• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
RIP your hopes and dreams
Am I the only person that didn't have trouble finding his custom moves? (save for Egg Launch, stupid thing that never dropped)
I just played Smash Run as him until I got the moves. I think there's a higher chance of finding custom moves for the character you are playing as.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Hey there everyone.

My name is SSGuy and I am a DFW player and dedicated Rockman main. However, I would like to say that I am 100% committed to sub-maining/alt-ing Yoshi whether it be for match ups or to gain experience with other playstyles.

Yoshi, contrary to past games, is incredibly fun to play and now with an out of shield option, I finally feel like he is a complete character.

There is still a lot of fine tuning I need to work on but I can't wait to see what I can learn and potentially see what I can bring to the table.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I like to use Egg Roll as a fake-out. I'll roll right back to my end of the stage and deactivate at a safe distance, then punish the opponent as he's reacting.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
If you jump out of eggroll and cancel it the second you jump, it pretty much simulates an eggroll shot onstage. The lag of getting out of eggroll is the same, but you go a lot further and the lag is happening while you're moving away from them. (I can't remember where it was but you reminded me that someone asked if jumping made eggroll safer)

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
What are your guy's opinions of having Jiggs as a secondary? I've recently been experimenting with her quite a bit but I'm unsure of what matchups I could effectively use her in. Are there any matchups in which Jiggs is significantly better compared to using Yoshi?

D

Deleted member

Yoshi's Side Special should let him roll down a rainbow if used in the air like his Up Special's new rainbow effect. Other than that I love the new Yoshi.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Guys I think second hit bair is untechable. I just went into training mode with level 9 cpus (which literally tech everything) and it couldn't tech second hit bair. Whiiiiich might just mean that second hit bair to anything is probably guaranteed at most percents.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
You should test this with a human being. *raises hand*
Also, wrong topic! :p

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Guys I think second hit bair is untechable. I just went into training mode with level 9 cpus (which literally tech everything) and it couldn't tech second hit bair. Whiiiiich might just mean that second hit bair to anything is probably guaranteed at most percents.
I've been doing this a lot on For Glory, who certainly aren't the best subjects..... but no one has teched it yet. Generally, I fast fall the second hit to put them in to the ground, from there I turn around jab in to something else, turn around ftilt, or jump as they get up and dair. It may be possible to Fsmash or Dsmash but I haven't tried. If it is techable, no one has done it yet. But at the same time, NO ONE expects it.

Also, does anyone else use Down special to break shields? If the opponent has 75% shield or less it breaks. I usually try to apply pressure and then if they shield next to me its over. The best thing is that near the edge, no matter their percent, they will pop up in a shield break animation and then fall off the stage to their death. I have a couple of these saved on replay that I will upload at some point. Opponents have to be VERY cautious with their shields around yoshi. It is probably possible (just like bowser) to shield the first hit from the ground and then spotdodge or eat the second hit.

Last edited:

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
I got a shield break in about every 5th game.
Down B is ridiculous.

Also it seems like multi hit spikes CAN be teched, as stated by a friend of mine who tried it with MK's FAir.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
ah lame, well if they don't tech, you can down b meaning that you can probably downsmash or upsmash too.

Also down b shield breaks are rediculous lmao. it happens like every 3-4 games sometimes twice in the same game. Also if they're low enough to where the shield might break it can poke too

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Unfortunately i never know what to do with the succesful shieldbreak.
I recently almost killed myself because i derped around.

Last edited:

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Unfortunately i never know what to do with the succesful shieldbreak.
I recently almost killed myself because i derped around.
Dtaunt then fully charge Usmash ( if in middle of the stage) / Ssmash ( if near ledge ) / grounded Yoshi Bomb. If that doesnt KO them then Uair / Fair them.
Works for me.

SuperNictendo

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperNictendo
3DS FC
1118-0218-6083
Hey everyone. Long time smasher, first time Yoshi mainer. After playing around with all the characters in the game I found myself in love with Yoshi's nair. After I saw everything else my favorite reptile had to offer I decided to main him and have been loving it since!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Still boring!!!
I want some footstool combo ****.
Egg Toss > Footstool > Weak nair jab lock (one bounce) > down b

You could also do like a weak nair > bair second hit ground bounce (Assuming its untechable) > follow up

EDIT: Wait weak hit nair doesnt ground bounce noooooo lol. Guess you could fall into them with bair or go weak hit nair > egg lay/down b or something

Last edited:

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I don't know if this will reach the right person, but...

There was a Yoshi player that used the tag "lousy" I just got finished fighting on "for glory" mode (my tag was "jimbo").

Thanks for the awesome games!

Last edited:

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Someone's probably mentioned this at some point but I was messing around with Yoshi the other day and I found something that amused me. If you input shield then jump within a few frames you cancel the shield instantly. After a little bit of experimenting, I found you can replace Jump with Up Smash/Up B. I don't know how useful this is or if someone else has found it already.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
No problems with that here! but then again I also co-mained Bowser/Mario in Brawl who both heavily relied on Up B OoS

Last edited:

Boshi PV

Just another Wolf
3DS FC
2724-0961-4824
Switch FC
3729-0626-1690
I find muself saying Juice to remind myself I have JOoS haha that's how I've started to get into the habit, lol.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Speaking of OoS things, have people not been getting hit by up smash OoS when you guys are on the way down from attempting these Hip Drop shieldbreaks?

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I'm not talking about out of shield options, I'm talking about how you can cancel the shield instantly, the shield is never visible.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
RIP your hopes and dreams
My Broken Dreams,

What's that metronome I hear,
perhaps the end is drawing near,
you never hear the shot that takes you down,

Out of time, so say good bye,
what is yours, now is mine,

And I'll dream broken dreams,
I make them come true,
I make them for you,

Bad Dreams come true, I'll make them for you, Bad Dreams come true, I'll make them for you.

I make them for you...

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I don't have high hopes for the patch. Knowing how Sakurai thinks of balance, Yoshi will become either completely broken or completely useless (again).

Last edited:

Shiri

Smash Chump
Hip drop shieldbreaks? What is that if you don't mind me asking?
Referring to people breaking shields with Down+B. I would imagine some characters can OoS up smash to hit Down+B on the way down.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I doubt the patch will affect us that much, but I'm hoping it will give Sheik a much needed nerf. I just can't deal with that pressure no matter what I try.

Unrelated, since replays will no longer be functioning post-patch, I was recording some of my matches and thought I should share this funny ending to a for glory match!

The footstool was actually luck. I was just trying to mash jump to return to the stage :p

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
I don't have high hopes for the patch. Knowing how Sakurai thinks of balance, Yoshi will become either completely broken or completely useless (again).
I highly doubt that as i guess that actually Namco will do the balancing work.
It can't be a coincidence, that the appearing of Namco and a suddenly well balanced Smash come together.

Sakurai is working with these guys together, and they know how to balance a fighting game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom