• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Personally, I rather have no Awakening rep at all, when I first came to Smashboards, I wanted Lucina, mostly for how important, interesting, and bad***, yet, even though I still find her character really awesome, I just rather have a more significant, commonly received character. The Awakening 3 didn't really do that for me. So, personally, I'm saying just Marth and Ike are all we need. If we need a newcomer, maybe Roy/Lyn/Anna/*Insert important non-Awakening rep her*. I know people say Awakening saved the series so it needs a character, yet I feel they could be shown with a few other things besides a character, hey it's got a stage right now.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I was just about to mention that Arena Ferox actually indicates Awakening'll get a rep. Marth doesn't count.
Not necessarily. Arena Ferox doesn't imply a Fire Emblem: Awakening. Remember Smashville in Brawl, but no Animal Crossing character.

A stage from a certain game/series doesn't imply a related character, same for the other way around, as there are characters with no home stage, such as Marth and Roy in Melee and R.O.B. in Brawl.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I do find the factor of Fire Emblem Awakening pulling out Fire Emblem from hiatus being the reason we're forced to stomach these characters to be kind of weak. Doesn't mean jack squat in the end if all it leads to is highly redundant characters.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Not necessarily. Arena Ferox doesn't imply a Fire Emblem: Awakening. Remember Smashville in Brawl, but no Animal Crossing character.

A stage from a certain game/series doesn't imply a related character, same for the other way around, as there are characters with no home stage, such as Marth and Roy in Melee and R.O.B. in Brawl.
On the Melee point, I humbly point to the planned but unfinished Akaneia stage.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'd rather represent Fire Emblem as a whole with our in-series mascot Anna.
That's not to say a Lord doesn't represent Fire Emblem, Lords are a huge part of the essence of the series.
Or Tiki, that would be pretty cool because dragons *coughRidleycough* and she has strong story significance across multiple games.
Marth, Ike, Anna please. If anyone else, Roy too, he should totally get back in before Chrom.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Also, Jake > Anna.
Here's something I've always wanted to ask you, Diddy.

You say that you don't want a character (Anna)... yet you want a character whose entire existence resolves around her (Jake). Can you explain the logic please?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I was just about to mention that Arena Ferox actually indicates Awakening'll get a rep. Marth doesn't count.
That means nothing, we had an Animal Crossing stage and we didn't have a single Animal Crossing character....

In another matter, I thought off that Ike can be a good protagonist for an action-RPG spin-off for Fire Emblem, and the story should be done about his adventures after Radiant Dawn....it would be so awesome and it could make Fire Emblem much more open for the public, they can even apply motion controls with tactical game play like in Skyward Sword.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Here's something I've always wanted to ask you, Diddy.

You say that you don't want a character (Anna)... yet you want a character whose entire existence resolves around her (Jake). Can you explain the logic please?
You always wanted to ask me this? Haven't really been too vocal about this actually. Have only stated it as a joke.

However, I do feel the Anna fanbase is overrating her cause of her many appearances, as Jake obviously tops them. He's been playable far more often, even in the very first Fire Emblem.

Don't worry, it's just a joke though.

Or, isn't it? :evil:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
You always wanted to ask me this? Haven't really been too vocal about this actually. Have only stated it as a joke.
Eh, fair enough. To be fair, you mentioned the idea fairly early on in the Anna's thread's life, so to be honest, I actually did think you supported Jake over Anna. You have to be careful with jokes on the internet. Poe's Law and all that.

I guess the main reason people prefer Anna over Jake is that people actually care about Anna, but nobody cares about Jake. I mean, outside of being a womanizer and Anna, does Jake even have a personality? Seriously, I've looked for Jakes dialogue, and everyone revolves around Anna and/or the secret shop.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He's officially a Ballisitcan.

Ballista fire was in Castle Seige in Brawl.

This is no conspiricy, Jake is in Smash. :reverse:

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
I do find the factor of Fire Emblem Awakening pulling out Fire Emblem from hiatus being the reason we're forced to stomach these characters to be kind of weak. Doesn't mean jack squat in the end if all it leads to is highly redundant characters.
I see what you mean and I'm crossing my fingers for no Awakening reps, but at this point, I fear that Awakening may have eclipsed almost everything that was there beforehand. Intelligent Systems probably begged Sakurai to include as much Awakening content as possible to entertain this new-found fan base.

Hong

The Strongest
The sword style isn't anything specialized or overly unique like Marth, Ike, Lyn, Lucina, Eliwood, Raven, Joshua very distinct styles (just to name a wide variety of more exciting fighters, even if we're just sticking to swords.)
The moment you list Eliwood as a unique or interesting character is the moment I have accepted you just despise Robin too much to be able to judge her fairly.
I care little about the magic because, sadly, ranged characters in smash have a history of not being done justice. It's why I'm hesitant to support a magic-based FE user - just look at the treatment Zelda got.
Give them a chance.

Both Zelda and Mewtwo have good concepts as a spell casters. The moves are good in concept, but not implementation. You could keep all the same moves and the character's fighting style, but tweak some variables and suddenly they would be balanced.

Casters are not the only ones who suffer from the fact Sakurai does not know how to balance a game. For example, the director also clearly does not know how to make slow characters work in a fast-paced environment. With the exception of Snake and Dedede (MAYBE Ganny in SSBM), slow characters have always struggled to contend in Smash Bros.

This time, things will be different. This time, balance is a priority. In addition, we have people who actually design fighters balancing the game. What is more, there is a good chance we will see balance updates this time around.

I would give them a chance. No character should be written off just because you think they can't make them viable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Donkey Kong would've been a fine heavy character in Brawl if King Dedede didn't have that ******** chaingrab on him... :urg:

Hong

The Strongest
So far, Bowser is looking great. In the footage we have seen thus far, Link and Samus have faster attacks as well. I am feeling optimistic. We haven't seen much of DK, but I hope he also gets a fair treatment.

For what it's worth, as far as projectile fighters go I would say Link in SSB64, Samus in SSBM and Snake in SSBB were all fair contenders.

Before I am tossed into the wolf pit for saying Link in SSB64 was good: In that game, the difference between the best and worst character became smaller and smaller as the playerbase evolved. Of course Samus was still awful and Pikachu was still ridiculous, but everyone still had some signature advantages, and I still happily play Link to this day.

It is a shame he has somehow gotten worse and worse with each entry. :(

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Japanese Smash 64 Link was apperantly really overpowered. Not near Pikachu levels, but significantly better than in other version, or so I heard.

Am still thinking Melee was his best entry. Brawl was easily his worst.

DK is said to be really powerful as of now in this game. But Sakurai said he might nerf him a little if needed. :rolleyes: Am hoping he'll be good. DK and Ike are easily my most favorite heavy characters in the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd like it if Ike got a projectile based on SSB64 Link's Boomerang in form of a Tomahawk. :ike:

Hong

The Strongest
The first part of Aether should heal Ike based on damage done, and it should be followed up with an attack that breaks shields.:ike:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The first part of Aether should heal Ike based on damage done, and it should be followed up with an attack that breaks shields.:ike:
I really like this idea actually! Aether should also look more flashy.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
FYI, I was talking about Eliwood's Rapier animations in FE7, which were flashy as all hell. It's part of the long list of reasons I dropped FE6. When Roy is a lackluster version of *Eliwood*, your game has issues.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Can't even make the excuse that Chrom was the first Lord I've ever encountered, because by technically standards that honer belongs to Marth from Super Smash Bros. Melee, or if we're talking solely by the standpoint of Fire Emblem, Lyndis. As such, I have zero bias for Chrom in that regard.

Also, lol, Chrom being badass.
Hey when you can stand literally anywhere and make the wind blow your cape, then you can tell me Chrom isn't a badass.

I mean really, on the final boss when you're getting swarmed by enemies, and he's all like, "ANYTHING CAN CHANGE!" it's ****ing epic. Don't even give me that ****.

I've come to grips with the fact that Chrom is likely to be similar to Ike or Marth, which is why I'd prefer Marth and Ike to stay. Although it's mainly because I've started Path of Radiance and love Ike to death. He's great.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Hey when you can stand literally anywhere and make the wind blow your cape, then you can tell me Chrom isn't a badass.

I mean really, on the final boss when you're getting swarmed by enemies, and he's all like, "ANYTHING CAN CHANGE!" it's ****ing epic. Don't even give me that ****.

I've come to grips with the fact that Chrom is likely to be similar to Ike or Marth, which is why I'd prefer Marth and Ike to stay. Although it's mainly because I've started Path of Radiance and love Ike to death. He's great.
That line and his talk with Lucina are two of my favorite moments in that game :grin:.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Donkey Kong would've been a fine heavy character in Brawl if King Dedede didn't have that ******** chaingrab on him... :urg:
I know that feeling.

We get an Donkey Kong that feels fun to play as, especially being one of the few veterans that benefited from the mechanics of Brawl, and that's killed off by being nasty chain grab bait. Him and Bowser.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I know that feeling.

We get an Donkey Kong that feels fun to play as, especially being one of the few veterans that benefited from the mechanics of Brawl, and that's killed off by being nasty chain grab bait. Him and Bowser.
Brawl DK just played so damn right. Easily one of the most fun characters to play as, and look what ruins him so simply...

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I found the Awakening Endgame was too easy, even with enemies spawning every turn, it was just too easy, just get near Grima and he really isn't that hard. A really fun and challenging endgame was in PoR, I won't spoil as I know Scoliosis recently started the game.

I hope they find a way to nerf chain-grabs as it isn't to use or be caught. Sure Falco and IC might lose there edge, but there are plenty of other ways a character can be viable.

Hong

The Strongest
I found the Awakening Endgame was too easy, even with enemies spawning every turn, it was just too easy, just get near Grima and he really isn't that hard. A really fun and challenging endgame was in PoR, I won't spoil as I know Scoliosis recently started the game.
The game doesn't have any challenge after Ch 3.

The pairing system is too much. It absolutely trivializes a number of mechanics, such as speed penalties. What is more is it makes Fire Emblem more volatile than it already is; the difference between an attack and an attack followed up by a dual strike, is immense. I LOVE the concept of visibly having the characters fight together, but Dual strikes should only be dealing like maybe half damage, and the base stat bonuses are unnecessary. Getting bonuses to stats like atk, def, avoid, hit, etc., was already more than enough. Simply having the characters able to stack without the Rescue penalties and restrictions of the past is huge.

Awakening, like Thracia 776, is largely fake difficulty. The only thing that will kill you, besides Counter (usually by someone who initiated the attack), are reinforcements. As it stands, it is a memory game. I am all for enemy reinforcements forcing the player to have to respond and adapt, but vague text hints are not sufficient enough telegraphing. Sometimes the game doesn't even grant you that. Either have them appear and not attack until next turn (maybe have them not give XP), or have some kind of warning graphic that suggests where they could come from.
Having fliers that can attack up to 10 cells away appear on a map that is only 16 cells wide, with enough speed to double healers, is a bit much. I fully anticipated that flying units would appear from the side of the screen, and walled off my healers, and Lissa still died because they had Spears. :(

It just upsets me. Path of Radiance is by far the best designed FE as of recent as far as difficulty is concerned. The Maniac difficulty found on the Japanese version is what Lunatic should have been modelled after.
I hope they find a way to nerf chain-grabs as it isn't to use or be caught. Sure Falco and IC might lose there edge, but there are plenty of other ways a character can be viable.
Oh, I am sure Falco will be fine if he lost something. Having the fastest vertical speed, one of the best spikes, and the best projectile is already more than enough. I am not sure how Falco's blaster has remained as it has for two games. I think Fox's blaster in SSB64 did it right: It was spaced out in such a way that you could just barely weave through it as the majority of the cast, but it still gave Fox a lot of control.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The game doesn't have any challenge after Ch 3.

The pairing system is too much. It absolutely trivializes a number of mechanics, such as speed penalties. What is more is it makes Fire Emblem more volatile than it already is; the difference between an attack and an attack followed up by a dual strike, is immense. I LOVE the concept of visibly having the characters fight together, but Dual strikes should only be dealing like maybe half damage, and the base stat bonuses are unnecessary. Getting bonuses to stats like atk, def, avoid, hit, etc., was already more than enough. Simply having the characters able to stack without the Rescue penalties and restrictions of the past is huge.

Awakening, like Thracia 776, is largely fake difficulty. The only thing that will kill you, besides Counter (usually by someone who initiated the attack), are reinforcements. As it stands, it is a memory game. I am all for enemy reinforcements forcing the player to have to respond and adapt, but vague text hints are not sufficient enough telegraphing. Sometimes the game doesn't even grant you that. Either have them appear and not attack until next turn (maybe have them not give XP), or have some kind of warning graphic that suggests where they could come from.
Having fliers that can attack up to 10 cells away appear on a map that is only 16 cells wide, with enough speed to double healers, is a bit much. I fully anticipated that flying units would appear from the side of the screen, and walled off my healers, and Lissa still died because they had Spears. :(

It just upsets me. Path of Radiance is by far the best designed FE as of recent as far as difficulty is concerned. The Maniac difficulty found on the Japanese version is what Lunatic should have been modelled after.
Oh, I am sure Falco will be fine if he lost something. Having the fastest vertical speed, one of the best spikes, and the best projectile is already more than enough. I am not sure how Falco's blaster has remained as it has for two games. I think Fox's blaster in SSB64 did it right: It was spaced out in such a way that you could just barely weave through it as the majority of the cast, but it still gave Fox a lot of control.
True on the first part, but I hardly ever used the Pair Up system in my first run in Awakening, mostly because I wasn't sure if it was effective when I first played. I also didn't know reaping boxes existed during my first run. Yet, for some reason it was still a little underwhelming.

Yeah, reinforcements are the bane of most players existence as they always have a chance to move once they spawn in, making an area you made sure was safe for healer or etc, not anymore. At least Awakening, sometimes hinted where some enemies would spawn with the forts and stairs. I remember one time I was playing FE7, I was playing Chapter 26, not knowing about when Vaida appeared and she easily one-shoted Lyn with full health, making me have to restart the chapter. :urg:

Yep, Falco has many other pros, but some people, recently I've been playing with, disregard it entirely, and just chaingrab to death, it isn't the most fun, as I prefer to mix things up rather than spam.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, what does everybody think about the open-ended overworld feature found in Sacred Stones and Awakening?
Personally, I wish they'd keep it.

Arena is fine and all, but I much prefer grinding at my own pace.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So, what does everybody think about the open-ended overworld feature found in Sacred Stones and Awakening?
It's fine as long as the map isn't accessible in moments of the story when it doesn't make sense(looking at you, Awakening chapter 9 through 11 :glare:).

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
It can be fun but I don't prefer it. It makes you're overall strategy for going through a game redundant as you can simply iron out weaker characters with risen matches. In other games you can't be as careless with your distribution of exp and it can be pretty challenging training a weak unit later on.
Also, in other games, you had to use multiple play-throughs to use and get to know every character, making each save unique and different. I suppose marriages/ children accomplish that in their own way.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't think grinding belongs in Fire Emblem.

Much like with permanent death, I like how the series emphasizes making the most out of each chapter. How effectively you complete a chapter can drastically affect the next. If you suddenly decided to use someone you got 10 chapters earlier and they are having a hard time catching up, I can't honestly feel the game is at fault.

As such I don't like arenas, either. I would prefer if arenas as well as other grinding opportunities were entirely removed. In addition, I like the current staff XP formula, which causes staves to grant less XP for every time they are used on a map. Severely hampers boss grinding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom