• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Doubles Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharky

Smash Master
Cause I think we should have one and I still insist that he's better in doubles than in singles when played right. He's a decent tank, has great maneuverability, has a good doubles projectile in that he can send it over his teammate relatively easily without necessarily getting himself into the fray, and his grab game is amazing for end-game play. So lemme know, what do you guys think? If this thread gets enough attention I'll be adding good portions to the Yoshi guide.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I used to **** with him in doubles but now I just use mk and snake in doubles and that works 10x better.

but with yoshi just don't approach, hold stock, and let your partner do most of the fighting.

Teaming with a lucario or mk works well since both those character are amazing at 2v1 and getting kills

Lucario with 5 stocks is broken. For obvious reason. If you ever play a good lucario main teaming with a planknight you will understand what i mean

Sharky

Smash Master
While I definitely agree with holding stock, I wouldn't necessarily say don't approach at all. I'm certainly defensive in teams, but I do try to get into the fray just enough to lure someone away or apply some quick chip damage using my maneuverability. Holding someone in a grab to mess up their teammate's momentum is really fun too lol.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Yeah you can approach when necessary but you just gotta be smart about it

grab releases are nice in teams too

PZ

Smash Lord
My yoshi is weird from others but im going to try to be active by helping with the double discussion.
My idea for good partner is snake(ftilt and utilt kill early while yoshi builds damage and has a chance of saving yoshi with grenade stripping or down b), pikachu(double cg and camp how is that not good also they can combo easy), mk(obviously), lucario(kill early at high percents), and ike(powerful obviously although both of their recoveries suck).
There may be others good but they are the best i can think of.

P.S. I only did like 8 doubles EVAR! so be gentle with remarks.:(

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I've come to pretty much the same conclusion. Smart projectile and heavyness make him a pretty good defensive partner. But again, there are better characters that can fill yoshi's niche.

One thing I found particularly fun was a falco/yoshi projectile wall. Double defensive.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yoshi is a pretty terrible tank.

If you mean, "he gets hit a lot and doesn't die right away," that's not a tank, that's being a punching bag.

Tanking is taking hits and still being able to perform. Yoshi's team survivability is hoping your partner can do 2v1s while you spend five of the eight match minutes recovering from offstage while holding stock.

Now, SAMUS. She's a tank.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I watched Pride play some doubles at some tournaments we were both at, and shiri kind of described what I observed. Yoshi doesn't really do much in Teams, imo. Egg toss and minor damage output. He's really outclassed by other characters for what role he plays.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I tihnk Yoshi has a place in teams.

It's just a really awkward role that isn't clearly defined in normal Smash teams logistics.

I'm still figuring some minor things out, but I think it takes so much work from both the Yoshi player and their partner that it usually isn't worth the effort. My old teams partner and I had been teaming for years and I still had to work on his patience with my Yoshi at times in Brawl--as a matter of fact, the only reason I was successful at teams when I picked Yoshi was because my partner and I were pretty much connected at the hip. I doubt Yoshi could do better even if the individual players on the same team had a markedly higher level of skill.

Sharky

Smash Master
lol double yoshi is a terrible combination XD

Shiri - Yoshi has the tools to avoid being hit, and weave in and out relatively well. If I can hold stock against someone like Cura (you wouldn't know him, shiri but he's around niel/jesse's level individually but better in teams, ask lil' b about him lol), then I'd like to think that Yoshi has something to do with it.

To contribute some personal experience, my partner for the past several tourneys (though he quit now >.<) was a ROB main. We really started to meld together in the past couple tourneys, but we seemed to take turns being the tank and offender, and it worked out really well. The other great thing is we both had projectiles that served really well to get the other out of a tough spot. Our only major problem was MK's, but provided we stayed close together we were able to handle that relatively well, even taking a couple games off of Cura/Snakeee on a couple occasions, and they're the top team here.

D

Deleted member

I have very similar thoughts with shiri on doubles yoshi.
Yoshi is heavy and i have mad good DI, but yoshi is very punching baggy, and he is not really good for tanking blows. His planking is very valuable in some situtations, and with a partner like G&W and lucario, who dont mind taking 2v1s, he can be a nice stock holder while still dealing some damage.
@Delta, falco and yoshi are both ****ty in teams, idk what you would try to accomplish with that.

Ive been playing competative teams for a long time (longer than most of you have been going to tournaments lolz), and im not an excellent teams player still. However, for yoshi i feel its very necessary to have a partner who can accel in rushing in and not dieing xD
G&W is amazing cuz of his up b it gives you a lot of freedom and he kills easy. MK is pretty good but he doesnt have great synergy with yoshi in general.

You also have to be good as singles because brawl teams is a lot more like 1v1 than melee teams were imo.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
lol double yoshi is a terrible combination XD
I'm not so sure about that... Except for one time, the only times I've ever placed top 3 in teams was when I teamed up with another Yoshi player (Juan)...

:069:

Oh.

Smash Apprentice
Double Yoshi

Lil Brutus hatin

Idk how you guys play but I usually do a lot of damage and hold stocks pretty well in doubles (unless I get gimped) but USUALLY my teammate gets kills

there are a lot of fun team combos with yoshi off hit grab release and throws.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
ya i dunno i used to think he was good in teams but not so sure anymore...
its probably b/c i don't like to play as defensive heh
coordination w/ partner may be biggest problem

i agree w/ burntsocks

WmZ74

Smash Cadet
I like using Yoshi in doubles because he's good at finishing aerial setups, his arced projectiles are good for throwing over teammates, egg lay takes one of the opponents out for a few seconds for a momentary gang **** on the other opponent, and Yoshi survives for a bit longer than most while dealing a good amount of damage himself.

Depster

Smash Champion
well I don't know about you guys, but I feel pretty comfortable doing 2v1 as Yoshi after my partner dies. How do you guys feel?

Airborne

Smash Lord
Because camping is straight up silly, although eggs prove more use to me in doubles than singles... When it gets down to 2v1, I tend to work around the ledge more, just so I can run away to it when something looks potentially GG.

I really don't have much to contribute to Yoshi in Doubles, sorry. =\

Sharky

Smash Master
2v1's are ok for yoshi, but he doesn't get kills very well, you pretty much have to rely on opponent mistakes. He can move around and survive really well though, which is always nice in that situation.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I can contribute to 2v1 discussion now!

So, today I was playing against Bizkit and Fatal in doubles, two Snakes. My partner died maaaaaaaaaaad early, leaving me with one stock with each of them having two. I managed to bring them from their low percent two stock lead to 70/80% 1 stock leaf before I died. Mad fun. The replay was saved, hopefully it'll get put up.

Anyways, as far as 2v1 goes, you need to do a lot of edge play and running around. Never stay between the two people for too long, it's bad. Grabs aren't too viable since you'll probably get punished for it, and it's pretty hard to land a kill. The Egg Toss set up is very good for when you get them off stage.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I love 2v1s with yoshi, they are sexy. I've teamed with wario a couple times and i kinda like that team, yoshi's grab release into wario's uair is too good :p

Reim

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi could be a good DPS or Assist, in a 2v2. Yoshi's dair can rack up some damage and there's the egg, which could be handy in some situations, etc. And Yoshi should easily be able to assist due to the mobility.

But of course, that's just my opinion.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yoshi is spectacular assist and support.

He saves more lives than some firefighters I know.

The partner has to be really skilled and smart as well as to have a connection on some level with the Yoshi.

Down air and egg and grab release are three of the better team moves in this game.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
my friend and i were messing around with a falcon yoshi team and i dair'd and caught both opponents, then he followed up with a FALCOWN PAWNCH!!! and they all died, i had just barely enough time to sheild it cuz the timing was pretty much perfect, that could be a good 2v1 strategy lol, 2v2 could be difficult though :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom