• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You Cant Run Elite4 Where Did All The Money Go Into Hershey's Cookie And Creme(oc3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
Plairnkk's Oc3 Breakdown!

Hi guys!!!!! How are you all doing? I bet really well if your name is Ken or Manacloud.

Who wants to get together and break down the Oc3 prize pot? Oh, I do, I do!!

So here we go. There were 280 entrants in Oc3. The entry fee was $75 if you registered online, $100 on the door. But hey, I'll be nice. I'm just going to assume everyone only paid $75.

280 participants x $75 = $21,000.

Okay so that's a solid $21,000 in the pot.

Now i'm going to be nice and not add in any money gained from selling Tshirts or from spectator passes or donations, even though I know they gained money that way. So let's just try to break down this $21,000.

Event Payouts:

Singles
First place: Pc Chris: $1200
Second place: M2K: $600
Third place:Chu: $300

Singles payout: $2100

Teams
First place: King+Isai: $1200 - 600 a piece
Second place: Ken+Bombsoldier: $600 - 300 a piece
Third place: SS+Tang: $300 - 150 a piece

Teams payout: $2100

Total event payout: $4200

Recap: $4200/$21,000

Venue:

So I must say, there is no way in hell that venue cost $6k for 3 days. That's a blatant lie. But hey, let's pretend it does. (Note, the *pound* 2 venue cost $900 for 2 days)

Recap: $10200/$21,000

Food:

Food for two days at *pound* 2 costed me $500, so i'll just go out on a limb and say 3 days worth of food for this tournament cost $2k.

Recap: $12,200/$21,000

Bombsoldier and Disc plane tickets:

After asking plenty of sources, an average ticket from US to Japan usually costs $1000. So lets be fair, and place the prices at $1,500 for each tickets.

Bombsoldier+Disc tickets (which we really shouldn't be paying for anyway) : $3000

Recap: $15,200/$21,000

Okay so...

I've grossly overpriced everything here, and there still seems to somehow, be $5800 missing. Hmmm, Manacloud, Ken, any input here? You guys should post some documented proof as to where the money went just so myself, the rest of the smash community, and more more importantly, those who won the prizes can see why exactly at the biggest smash tournament ever they got such poor prizes

THIS IS A ****ING PROTEST TO DEMAND M2K TO GET HIS MONEY BACK AND TO GIVE PC MORE MONEY FOR 1ST. AND FOR WHOM EVER SAID THAT IF PPL ARE JUST THINKING ABOUT THE MONEY FOR TOUNREIS CAN KISS MY *** PPL ARE SPENDING ALOT OF ****ING MONEY IN A GAME THAT YOU CAN GET GAYED, GRANTED ITS FUN BUT IN THE END YOU STILL NEED COMPENSATION FOR YOUR TIME AND THE MONEY YOU SPENT ON IT. SO BEN *******S OR MANADICK YOU CAN CLOSE THIS THREAD LIKE YOU DID THE OTHER ONE BUT I AM SURE OTHER PPL WILL SUPPORT ME IN JUST KEEP MAKING NEW THREADS TO PROTEST AGAINST THIS ****ING SCAM OF A TOUNREY. I AM GLAD I DIDNT GO BECAUSE THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN **** IF I WOULD HAVE SEEN HOW MUCH M2K AND PC GOT FROM THAT TOUNREY EVERYONE KNOWS THAT ****. AND ****ING PPL WAS ASKING ME TO COME THIS IS WHY I STAY HOME THE ONLY CALI TOUNREYS I WILL GO TO IS EVO OR TG SINCE TG IS DEAD FOR NOW OR GOOD I CHOOSE EVO ,THIS IS BULL****. BUT ANYWAYS I AM GOING TO TALK TO THE NEW YORKERS AND SEE IF WE CAN GIVE PC A PARTY AND IF M2K WANTS TO COME THEN COME WHICH I DOUBT IT BUT YOUR WELCOMED TOO.

SO EVERYONE POST UP KEEP THIS TREAD ALIVE UNTIL THERE IS JUSTICE AND IF THIS TREAD DIES I SAY PPL KEEP THE FIRE BURNING AND MAKE A NEW THREAD.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
Actually reported there were 200 participants. so that is 200*75= 15g if everyone paid upfront. Even if you give or take a thousand.

~16g=low.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Well, at first glance, i felt the payoffs were really low, but then i actually went through a calculator.

If i recal correctly, I asked arash how many entrants we had, and he said like 220 entrants or so.

So 220 * 75 woud be $16,500.

Venue, I hear from the first post, is 6k, so
16,500 - 6,000 = 10,500.

6k probably sounds expensive for 3 days, but I'm not that surprised with that kind of housing cost. My house is about an acre, 30-40 years old and is worth around 1.5-2 million dolalrs where i live. Yeah, pretty **** expensive. :S.

Then there are payoffs for singles and teams.
10,500 - 4,200 = $6,300.

Then there is food, where we got 5 meals. I'm not sure how much the food would cost, but I can probably expect to be charged 3 or 4 bucks for what i got. So it would cost them about 3 bucks to get that. Given that we got 5 meals, for 220 folks, that would amount to be 3,300 dollars, at 3 dollars a meal. I'd imagine they probably spent more on food, as they expected more folks, but we got seconds, and they can keep any excess food they spent, anyways.

So 6,300 - 3,300 is 3,000 dollars left.

They hired a van to pick people up, which i heard costed about 400 to 600 dollars, which sounds reasonable for 3 days. So i'll average it to 500 or so.

3,000 - 500 = 2,500.

Gas probaby costed a couple hundred bucks. Big van, i'd expect i guess 20 mpg from it, with $3.00 per gallon, which is the price over there (ours is what, 3.40? x.x).

2,500 - 200 = 2,300.

Then we have the trophies. Those single tropheis were humongous. If I recall, there were 3 single trophies, which i guess would cost 50, 30, 15. 6 team trophies, which would cost 60 or so bucks total. Crew awards, which i guess would cost 30 bucks for 6 medals. (i'm making guesses here), and a couple various trophies. I don't really know how much they are worth, but I guess from looking at prices online as a reference, and seeing them firsthand. So that would amount 200 bucks or so for trophies, which would include tax and shipping.

2,300 - 200 = 2,100.

And they rented motels for showers. I felt too lazy to check prices of motels there, I can guess it can't be above 300 dollars for 3 days, if they rented one room, since they wouldn't relaly care about quality of motel, just if it had showers to use, or not.

2,100 - 300 = 1,800.

I don't know if they had equipment costs or no.

If i recall, manacloud had said that the plane tickets were like 4,000 for BS and his brother. Of course, i'm certain he probably exaggerated that.

So, i guess 3,000 for plane tickets. Taking care of BS and bro would be ken and mana's personal responsibility, and doesn't need to be calculated.

Now, they stated that ken paid for the tickets on his credit card, and they didn't have the money to pay it off at that time. It wouldn't surprise me if ken and mana took this leftover 1,800 in my calculations to help shoulder for the plane costs.

Which, would mean, if they wanted to break even, ken and mana would need to make 1,200 bucks, which they are doing by getting donations, selling T-shirts, and selling DVD's.

So, all in all, I suppose it does even out, and that there isn't a huge amount of money that is unaccounted for.

Keep in mind I'm trying to be objective about this. I personally didn't think ken and mana would try to run off with $5k, but then i looked at chillin's post and so i tried doing my own calculations, and that's what i came up with.

So, after looking at it myself, I don't think there is overwhelming evidence of a scam here. Of course, these are only my guesses, from prices I would expect from my experience up here in Norcal. It would be great if ken and mana would give a full account, but it's too quick to make such harsh accusations.

D

Deleted member

so where is the input from the hosts themselves?
ken has anything to say?

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
I went and I feel somewhat in the middle about all this. I wouldn't put anything past anyone trying to make as much money as possible, especially Manacloud. All we can go on is past experiences, and we know how he operates, like him or not. Now, I do feel that 1200 is way too low a payout for 1st for possibly the biggest (maybe not in sheer numbers) private tourny ever. And the stuff with M2K. You have Plairnk showing the IM that says he didn't get anything. Then some1 else (too tired to sort through the 100 pages of spam again) showing that he said they overexaggerated everthing. I definitely tend to lean more towards the thought that Mike and Ken (or maybe just Mike. Ken always seems silent about the topic, so I like to give him the benefit of the doubt) pocketed quite a bit more than is respectable, but then, Frozen Serpents numbers do seem to add up a bit, though I disagree on one or two of them, namely the venue cost. After all it's said and done though, noone will really ever know save Mike and Ken himself (and the rest of the family, Arash possibly, etc). It's the same exact situation it was w/the modded sticks. I personally think they were modified beyond just "repairing them" or only "changing the hardware to fit peoples desires". The only way to ever put our minds at rest would be for him to come out blatently and give us the hard numbers. Why he hasn't done that yet, we can only speculate. But doing so obviously only pushes the tendancy to lean people's minds towards the negative. You're only hurting yourself the longer you procastinate guys, so just do the community a favor...

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
theres a couple of things missing there first of all the venue could not have possibly cost 6gs and you forget to add in donation and people buying manas 30$ T shirts and paying 20 bucks to play bombsolider. and gas i don't know if they paid the people who drove back, i heard from several drivers they didn't get a penny back. but i dunno i would like to see someone say something, I'm just sayin my input alot of things just seem wrong in this situation so I would like to be updated but thanks to smashboards I can't see whats going on in the backroom thanks alot mods for the people who just want to read about this or have some good input on it -_-
Well, after checking with prices of warehouses of similar size over here, it seems to me that venue price would have been 3000 dollars for 3 days at most, and this would be including utility costs, etc.

Now, for gas, I'm a little confused about what exactly you mean. I don't see why any drivers should be paid by the hosts for attending OC3. The gas price of 200 dollars would be how much gas it takes to drive the van they rented, for purposes of transporting smashers from various airports to the venue, for transporting smashers from venue to motel showers, for moving equipment, for grabbing food, and for transporting smashers from venue back to airports.

In cases where I was more unsure of prices, I tend to overestimate the costs. Now, as for money made from T-shirts and BS matches, I only saw BS play 6 sets of 5, and one of them got it for free, I believe, for winning the banner contest. That makes 100 bucks. For OC3 T-shirts, that seems to be me something independent of the event. Manacloud made the T-shirt picture, and they got them printed. There would be nothing wrong with them making profit from T-shirts.

Bailey

Smash Hero
I am with Wes on this one he is right only 1200 dollars for first and M2K's money was like nothing. Let's hold an NY party for PC and M2K they deserve it.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
i think they deserve more then a party .They deserve all the cash that wasnt given
Well that cash doesn't exist as Ken and Mana maxed out from whatever money was made.

If all 300 had shown up it would have been different story.

The venue price is pretty darn high. Wow.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Well that cash doesn't exist as Ken and Mana maxed out from whatever money was made.

If all 300 had shown up it would have been different story.

The venue price is pretty darn high. Wow.
Before you say that, I want to hear it from either Ken or Manacloud, not Arash, as to where exactly every penny went.

If they really did max out, and were honest about everything, then they really should have no reason not to post up the costs.

Brookman

Smash Hero
the saddest thing is that no one is going to take any initiative to actually find out what truly happened with the moneys. even if any profiteering had gone on, all they have to do is deny it, because no one will investigate beyond the surface of this matter. It's really sad, how much of a scam this tournament was.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Santa Fe Springs, Books, Printing & Copying
Dresco Reproduction Incorporated
12603 Allard St, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

1 562.863.6677

Google ftw.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
the saddest thing is that no one is going to take any initiative to actually find out what truly happened with the moneys. even if any profiteering had gone on, all they have to do is deny it, because no one will investigate beyond the surface of this matter. It's really sad, how much of a scam this tournament was.
I really don't get posts like this. You say this, but you make it sound like you won't invest any time or energy to look into this tournament. I mean, seriously, no one is stopping YOU from looking into the tourney. You can always contact smashers that went to the tourney, find out the venue location/phone number, call him up, call up the businesses where they rented the vehicles, etc. But instead, you just sit there, bemoaning the fact that no one is going to look in-depth, when you yourself aren't willing to. Wtf is up with this attitude? If you want something done, go get it done.

What pisses me off most about this scam/rumor or whatever, is that the people making accusations don't try to actually research the matter. Instead, they just immediately assume the worst.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
those prices that are given seem a little sketchy...i mean 2k for food for 3 days??

Although i didn't go it does smell a tad fishy.

Eci4

Smash Ace
While most of the stuff does look sketchy (Gas cost/venue fees) 2000 dollars divided by 200 people equals each person had 10 dollars of food, and there were more than 200 people.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I really don't get posts like this. You say this, but you make it sound like you won't invest any time or energy to look into this tournament. I mean, seriously, no one is stopping YOU from looking into the tourney. You can always contact smashers that went to the tourney, find out the venue location/phone number, call him up, call up the businesses where they rented the vehicles, etc. But instead, you just sit there, bemoaning the fact that no one is going to look in-depth, when you yourself aren't willing to. Wtf is up with this attitude? If you want something done, go get it done.

What pisses me off most about this scam/rumor or whatever, is that the people making accusations don't try to actually research the matter. Instead, they just immediately assume the worst.
Santa Fe Springs, Books, Printing & Copying
Dresco Reproduction Incorporated
12603 Allard St, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

1 562.863.6677

Google ftw.
mhmm.

tenchar

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand why everyone says 2000 dollars is a scam for food. My mom used to run a catering service, and 2000 dollars for 200 people is...to put it lightly...ridiculously cheap.
The math is pretty straightforward, 2000 dollars among 200 people equals 10 dollars per person. Considering you guys were provided with what, at least 4-6 meals? When's the last time you ate out for $2 a meal?

Bailey

Smash Hero
But seriously Wes let's plan a party for them in NYC at wherever and have some good eats and some smash man you are forgetting we are the best coast in the country at everything! (Except scamming *arguable*)

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
lol @ smashboards moderation.

my thread is locked within 3 posts and this thread goes on for 25+ posts.

too good.
In all fairness, your topic title wasn't "You Cant Run Elite4 Where Did All The Money Go Into Hershey's Cookie And Creme(oc3)."

Banks

Smash Hero
if i ran tournaments, i would probably embezzle money for myself too.

thats why i don't run tournaments.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Ken is great. Manacloud is great. Arash is great. Rickety is great, so let's not make this a debate.

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
Good **** Ken And The Elites

I Hope You Guyz Respond Soon Cause This Is Turning Out Bad . Holding Tounreys Is Hard But Remeber Boys And Girls If You Hold Tounreys Explain Detail By Detail Where The Money Is Going. Like Tell" Ppl U Get Food Tounrey Entry For Teams And Singles And Also Crews Ppl Crews All For Just 75 Dollars Ppl And The Japanese Are Coming Too So Come On Down To Oc3"-ken Now On The Flip Side You Dont Tell Ppl There Are Hidden Fees This Isnt No ****ing Phone Company Or Credit Card Company.
Ppl Mentioning Money For Gas To Drive Ppl Doesnt Matter Thats Thier Own Faults That Should Not Come Out Of The Pot Last Minute Without Ppl Knowing If Your Going To Do Things Like That Tell Ppl Where Thier Money Is Going Rather Then Leading Them On So U Can Get Them To Come And Suffer The Consequences Later.
So What Oc Wouldnt Have Been As Big As Fc , So What Stay In Your Plaec Fc Will Always Rain Only Until Tg Comes Back Then Fc Got Probs But Until Then Fc For Toumrey King.

And Ways Ken You Need To Clear This Up Completely So Ppl Can Shut Up I Am Calling You Out So Come The **** Out Now. Or U Can Kiss the OC Saga Goodbye And Just Enter Toureys And Earn Your Money The Smash Warrior's Way,"fight To The Death And Over Come All And You Shall Get The Pot Of Gold At The End Of You Conquest". But I Guess Since You Dont Got It No More You Resort To That ****.
I Guess Manadick Has Been Tryign To Get You That Way For Yrs But You Kept Declining The Offer With A Response Like" I Will Never Be As Wack In Smash As You Brother I Will Always Fight For What Is Right And Gain My Riches Thru Me Going Thru Combats To The Death Not Being Paid For Hosting Combats That I Shall Not Take Action Upon, Never Brother!!!"-ken

Brookman

Smash Hero
yea, PC Chris is pretty good too (@ km/lesheik). Though not quite good enough to get the prize he should have, or any of the other players who were in the top places. I just don't see how all this money that went into the tournament only went out to the top 3 players/teams in a disproportional amount. IT DOESN'T ****ING MAKE SENSE!! WHERE DID THE ****ING MONEY GO?!?!?!

edit: lol @ wes.

Brookman

Smash Hero

well, personally, I'm waiting for the OC3 crew to make their case, so keep your pants on. Also, I live in CT, and I didn't go to the tournament. No one has assumed the worst, signs just point that way. If plank's breakdown is wrong, prove it. He's made his case, where is the defense?

Also, don't be such a hypocrate. Instead of just sitting their bemoning the fact that people are just assuming (despite the fact that plank made a legitimate argument in support of his case) the worst, why don't you prove them wrong?

It's not even about the money, but the entire business behind it. It's just something that I would never have expected to, or wanted to see in this community. I bet you bought one of manacloud's fancy controllers, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom