• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Yoshi Critique Thread -- Assembling Our Teachers (Under Construction)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Looking to improve? Want people to tell you how to get better? This thread is your place to share videos of your own play to get some helpful tips and advice!

Hey party people, it's TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME.

Game's officially out, which means people are going to have info videos to share and gameplay videos to critique.

This means we need to get ourselves into gear. In the past, I feel like the Yoshi community has been pretty lax in raising new talent. Many videos posted don't usually get much commentary, which stagnates our player base.

Proposal
I propose two teams, neither mutually exclusive.

1) One team will be focused on giving feedback to players who are posting their own gameplay looking to improve. Members of this team will rotate through giving video feedback, preventing the bystander effect (oh, someone else will give feedback I don't need to worry about it), and ensure that nobody feels swamped/overwhelmed by the notion of providing all feedback.

2) The other team (or person, or both) will evaluate any resource videos/guides/etc. for quality and accuracy of information. Tbh, this team will likely not even be necessary (content creators usually have their stuff together), but I figured it was worth mentioning since we were inundated with Yoshi text guides last generation, and you all know top players like to give their (uninformed) opinions about Yoshi.

Both teams can be filled through volunteer/application/recommendation. People on the teams need to demonstrate themselves as knowledgeable, well spoken/written, and generally reliable (things need to get done). In general, I think most of the Old Guard that's still hanging around can start to fill these in. That'd be:

• Yikarur Yikarur
  • Sinister Slush Sinister Slush
  • Wall?
  • Pixel?
  • ...Myself? (idk, I have admittedly been out of it for a while)
  • Others that I forgot (Sorry!)
Anyhow, the focus is on getting people to actually help others improve. It's felt like we're kind of bad at this and I've never really been satisfied by the skill of the general Yoshi pool. I don't want us to be carried by just one person anymore!

And as always, please give your feedback. If you think this is a dumb idea just tell me and we can return to a more traditional system for videos/critiques.

Last edited:

Sharky

Smash Master
It's ok, I forgive you =P

But yeah I'll be around too, I'll definitely contribute where I can.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I'm a Yoshi main(and K. Rool).. have been since 64, I just recently started streaming and will be a dedicated Smash streamer. I don't want to "advertise" myself on here so.. I guess if anyone wants my Twitch name PM me. Unless I can post it here?

I actually am pretty displeased with a lot of Yoshi''s changes in Ultimate but its not slowing me down...

GeniuswithJ

Smash Rookie
I have a few game play vids of me against my buddy I would like tips on, but they're videos saved on my switch. What would be the best way to go about uploading these videos and is there a preferred file type?

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I have a few game play vids of me against my buddy I would like tips on, but they're videos saved on my switch. What would be the best way to go about uploading these videos and is there a preferred file type?
You can convert the replay file into a video, which then goes onto your microSD Card. You should be able to view the files with an SD Card adapter for your computer/laptop and then you can upload the vid directly onto Youtube since it's an MP4 file :)

I obv don't suggest uploading the MP4 file here directly, for space reasons. If you need to compile a bunch together tho, try just putting them into 1 vid (and timestamp each match in the description), provided you have the editing software. Else, individually uploading each match you have is fine if you don't have access to such software.

GeniuswithJ

Smash Rookie
You can convert the replay file into a video, which then goes onto your microSD Card. You should be able to view the files with an SD Card adapter for your computer/laptop and then you can upload the vid directly onto Youtube since it's an MP4 file :)

I obv don't suggest uploading the MP4 file here directly, for space reasons. If you need to compile a bunch together tho, try just putting them into 1 vid (and timestamp each match in the description), provided you have the editing software. Else, individually uploading each match you have is fine if you don't have access to such software.
So you think just editing them together into a video and then upload to youtube is probably the best option and then link it here?

noxmiles

Smash Rookie
NNID
noxmiles
3DS FC
2277-6865-5200
Are we allowed to post vids of other competitors, particularly those who went to finals? There are actually quite a few out there, but I'm finding it hard to follow how the matches play out and why. Getting commentary from some of ya'll would be nifty, as I've seen 3 different yoshis use really different approach strategies

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The thread is mostly directed to helping Yoshi mains improve, so linking your own vids tends to be better. But if you wish you can link the vids and people might comment on it.

GeniuswithJ

Smash Rookie
Link to video of a few of my matches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sct0o3YWETc&feature=youtu.be

Let me know if the link isn’t working and below are some of my thoughts on my game play

So these are some of the things that stick out to me in all my matches and I thought I would make note of it. I also noted areas I think I made bad decisions on so you can see what I’m thinking about my game play and let my know errors in my thinking.

My universal things I need to improve on:
1. Stop up smashing so much
2. I only recover high so work on recovering low.
3. Play too aggressive, might be better to reset in some cases
4. Refine inputs, a lot of Fairs were meant to be Nairs (Any platform run off Fair I was going for a run off Nair)
5. Perfect shields, get better at using them and start to realize when they should and shouldn’t be used
6. My edge guard game is really weak
7. Do I roll too much?

Sadly I don’t have any videos of me losing, at the moment I’m beating all my friends consistently, but I know my actual play is subpar and I should probably go to locals so I get wrecked and learn stuff

Match 1: (0:00 – 3:32)
  • around 2 min mark buddy thought he had a jump that’s why he died early, so the brief pause was because we were talking about why he may not have had it before we started back up.
  • 2:58 I down-B, probably a bad choice
Match 2: (3:34-6:58)
  • 3:45 Would a full hope Fair have gotten him? I was hoping the short hop Fair might go high enough but I don’t think it does
  • 3:46 went for shield grab but got smashed
  • 4:08 bad use of down-b
  • -4:36 is a good example of my down-B question below
  • 4:02 went for up smash because high recovery and I thought id get and Up Smash
  • Death around 5:10 I was going for a perfect shield and messed it up
  • Foot stool at 5:47 was not intentional but I should probably incorporate more foot stools in my play
  • Buddies SD at 6:47, I really don’t know what was going through his head
Match 3: (6:59-11:49)
Probably the worst of the matched but it does a good job showing a lot of my bad habits
-At 7:25 I was trying to chain Nairs, was there any way I could have here?
-7:26 bad down-B again?
- 7:28 through out this match I get a decent amount of chain grabs and I noticed after watching the replay it was because he was smashing (probably at bad time) and I probably shouldn’t get into a habit of shield grabbing much with Yoshi
-8:03 was just bad, some time I get into a habit of just throwing out hitboxes and not thinking which is most apparent in this match so I should work on that
- 8:40-8:45 was a brief moment of us messing around, and then the pause was for a reset to get back to being serious
-9:13-9:30 I consistently use up the double jump, should I be using air dodge to land in some of these instances, and probably go for the ledge more.
-11:28 was surprised that grab didn’t land
-11:36 up smash was if he broke out of the egg and recovered on the stage

Questions:
  • I tend to dash attack, are dash attacks bad in this game? (I know I can press down on the stick and it will let me use tilts and jabs, I forget to do it though and need to work on using that)
  • If I’m getting juggled vertically, I tend to down-B I’m assuming this is a bad option, what are some other options? Nair?
  • The platforms feel sticky to me compared to SSB64, and tips on movement on them for dropping through and running off

noxmiles

Smash Rookie
NNID
noxmiles
3DS FC
2277-6865-5200
The thread is mostly directed to helping Yoshi mains improve, so linking your own vids tends to be better. But if you wish you can link the vids and people might comment on it.
Gotcha. Wasn't sure if it would be helpful or not. Or if this's the place for that sort of thing

Top Bottom