• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi placings in offline tournaments?

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Just curious as to how high a Yoshi player has placed in off line tournaments? I've only managed to get 9th several times but now the tournament scene is getting more competitive. Has any Yoshi player won a REAL off line tournament or came close?

bigman40

Smash Master
I can't get to any offline tournaments where im at. Maybe when i'm on summer break for college I'll attempt to get to an actual tournament.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Nothing big, but I've been sweeping a large portion of my area with Yoshi.

Even beat a MK in the last round with 2 stocks left. =P

Ditto with Bigman though, college = no-go for roaming the country-side, looking to throw down. And honestly, I can't use Yoshi on WFC. My lag is horrible, so I use characters less dependent on the timing/tech aspect and more dependent on mind-games.

D

Deleted member

I got 13th in a tourney, but thats cuz i had to leave early =P

PRiDE

Smash Lord
bleh. I can two stock an okay meta kight.. but there is a huge gap between okay mk's and GOOD mk's...

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
I got 13th out of 20 (40 before pools) i lost to a MK ><

and 17th out of 63, although i shouldn't of lost the match i did Sd's ftl

sk3tch

Smash Rookie
i have'nt played at any tournaments for brawl yet, but i see no reason for Yoshi to not be at the top....then again not many people use him. Only time will tell.

Aggression

Smash Apprentice
if there was a tier list, yoshi would be at the top of mid (considering there's no one thats god/bottom/low(just ganon))

D

Deleted member

I got 17th outta 56th at a recent one. Lost to one of the best snakes if not the best in san diego, and a beastly c falcon (i know wtf, but seriously, it felt like being combod in melee).

GodotAA

Smash Ace
Yoshi is a hard character to play in tournaments. If its the same PRiDE i fought agaisnt in the NYC weekly a couple weeks back i remember some one told me you placed pretty well a few weeks before. MK -Yoshi is a terrible match up but if you are good with yoshi and have a good strategy you can hold you own against the over powered characters your going to see at tourneys even with a character like yoshi who gets no respect.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
yeah godot its me. dam u and that mk! lol. Yeah i took 9th or 7th one week i cant remember. snakeee knows. yeah but do u have any idea how hard I had to fight in order to even make it look like that match was close? i was exhausted just by thinking so hard! lol

GodotAA

Smash Ace
I have a friend who plays a decent yoshi. His play style is different so it too me a while to adjust to your gameplay. But still the Mk - Yoshi match is just so terrible to the point where i play different characters against my friend. Im gonna say i was really surprised when you picked yoshi. I was like Yoshi for real and i was very impressed the way you played him. I'm also new to the weeklies so thats another reason i wasn't expecting to see a serious yoshi player.

D

Deleted member

Da chozen one has spoke *bows and trys out nair->jab->grab*

TheFast

Smash Lord
alot of people who enter tournaments dont understand yoshi will try and sub him then loss badly with him and futher the thought of him being a bad character ive herd this alot from tournament standing and most of the real brawlers (aka yoshi players:laugh:) know he is one of, if not the, best characters in brawl and shouldnt be underestimated because people who dont know him think he is bad

Ace55

Smash Lord
alot of people who enter tournaments dont understand yoshi will try and sub him then loss badly with him and futher the thought of him being a bad character ive herd this alot from tournament standing and most of the real brawlers (aka yoshi players:laugh:) know he is one of, if not the, best characters in brawl and shouldnt be underestimated because people who dont know him think he is bad
Compared to all the crazy recoveries out there Yoshi is just to gimpable to be (one of) the best character(s) in Brawl. Although he's certainly not a bad character. He's fairly heavy, has reasonable range, power, an extended grab and a nice projectile. Yoshi Bomb at the right time works like a nice stall then fall aerial and his Bair, Uair, and Dair give him a fairly good aerial game.
I love Yoshi, but he's just to d@mn gimpable (although that doesn't stop Snake from beeing proclaimed top tier).

Czech

Smash Cadet
Yea PRiDE I played you at that tournament in NJ last weekend. Before it started I was the 14 year old who played Diddy name was Tom Moyer in tournament. I have to say I was really impressed didn't think yoshi was good at all. B-Air U-Smash seems to be REALLY good.

IceAge

Smash Cadet
Compared to all the crazy recoveries out there Yoshi is just to gimpable to be (one of) the best character(s) in Brawl. Although he's certainly not a bad character. He's fairly heavy, has reasonable range, power, an extended grab and a nice projectile. Yoshi Bomb at the right time works like a nice stall then fall aerial and his Bair, Uair, and Dair give him a fairly good aerial game.
I love Yoshi, but he's just to d@mn gimpable (although that doesn't stop Snake from beeing proclaimed top tier).
Yoshi's recov is not even horrible. I've been gimped maybe once in every ten battles. Just time your air dodges correctly and Super Armor frames of his double jump. Egg throw to get some more vertical and horizontal movement and unpredictableness.

Honestly, recovery doesn't play that big of a deal to the tier placing of characters. Pikmin and Olimar, although not top tier is surely at least high, and has the most gimpible recovery in the game.

The real reason Yoshi is held back is lack of killing potensial. Sure, we've got Forward smash, Upsmash if fresh. But nearly every Yoshi I know doesn't keep the Up-smash fresh, its too good for combing, f-smash becomes predictable and hard to set up. Up-air only kills at around 120% fresh, although I love the move for combos. Foward air is a decent spike, hard to set up though. Neutral air, if DI'd, can be easily survived until mid 100's.

Yoshi is a well rounded character, lacking some KO potential, but the fo' real reason he is held back is... He is a well rounded character. He is a jack of all trades. He has no real strength, and has to play to his opponents weakness. There are characters out there who can combo better then him [Fox; Falco], spam projectiles better [R.O.B.; Toon Link], KO faster and better [Snake; Ice Climbers], out prioritize him [Pikachu; Metaknight], and out range him [Marth; Pikmin and Olimar].

Well, this turned out longer then what I expected it to be. Anyways, long post short; The characters who excel in something will always be put at the top, due to being able to play at they're own tempo. Yoshi is a great character, but held back at excelling at nothing.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
"I have to say I was really impressed didn't think yoshi was good at all. B-Air U-Smash seems to be REALLY good.""

im slightly confused with this fragmented sentence. did he like yoshi or didnt think my yoshi was good at all lolol

Czech

Smash Cadet
"I have to say I was really impressed didn't think yoshi was good at all. B-Air U-Smash seems to be REALLY good.""

im slightly confused with this fragmented sentence. did he like yoshi or didnt think my yoshi was good at all lolol
I thought yoshi was just a really bad character that was unable to win with. I was proven wrong

D

Deleted member

Hes not one of the best characters in brawl, play better people (or maybe ur like the greatest yoshi ever and can beat all characters well) =P

TheFast

Smash Lord
gimping a good yoshi is harder than u think its clear u havnt played a good yoshi player

Top Bottom