• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

XAir movements. A button or C-Stick?

Acidictadpole

Smash Cadet
Which is it better to get into using for the XAir moves? (DAir, BAir, FAir, UAir) Currently I use the C-stick while in the air as it frees up movements.

Is this a habit I should get out of?

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
That seems to be what a lot of people do. Retreating fairs, forward bairs, and easier uairs are all good.

You can also use the Z button to do aerials

Seanson

Smash Ace
not everyone keeps their pointer over the z button, like me. I use pointer over r since pointer is faster than middle finger for me.

i would say it's a matter of preference. although most people would agree c stick is required for short hop uairs

Acidictadpole

Smash Cadet
Alright, thanks. I'll keep going with the C-Stick for now until someone actually says to stop :).

I usually keep my pointer on the shield, i only use Z for non-shield grabbing so it's relatively rare. (I sometimes just shield grab even though he's not attacking cuz I'm getting used to it)

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
not everyone keeps their pointer over the z button, like me. I use pointer over r since pointer is faster than middle finger for me.

i would say it's a matter of preference. although most people would agree c stick is required for short hop uairs
You shield with R instead of L?

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Actually, from what I've been told, R is the more preferred button over the L for things such as shielding, WD, etc; but that's not to say that there's a lack of L-button users. (Such as myself.)

Similarily, I hear that Y is preferred over X for jumping... I just think that's plain weird... (And then there's people like Element of Wind, who's been known to have beaten SuperDoodleMan with control stick jumping and no L-canceling, with possibly no other tech stuff at all... :p)

Fletch

Smash Master
C-stick always, its definitely a better habit to get into than using "A" for your aerials, as it allows for more options (retreating f-airs, etc...)

pirate-404

Smash Cadet
C-stick is definitely a good habit to get into. As you said, it frees up movement so you can do things like retreating F-airs. That being said, however, I also use the Z button as well. Since I play Fox, I use the Z button for rising N-airs and rising SHFFL'd D-airs since my thumb can't go from the X button to the C-stick fast enough.

As for the Z button thing, I personally use R to wavedash. This is with the right index finger. With the exception of my thumb, I guess I could say my fingers are naturally fast. Probably from typing so much. I still use the L button for L-cancels though. Shield is shared between both, depending on what I plan to do next.

In short, don't limit yourself to just one way of doing things. Try to be flexible and keep your options open.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I play a Marth, so I'm mostly moving forward...I use A a lot, but I'm trying to get into the habit of retreating C-sticks. I use R for wavedash and L for reverse wavedashing...weird, huh? I use L for L-Cancel though (some people use R), and usually L for shield though R works too.

ElfenLiedPeach

Smash Journeyman
I use Z for all aerials except for the dair. Though that's probably because I mash Z to Vidjo-drop my turnips while I'm floating >_>, and it just carried over to habit for all situations. Not sure why, but I tend to use c-stick for the dair.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I play a Marth, so I'm mostly moving forward...I use A a lot, but I'm trying to get into the habit of retreating C-sticks. I use R for wavedash and L for reverse wavedashing...weird, huh? I use L for L-Cancel though (some people use R), and usually L for shield though R works too.
**** dude that's confusing as hell haha

I just use the C-Stick for aerials and the R button for wavedashing shielding etc.

CWolf20

Smash Journeyman
I use the C-Stick almost exclusively for b and d-air, 90% of U-air, and maybe 50% of F-air. I've been trying to train my fingers to use the C-stick for F-air, but I find it so simple to just press A while I'm hopping at my opponent.

I'm sure this will bite me in the *** when and if I start playing Marth competitively.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I use A for most of my aerials, I use c-stick sometimes but not a lot since it's out of the way.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I learned that C-stick is necessary for some smashes + movements combos. Like with CF I can't fair with the a button without moving forward so I started using C-stick more.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: though the amount of DI control that you gain from using the C-stick is there (i.e. especially with stuff like retreating f-airs, approaching b-airs), there's simply some stuff that you just can't do without the A button. Like Mario's short-hopped b-air waveland, for instance.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Similarily, I hear that Y is preferred over X for jumping... I just think that's plain weird.:p)
(Assuming you are jumping with your thumb)- Out thumbs are built to quickly extend away from your palm and facing an upward position. Simply said, moving your thumb upwards to the Y-button is easier then retracting it towards the X- button.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I've always used X but I have to use Y to WD [I can't do it well but sometimes I get lucky and do it on command which has helped me ledge hog] it's much more comfortable and closer so whenever I get a Wii I'll know for sure which button is better.

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
It depends on the character, too. Yoshi doesn't c-stick as much because he has DJC. >_>

But it's cool to get in a quck D-smash.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Actually, I use the A button instead of the C-stick most of the time. I use C-sticks mostly on the ground as a combo finisher [D-Smash], but in the air, I almost never use it.

In the air, the only thing I use the C-stick is for them shffled up-airs with Mario, otherwise, its all A button for me.

Of course, using only C-stick is not really bad, its mostly a matter of personal preference. I know that its REALLY useful for Peach's aerial attacks. Of course, I believe the A button is more comfortable.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
i play jiggy, and am often doing double bairs and fairs. i find it very hard to jump and then use the c-stick for an instant arieal, so i use A for the first hit, then i will often switch to the c-stick for the second, for eaiser control. however i still sometimes use A for both, because its easier. i almost always use the c-stick for uairs, and sometimes for dairs. i havent gotten used to using the c-stick for smashes though, i still use A for that.

Top Bottom