• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Stage Discussion

Sharky

Smash Master
I've been meaning to do something like this for a while now. Anyway, here's the question: What stages do you all like/dislike while playing as Yoshi, and why? I think it'd be a nice addition to all of the other Yoshi material we have here. Personally, I tend to like playing on flat stages, like Smashville and FD, so I can make a nice egg approach.

IceAge

Smash Cadet
I hate platform stages and honestly suck on playing on those. I prefer Smashville [moving platform isn't bad] or Final Destination [even if theres an annoying lip, its easy to get around].

Depster

Smash Champion
I like the 5 standard stages the best, reasons being yoshi can do anything on them. Halberd is probably one of the best for yoshi because of his great ability to ko from below

Sharky

Smash Master
OK, so what stages do you guys absolutely hate? (out of tourney-viable ones) Let's see what we can do to make them less hellish

bigman40

Smash Master
My biggest problem is Lylat and maybe yoshi's story. Idk why, but when my opponent gets control of the bottom level, then I get screwed for a minute.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
I've also noticed something about Lylat. I'm not technically adept; does anyone have an idea?

I prefer a flat stage so I can Pound if I want. However, platforms open up the increased possibility of Uairs, UTilts, and Eggs.

The only stage on which I've played extensively, I don't like Shadow Moses. The wall, like, cancels the upward momentum of the opponent if you UAir or whatever against the wall. Also, I've found the ceiling high, and thus have had some killing trouble (especially with wall rebound).
The walkoff aspect isn't bad, though. Yoshi's grab can make an easy gimp there. However, I can't see walkoffs being legal.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Stages I hate:

The Summit - Lack of a ledge makes Yoshi's wonky recovery tough to use and not get punished. Down-B on that little ice ledge makes you slide off the edge and it has killed me before (like in the Gamestop tourney :/ )

Skyworld - I don't remember if this is legal or not but this stage is a pain regardless. Whenever ledges are absent, it hurts Yoshi's recovery. Either he doesn't make it or it's way too easy to intercept.

Stages I like for all the wrong reasons

Bridge of Eldin, Mario Circuit, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Shadow Moses Island, Mushroomy Kingdom, Flat Zone 2, 75m, Green Hill Zone, Mario Bros.

Reason? Down tilt = 0% KO at the edges. ;)

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
Skyworld - I don't remember if this is legal or not but this stage is a pain regardless. Whenever ledges are absent, it hurts Yoshi's recovery. Either he doesn't make it or it's way too easy to intercept.
GAH. Not to mention that, seemingly whoever you use, that the stage can spike you.
When many attacks connect when the upper floor is constructed but the bottom is destructed, you plummet to death.

Depster

Smash Champion
I HATE lylat. the ledges just poke out there and if you get stuck with your jump, you can just say " oh crap, I'm screwed again..."

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
GAH. Not to mention that, seemingly whoever you use, that the stage can spike you.
When many attacks connect when the upper floor is constructed but the bottom is destructed, you plummet to death.
That sucks for everyone, I was trying to explain why it sucks for Yoshi.

Seriously, Yoshi's recovery seems like it almost DEPENDS on ledges. The only good thing his recovery has when landing on-stage is he doesn't suffer as much lag as other characters do due to his lack of a freefall-inducing recovery move. Otherwise, he's a sitting duck if he has no edge to sweetspot.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Hmmm, what is this famous fumi egg throw that smac speaks of? I need some more tactics in my arsenal.

Oh and my fav stage is easily FD, yoshi is free to roam and no platforms obstruct his aerial game. Least favorite is easily Battlefield, somehow this level always screws me over. Oh and I hate it when people pick luigi's mansion, I always have to flutter kick the house down (only takes like 15 seconds but just a hassle) to make it like another FD.

Sharky

Smash Master
Fumi was famous for his rediculously fast edge cancelled eggs in melee. Check out just about any of his matches on youtube.

I avoid grabbing the ledge recovering if I can help it. A well placed air dodge or dJC Counter does the trick for me.

cobaltstarfire

Smash Rookie
I don't particularly hate any stages, although platform stages tend to give me some trouble, cause I'm still learning to play on the ground in brawl, so spend more time hopping around than I do with my feet on the ground.

I don't like the edges on Yoshis Island, just cause it forces me to not use the hip drop any near the edges.

If any of the stages with destroyable parts are legal, I hate all of those, always getting in the way of my eggs. >.< (Goes to look at what stages are legal)

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I would say Yoshi does particularly well on grounded stages.
He also isn't bad at stages where he can come up through the bottom of the floor.

With these two things I've noticed in my yoshi game, I really really like Distant Planet.
His egg game works, rising Dairs are possible, and his range is pretty nice. He can kill of the left without too much trouble, and you may get a spike to the left depending on the matchup.
You can be really campy if you're at a disadvantage, or you can be ballsy and go offensive.

Whatever works.

It has the best of both worlds.

TheFast

Smash Lord
i have trouble going through the platforms at battlefeild but i believe it is just my playing style but smashville is by far the best because it shorter than FD and ur eggs and go across the whole stage (and no stupid lip to get slamed again by a gaint monkey)

acecroc

Smash Rookie
Hmmm, what is this famous fumi egg throw that smac speaks of? I need some more tactics in my arsenal.

Oh and my fav stage is easily FD, yoshi is free to roam and no platforms obstruct his aerial game. Least favorite is easily Battlefield, somehow this level always screws me over. Oh and I hate it when people pick luigi's mansion, I always have to flutter kick the house down (only takes like 15 seconds but just a hassle) to make it like another FD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62MhFSEuH5Q :49 to 1:03

Top Bottom