characters in Shortiecan's poll are going to be our biggest contenders for the 3rd and 4th spots.

As I have said before my immediate reasons for supporting Chrom is that I truly like his character, personality, and design. He's also the main character of, in my opinion, the best Fire Emblem I've played. (And this Fire Emblem was treated more of an All-Stars Fire Emblem as seen by the DLC). Being the most recent Lord has nothing to do with my support nor should it be anyone's main reason as it is fairly weak in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind seeing Anna or Lyn taking the fourth spot, assuming Roy claims the third, but at least for Anna I want to see Frostwraith put up some thorough and convincing counterarguments on her page before I change my mind. From what I can tell Anna's immediate benefits are character, playstyle, and reoccurring character which are all indeed strong and valid points, from this I don't mind seeing Anna in Smash. In fact I would be excited if we got four Fire Emblem characters even if Chrom doesn't make the cut.

While I agree that some supporters for Chrom might have weaker reasons to support him, the same can be said for just about every character, people might support Lyn or Anna simply because Smash needs more females, that we lack female swordfighters, etc. which to me is an equally weak reason to support a character.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
The short version of MonK4's post as I see it: "I like Chrom just fine, he simply isn't very interesting compared to the alternatives which makes me wonder if people support him mostly because he's the most obvious choice and not because of actual perceived character merits."
That sound about right? If so, I agree. :p
Right, however there is one offhanded point out of the many offhanded points I would like to bring up which is not debatable because I am da bess an da smartus evur an I kno mroe dan alla yews combind.

In the Martial Arts of Europe (I study under the Association for Renaissance Martial Arts) are employed in a variety of ways when dealing with sword fighting characters in Smash as it is, but there are many, MANY areas which, due to Smash's nature, cannot and will not be explored, and even some which are simple to implement and forgotten forms. One such grand form is the special way one would wield and use a Flamberge, and in relation to other foreign weapons, a Kris. I view the Levin sword as not only the optimal choice for opening up this unexplored area, but for the allowance of a multitude of other attacks which NO other candidate (besides Robin, Tharja etc.) can believably offer; magic. Not only that, but I have studied extensively in many oriental arts under staff usage, and Anna is a perfect excuse for all of these things.

I've already voiced my opinion of Chrom in his discussion thread so you can refer to that and see if I'm alright with 'mediocrity and standardness' or I'm just being plain stubborn. Realistically I think the top 6 characters in Shortiecan's poll are going to be our biggest contenders for the 3rd and 4th spots.
As I have said before my immediate reasons for supporting Chrom is that I truly like his character, personality, and design. He's also the main character of, in my opinion, the best Fire Emblem I've played. (And this Fire Emblem was treated more of an All-Stars Fire Emblem as seen by the DLC). Being the most recent Lord has nothing to do with my support nor should it be anyone's main reason as it is fairly weak in my opinion.
I wouldn't mind seeing Anna or Lyn taking the fourth spot, assuming Roy claims the third, but at least for Anna I want to see Frostwraith put up some thorough and convincing counterarguments on her page before I change my mind. From what I can tell Anna's immediate benefits are character, playstyle, and reoccurring character which are all indeed strong and valid points, from this I don't mind seeing Anna in Smash. In fact I would be excited if we got four Fire Emblem characters even if Chrom doesn't make the cut.
While I agree that some supporters for Chrom might have weaker reasons to support him, the same can be said for just about every character, people might support Lyn or Anna simply because Smash needs more females, that we lack female swordfighters, etc. which to me is an equally weak reason to support a character.

Well, all right, did you see my second post? :p
Anyways, yes, I agree, Frostwraith needs to step up Frostwraith's game, and comb through the Anna thread to put the arguments Frostwraith sees fit into the OP. It's all Frostwraith's fault! That's it! All right! We need a better media for Anna! (No but seriously, Frostwraith, if you read this, I understand your position, it'd be a tough thing to do, no pressure and you're doing great already! <3)
And I agree that gender is a weak reason.
Oh, another thing I think I should mention, my views were limited to some, not all Chrom supporters, I'll go check it out and see if you're in that group of, as Gingerbread Man said, 'legitimate' supporters.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Anna may be in nearly every game but shes not prominent. Too often people look at the FE series, see Anna and say, there's somebody truly represents the series. But no, she doesn't. I know plenty of people who played at least one FE game without knowing who Anna is or that she even exists (with the exception of awakening). Being in a menu or a rarely used tutorial is by no means sets you ahead of a protagonist. Shes an easter egg, who I agree deserves at least a nod to, but not as a character. That's too much for somebody who has never been in the spot light of their own series.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Anna may be in nearly every game but shes not prominent. Too often people look at the FE series, see Anna and say, there's somebody truly represents the series. But no, she doesn't. I know plenty of people who played at least one FE game without knowing who Anna is or that she even exists (with the exception of awakening). Being in a menu or a rarely used tutorial is by no means sets you ahead of a protagonist. Shes an easter egg, who I agree deserves at least a nod to, but not as a character. That's too much for somebody who has never been in the spot light of their own series.
Yes, but as I said, one should consider the aggregate of her roles. At least I didn't say she 'represents the series', I would delegate that more to the gameplay than any character.
Not to mention in Awakening she is the face of DLC, the Outrealm gate, Merchants, is a good character with good stats, and stars in quite a few DLC, that being said Chrom is a major proponent of the DLC as well.
I'd say her parts all amount to being of equal consideration of the protagonist of one game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
SmashBoards Fire Emblem support in a nutshell

>Hating on Chrom
>Praising on Anna

Seriously...? And we think we're better than ******* cause of WHAT exactly?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
SmashBoards Fire Emblem support in a nutshell
>Hating on Chrom
>Praising on Anna
Seriously...? And we think we're better than Gay***s cause of WHAT exactly?
>Hate
>Praise
Such harsh words, Diddy, you get more brazen/trolly and/or silly every day.
Did you even read, bro?
And whats a Gay***? Oh, Gamefaqs.
Diddy, stahp.
And wait, did you say all SmashBoards FE support is like that? No way, you must be having delusions.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
@Ginger: Agreed, for sure. It could be fun if she had an important role at all, but "Easter egg" really is the best way to describe her. She's fun to see for FE players, but in no way represents the series.

Fire Emblem seriously needs a reoccurring playable Manakete, Laguz, Branded or otherwise immortal character with a fun design and personality. Like, some sort of jocular divine oracle who is determined to help each generation's hero find their destiny so they make an appearance in every game.

@MonK4: So, in short... "The things that differentiate European sword styles in real life cannot be well-represented in a game like Smash, therefore they should focus on non-European styles instead. Anna, for instance, could use her sword in an Asian-style in addition to using non-sword weapons like a staff."
Is that... is that one right? :p

I agree that the different sword styles are hard to represent meaningfully in Smash, but I definitely feel like the way to go is to simply pick a non-sword user. There's nothing in FE that really indicates that Anna would be using a non-European fighting style anyway... but I guess I'm all for artistic license, and perhaps Anna picked up an alternate combat style as a traveling merchant. Still, they should just go for an entirely different weapon.​

Anna: Seen here employing an ancient and mystical Javanese sword technique.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
>Hate
>Praise
Such harsh words, Diddy, you get more brazen/trolly and/or silly every day.
Did you even read, bro?
And whats a Gay***? Oh, Gamefaqs.
Diddy, stahp.
And wait, did you say all SmashBoards FE support is like that? No way, you must be having delusions.
Well yeah I like to overexaggerate. Anyways, I find the Chrom bashing whilst calling Anna a good addition more than silly.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
@MonK4: So, in short... "The things that differentiate European sword styles in real life cannot be well-represented in a game like Smash, therefore they should focus on non-European styles instead. Anna, for instance, could use her sword in an Asian-style in addition to using non-sword weapons like a staff."
Is that... is that one right? :p
I agree that the different sword styles are hard to represent meaningfully in Smash, but I definitely feel like the way to go is to simply pick a non-sword user. There's nothing in FE that really indicates that Anna would be using a non-European fighting style anyway... but I guess I'm all for artistic license, and perhaps Anna picked up an alternate combat style as a traveling merchant. Still, they should just go for an entirely different weapon.
The Flamberge is European. And what I mean is that even in the limited capacity Smash can represent fighting and technique there's still uncovered territory which can easily be covered by Anna.
I'd actually like the Levin sword used in a Zweihänder format, though the Levin sword doesn't exactly have a super prominent hilt. It'd make Anna a cooler Ike (though Ike is also lacking in many ways to a two handed sword wielder in real life as myself) with MAGIC attacks!
OH WAIT I FORGOT SHE HOLDS SWORDS BACKWARDS! That makes things more suited to the dagger side, Kris! Which makes it more JAVANESE. Let me tell you there's a lot of unexplored territory there. Oh, and did I mention MAGIC? And STAFFS?
Anna is also the one that could most believably get away with 'artistic license', fo sho.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Hehe. Yeah, if she wielded the Levin sword with a reverse-grip she would immediately seem more interesting than a lot of FE characters with that combination of a novel sword-style and storm magic.
She could wield the Levin sword with a reverse-grip and two-handed zweihänder style... giving her perhaps one of the least practical stances ever, hehe. That'd be hilarious.

@FallKoopa: The Levin Sword she's shown using is a kris blade, and those originate from Indonesia. If she holds her swords backwards, then she definitely wouldn't be using an Indonesian technique (since I don't think any culture ever focused primarily on reverse-grip since it's objectively a worse stance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom