• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi: DJC with Air Dodge? (awesome demo vid)

Chepe

Smash Lord
yeah i was watching the correct thing, the animation is just tricky, but what i said is happening is what is happening

sorry
Dont be, but either way I beg to differ. I guess we wont agree on this, but I am very sure that it isnt just Yoshi's double jump that caused him to fall from that high up into the ground (all other Yoshi double jumps in the vid do not take him that far down). Another piece of "evidence" I see is that the player right after landing shielded and let go immediately, which is something rookie wavedashers do a lot.

Its like the player hit the shield button by accident which made him fall and then let go a little after he hit the ground...

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
or he double jumped and then pressed his sheild button and held it to long on accident

he may have tried to wavedash, all that happened was him double jumping quickly and landing, while holding the sheild button

i'm sorry but yoshi doesn't have a magical wavedash other than the waveland that every character has, if that remains in the final version.

D

Deleted member

I ahd a theory abou this a while back, or if this is what i think. I think gimpy is right on this one, though its tough to say for sure.

Chepe

Smash Lord
or he double jumped and then pressed his sheild button and held it to long on accident

he may have tried to wavedash, all that happened was him double jumping quickly and landing, while holding the sheild button

i'm sorry but yoshi doesn't have a magical wavedash other than the waveland that every character has, if that remains in the final version.
Well we cant know that for sure until the game comes out and we can try for ourselves. I bet no one who went to E for All from here tried to air dodge immediately as they double jumped when using Yoshi. Who knows if they would have found it the exception to the momentum aerials thing Yoshi has this time?

I see Yoshi in his air dodge pose as he falls so my mind wont be changed until I see it doesnt work in the final version. In the meantime, I hope people can come to this thread and discuss what they see and the possibilities if what I see is what it is...

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Wait. Wait. I thought that wavedashing was gone?
And from my view, brawl seems to be like N64 smash for some reason. O.o

Chepe

Smash Lord
It looks like I made a big mistake in calling this wavedashing. Now very few know what I am pointing out in the video...

What I am saying is basically: Yoshi looks like he can air dodge downwards after a jump by pressing the shield button IMMEDIATELY after doing a double jump because the slight movement downwards from Yoshi's second jump will be considered when air dodging but it will ignore the "go up" part after the second jump. This means that Yoshi might be able to air dodge diagonally downwards near the ground, and might be able to slide from the momentum, like wavedashing did in Melee...

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Well we cant know that for sure until the game comes out and we can try for ourselves. I bet no one who went to E for All from here tried to air dodge immediately as they double jumped when using Yoshi. Who knows if they would have found it the exception to the momentum aerials thing Yoshi has this time?

I see Yoshi in his air dodge pose as he falls so my mind wont be changed until I see it doesnt work in the final version. In the meantime, I hope people can come to this thread and discuss what they see and the possibilities if what I see is what it is...
I agree with you chepe. Sorry gimpy, but the jump is way to high for a double jump landing :(

You can compare the height to the double jump he does immediately after at 0:47 right before he grabs the star (if you look at the ripples created by his second jump, he's even closer to the platform than the stage at 0:44, and he didn't end up double jump landing.)

If you pause the video between the time he does his double jump and when he lands he's in his air dodge position.

But yeah, this isn't exactly what people would refer to as wavedashing (even though wavedashing is dodging into the ground) as there doesn't seem to be much use for it as of now-_- Its more like a gimped low-to-the-ground DJC where you can't do any attacks lol.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
Yeah dude I totally respect gimpy, but I'm gonna have to disagree with his opinion on that video footage. Could we refer to what we're talking about as wave landing? I thought I read something in Gimpy's impressions at E for all that characters could wave land by using a move that took their momentum sideways and they could then air dodge towards the ground for a wave land or something like that.... I cannot wait to tap into the possibilities in brawl.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
But yeah, this isn't exactly what people would refer to as wavedashing (even though wavedashing is dodging into the ground) as there doesn't seem to be much use for it as of now-_- Its more like a gimped low-to-the-ground DJC where you can't do any attacks lol.
I agree with this.. dosen't look like a big deal to me.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
you might want to switch that to "brawl gameplay video" or something like that

or you should watch some high def planet earth or something ;P

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
even if it is a yoshi-exclusive wavedash... you can only do it in one direction so its uses would be pretty limited...

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
No matter what, it could be used for mind games. If yoshi can attack after the slide from this move then it will definitaly be useful for approaches.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
No matter what, it could be used for mind games. If yoshi can attack after the slide from this move then it will definitaly be useful for approaches.
Mind games work to avoid or trick opponents into doing your bidding, and if that's mind games material...well, it;s not. It takes way too long for him to recover, and it wouldn't work as a mind game. It's just...dumb...

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
He shielded pretty fast out of that landing imo. I'm pretty sure if you do it sooner it could definately be quick enough to throw off your opponent.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
Mind games work to avoid or trick opponents into doing your bidding, and if that's mind games material...well, it;s not. It takes way too long for him to recover, and it wouldn't work as a mind game. It's just...dumb...
I don't know man. If you can get your friend to hesitate for a split second and go what the heck did you just do, and punish him for hesitating, it's a mind game to me. This would only work for the first time I guess but oh well, haha. It doesn't have huge potential for anything, but it does have some potential.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
To me, it just looks funny. I wouldn't be fooled to do anything. I would take the oppertunity to smash him, lol. And, he was kind of stunned after doing it. It didn't look like he could move right after.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Hmm, well the opinion seems pretty split on this. I do believe this has potential as a Yoshi technique, but who knows. It will be something to look out for when the game comes out.

I think Im going to change the name of this thread, so its not misleading. Suggestions? I was thinking something like "Yoshi: DJC with air dodge?"...

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah, that might be better.

I don't think this will actually help Yoshi to improve his technique. Even if it would, this was just in the demo, so it might not even be in the final product.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Done. New title that should hopefully clear up any confusion and not place assumptions in people's heads while reading or looking at the vid. The first post has been modified to make it clear that this is just a DJC done through air dodging that might not remain in the final version of the game...

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
allow me to explain what actually happened in this clip.

once yoshis jumps, he immediately double jumps. his double jump STILL sends him downwards before it sends him upwards (as did peach's double jump) so he simply just lands from doing that. this is not a double jump cancel in any form, this is just a "being really low to the ground and jumping so it sends you into the ground" cancel.

dont get to excited peoples, his airdodge doesn't stop his momentum, you cant double jump cancel, and double jumping really quickly like that always had those kinds of effects, and they are generally not useful at all

so everyone needs to calm down.
I agree with Gimpy. He doesn't DJC from his air doge. In fact, he didn't DJC at all.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Ive repeated this many times: Yoshi was too high for that to be landing from his double jump. In fact, you see him double jump a few seconds later to get the starman and he doesnt go down as much as he did when he did the stunt I point out. And then Yoshi is falling in his air dodge pose too, if you look very carefully.

If his air dodge only takes into account the momentum from falling at the beginning of his second jump into consideration when initiating the second jump, then he would be in fact DJCing with an air dodge. Because he would be canceling his double jump...

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I just watched the video, and it looks perfectly normal. Yoshi did his second jump too low. His second jump now sends him down first for a moment before going up.
You make like it didn't send him down in melee? lol.

Did you see the jump he does immediately after the DJC in question at 0:47? Check out the second jump he does right before he grabs the star, and I want you to tell me that it is higher than the DJC + air dodge Chepe is talking about. He should have landed on that platform if that first DJC + air dodge was too close to the ground, but he doesn't.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Very nice. Too bad he doesn't have the super armor when he semiDJCs. However, I guess it won't matter since he kept the invincibility frames until he landed.

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
The possibilities of yoshi are great if these theories i`ve read have any truth to them when brawl comes out. This is pretty awesome :D

Top Bottom