• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Melee to Project M Change log

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Neutral B hitbox is much larger, can be moved around in (like with Wario's bite, you can control the momentum), and the opponents pop out of the eggs they have less invincibility
Down B has an active weak hit box on it's way up that will lead in to the second, strong it
Up B seems to have received no changes, but minimum throw length has been raised. Eggs are stronger (Can now stop/hit Fox/Falco out of their Fox Fire's, for example)
Side B has quick initial hop and momentum, then starts a hitbox
Cancelling side B is very quick, easy to combo out of
Side B can be used like Marth's side B to recover slightly more effectively
Side B's momentum can be used as a recovery mind game, and gives more distance. Use it to recover. It does take your jump, though.

Nair's hitbox is bigger, reaches more forward
Fair has less landing lag maybe
Dair hitboxes do NTSC damage but have much, much more knock back. Can pop up opponents off of ground with lots of stun. Much less landing lag.
Bair has far more range, knock back, and deals more percent. Less landing lag.
Uair seems unchanged

Jabs seem unchanged
Utilt reverted to Smash 64 utilt, it's much faster and very easy to combo with
Ftilt reverted to Brawl f-tilt's animation, unchanged hitboxes/frame data
Dtilt seems unchanged

Grab is quicker, has a much larger/more reliable grab box
Dash grab has a much larger/more reliable grab box
Down throw sends more outward

Second jump can continue in it's jump/arc while you use an aerial
Second jump armor is a bit stronger

Down smash seems unchanged
Fsmash seems to be stronger
USmash is much stronger, has a much larger/longer hit box

Shield completely different, can be jumped out of
Shield will always slide :(
Shield changes color with Yoshi color choice:colorful:

Yoshi is PAL weight (heavier) rather than NTSC weight (lighter)

I'll bet a lot of this is wrong, PLEASE correct what you can.

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
actually you're spot on with all this. I been practicing him since yesterday and you're about right with everything. Although wish he had the parry like melee but alas he will always slide. Maybe you can use Yoshi's Down+B as a counter from that. I'm still testing that though.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I thought I read that Yoshi can still parry on the character page... I must be mistaken.
Up+B is no longer limited in range; the eggs don't detonate until they make contact with an enemy or the stage. Yoshi can even hit enemies far below/behind him trying to recover!
Also, Up+B seems to slow his fall, like Marth's Dancing Blade.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
No you're right it does say he can parry in alas he cannot at least i've made many attempts using the falcon punch..but to no avail. I only manage a slide

hamyojo

Smash Ace
It seems to slow his fall just a tad. Perhaps not as drastically as Marth's Side+B, but it's there.
Nope. It does nothing.
EGE's have the same timing exactly.

EGE's look weird though, I can only do them when looking away from Yoshi because the visual cues I used to use have changed, it's kind of frustrating.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Nope. It does nothing.
EGE's have the same timing exactly.

EGE's look weird though, I can only do them when looking away from Yoshi because the visual cues I used to use have changed, it's kind of frustrating.
Erm... "EGE"?

Girth94

Smash Cadet
Edge canceled egg
The thing where you go to the ledge and fall then double jump and throw an egg then the animation cancels
Can you PLEASE help me with this? I've got the DJC and RDJC and all kinds of Yoshi-specific techs down, but I cannot get the EGE. I haven't gotten it a single time.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
PM. I'm not even sure what the inputs are, let alone the timing.
1. grab ledge
2. press away from ledge/drop off
3. double jump, then wait a second
4. up b and angle it
5. Destroy!

Here it is (in Melee) over and over again by possibly the two best Yoshis. My ears.

Girth94

Smash Cadet
1. grab ledge
2. press away from ledge/drop off
3. double jump, then wait a second
4. up b and angle it
5. Destroy!

Here it is (in Melee) over and over again by possibly the two best Yoshis. My ears.
OHHHH, you have to double jump! I was using it like a Firefox ledge stall thinking he'd snap right back to the ledge. Wow, this is one hard technique.

If done perfectly, do you have full ledge invincibility?

hamyojo

Smash Ace
OHHHH, you have to double jump! I was using it like a Firefox ledge stall thinking he'd snap right back to the ledge. Wow, this is one hard technique.

If done perfectly, do you have full ledge invincibility?
Yes, it is, I spent a good four months of killing myself all the time in practice until I could do it fast enough/consistently enough to use all the time, and it's really, really powerful tool.

And to answer your question, nope... I think the new animation may intentionally make Yoshi back away form the ledge, maybe making it a more safe option on purpose? I don't know, it throws me off, but I'll keep trying.

Good luck! Don't get too frustrated if you don't get it at first, it's very hard and will take a long time to get!

Sashimi

Smash Ace
I've also had trouble with EGEs in P:M due to visual cues. Just gotta get used to Yoshi's Brawl look, I suppose.

Is it just me, or does Neutral B have much better range?

Also, Dair seems either much easier to L-Cancel, or much easier to combo out of. Dair > Utilt > Fun

If Fair is really a Spike now, then I am looking forward to risky and unnecessary Fair edgeguards!

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I've also had trouble with EGEs in P:M due to visual cues. Just gotta get used to Yoshi's Brawl look, I suppose.

Is it just me, or does Neutral B have much better range?

Also, Dair seems either much easier to L-Cancel, or much easier to combo out of. Dair > Utilt > Fun

If Fair is really a Spike now, then I am looking forward to risky and unnecessary Fair edgeguards!
Neutral B may have more range, I'll have to look in to that...

And yes, Dair is much, much easier to combo out of!

hooray for SDs!

Scatz

Smash Champion
Egg Lay has been doubled in range compared to his grabs. Not even Brawl had that kind of range.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Turns out Fair isn't a spike. I saw it meteor cancelled on stream today.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Yoshi's fair was hard to meteor cancel in Melee, and I think is even harder in Project M. In Melee I could pretend it was a spike and use it as such- and people believed me and didn't even bother trying to cancel. It was kinda funny. We should all just pretend it's a spike and no one will notice!

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Yoshi's fair was hard to meteor cancel in Melee, and I think is even harder in Project M. In Melee I could pretend it was a spike and use it as such- and people believed me and didn't even bother trying to cancel. It was kinda funny. We should all just pretend it's a spike and no one will notice!

Fair is now officially a Spike. Only the Yoshi mains will know...

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
To be honest I'm fond of PM Yoshi. He received some buffs, but at the cost of his combo game and D-smash. It's great that they brought back his 64 U-tilt, but it doesn't combo as well because 64 had much more hitstun than any other SSB game. Grabs don't lead into much anymore either.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I fail to understand how Yoshi's combo game could be considered worse in any way

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Egg Lay has been doubled in range compared to his grabs. Not even Brawl had that kind of range.

I would like to officially complain that Kirby's Egg Lay range is totally garbo. >=(

And Yoshi's combo game is better than ever, I don't know what Kimi is talking about.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I would like to officially complain that Kirby's Egg Lay range is totally garbo. >=(

And Yoshi's combo game is better than ever, I don't know what Kimi is talking about.
Kirby confirmed for bottom tier
buff pls
need moar tongue

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Just realized his aerials have less landing lag as well.
Jeez he just gets better and better.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Yeah sorry guys those were just my initial impressions after a few hours of playing with non-competitive players. I haven't tried any combos with egg roll and such when I played. I'll hopefully give him another go sometime soon (I don't have PM) and post my thoughts here.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
how high they get popped up depends on their weight, and their fallspeed will also effect how you need to follow up.

It might be slightly different from melee? It's not in any significant way I can see, so it's probably not.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
It don't know if it's just me, but I also noticed something was off about the Down Throw. I seem to be able to get the same follow-ups from it even though it looks like the opponent is lower to the ground.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
To be honest I'm fond of PM Yoshi. He received some buffs, but at the cost of his combo game and D-smash. It's great that they brought back his 64 U-tilt, but it doesn't combo as well because 64 had much more hitstun than any other SSB game. Grabs don't lead into much anymore either.
I combo his up throw into his up air quite often. Maybe it's because I am playing level 9 cpu's?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
ah, sorry, I am new with yoshi in melee. What are some good attacks to chain with his throws?

Down throw is Yoshi's go-to combo option for throws. Against fastfallers around 30%+, you can juggle with DJC Uair repeatedly until around 70-90%, or get an Uptilt or Upsmash and continue from there. Against everyone else, it depends on the %. Some characters can be juggled with DJC Uair at low %, some characters can be juggled with Uptilt, and for some, your only real option is to throw an egg at them.

Top Bottom