• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yeah, um... I need some help

2PIMP

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, i'm new here and was wondering if anybody could give me some pointers.

See, I recently started playing as Sheik. Mainly because I found out that you HAD to switch to Zelda in order to actually KO people without the risk of soaking up anymore damage
that had to be taken. That's cool and all but...

I SUCK PLAYING AS ZELDA!!! Seriously, I don't like sitting there constantly throwing fireballs
hoping people will be dumb enough to sit there and take it. It's cheap, and alot of players online can dodge them easily. I never used Zelda that much in melee, and it seems no matter how much I practice, I just end up doing that stupid fireball thing. And whats
worse is that people who play as her online don't even NEED to switch to Sheik
to kick my butt.

I mean, I know Zelda has alot of power and all. And she's ALOT easier to use than
she was in melee. But I can't really think of a single combo or anything that actually
worked for me.

So what should I do? Other than trying a different character(Sheik is not worth giving up on)

Phazonin

Smash Cadet
Oh I know, Sheik is very tough to finish with... I usually just stick with one or the other though. You don't wanna abuse Din's Fire because it's too predictable. Instead use it to approach. Follow it with a grab or a dash. Mix it up so you're not so easily read. Her down tilt can be spammed and it has a pretty high percentage to trip the opponent, knowing this you can follow it with a smash or something else that works for you.

I have a question though, does switching from Sheik to Zelda reset the attack decay? Does anybody know?

2PIMP

Smash Rookie
Thanks man, I really appreciate it. It's kinda wierd switching between two seperate fighting styles so I only switch to Zelda mainly for the finishing blow. I find that if I switch too often, it throws off my game entirely, but i've seen people online who seem to have no problem with it. I just wish I could help you
with your question though, i'm kind of a newbie when it comes to that stuff.

Kayn

Smash Cadet
Yes switching to one or the other does reset attack decay.

2PIMP: I am by far inexperienced with zelda/sheik but I can tell you that if you manage to knock your opponent off stage that should always grant you enough time to transform into Zelda. After that all you have to worry about is connecting with a sweetspotted fair/bair or hyphen smashing. You could try for an utilt but I find them more difficult to pull off than a usmash.

Hope that helps

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
You dont actually -need- to switch to zelda to get kO's, it's just way easier to catch someone with an up smash if theyre too spot dodge happy because of fighting sheik. Some players actually wait for the switch to zelda then do as much damage to you when they know you're using the character you don't know as well, and in the case the person's easiest matchup is zelda, you'd have been better off getting that killshot with sheik honestly.

That said, dtilt to dsmash (or front tilt, or up tilt) and up smash are you main killshots as zelda.

If you like playing as sheik, get used to gimp kills and sneaking in those smash attacks. At the % an up smash will actually kill a heavyweight, even unnegated, you could have probably worked something out with sheik too. For the lightweights, go nuts on them with zelda.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
I'm not a Shiek user but a friend of mine loves her, when he doesn't have time to switch to Zelda, he usually kills with a DAC

idk how good an option it is, but it seems to work, what do the more experienced Shiek mainers say??

2PIMP

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all your help guys, I've been practicing both online and against my buddies.
And I gotta say, the best of both worlds are FURIOUS at me now :)

I'll keep it up. Especially online, cause you can get those cruddy connections.Which
is sad for Sheik and Zelda, cause they need precise timing to pound the
pulp out of everybody.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Sheik can be quite the force to reckon with. Just practice DACUS, U-Smash Tippers, Vanish Glides/KOs, Edge-guarding and offstage b-airs and n-airs.

If you still want to play Zelda, which I TOTALLY recommend, but not just for KOs, then there's a similar post here.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183337

Everything we could tell you is in the forum already.

2PIMP

Smash Rookie
Cool man, thanks. everybody's so nice here... Except when it comes to melee vs brawl. Jeez
I do NOT wanna get into a hardcore debate about THAT. Although, I did make a post
cause this guy was thinking about ditching brawl, but thats his decision to make.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Haha. I think everyone finds that debate irritating. But you just love to hate it...

With what you said before about Sheik being nerfed, I agree in that the knockback is less, but her strategy is totally different. You need to practice pressuring an opponent off the stage, and keeping them there. All her moves can be used for this, apart from Transformation.

Speaking of which, if you need to safely transform from Sheik to Zelda, there's a little trick that can help you out with that.

When tumbling after being hit, hold down and in the direction of your momentum, then hit jump, then immediately hit B as soon as you see those air-ripples. Sheik will rise the height of a double-jump while transforming, and by the time she gets to the top, she should be Zelda. Zelda's second jump and Farore's Wind are still available. I find it really useful, but all our strategies are different.

2PIMP

Smash Rookie
I was wondering how to transform while ascending. I accidentally did it once and never succesfully
did it again. I kinda figured it had something to do with the double-jump. But come to think of it, I
was online when I did it... Never tried to do it offline though(which is probably why it didn't work)

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
You can also do it with the double jump. Or even the first jump. Doing it when tumbling makes you move much higher, much faster.

FirebyrdXX

Smash Cadet
You may be switching too early to Zelda for a kill. Getting enemies to %120 and over, Zelda will have such an easy time KOing them thanks to a lack of decay on her moves. All smashes, u-tils, Lightning Kicks and u-air should all be able to kill easily. Although if you're not comfortable using her, you don't HAVE to transform for the kill.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Firebyrd's post sparked an idea of my own.

Why don't you try playing with Zelda, then transforming for the KO with Sheik?

That way you get your Zelda practice, and learn how to KO with Sheik, which are, according to you, two of your weaknesses.

Kayn

Smash Cadet
120 is a bit excessive. I think that 100 would be fine with even the heaviest characters. Playing as Zelda then switching to Sheik could work but as far as I know Sheik has trouble getting KO's and Zelda has trouble racking damage so it would just be counter-productive.

You could just practice edgegaurding as Sheik as that is the best way to get kills. Besides edgeguarding is fun :)

BLI7ZARD

Smash Apprentice
Help Possibly

You Need To Learn Some Combos Like The One I Came Up With. Jump Into The Opponent With Dins Fire While Close To The Ground So When The Opponent Gets Hit You Go Into A Upsmash. USE THE NEUTRAL B ITS HELPFUL AND HAS INVINCIBILITY FRAMES B4 SHE TURNS FROM FRAMES 4-11 OR SOMETHING?. ALSO TRY TO USE <-B DINS FIRE WHENEVER YOU GET THE OPPONENT FAR AWAY . SOMETIMES THEY END UP RIGHT RIGHT OVER YOU SO YOU COULD USE YOUR UPSMASH. YOU COULD TRY TO USE THE TELEPORT TO CONFUSE YOUR OPPONENT.

MY MAINS BRAWL CODE 4038 5688 0779

2PIMP

Smash Rookie
Edgeguarding rules! I saw this video on youtube where Shiek did a vanish on a ledge, and
automatically appeared a good ways onto the stage.

It was pretty cool, but my computer is poop with vids so I could have missed how it actually
happened in detail.

(it wasn't that Dr. Mario thing in melee. Something like it though, only Shiek did it by herself)

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
My point is that he needs to know how to master each of them seperately in their own rights as seperate characters.

Then, he can learn to put them together. A strong Sheik/Zelda that knows when to switch is an absolute powerhouse.

He needs to learn how to play and KO with Zelda. He needs to learn how to KO with Sheik.

Sheik can actually KO quite easily. Sure, she's not Zelda, where a good lightning kick seals the deal, but it's only characters with difficult recoveries to counter that need Zelda.

Anyway, my point is that knowing them both inside and out will let you screw with an opponent. It will force them to adapt to the new pace and strategy. During this time, again, if you know them both inside and out, you can KO before they get the chance.

2PIMP, in the Sheik forums there is a post something along the lines of Sheik Specials - Nifty Tricks Compendium. Check it out. You can do that by standing near an edge, pushing slightly away from the stage, then rolling the joystick up, hitting B, then continue to roll it to the left.

Top Bottom