• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You As A Wolf Mainer: A how to on developing your own "style" with wolf

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Hello Wolf boards, Captain Sa10 here. Some of you may not know me, let alone heard of me, as others may have. For those of you that do not know who I am, I shall not claim any recognition for the development of wolf but have helped other people who have contributed a far more amount then me during the time that I was on the boards(actively). Some say im one of the top wolf players around next to others such as Kosk, Kasha, Arc Point, and other well known wolf players on smashboards. Im surely not the best, but overall at a high enough skill level with wolf that I can give others well placed advice to those that wish to become well accomplished with wolf as brawl begins to unfold. So I have created this topic today as a source of finding your way in the path of "style", which plays a key element in your mindgames, tactics, and overall gameplay. Lets begin shall we.

As a wolf player, you already have the distinct nature to whip anyone and everyone's *** to show your top notich stuff with him. An easy way to show this off is simple: Show them your moves and cover your weaknesses. Whats funny is that this can be accomplished in a multitude of ways, ranging from turning your weakness into strengths, to turning strengths to weakness(or in other terms, showing less of use for them then other wolf players would). Now that seems a bit weird but in truth can make a hell of alot more mindgames, and gameplay oriented effects to take place in your play style during a match. If you wanted to change a weakness into a strength, you could easily turn one of your least used aerials, Uair, into a deadly weapon when returning from a ledgehop, or starting a juggle from the air with it. As to turning a strength into a weakness, you can easily lower your usage amount of the D-smash(Many smashers already anticipate Wolf players to use D-smash or F-smash, so why not mix it up), use other smashes such as up-smash to rack the damage, and then unleash a winning blow with a nice reserved D-smash that instead of being at a lower damage percent then it would be by using two or three of them, only takes one to get the job done. You can do the vice-verse with the smashes if you wanted to go for vertical kills instead by reserving your Up-smash for a quick DACUS, sending to an unexpected death and kill from an unexpected move.

As a player in general, everyone has their likes and dislikes. Everyone prefers one move from another, which plays yet another part in the development of your own style. All wolf players should know that the basic kill moves result from D-smash, F-smash, Fair(on occasions), and the famous Bair. Well, your going to spam Bair if you want to wall properly, but is that all you should focus on? No. Focus on unsuspecting moves, like DACUS or Fair Walling which works just as well as Bair Walling except with less killability. You may like the reflector alot, so why not follow up after a nice combo with a reflector to check your grounds? Or strike with a reflector here and there to mix up your approaches to give you that extra edge you need in the heat of battle. Like to cancel your flash, but notices no one else does? Well, if it works for you, and you know how to make it work, do what you need to do to win. This is also a bit negative towards those that solomemly spam lasers and bairs. Despite the awesomeness of both moves, spamming can get very predictable and un-original, causing your game to shift towards those moves only, and you wont be able to function properly as a well-rounded wolf player. Not saying that you should stop spamming it because it's still good(when controlled),but you do have other moves that can work wonders if used correctly.

Your mindgames well affect your most difficult matches. Having good mindgames can set a game that would be in the opponents favor into the favor of the other player that is using them. If crouching multiple times involves being a mindgame to screw with the other persons head, usteit. Dash dancing causes people to seizure(your character as well), but you can usually come out of that pretty spracticlly causing a sense of randomness, and less predictability. If you just wanted to DACUS across the stage as a mindgame, so be it. Mindgames are meant to throw your opponents game off into your favor, meaning that if you wanted to make your aerials well protected and less predictable spamming, throwing in empty short-hops are an awesome way to trick them up.

Not everyone is going to be completely original with there style of play. That's not only an obvious fact, but a fact of competitive gaming that players use what works to their advantage. So if you must, watch several other wolf players, good and bad, to distinguish more things that you may not have noticed or think you could do better by possibly changing that up a bit. Thank you for taking your time to look upon my topic, and I hope this adviced help some people.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I like this thread, it encourages others to make their own style of Wolf, instead of copy and pasting from Germ/Lucien/whoever. Though, you have to admit, if a strategy works, then freakin' use it. Great read.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I agree with Arc, I just picked him up, and he's far surpassed my Yoshi.

Yes, my Yoshi is good. Not all Yoshi's suck. <.<

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Good stuff. Part of this is more or less where the metagame is now, such as save dsmash for killing (lol ArcPoint) Boost smashing is great for annoying the crap out of people though, no joke. I don't see any pros using the cancel too often, but I throw it in whenever I have nothing else to do and it works pretty well. I've even ledgehogged with it on stages like halberd from the platform, it's amazing but tough to time. Uair is underrated though, watch the pro vids, and you'll see some good uses for it. 12%, good range, and a disjointed hitbox make it a great aerial.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the invite Solid. Didn't realize we had a Wolf Back room till now (I rarely came onto smashboards till lately). Either way, this topic was meant to explain a few things to new players, and somewhat dispell other things that many wolf players tend to have trouble dealinig with things such as mindgames, movesets, etc. In truth though, this thread can really go for any character, except with changes set specifically for that other character. Thanks for the replies as well guys, Thought this topic was going to go unlooked lol.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
No offense, but I can't tell where the point is in all of this. You're basically repeating a bunch of very basic stuff which you can apply to any character at all. "Vary the moves you use" and "have mindgames" are not particularly deep Wolf advice.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
No offense, but I can't tell where the point is in all of this. You're basically repeating a bunch of very basic stuff which you can apply to any character at all. "Vary the moves you use" and "have mindgames" are not particularly deep Wolf advice.
My post above yours already explained that it could be used towards other chars as well, and wasn't meant tell them of other things since usually the basics make more of an improvment in gameplay then advanced techniues since you can mold them in your own way.

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
my wolf uses many bairs to egdehog. i jump off the stage and do many risky combos. i am working on his speed (as fast as he can possibly combo)

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Theres a wolf back room?

I think my style is pretty defensive. I try to do stuff like B-air walls and retreating 0 lag f-airs. I guess im sort of like a camper but at least I dont spam too much.

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
Well the most hated move spamming I have seen that ticks me off is spamming down b shield... ughhh so frickin annoying

teekay

Smash Journeyman
Ignore it, teekay's always like that..,.
Like what, exactly? I don't think I've ever done anything to warrant remarks like that.

Critical observations are what this board should be about. I apologize if you don't like hearing my criticisms, but they are not intended to be taken personally.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Teekay may be a bit harsh at times, but it's what you need on forums to get the point across and make some progress. Don't ignore him, he told me the timing for illusion cancelling, and he's pretty knowledgable when it comes to SSB from what I can tell.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
I'm an average player. I'm just well-researched. I don't know, maybe my tone is rough or something, but I don't think I'm even that harsh. I'm a pretty friendly guy, I'm just blunt.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
A bit too blunt in my opinion....at least you could've appreciated the effort...

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Lol, Im not going to ignore him at all xP. Just saying that his post was a bit late since I had already stated what he said in my post above his.

Darkslash

Smash Master
To be honest my Wolf style is a reaction type of play. trying to get the moment to my advantage. to be honest i don't think i really try to do A.T's...

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
his bair is great. use it from one side to the other and come flying right off the stage with it. thats a cool technique... also, if you down throw and then shield perfecly, you can time another grab.. also you can chain grab if you time it right. overall wolf is a unique and fun character to train/play with for hours... lol

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
not more than 2-3 times in a row, but if you time the other character's recovery well, you can... usually i only get 2 times in a row, but rarely someone falls for it and i get 3... its hard as hell, harder than pulling a bair to a down spike then pulling off successful recovery. remeber "the first rule of fur ***gotry... YOU DON'T RECOVER!" [brawl taunts]

xX'Mitsurugi'Xx

Smash Ace
I use a very simple tactic with wolf, r@pe..... I use w/e the situation calls for, no set in stone tactic, makes it harder for ppl to learn my habits.

dumba989

Smash Apprentice
Nice advice for those that do not know how to utilize Wolfs' abilities yet, many times, i have friends that used to spam his attacks and make it easy to counter that strat, but, me as a Wolf mainer, saw what i did and had to immediately switch the style up and now i have a unique playstyle of my own, but if i did not know how to play Wolf before reading this post, it would have help me a great deal, and still does, since i haven't been playing for a while, it made me refresh my mind back into Smash and gain my skill back, excellent post.
10/10

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Because you know, Usmash has excellent vertical knockback, and he can't kill any earlier with any other move, it's also his safest KO move as well.

Top Bottom