• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi vs Peach

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
What have yall learned from this match up to help us yoshi's. I know to the back air behind her. Iknow not to try and ground cancel at all. Juggles are easy. Do get to high above her. the tounge throw her off. tilts hut, but u do risk a down a. DI left or right when grab. instant edge hog really hurts her comeback. Try and ko her upwards. anything else.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
I'm assuming you're either really tired or your keyboard is broken. Anyway, on to the help:

Whenever she approaches floating with an aerial to float cancel at you, you need to disrupt her spacing somehow. This gets difficult if she is holding a turnip. Try lightshielding the incoming attack, or try and get under her with your good running speed so you can running upsmash. Fsmash works well in a few cases, so try the pullback on that as well. You could also jump up and b her for a good surprise, but it doesn't work if she sees it coming.

You're going to run into problems outprioritising her from anywhere but directly below her. Usmash and uair are both valuable weapons against a peach coming from above. Try to fair her only when she's grounded, otherwise you'll get naired.

Your biggest friend here is the egg toss:
1.) They arc so they discourage floating.
2.) They go right through turnips.
3.) They make good edgeguarders against any floaty.
4.) They set up Peach for a meteor smash-->tech chase, or a nair-->KO

Crouch cancelling can work wonders in this match up, but also can absolutely destroy you. You need to mindgame it in moreso than you normally would.

Dash attack chains are annoying, and I would say don't stand in close proximity of a Peach unless you're in a good position to attack. It's pretty much impossible to outspace her when she uses dash attack, so your best bet is to jump over her or run away.

Saur

Smash Apprentice
I second the eggs comment. Tis truly the anti-air. It cancels floats and can hit high recovering peaches if you throw at the peak of your full-hop. I like to retreat a RDJC egg toss at her. Jump forward, RDJC while throwing an egg backwards. Be careful because there's a lotta lag after it though, since it's used at relatively close range (for eggs).

Oh yeah, throw in a random down b every now and then. Kills vertically and slices through turnups thrown upwards. I use down b more on jigglypuffs, though... I think peaches umbrella can stop it. Just don't abuse.

Her aerial priority is pretty up there, so many times the only way you can get an aerial hit on her is to DJ through an attack of hers and then nair. I short hop to dodge dash attacks. But yeah I hate that move >_<

I seem to be able to tickle that ho* with bair pretty frequently. At least when she's facing forwards. Her butt (read: bair) owns my bair when she's facing backwards though. But that may be because I have to work on my spacing.

*used with love and respect to all peach players

Saur

Smash Apprentice
Recently a friend of mine said he had some trouble against Gabe's Yoshi with his Peach, despite being able to handle his fox. He hadn't really had any Yoshi experience (I haven't really smashed with him all that often).

He mentioned that he kept getting dsmashed during peach's own dsmash, which perplexed me. He didn't offer too many details and I'd forgotten about it until I looked back at this thread again. And so I ask: how does one dsmash peach out of her dsmash?

I considered crouch-cancelling, but that seems absurd. I figure the most likely explanation is full-shielding peach's dress and getting pushed out of range and then using dsmash out of the shield. Does that work? Does yoshi's dsmash outrange peach's dsmash even though mario's fsmash doesn't (I believe)? Does my Peach friend have bad memory?

Anyone?

EDIT: Crap, sorry for the double post.. I hadn't posted in here for so long that I swore in my head someone had spoken after I had @_@

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Interesting.

Gabe either downsmashed out of shield or he timed the downsmash to go in between the hits of Peach's downsmash, as there is a two frame (I believe...it could be one frame) gap between the different hits of Peach's downsmash. Regardless, I think the point of this post is Gabe hacks, so yeah. The end.

Saur

Smash Apprentice
Haha, I'm honored that I'm quoted in your sig, Shiri.

Hmmm... I only have Saur hacks. And those mostly involve slapping the opponent's controller. -_-

So gabe what do you do against peaches?

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
u can smash peach's down after afte the first couple of spins. Bringer told me let the first 3 hit. While SHEILD IS UP. if your close in. The smash. You can also do this by getting in close then roll away to a tail whip. Ur tail is longer than her down a.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yeah, Yoshido nailed it pretty well.

You can also shieldgrab her downsmash from a full shield if you let the first four spins hit the shield. This is useful if she's at too low a percentage to receive significant knockback from the downsmash, I think. Just make sure your shield is somewhere near full power or else it will break on the 4th hit.

And yes, Gabe needs to tell us what he does against Peach players. I have my own ideas, but most of them involve letting them turnip spam me until they pull a beamsword for me to steal. ^_^

And Saur, I'm not the only one with your mess in my sig. Bloshi did it first, hahaha. That quote was too amazing, though--I couldn't resist putting it in the sig.

Saur

Smash Apprentice
Haha, yeah I just noticed bloshi had it, too. [high fives bloshi] For a second I thought I'd confused you two @_@ This is good, though: people need to know the truth about falco and his lasers =}

Thanks for the info on the dsmash guys. I just tried it just now in vs mode with 2 controllers (nobody's at my apartment). Pretty hawt.

I've pulled the shieldgrab on peach's dsmashes before but I never know what to do after the throw (dthrow). I just try uairs and try to back off when I think they'll nair me. Or eggs. That's comboing floaties for you, I guess.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I like to either up throw to up air or forward throw to dash attack.

Usually the up throw, while tossing them at an awkward rate, has great stun. The forward throw is a little trickier, but if you queue it up with the C-Stick, I find people have a much harder time reacting to it.

Of course, you could always just chomp on them for as long as you can and then either down throw or back throw just for the extra %.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Alright, WTF. Peach's dash attack is for real starting to piss me off.

I mean, we all know this **** is ******** already. You can't grab it, you can't outspace it, you can DD around it, you **** sure can't jump that ****, and you can't even run away sometimes, but I've really almost had it. Especially with counterpick Peaches (ones who don't actually play Peach, but use her for hard matchups on their main), it's like there's really no stopping it. I'm starting to wonder if you can even supershieldgrab it at all, even though I've been trying like crazy to over the past few weeks.

When Peach corners you at the edge of a stage with dash attack, your only real option (it seems) is shielding. And since you can't shieldgrab, your only options out of that are spot dodge, roll, and keep your shield up. LUCKY FOR ME, Peach's downsmash owns ALL THREE of those options! It's COOL, RIGHT?! I've been trying to experiment with lightshielding the dash attack to get pushed off the ledge and grab it for invulnerability so I can GTFO, but I'm running into some problems. First, sometimes when I'm getting pushed off, I take FOREVER to fall off the side of the stage and hit by downsmash anyway. I honestly have no idea why this happens. The other problem is usually when I do get pushed off quickly enough, I fall too far away from the stage horizontally to grab the edge (I think)...I just kinda float past the edge and never grab--it's not even like I'm fastfalling through it, but whatever.

Does anyone have any general get-away-from-dash-attack advice or even any how-to-grab-the-ledge-so-you-don't-die tips? I could really use them, thanks.

And **** double posting.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
The only thing I can think of is powershielding the dsmash, if someone can figure out how the random powershielding works. Oh yeah, and don't let her do it in the first place, however you need to.

I'm going to fight a peach this weekend, so I'll think about this hard okay?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Thanks. I'd appreciate that. ^_^

Hmmmm, rapid powershielding does work on downsmash...I suppose I never gave that any thought. Idea time... >_>

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Try CCing the dash attack on low %. DJCing through works too if you're super pressured. I think d-tilt out ranges it, and the crouching helps with that somewhat, even if you clink with it you should be able to just d-tilt again before she can do anything.

Otherwise, predict it and dash away RDJC works too. Requires pretty precise timing, but once you get it it's pretty easy. The unfortunate part is that you have to predict it. Use against dash attack whoring peaches.

I have shieldgrabbed it before. Try running into her and shielding. That way you can grab earlier in her animation allowing more grab time.

Worst comes to worst, shield it then shield first hit of downsmash, then sidestep or roll and avoid the rest of d-smash with the perfect punisher! Or, you can do something pro like buffer the Z light shield during the dash attack shieldlag and then light shield the d-smash that way.

You're right, dash attack sucks. Imo, this is the hardest part of the matchup. That and her n-air which can be used as a replacement when autofloated->float cancelled anyway.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Aww, man. I really needed that advice. WTF I love Peach to bits, but playing against her is terrible!

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
hey guys. I recentyl played my friends peach like monday or so. Anyway The b grab really helped. I still made some mistakes in the approach after a vegie is thrown. But other than that it was a pretty good match. Hmm me im completely against cc ing this match. Its never led to a good situation for me. Un less she is doing her down air.

technomancer

Smash Champion
If peach makes a habit of dash attacking you then forward smash her in the face. It'll clang if you're too slow and she throws out a dsmash, but just owning that shiz straight or trading a better hit with dash attack is <3 and will get her to cut it out.

Turnips are the worst, because you can't exactly stay on top of her and **** her, and Turnips > approaches... and camping too... so uhh... turnips

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
I hate this match up like hell. Use lots of eggz and bairs to handle peach in this match up.vI also think Nairs also work.

Megaman X

Smash Journeyman
Turnips are the worst, because you can't exactly stay on top of her and **** her, and Turnips > approaches... and camping too... so uhh... turnips
Catch them. If you catch them relatively well, it essentially gives you a backup projectile. You then have 2 projectiles to her 1, since eggs are uncatchable. The problem with this though is that holding a turnip takes away your A moves until you throw it, and Yoshi = A button + eggs, so ...

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you catch a turnip, do a shield turnip throw when she attacks your shield. Also, try roll cancelling. Its useless but fun! Marth has the best roll cancel I think.

The d-smash is awesome for knocking her away or off the edge for edgeguarding. Don't expect it to kill though, just use it to screw up her recovery height. It has a lot of range too, and it is just as fast as Peach's d-smash so as long as you don't hold down from doing it, go for it. D-tilt is better if she's on low % though

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Yea i just like using it to slap her at that low range across the stage and then just spamming eggs at her to be a ***** :)

BooThunder

Smash Journeyman
ALERT ALERT DASH ATTACK ADVICE i never used to play against peaches but my friend picked her up and he may be somewhat noobish (as a peach), but as rediculous as it sounds, his noobish playing style with her is actually very effective, especially since he knows how i play with yoshi. and along with his noobish play style comes many turnips, many dash attacks, and many dmsahs. neway im just pointing it out that hes not so great with her because this tactic that i use against his dash attack may not work on rediculously good peaches. on to the advice... idk what the hell the technical term for it is, but doing the run away short hop or fulljump into a dj back at them canceled nair is great for getting her to stop dash attack, no, its unbelivable, and if u can have some more time to predict it, then go for the gold and fair her instead of nair, leading to great uairs! only problem is that at lower damages the downsmash often gets me afterwards, but thats probably my fault and can be avoided. tell me if im wrong about this tactic even working against better players, and if theres something that hes doing wrong (id like to give him some advice too). any tips about avoiding the dsmash after that or avoiding dsmash in ne situation where you trade hits would be appreciated, too. and please dont say lightshield, because even if ur right i dont want to hear it.... cant do it well.... at all..... without pressing z (aka cant do it well at all)

Ghost42

Smash Apprentice
**** that Dsmash is annoying, I almost got four stocked against the QANTM Peach the other day.
Then again Dsmash isn't as bad as needles and shine.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
A few possible ideas/tips against Peaches:
1)The only good Peach in the air is one that WANTS to be in the air. Control her airtime with Eggs, Usmashes, and Utilts (Very disjointed, beats out most anything Peach can try to land diretly above you).
If she's smart, she'll nair against eggs, which gives you time to pursue with other attacks. Try to snipe her floattime with eggs, then go in for the wreck.

2)Anyone tried Lightshield against Dsmash? Not really a tip, more of a question.

3)Dash attack problems while recovering aerial? Why not try Egg Roll to pop over the hitbox? It's risky, since there's a good chance you'll be in Dsmash proximity. Try landing right on her head, since the bottom of the egg roll is the hitbox, NOT the top.

Dash attacks on the ground? Lightshield! It'll give you plenty of space to have you both replan strategies.
Don't need so much space? Dtilt. Time it right, and you'll slip your tail right under the hitbox. Dsmash is not a good option, since it has only a little more than half of Dtilt's range.
Want to be up close? Ftilt the hands.

(Just to let yall know, it's not tested thoroughly yet ....that's up to you guys)

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
3) Bad idea, egg roll is laggy. Pretty sure that she'll be moving early enough to hit you. And, you don't have a hitbox in mid-air, only on the ground.

Tanea

Smash Ace
holy crap they are both my mains i don't that i have ever considerd both of them fighting each other

Seanson

Smash Ace
the person i play most of the time has mained peach for like 5 years, so I've gotten lots of practice against peaches.

i found out egg lay is your best bet in this match up. almost every egg lay you can do a 4-hit b-air, then after the egg breaks (if they dont break out too soon = too high) then you can do u-airs or egg shinanigans. spacing is key. egg lay is a fast ranged grab (works in the air too). i suggest you use it a LOT (at least I do)

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I find it hard to land, Peach has a very strong approach with the turnip to float cancelled f-air going and its kinda hard to break it with egg lay.

Still, I love the things you can do to Peach after landing it.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Get her to stop throwing turnips by throwing eggs at her, and then rdjc for the egg lay, if she's using that approach. It works pretty well actually. Most Peaches are used to being unbeatable in the air (except by Marth) so they are thrown way off when you lay down an egg lay on them.

Seanson

Smash Ace
i usually dont egg lay if the peach has a vegetable. if peach has a vegetable i usually toss an egg in the trajectory that i would be hit if peach threw the vegetable and i didnt egg. safe + harassing.

Top Bottom