• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Writing Gooder

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Agreed. When I read passages of stuff I write, I still remember "what I meant to say," and that makes it harder to revise. I'd say 3 weeks + writing other stuff will let you forget the story/your initial thoughts and feelings.

Thunda-Moo

Smash Apprentice
Exactly how long of a "downtime" you give is a personal preference thing. Know thyself. How long does it take you to forget your writing intentions? My mind refuses to stay on the same topic or story for more then a few days, which sucks, but it gives me stupidly short downtime nessesity. But for a great writer like King, it obviously takes longer. Experiment and find out what works for you.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I finished a story in the beginning of May this year. I just looked at it again yesterday and found something kinda stupid, a minor detail, that needed tweaking.

So that's two months.

I think it depends on the person. If you have a lot of distractions in life, maybe you'll forget things in a few weeks. I think if you go back to it and find that it sounds a bit foreign, like something written by someone else, then that's probably optimal, however long that takes. In the meantime, while you wait, you can always work on something else.

A lot of writers complain about having too many ideas. The wait time before revision gives you an opportunity to research or draft something else. And it'll take your mind off your other work.

I don't do this myself. I'm just trying to be...helpful.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yeah, I've been kicking around ideas and working on a new story, so it's not so bad to wait now.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
This forum is as active as always.
Is this topic used in any way as a general discussion topic, because I couldn't seem to pinpoint any other area to discuss general things.

The general thing being that I've decided to start working on the segment of my fiction I posted here, again. I expect to finish it now within a month or two, but first I would like to revive the and give it a chance for people to read it again.

Should I even both doing this for the sake of this forum, and if so how would I go about doing it while I finish another piece of work to post, since I'm only allowed to post on my work with updates or relies to comments toward other people.

Top Bottom