• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi ETS Video Tutorial

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: FINISHED!
heres the link -----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74UzYbtWWfY

hey i know i haven't been here in awhile but don't worry i'm still loyal to yoshi :yoshi:

So I've been working on this Yoshi ETS video recently, similar in format to the Sheik DACUS one I did a few months ago. (heres link) I'm finding this one to be a little harder to do actually so I was hoping I could get some advice.

This is the basic outline the video:
"Egg Toss Slide (ETS) is an AT specific to Yoshi. It allows you to slide backwards while throwing an egg. Basically you have to run, jump but immediately do upB in the opposite direction. There's a couple different ways to accomplish this, you just have to find the way you like. Some people use tap jump (though it is generally not recommended for Yoshi). Others set jump to another button like Z or R. Let me show you my way."

"First go to controller config, turn tap jump off and set R to jump. Now lets try it out in training mode. Heres a regular running upB. Note that it only works after a certain distance and it doesn't slide. So to do the ETS I use this split-second sequence:
Run (right or left) + R set as jump + B and up, then direction u want to throw in (usually opposite so do like a half circle)
Heres some demonstrations."

"Note this will take practice to slide backward while throwing the egg instead of 'bouncing' forward. You will also have to work on ur aim during it. Heres some applications!"

Use for spacing
Grab the edge for ECE setup
Go forward and follow it up
Use w/pivot grab for defense

"So I hope you learned from this video and good luck with ETS. And remember this is not the only way, see what works best for you!"

TEH ENDZ

So thats what I have so far but i think i need to make some changes...
First of all I think i need to distinguish between the slide and the bounce more, which i believe is the proper term for when u turn around but also come back instead of sliding away from the opponent, unless you guys have a better term heh. I may also have to reword some things or provide better explanations. I was trying to keep it concise but it still needs to be clear.

Any other comments/suggestions appreciated. I should be uploading it soon after I edit it a little more. I just hope people find it useful.
And yes i'll be using a 3D GCN controller demo again, this time lit and textured ;)

Airborne

Smash Lord
i think you should say instead of spacing for uses that it allows you to space properly while pressuring. =P
sounds good though i can help you if needed. also, make sure you mention that you can use L=jump instead of R

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
I like the GC model that went with it. Pretty cool stuff, you should make more showing off the rest of Yoshi's techniques.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
thanks, i hope ppl find it useful...the reason i did it was b/c it often involves some control configuring and just the video w/ explanation should be helpful, plus i have gotten it down pretty well...which i can't say for DR

and if ur a Yoshi fan i think u'll appreciate the pics and music stuff heh

i think the part i added about ETB v ETS worked out well

auroreon

Smash Ace
I was sceptical when I first saw this thread as ETS is such a simple technique, but despite that this is a very nice informative video for those who haven't learnt this.
The GC controller model is very nice and really helps the video. Great work.
You should make a video for each of these little techniques, although they are pretty basic its nice to have a well made tutorial video for them.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
it is pretty basic but i also find it difficult sometimes to get the slide instead of the bounce
and if this gets enough attention i'll consider making more

auroreon

Smash Ace
I agree, the controller model is great for showing off how to perform techs. I know a DR video would be really useful for people, would be good if u could make one. If you need footage of DR and implementation I can provide it.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Perfect timing. I was going to talk about the method which I use to ECE and ETS.

Ah, might as well talk about it here while I'm at it.

It's easier to perform ETS when Tap Jump is on. But that screws up your ECE and recovery tactics.

So, I continued to use "X" as jump, and to press X/B Up to throw my egg. But the thing is, I can't do it yet holding the controller the standard way. Not with Tap Jump off, anyways.

I use only three fingers I suppose, in order to ETS. X/B and Up on the control stick at the same time.

I have to shift the controller around, in order to accomplish ETS. I use my middle, and index finger on my right hand for the X/B, and my thumb for the control stick configuration. It's much easier to perform with Tap Jump on, but that screws up nearly every other aspect of Yoshi's game.

TL;DR: I think I've found my method of which to ETS, while ECE'ing and such.

*Edit* Oooh, very nice video. Liked the Gamecube model demonstrating how to perform ETS.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Very good video to a very good Yoshi technique. Well done!

By the way, how did you create that GC controller? It looks awesome! =O

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
Perfect timing. I was going to talk about the method which I use to ECE and ETS.

Ah, might as well talk about it here while I'm at it.

It's easier to perform ETS when Tap Jump is on. But that screws up your ECE and recovery tactics.

So, I continued to use "X" as jump, and to press X/B Up to throw my egg. But the thing is, I can't do it yet holding the controller the standard way. Not with Tap Jump off, anyways.

I use only three fingers I suppose, in order to ETS. X/B and Up on the control stick at the same time.

I have to shift the controller around, in order to accomplish ETS. I use my middle, and index finger on my right hand for the X/B, and my thumb for the control stick configuration. It's much easier to perform with Tap Jump on, but that screws up nearly every other aspect of Yoshi's game.

TL;DR: I think I've found my method of which to ETS, while ECE'ing and such.

*Edit* Oooh, very nice video. Liked the Gamecube model demonstrating how to perform ETS.
seems awkward to shift ur hand position like that, but hey whatever works for u and good point
i think i'll add that in the description that it is easier to do w/ tap jump btw

and thx again for comments...the controller i made in Maya, originally for a class heh :cool:

o and if i do decide to do a DR one then i would need help so i'll think about it, and if anyone has any ideas let me know

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
most yoshis leave it off though right? i mean if ur recovering and u wanna use upB before double jump then tap jump can cause u to SD, can also interfere w/ ECE

i just tried it and it is easier in general, but i still think the slide v bounce thing is an issue either way

King Yo Lu De

Smash Rookie
AWESOME VID !!! I like how you explain how to do it with the controller! You should make more videos later on!! Yoshi ROCKS !! :)

Top Bottom