• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi- not that bad?

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
All throughout my time playing Melee, the one character who I have had no ability to play was that ****ing dinosaur, yoshi. Today, I accidentally played him against a lv. 9 and really enjoyed just his playing form. I quickly found out a couple egg combos, ftilt juggles, a couple tricks. This aside, I suck with him. Like, I win 2 out of 30 matches with him. I do, however, like playing with him. I was wondering what tips anyone has for gathering a battle-ready yoshi.

Sir_Kibble

Smash Cadet
The "How to Hatch a Healthy Yoshi" Guide is good for specific numbers and frame times, but if you just want general advice:

Learn to handle the double jump (and consecutive air attacks). Just get comfortable with how yoshi moves in general, or you'll get gimped and punished so many times starting out it'll blow your mind. Try not to throw moves with tremendous punish time out all the time (dsmash is awesome, but don't miss ...)

Adjust to the strange sheild (as much as you can) to maximize your yoshi experience. Jumping out of sheild is rarely an option, but don't forget you can light sheild to send yourself flying so you can gain a little extra time to get away.

And Eggs were meant to be tossed, not rolled. Egg toss is awesome. It sets up for combos and does a fairly hefty 10% damage. Egg roll on the other hand, will get you chased down and killed by any self-respecting medium speed player. Use it mostly as a last ditch effort to make the edge when you think your air-dodge will get noticed.

Long story short: Yoshi is odd. Get comfortable with him and use a WTF factor against your opponents. Of course, I'm a bit of a noob, too so take everything with a grain of salt.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You're wrong he really is that bad.

But in all seriousness his only good feature is his momentum-shifting DJC that can turn him around and do sexiness.

If you want to play him learn how to move with sexy and DJC Uair juggle. Also, egg stall, the double jump edgehog, and your tilts (when to use them, how to space them, how to angle F-tilt, etc) are also useful.

Also, get used to having a really bad shield game and no means of grabbing efficiently.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, KirbyKaze summed it up nicely. Platform dashing works really good into sex kicks. As for the shield game, the best thing you can do is get down light shielding to try space yourself away from people who are putting heavy shield pressure on you.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
The only thing he has that looks amazing is his ability to short hop (or full jump) away from someone out of a dash (when he's running away from them) and then turn around randomly (thanks to his ******** DJC) and punish them with a really quick aerial and possibly a combo.

Like, that ability to shift his momentum super quickly (he can essentially throw his momentum left or right) especially into a combo starter like Fair or just a simple Nair --> F-tilt combo or whatever or Nair shield pressure gives him a lot flexible defenses and feints.

His double jump is also very interesting for its weight changing trait, that allows some creative edgeguards on some characters and some interesting counter-attack strategies. Double jump right as you're hit and then Nair or something is pretty awesome. Yoshi's got some cool stuff.

His downfall(s) is that if they have more range than him he has no way of getting inside (no grab, no waveshield, and if they space they can't be hit by silly counter attack strategies) and he's susceptible to a lot of gayness by the faster characters. His priority comparatively to the higher end characters is also so-so and none of it's disjointed either.

edit: Also, Sheik.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
No grab? Are you serious.

Sure yoshi's grab isnt great, but it's still viable.

NOT TO MENTION YOSHI IS ACTUALLY ONE OF THE 3 CHARACTERS IN THE GAME WITH AN AIRGRAB. (the others being bowser and kirby)

And if you dont have a clue what im talking about, im talking about neutral b.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You can't do his more viable grab out of shield in any means though.

And viable =/= doesn't suck. Yoshi's bad. He has to use his other moves so he can pretend he has some semblance of a mixup game because he doesn't have enough good moves to make a mixup game. Even if his other mixups are slow and awkward and have misleadingly mediocre range...

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
yeah yoshi cant grab outta shield.

And I never wanted to give the impression that I think yoshi is good. He's pretty bad, but it's not like he's COMPLETE garbage.

.... he's just a beta character. >.>

Velox

Smash Ace
I think he's a pretty middle-of-the-road character actually. The tier list certainly has him too low (as it's based on tournaments and some of the characters have never done as well in tournament as Svampen alone). Really, it's his wild nature and weirdness that puts him ahead.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think he's a pretty middle-of-the-road character actually. The tier list certainly has him too low (as it's based on tournaments and some of the characters have never done as well in tournament as Svampen alone). Really, it's his wild nature and weirdness that puts him ahead.
Ummmm no.

Just no.

Velox

Smash Ace
What's wrong? Did I misspell anything? Do you disagree with the tier list being based entirely upon tournament wins? Or do you just feel like being an idiot today.

rhan

Smash Hero
If anything Yoshi is too high on the tier list.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Gee, and I thought Brawl Yoshi had it bad

I still don't understand this "Yoshi is a Beta Character" crap....

Shiri

Smash Chump
Gee, and I thought Brawl Yoshi had it bad

I still don't understand this "Yoshi is a Beta Character" crap....
:yoshi: You have no idea.

Like, if there were anything you never had any idea about, this would be it.

Velox

Smash Ace
heh, you guys are gay XD

but SERIOUSLY, Ness is about Yoshi? wtf, good players with Yoshi constantly beat good characters played by good characters because Yoshi is wild. Name one Ness player that matches Svampen's tournament record. Name one. Sib'n Sid or whatever is really good with him, but does that really stack up for Ness?

He should be on the same tier as DK, Roy, Pikachu, etc. But no, he's on the list of characters where there is no major tourney player whom plays him.

I guess it's just PAL.. but I dunno.. But Fumi (he's allegedly godly) plays NTSC.. ..

ok... Svampen playing PAl really stamps out some of my thunder (you got me there), but I still won't concede putting Yoshi at least up to the next tier..

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Yoshi can be a really good character if you know how to play him

EXAMPLES: Eggm and Fumi
You're right.

Bowser's not bad at all, look at gimpy.

/nonotreally.

Actually, I'm joking entirely, Yoshi's pretty good once you got pressure on them.

:093:

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
The "How to Hatch a Healthy Yoshi" Guide is good for specific numbers and frame times, but if you just want general advice:

Learn to handle the double jump (and consecutive air attacks). Just get comfortable with how yoshi moves in general, or you'll get gimped and punished so many times starting out it'll blow your mind. Try not to throw moves with tremendous punish time out all the time (dsmash is awesome, but don't miss ...)

Adjust to the strange sheild (as much as you can) to maximize your yoshi experience. Jumping out of sheild is rarely an option, but don't forget you can light sheild to send yourself flying so you can gain a little extra time to get away.

And Eggs were meant to be tossed, not rolled. Egg toss is awesome. It sets up for combos and does a fairly hefty 10% damage. Egg roll on the other hand, will get you chased down and killed by any self-respecting medium speed player. Use it mostly as a last ditch effort to make the edge when you think your air-dodge will get noticed.

Long story short: Yoshi is odd. Get comfortable with him and use a WTF factor against your opponents. Of course, I'm a bit of a noob, too so take everything with a grain of salt.
LOL at saying jumping out of shield is rarely an option.

I think that would be good and all like if it were possible but I could see the not being able to do it thing bumping it down to rarely.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Well, technically...

...nah, nevermind.

And Velox, NTSC had some decent Yoshi players, but not anywhere near the strength of PAL Yoshis. We had Gabe, Unrefined, D1 (who never really took Yoshi to big tournaments, unfortunately), and Tacoom (who was plagued with stuckinthemiddleofnowhere-itis) along with Fumi (who has always looked as good as the hype dictates). It's unfortunate, but NTSC just never had the strong following that Bringer, Svampen, and others created in other parts of the world.

Top Bottom