• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Combo Vid: He's Better in Brawl! Watch!

DirectDK

Smash Cadet
Hello all! After a week of playing Brawl, I decided to make a few combo videos! I know after a few months, these combos will probably be outdated (and granted, I'm playing against CPs), but really I think it will give the people who haven't tried Brawl yet a good idea of how the game plays. I've always enjoyed and played Melee and 64 at a competitive level, so if you are like me, I think you'll enjoy watching these vids! Plus, it took me all of yesterday to edit these **** things. I got a little carried away with matching the spikes with the music. =P What can I say?!

Yoshi Combo Vid (Youtube)
Yoshi Combo Vid (Gametrailers)
- If you'd like to download the original Xvid file, you can click here. -

This video is dedicated to his aerial game, and the overall awesomeness that is YOSHI:
- YOU WON’T MISS THE DOUBLE JUMP CANCEL. When I heard they took out the DJC combos, I was very sad! But SERIOUSLY, you won't miss it AT ALL. Yoshi's air game is SO MUCH BETTER and it was already good to begin with. Combined with his extra strength double jump, his floatiness, his strong quick air moves, and now not having to worry about helplessly falling off the edge after performing an aerial (thus canceling his jump), I find it very natural and less risky to edge guard with him. He can whip out two to three Forward-Airs during his jump, and after doing his Neutral-Air you can control his movement even better than before. Yoshi practically glides in the air. It's awesome.
- Yoshi’s new elongated tail is your best friend. Back-Airs are amazing.
- Neutral-Airs are still strong and quick. Even without the DJC, it's still very useful.
- Yoshi can now do his Neutral-B in the air (facing the stage) and almost immediately grab the edge. Not that it's THAT useful, but you know how gratifying it is to swallow your opponents and pop them out off the edge every ONCE in a while. Well now, you can do it, grab the edge immediately, and have the upper hand to do a spike or drill kick, etc etc.
- Yoshi’s new 3rd jump is short, but it DOES help. Plus the fact that characters auto grab the edge when facing the wrong way, having that elevated Egg Toss is a big buff for Yoshi.

Hope you enjoy the vid! If you like it, I also uploaded a Fox video too. You can find it HERE.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Yoshi's definitely not as bad as people think.

Even though you were fighting a computer the whole time >_>

DirectDK

Smash Cadet
definitely cant do the same combos on a real person
especially those edgeguards
Hah! I don't know about that man. Granted, playing the CP is much easier and predictable, but I've been doing similar combos in Melee for many years with competitive players and they INDEED work. But anyways, like I said above, I've only had Brawl for a week, and this video is mostly just to show my fellow Yoshi fans how he plays/handles.

Boxob

Smash Champion

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman

?

lol, I just watched this video in the General Brawl Discussion, and then I came here. Oh boy, another Yoshi combo video! lol It's the same one. :psycho:

You were facing a computer, which isn't bad, but it's nicer to see a human player tormented, because computers don't experience pain, which leads to them making the same mistakes over and over again.

However, the Yoshi was ferocious, and the video was amazing, so it's a 8 out of 10. :)

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I like those double sex kicks off the ledge, and stage spikes lol. At 3:14 was that a down air to a footstool jump? Whatever it was, it was frick'n sweet. Good job.

Crazyfingers

Smash Apprentice
those combos are definitely good and they do work sometimes but you have to consider that a real player DIs, techs, recovers, approaches, defends, attacks much more differenty than a cpu, sure the combos work when the person ends up DIing and teching the same way as the cpu but they wont work all the time, i already know cause i played brawl already and did the same things with yoshi (my friend has the japanese wii and japanese copy)

elbryan

Smash Cadet
Yoshi seems to be better this time around with a lot more potential. Can't wait to see you/other yoshi mains to fight other competitive players. It'd always be cool to see Yoshi become more popular.

Sharky

Smash Master
It was against a CPU, so it's not quite the same. However, stuff like this is definitely possible. I liked the double nair edgeguards, personally =D

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I play exactly like that...makes me feel good that i don't have to adjust to much with yoshi

Chepe

Smash Lord
Dude, that down air to footstool jump at 3:17 was amazing! He didnt have a second jump anymore so I thought he was going to die along with Fox but he was able to jump high enough to grab on the ledge! If that can be done consistently in practice Yoshi's edgeguarding game with that move will have little risk!

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I dunno how many humans will fall for this sort of stuff, but air superiority does seem to be Yoshi's game now. It was almost hilarious how brutally yoshi can treat people in the air and still live. Double nairs, dair to footstool, and of course well timed fairs. The nair that knocked fox into the side of FD's right edge and killed him almost made me laugh out loud.

And your opponent, if they suffer something like that, has to put up with the humiliation of Yoshi buzzing around like a bee and making cute squeaky noises with each attack. Very cool.

DirectDK

Smash Cadet
Greetings fellow Yoshi fans. =) Glad you all like the video! I made one for Fox too, but I was much more excited to post this one up because as you can tell, I love Yoshi. =) And seriously, there's not enough Yoshi exposure in this game!

Anyways, to answer some questions...

What level were those CPUs?
I set the level to 7, because I noticed level 9 was just too ridiculous. It's not like level 9's were too hard, but they would just do stuff that humans would NEVER do (same with level 9 comps in Melee). Like when I played a level 9 Marth, everytime I would attack, the computer would almost always do a Marth counter to the point where it was just annoying. Although, I do think the AI is better this time around. Like in Melee, I never recall CPU players edgehogging, but in Brawl, there would be times the CPU would do that quick fall off the edge and then immediate edge grab. I was so shocked the first time they did that to me. Haha.

About the Dair to footstool... YES, it's quite amazing! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do it consistently, but it happens every so often. All you have to do is just mash the jump button as you finish the drill. Granted, if you have the 2nd jump still, you'll just jump as normal (and since he has that extra upB, you can really follow the opponent VERY LOW off the edge and still get back), but for those times you're extra desperate and have no jumps left, the footstool has saved me a few times.

And in general, with any character, the footstool jump is INSANELY high. It's pretty ridiculous.

ArtieBoy said:
have you ever seen fumi play with yoshi in ssbm?
Yes I have, and I must admit, he was quite the inspiration!!!

Thanks again guys, for all the nice comments. I had lots of fun editing this video. Actually I added in the "yoshi" line more often because in the original song, it only happens like 5 times or something. Haha. And yeah, feel free to ask more questions if you're wondering about anything! Sometimes I have nothing to do here at work. =P

Opfer

Smash Cadet
:yoshi: I applaud you for taking the time to make this video, sir.
ZOMG, Shiri has arrived on the Brawl boards! ;)

Well, even though it's vs. a CPU, it clearly shows one thing:

No DJC -> Awesome air game very deep in the hole. This is gonna be good.

Chrisgopher

Smash Cadet
I was just amazed at Yoshi's ability to pull off airborne attacks and then keep jumping back on the stage. I've never done much of that when I play, I just beat my enemies senseless and then give them a good smash or two off the stage.

Does Yoshi's head look bigger to anyone in this game? I like the Melee Yoshi design better.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Did a lot of playing with Yoshi yesterday and I have a few thoughts. Yes, he's better than he was in melee, but his comboability is nil and it's near impossible to combo into a smash unless you only hit with the first few hits of backair or something of the like.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Did a lot of playing with Yoshi yesterday and I have a few thoughts. Yes, he's better than he was in melee, but his comboability is nil and it's near impossible to combo into a smash unless you only hit with the first few hits of backair or something of the like.
<_< Um...

Maybe you just suck? D:> LORFMAOMGJKHART<3

But seriously, you only played with him for one day. I doubt that's enough time to reprogram your mind and your hands for Yoshi in Brawl.

Also, the point of the video wasn't to show to show off DirectDK's skill (which I must admit, I was impressed with), it was to show that Yoshi can combo.

Yoshi can combo! Hoorah and a half!

...It's just that these combos are...unlike the ones we're used to. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. No one else is used to these combos either, and no one expects Yoshi in the same way that no one expects the Spanish Inquisition. For a month or two I predict we'll have the advantage. Once Yoshi becomes more mainstream we'll have to start getting innovative and tricky, though.

So good **** DirectDK. Good **** indeed.

The Last Yoshi

Smash Rookie
Everyone should really watch this video for Yoshi's combat potential. Computers or no, just about everything that has happened here is legitimate and very good material to expand upon as we learn more about Brawl Yoshi.

I'm going to be linking this video in many of my posts regarding Yoshi's newfound abilities. Great job man. Hope to see more from you against human opponents, I know you'll be doing great.

Chrisgopher

Smash Cadet
I read on the SmashWiki that Yoshi's smash moves are a bit weaker in Brawl than before. Is this true? If it is that would blow because I relied a lot on his smash moves in previous games.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
I read on the SmashWiki that Yoshi's smash moves are a bit weaker in Brawl than before. Is this true? If it is that would blow because I relied a lot on his smash moves in previous games.
If you watch the combo video here, you can clearly see it, especially the downsmash. At percentages where Melee Yoshi's Downsmash would have annihilated, it barely sends the guy off the platform. I've heard it doesn't guarantee a kill from the middle of FD against a non-DIing opponent until something like 170%.

His tilts and aerials make up for this though. His Back aerial is beastly good, Forward Air is a strong meteor and hits hard if it doesn't meteor, Up-Air can kill juggle and kill even better than Melee's, Neutral air is even better than melee's, and Down Air comes out a little faster.

Chrisgopher

Smash Cadet
That lack of smash power is still a bummer though. Seems a bit unfair to just take it away to me, despite the fact that his air moves are a little better.

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
DirectDK, I'm a Yoshi main to. When the US version comes out Ill give you my FC and we can play sometime. :)

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
I stopped watching when I saw that it was vs the cpu
Thats pretty lame. Not everyone has a stable internet connection or other Smash playing friends to play with. CPUs are the only option for some people. Plus, wheres your combo video? At least hes contributing something.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
...I hate to say this in the Yoshi forum that wasn't very impressive.
Sure it looks like he got some buffs and all but that still doesn't really change my opinion about how bad Yoshi is in brawl, also I think in melee had more going for him then brawls as demonstrated in this video so over all Yoshi has been made worst.

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
...I hate to say this in the Yoshi forum that wasn't very impressive.
Sure it looks like he got some buffs and all but that still doesn't really change my opinion about how bad Yoshi is in brawl, also I think in melee had more going for him then brawls as demonstrated in this video so over all Yoshi has been made worst.
How has he been made worse?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
How has he been made worse?
With the removal of DJC.

DJC made his movements very hard to predict and allow him to switch to his fair that could spike or the longer portions of his nair. I don't think theses little improvement out weigh the potential he use to have with DJC.

Top Bottom