• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox Legends ClimaX: The Xbox Series X/S's 'Ultimate' Smash (Nominating Final Base Game Content (Stages))

Should we include 4th Party Content

• Total voters

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Cortana_h5.png

Cortana
a pretty iconic Halo character. She's mostly seen as a Hologram but I do think we could make this work. We need more female fighters . I was gonna do a Halo villain but Arbiter is already there and I feel the current options are either too hard to make work for one reason or another or just kinda plain

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
For the Boss Submission, given Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson isn't going to work... let's try someone a little unorthodox.
Boss Name: The Cursor
Boss Origin: Microsoft Windows

As absurd as this might seem, I think this actually makes a lot of sense. The Cursor would effectively, in a similar vein to Master Hand in the Smash series, be a representation of the game's creators - whilst also representing arguably Microsoft's biggest product, Windows. We've already delved into representing Windows a little with the Bliss and Minesweeper stages, so this isn't completely unprescedented.

As for how Cursor would work, I'd imagine that it'd predominantly use UI elements from the most recent Windows build of this time, XP. This would include all kinds of things related to the cursor itself - morphing into different shapes (like the hand, hourglass, etc) in order to do different things, as well as being able to manifest things like dialog boxes. As for its attacks in specific, it'd have a similar unorthodox and strange nature to Master Hand, but obviously with a bit more of a general theme.

And as for Job #015:
Character Name: Amelia Black
Character Origin: Age of Empires III
(2005)
Franchise: Age of Empires

Whilst our current representation for this franchise is pretty decent by using Arkantos, I think representing the mainline Age of Empires franchise somehow would be a good call as opposed to just the Age of Mythology spinoff - and with Age of Empires III being the latest mainline game (that still got DLC and updates until 2007), it seems like a good pick for this. As for why Amelia specifically, there's a few reasons - namely, I agree that we do need more female characters, but it's also worth considering that she's a pretty prominent character in the game's story (who acts as a narrator for the majority of it) - and even becomes playable as a unit in the third act!

As a frontierwoman in the United States in the 1820s, Amelia's got a variety of different skills and the like that she can use. Even putting aside her use of her rifle, fisticuffs, and a hot air balloon (yes, really!), it'd be pretty reasonable to give her other elements like dynamite from other units, or even giving her things like Ká:nien's tomahawk to fight with. She's got plenty of potential, and whilst she might not be a particularly obvious pick on people's radar, I think she'd be pretty justified and unique.

Character Jobs
I think that this job (adding characters to series we already have) as well as adding characters from new series and also new third-party picks makes sense, though in addition, I'd also possibly suggest jobs for particular character archetypes or elements (for instance, different gameplay types like heavyweights, or different requirements like female fighters, characters from certain genres, and so forth.) Though, I do like your suggestion of an Xbox Live Arcade character, even if I do agree that many heavy-hitters don't exist yet on that front specifically.

That being said, I do also wonder whether there'd be any characters that get cut from this game (similar to how Brawl cut a few characters for different reasons) to allow for more modern, "promotional" picks and such. Like, I can't imagine a lot of people are excited about Grabbed by the Ghoulies or Blinx: The Time Sweeper by the time we arrive at 2009. Then again, keeping older and retroactively weirder picks does give the roster some flavour, so there's that.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Cortana doesn't really do anything until Halo 4's ending at the earliest, ODST is a bit later in 2009 so that's a bit hazy imo and Reach isn't for another year so

The Prophets (Truth by default but Mercy and Regret are alts)

The two best villain options aren't available yet (Didact in 2012 and Atriox in 2017) but the Prophets suffice just fine with Halo Wars giving them a lot more to work with between a basic MODOK function, fuel rod cannons, glassing beams and summoning Honor Guards. Truth's the leader of the Covenant with Mercy and Regret as his two direct underlings with Regret getting a playable role in Halo Wars' multiplayer where a chunk of the moveset is derived from.

A job prompt would be viable clone/echo fighters as an extra thing in addition to the main roster but it has to be more limited and explain how the character would feasibly work as a clone.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Well the 4th party stuff took a turn. Now we are 5-4 in favor of that content (although split on allowing roster spots). Will delay (hopefully for the last time) our boss voting to see if things change over the weekend or if anyone else wants to vote or make an argument either way (SneakyLink?)

Fighter Nominees
General RAAM (DragonRobotKing26)
Mumbo Jumbo (MartianSnake)
Cortana (darkvortex)
Amelia Black (KneeOfJustice99)
Stranger (Northsouthmap)
Prophets (Schnee117)
Ayane (nirvanafan)

Vote for your top 5, yours 2nd or lower. Top 5 overall will be added.

1 Prophets
2 Mumbo Jumbo
3 Ayane
4 Amelia Black
5 Stranger

All very good picks though.

Thanks for your character job ideas everyone, will try to use as many as i can in upcoming jobs. Feel free to share any other ideas that come to mind.

darkvortex brought up a good topic for us to discuss as well being character cuts.

To tell you the truth i sort of pictured this game building directly off of our original. Even with doubling our content as planned we are still behind Smash (will catch up soon though thanks to DLC). Idk personally i think 16 newcomers in base game already seems like alot but i guess its not impossible to see a couple more after some cuts (especially if we add a couple clone/echo fighters as Schnee117 also brought up). Definitely see the next game having cuts though. Just my thoughts, whats everyone else thinking?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
General RAAM
Prophets
Stranger
Ayane
Amelia Black

I'm gonna say no fourth parties, MS have enough to work with in the general gaming sphere, even before their mass acquisition spree that can work as bosses. At the very least, no fourth party roster slots.

Cuts need to be carefully considered if we go with them. It can't just be people cutting characters they don't like, there has to be considerations for the character's status and things like moveset complexity that might feasibly shift a character to a lower priority spot.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
  1. General RAAM
  2. Prophets
  3. Mumbo
  4. Ayane
  5. Amelia Black

I feel like we could probably keep everyone for now. if cuts where to happen I think characters like Cooper, Blinx and Brutas would likely be the first to go, but assuming in universe we have enough time I think we could bring back everyone.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Characters:
  1. General RAAM (An obvious modern candidate who makes a lot of sense in a playable role. Sure, it might seem a little wild to add two characters from the Gears series right away, but I think it's more than warranted at this time.)
  2. Prophets (A Halo villain makes a lot of sense, and I think these are good picks for this period in time. Plus, I think their moveset - whilst inherently pretty weird-looking given they're always seated - would be pretty fun and unique.)
  3. Ayane (I don't think it'd be absolutely necessary to double-up on third-party franchises yet, but Dead or Alive was still a decently big series for the time, Ayane's a generally well-liked character, and I think some olive branches to the Japanese market would be kind of necessary for an Xbox project like this.)
  4. Mumbo Jumbo (Whilst I don't think Banjo-Kazooie necessarily needs more characters, Mumbo Jumbo would still undeniably be a pretty cool character to play as. I think he'd be a lot of fun as a bit of a more unusual character pick, at least.)
  5. Amelia Black (Self-vote, but I do think she'd be a fun pick for this time period who might not necessarily get the chance later down the line, as well as being a representative for the mainline Age of Empires series, all whilst having a unique moveset overall.)
Shoutout to Cortana, who I think could be potentially cool later down the line (maybe after Halo 4's release?) and could have potential now... though, I think she could work a lot better as a menu character or even an assist or announcer. Maybe her time would be better later on? Though, I do agree that some more female characters would be nice.

As for Character Cuts, I think they should be carefully considered, but shouldn't be completely ruled out. I think this game building off the original's roster and doubling it up would work pretty well, plus it doesn't feel as egregious, but I do think by the time of the third game, it might be worth thinking about (though not required, by any means.) That said, I think our cuts should focus more on characters that get superceded by picks that outright replace them in notable ways - so for instance, though Blinx's actual relevance drops off a cliff by this point, his unique moveset and visual language feels like it'd be worth keeping him around for, even if he's kind of just here because he's fun in this game. (Think like Captain Falcon or Jigglypuff, who are both kind of still just in Smash because people like them in Smash.)

And on Fourth-Party Content, whilst I do think it could potentially be a good way to differentiate the Xbox's brand of this series a little from Smash, I understand people's apprehension at including it, and honestly, I think it's a good move considering how quickly it could get out of hand to have the entirety of media, theoretically, at our fingertips.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Yeah I feel we could treat our original characters like (though it is slightly different since we do have third parties to factor in) like Falcon, Ness and Puff we're they're kept around despite maybe falling out of mainstream relevancy, as our roster expands cuts may need to be considered but should be carefully considered, with factors such as moveset similarities or complexities, popularity, and licencing for third party characters.

fourth party stuff. I'm gonna go no. At least on the main roster. I can't pretend having like Spawn or Scott Pilgrim into the game wouldn't be fun but it probably is best to focus only in video game characters, especially as our options begin to expand with buy outs.

for our boss. I'm gonna bring up the idea I've brought up before

Mascots-20120921-0009.png

Clippy
The original MS mascot. He would use various Microsoft office items, fly around on his paper, summon other MS characters like Rover, Merlin, McZee and the SkiFree Yeti, he's also use stuff like Solatare cards, Pinball Paddles and other call backs to old MS published PC games. I think this would be a fun pull similar to Polygon Man from PS All-Stars.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
1. Stranger
2. RAAM
3. Mumbo Jumbo
4. Ayane
5. Amelia Black

On thematter of forth parties, as much as I want Spawn in this game as I heavily associate him with the Xbox brand for multiple weird reasons. He's the only forth party I would want, so I'm gonna say no forth parties

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Sorry for the delay on this after the past weekend, life kind of got in the way but should be able to get back to things like normal tomorrow. Will start the voting on bosses now though. General comments seem to not be in favor 4th party charcters so nominees are set.

The Cursor (KneeOfJustice99)
Lord of Games (Northsouthmap)
Clippy (darkvortex)
KI Boss (Eyedol or Gargos) (nirvanafan)

Vote for your Top 2 & most votes will be added.

1 The Cursor
2 Clippy

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Sorry for the delay on this after the past weekend, life kind of got in the way but should be able to get back to things like normal tomorrow. Will start the voting on bosses now though. General comments seem to not be in favor 4th party charcters so nominees are set.

The Cursor (KneeOfJustice99)
Lord of Games (Northsouthmap)
Clippy (darkvortex)
KI Boss (Eyedol or Gargos) (nirvanafan)

Vote for your Top 2 & most votes will be added.

1 The Cursor
2 Clippy
That's all good! Be sure to take care of yourself, it's important not to overwork yourself with this sort of thing. Glad to hear you're well, though!
  1. Clippy (Honestly, this one's just funny. Taking a character that wasn't supposed to be a character, who everyone hated in the first place, and making him a boss? Good call - and the ability to use him as a Windows rep on top of this is just a lot of fun.)
  2. A Killer Instinct Boss (Not the first one I would have thought of, but I think this could potentially work pretty well. Eyedol would probably be my pick given he was the final boss in the first game, plus I think his design could look a little like the modern look seen in the Retro costume in the 2013 game.)

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Will let Boss voting go another day since it was posted later.

Roster Voting Results (Top 5 Added to Roster)
1General RAAM 30
2Mumbo Jumbo 27
3Prophets17
4Ayane14
5Stranger12

6Amelia Black 11
7Cortana9

Everyones feedback about cuts has been taken into account. For now its looks like everyone will return but our next game may see cuts. Opinions may change as our rosters fill out so feel free to share any updated opinions.

Job 16 - Nominate 2 new fighters for the roster, one for each of the below specifications (each can be 1st or 3rd party).

A - A female fighter (kind of fitting since Amelia & Cortana just missed out & could be interesting to see them get a 2nd shot against other popular choices.)

B - A throwback fighter (someone whos last game came before the 360s release in late 2005)

My nominees

A - Judy Nails (Guitar Hero)

Her & Axel Steel are the 2 icons of Guitar Hero. This game would be in development during the height of the series (& Rock Band), although it would probably release at the start of the quick decline. Either way a huge character at the time with unique potential as a rhythm based fighter.

B - Voodoo Vince

Probably would have been a better nominee for our 1st game but i guess thats part of a throwback job.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
16 B - Fulgore

One of the most prominent characters from Killer Instinct, his design takes cues from the first two games (with KI2 originally releasing in 1996) as KI2013 does not yet exist. He's selected over Jago as he adds more villainous characters to the roster on top of UltraTech being extremely prominent in the series.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #016A:
Character Name: GLaDOS
Character Origin: Portal
Franchise: Portal

I first want to point out that the massive success of the Orange Box on the Xbox 360 cannot be understated - especially as a (temporary) Xbox and Windows exclusive. Plus, Valve is pretty much at its height in this era... but which iconic female character from the Orange Box makes sense to bring over here?

Sorry, Alyx fans.

GLaDOS might be unexpected, but I think she'd be incredibly adept at representing arguably the most important element in the Portal series - the test chambers themselves. If we scale her down just a little (not too much!) and give her upper segment a floating ring of sorts similar to some of her concept art, she'd work well - plus, I can imagine her moveset would be fantastic. Imagine her bringing out Turrets, beams and incinerators emitting from different bits of machinery, putting up a wall stylised after the test chambers themselves - and if push comes to shove, just whacking someone with her "head"? That'd be fun.

Plus, GLaDOS is probably one of the best-known villains in video games... outright, acts as another villainous character with a wonderfully unique personality, brings Valve into the fold in a unique but fascinating way, has tons of moveset potential, and would absolutely turn heads. I think she'd be amazing.

Job #016B:
Character Name: Ryo Hazuki
Character Origin: Shenmue II (2002)
Franchise: Shenmue (SEGA)

We don't really have many picks to appeal to the Japanese crowd yet (a historical issue with the Xbox brand, to be honest), and discussion surrounding a SEGA newcomer isn't exactly new to this thread either. With that in mind, whilst this isn't necessarily a "retro" pick, it is one I think would be fitting - namely, Ryo Hazuki from Shenmue.

With his predominantly Bajiquan fighting style (which may remind Virtua Fighter fans of Akira's moveset, perhaps?), Ryo's got plenty of powerful and versatile attacks that would lend well to a game like this. That said, if you wanted to give him a super move where he runs someone over with a forklift, that'd be pretty funny too.

Whilst the Shenmue series might, by this time, not be as big a deal as it once was, it's worth considering the series' connection to the Xbox brand, as well as its importance in the development of "open-world games" as a genre. Plus, Ryo did snatch a place in Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing only a year later, so it's not like he was completely off the radar by this time. I think he'd be neat.

Character Name: The Prince
Character Origin: Prince of Persia (1989)
Franchise: Prince of Persia (Ubisoft)

Given we're keeping Sam Fisher from the Splinter Cell series, I felt a second Ubisoft rep could be fun to consider. That being said, someone from a particularly recent game (for this time period) sprung to mind as someone with potential - the Prince (and Elika!) from the then-recent 2008 reboot of the long-running Prince of Persia series. The series itself started as an Apple II exclusive, but the modern interpretations of the series had a strong presence on Xbox consoles, so I think this one's warranted.

But, what would they bring to the table? Well, I think this interpretation of the Prince is particularly interesting because, beyond his use of a scimitar, a gauntlet, and exceptional acrobatism (which are shared by all versions of the character), this one is also accompanied by Elika - a magic-wielding princess of Ahura, and capable in her own right. As for how their symbiotic combat would work, I'd suggest that the Prince would be in the foreground and Elika in the background behind him, though she'd sometimes pop into the foreground to combo into multi-hit attacks, or even has a few magical capabilities of her own (such as flight) that'd make her completely seperate to the Prince.

Whilst they'd be an eclectic pair to represent an older series, it's worth considering the Prince of Persia franchise was arguably more relevant now than at really any other time before - so giving the pair a shot in a game like this feels pretty warranted, in my mind.

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Job #016A:
Character Name: GLaDOS
Character Origin: Portal
Franchise: Portal

I first want to point out that the massive success of the Orange Box on the Xbox 360 cannot be understated - especially as a (temporary) Xbox and Windows exclusive. Plus, Valve is pretty much at its height in this era... but which iconic female character from the Orange Box makes sense to bring over here?

Sorry, Alyx fans.

GLaDOS might be unexpected, but I think she'd be incredibly adept at representing arguably the most important element in the Portal series - the test chambers themselves. If we scale her down just a little (not too much!) and give her upper segment a floating ring of sorts similar to some of her concept art, she'd work well - plus, I can imagine her moveset would be fantastic. Imagine her bringing out Turrets, beams and incinerators emitting from different bits of machinery, putting up a wall stylised after the test chambers themselves - and if push comes to shove, just whacking someone with her "head"? That'd be fun.

Plus, GLaDOS is probably one of the best-known villains in video games... outright, acts as another villainous character with a wonderfully unique personality, brings Valve into the fold in a unique but fascinating way, has tons of moveset potential, and would absolutely turn heads. I think she'd be amazing.
I would imagine that she has an ability similar to Snake's Codex

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Boss Voting Results

1Clippy7 (is our Arcade Mode Boss)
2KI Boss5
3Cursor4
4Lord of Games2

Female Fighter Nominees
Kasumi (DragonRobotKing26)
Charity (Qwerty UIOP)
Glados (KneeOfJustice99)
Dark Queen (Northsouthmap)
Judy Nails (nirvanafan)

So i know on a technicality Jetman should be ineligible. However unless anyone has a an issue with it i will let it slide. The series saw a re-make in 2007 for xbla. Imo this went pretty under the radar & Jetpac would probably still be considered a throwback to most, especially if we base his design more off of the originals.

Throwback Fighters
Fulgore (Schnee117)
Jetman (Qwerty UIOP)
Ryo Hazuki (KneeOfJustice99)
Beat (Northsouthmap)
Voodoo Vince (nirvanafan)

Vote for your Top 2 in each category, self votes in 2nd. Top 2 overall in each category will be added.

1 Glados
2 Judy Nails

1 Fulgore
2 Voodoo Vince

darkvortex

Smash Champion
1 Fulgore
2 Voodoo Vince

I don't actually really like most of the female submissions so I'm gonna skip if these alright

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
16A:
  1. Judy Nails. (A really fun and out-of-the-box pick, honestly. Plus, even if we didn't go all-in with the rhythm elements, a punk-rock sort of styling to her moveset would be really fun - and let's be honest, using a guitar as a weapon is undoubtedly pretty cool.)
  2. Charity. (Honestly, this one's unexpected, but I wouldn't be against it. That said, attacking people with sweets and her endless riches seems like it'd be fun - even if her character design is... really, um, a bit nauseating.)
Kasumi could be pretty fun, but we did just add Ayane... though, the Dark Queen is pretty inspired.

16B:
  1. Fulgore. (Even if he's another Rare rep, being a fighting game character, technically a villain, and someone with a really unique design and moveset compared to the other characters in the roster, I think Fulgore would be pretty cool here.)
  2. Jetman. (A character with plenty of historical prescedent and a bit of recent relevance, plus a cross-promoter for the Xbox Live Arcade service, Jetman just seems like a pretty cool pick. Plus, the older games actually give him a surprising amount of potential with a little creativity.)
Shoutout to Voodoo Vince, though - he seems really fun! Also, again, I do like Beat, he just didn't quite make it.

Top Bottom