• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

.....that was no Blaster.

That was an over the shoulder launcher with a different design.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Except lyn has an obvious fighting style. Fox's was for the most part left a mystery so there was a lot of freedom when it came to his moveset.

D

Deleted member

Except lyn has an obvious fighting style. Fox's was for the most part left a mystery so there was a lot of freedom when it came to his moveset.
This "obvious fighting style" is left open to where she can use two swords for some attacks if she needs to, namely, the twin swords Mani Katti and Sol Katti.

For example, she can simply hold one sword, the Sol Katti (seeing as she needs a hand free for items and grabs), and primarily attacks with that alone, while some moves she attacks with the Sol Katti, then unsheathes the Mani Katti with her other arm to strike a second time, then sheathes the Mani Katti once more.

I may actually start to completely support Lyn as an option if she would fight like that....(though not before Roy returns. Chrom is give or take for me, as I at most would be neutral on him depending on how HE would fight.)

Does Lyn use double swords in Awakening? She doesn't use double swords in Blazing Sword iirc. Ah, she also uses a bow. (Link clone :troll:)
Using similar weapons doesn't not make someone automatically a clone but the types of swords that Lyn and Lloyd user are pretty much similar to each other, and we really should only have one to save room for OTHER types of sword users.

Like Isa (Gun-Sword), Matthew (Sword & Earth Psyenergy), Ghirahim (Sword & Dark Magic), Takamaru (Samurai Sword), Magnus (Giant Sword), Travis (Beam Katana & Wrestling Moves), etc.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I think some people will find this information useful or just interesting. I'm posting sales. I couldn't find info for every game so just take what I have.
These all were last updated February 23, 2013. They all should be accurate except for Awakening sales in North America which probably has changed a bit since then.

----------------------------------------------------Sales (Millions)
Game -------------------------------Japan ------North America ------Europe ------Worldwide
Monshou no Nazo (94) ----------------.70 ---------------------- -------------- ---------------.70
Seisen no Keifu (96)------------------ .58--------------------- -------------- ---------------- .58
Thracia 776 (99)---------------------- .26--------------------- -------------- - ---------------.26
Sword of Seals (02)-------------------- .39-------------------- -------------- - ---------------.39
Fire Emblem 7 (03)------------------- .29------------------- .49 ----------.18--------------- .97
The Sacred Stones (04)--------------- .30------------------- .42---------- .16--------------- .89
Path of Radiance (05) -----------------.16------------------- .29---------- .08-------------- .54
Radiant Dawn (07)-------------------- .17-------------------- .25--------- .02 ---------------.46
Shadow Dragon (08)------------------- .27------------------- .25---------- .01-------------- .56
Fire Emblem 12 (10)------------------ .27---------------------- -------------- --------------- .27
Awakening (12)------------------------ .49------------------- .26------------- --------------- .78

source: http://www.vgchartz.com/

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Vgchartz is not reliable from what I've heard.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Vgchartz is not reliable from what I've heard.
Its hard to find reliable sales. Numbers don't need to be exact. Whats important is relationship and change in sales. I have read that they have been unreliable in the past but it shouldn't be too bad.

Also from what I've read recent titles are the ones they have problems with (possibly awakening) other older titles are just fine.

I'll keep looking to see what else i can find.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The Tellius games sold rather poorly compared to the rest of the series. Why are/were they unpopular?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
First international console Fire Emblems. Their bodies where just not ready yet.

For the record, the Tellius saga where one of my favorite FE games.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The Tellius games sold rather poorly compared to the rest of the series. Why are/were they unpopular?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Probably a mixture of things. With America, FE9 had to deal with the Gamecube, while FE10 had to deal with mixed reviews and Mario Galaxy's release.

With Japan, there's a general downturn on FE sales so my only guess is it has to do with the systems (FE10 came out a lot early in Japan than it did here). With FE13 doing better because it's huge marketing campaign, being on 3DS (arguably the most popular system there at the moment), and being a sequel to FE3 (the previous best seller and highest reviewed), maybe also fanservice.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, I was wondering why almost all of the NA releases of FE games sold more compared to Japan. And even though with the trend of unimpressive sales, they still kept making games.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
The tellius games have the best story if you ask me. I'd say the biggest problem is the console. Perhaps I'm just used to it but taking up the entire household entertainment system to play fire emblem doesn't feel right. I'd like to take it with me like I'm reading a book. On the other hand a lot of reviews criticized the games for being brutally hard. Probably why they added casual mode afterward.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
On the other hand a lot of reviews criticized the games for being brutally hard. Probably why they added casual mode afterward.
That Permanent death feature.... It gets really frustrating sometimes.
Fire Emblem has traditionally been on the consoles. That's why they wanted to make another console game, perhaps.

But I agree, the handhelds are the way to go.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
That's because North America is far, far bigger market than Japan is.
You know, for the longest time I always thought that FE is big in Japan, like Monster Hunter or something...until I actually did some research on it lol. I guess I'm just surprised that the sales are lower than I expected.

Pretty sure FE12 didn't come overseas since both FE10 and 11 sold poorly over here.

I remember reading that on an FE site one time and loved it, but lost the link to it afterwards. Too bad it's only 4 chapters.

Maybe after the success of FE13, they will

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Loved Gaiden, even though I thought the grinding was a tad annoying. This and other Black Sheep titles (Mario 2/Zelda 2, not Metroid 2 though), really deserve some attention. Alm actually become one of my most favorite lords, after Ike of course.

Imported the game boxed and played in on my NES. The battery save didn't work (which I'll work on fixing on of these days), so I ended up leaving my NES on for about a week with no break. When I went to sleep I was always very worried that my NES would overheat and catch on fire. :laugh:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I do enjoy Gaiden a bit, or at least what little I've played of it. I have the same problems with it that I have with Mystery, which are due to how old it is. I really think it would be cool for it to get a remake, though I would prefer a combined FE6/7 remake first.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The Elibe canon is really popular in the west. I'll love it if they release a sequel/prequel/remake.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The Elibe canon is really popular in the west. I'll love it if they release a sequel/prequel/remake.
I'd love either an Awakening-sytle sequel or a combined remake of FE6 and 7. Not entirely sure how combining the two would work: you COULD add a relationship system, but quite frankly there aren't enough characters in FE6 who are children of characters in FE7, but I suppose they could add some new characters(I think Shadow Dragon and New Mystery show that Is is willing to do this). If not, though, I could see it just being like FE3 where the two games are separate.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdNYgHiNg7g

This one is actually one of my favorites from Awakening. I can't help but think they will add Chrom simply to continue advertiseing for the game. So i'm sure several songs from awakening will be included
I'm not sure I would call it advertising. Awakening came out in japan back in 2012 and recently in North America. Its 2013 and we still haven't seen anything in SSB4. The ideal period for promoting a specific game would have come and gone by the time smashbros is released.

If awakening gets a rep or two (I really think Robin/the tactician would be cool) it would be because of the game's success. I can't find any sales that include both the physical copy, digital download and bundle but I'm fairly certain that it has made it above 1 million, making it the top selling game in the series. If not then it probably will.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I thought this of bit info from Wikipedia would be relevant:
Wikipedia said:
The game's Japanese release sold well, with it being the fastest selling entry in the series since detailed weekly tallies began. The game sold 242,600 units in its first week of sales in Japan, selling 81.63% of its original shipment, although the sales count does not include the Fire Emblem Awakening 3DS bundle, according to Media Create. Media Create also cited Nintendo's promotion of the title and mechanics as reasons for the higher sales. Additionally, in September 2012, six months after its Japanese release, Nintendo reported that 1.2 million units of downloadable content had been sold, bringing in an additional 380 million yen (about $4.8 million).
Source

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still think Chrom would be the first FE character that they include, considering Roy is a DLC character in Awakening, and any casual player who plays smash and sees Roy instead of Chrom would be like "Why Roy and not Chrom? He wasn't even the main character!". Remember, this game pretty much has to appeal to both audiences.

Like i've said before, I'd prefer them both in the game. I just think Chrom will be added first.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I very much agree with above statement. Yet, I also want Roy back. But honestly, as long as IKE stays, I'm cool.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I still think Chrom would be the first FE character that they include, considering Roy is a DLC character in Awakening, and any casual player who plays smash and sees Roy instead of Chrom would be like "Why Roy and not Chrom? .
Chances are that casual players would be much more inclined to know who Roy is than Chrom considering how much better Melee sold over FE13.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Chances are that casual players would be much more inclined to know who Roy is than Chrom considering how much better Melee sold over FE13.
That's not my point. Casual players that, for example, bought Awakening and are more familiar with Chrom, won't understand why Roy was included over Chrom. This has nothing to do with Melee, as casual gamers who weren't into Smash at the time of Melee's release will even know Roy was in Melee in the first place.

Like I said, I'd like to see both, but I don't see Roy getting in over Chrom.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If there are 3 FE characters, yeah I see Chrom as more likely than Roy as well. As I don't expect Roy would get in over Ike. And he shouldn't. With 4 characters though, Roy is pretty much a given.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
That's not my point. Casual players that, for example, bought Awakening and are more familiar with Chrom, won't understand why Roy was included over Chrom. This has nothing to do with Melee, as casual gamers who weren't into Smash at the time of Melee's release will even know Roy was in Melee in the first place.

Like I said, I'd like to see both, but I don't see Roy getting in over Chrom.
What if Sakurai simply does not deem Chrom interesting enough to warrant being placed in?

This exactly reminds me of Pokemon discussions. Everyone said Sakurai HAD TO include someone from Black/White due to how successful those games were (sold more than any other Pokemon games since Gold/Silver), now most people are cool with the idea of Mewtwo being the only "new" Pokemon added in.

Anecdotally, everyone I know who has played FE13 seems dour on the idea of Chrom being in because "three blue-haired guys for FE is kind of redundant". Its even worse amongst people who have not played FE13.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have not played FE13, and I see no problem with the three blondbluedeys and the redhead. They could ever start a soap series called that.

However you wanna put it, Marth and Ike both deserve to stay, and Chrom deserves a spot as a newcomer.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think not including a character based on appearance is a terrible reason not to include them. That's like saying Roy can't get in because he uses a sword, just like the other three (Marth, Chrom, Ike).

It isn't necessary to include Chrom, but it would make more sense to include him if they are going to put in Roy, at least to people who play Awakening. (not everyone necessarily)

If Sakurai doesn't think he's interesting, well then ok. He doesn't get in. But that isn't necessarily something that can't be used against Roy either. Mentioning Pokemon, I see no reason why the original Pokemon can't rep the series well as it is. I'd rather them stay away from Black and White and just put Mewtwo in, and I always felt that way. I see what you're getting at, but the possible characters in Pokemon outweigh FE by a lot. Not that it really matters either. Meh.

Hopefully it doesn't matter and they both get in. That would be preferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom