• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Writer of Final Fantasy VII is the writer of Subspace Emissary!

Darkburst

Smash Cadet
Gad, this thread just thoroughly cemented my opinion that haters are worse than drooling fanboys.

Anyway, I'm actualy pretty excited about this. I'ts nice to see someone from a high-caliber developer like Square Enix helping out with Brawl. I can just imagine Nojima and Sakurai talking for hours and hours about exactly how the story should go.

Chojo

Smash Cadet
No.I didn't avoid the question, you didn't look into the answer. If it's the question I think it is, I'll attempt to answer a bit more clearly. No, I do not think someone with "more experience" will necessarily do all/most of the product or necessarily hold more ground. If that wasn't the question I might've missed, restate it and I'll address it.
Okay. That's all I wanted to know.

So basically, let me sum up your thoughts for you.

You don't think that Nojima will be doing the majority (definition: more than 50%) of the scenario creation. You think that Sakurai hired (yes, hired, Nojima is not going to be working for free) Nojima just to make the classic "Someone is kidnapped, People save them, The end!" story when Sakurai (and anyone else, including you or me) could have easily penned up such a story himself. He hired a specific person and paid him to do something that anyone else was capable of doing without a sweat. In other words, hiring him was essentialy pointless and a complete waste of budget.

You also don't think that even if the story turns out to be only a fraction more than the simple cliche story we may be subject to, that we won't feel any personal flare of Nojima's interesting or humorous scenerios at all.

Alright. Great logic. That's all I wanted to hear.

Since that's what you believe, then that's the end of our discussion. I have nothing more to say. ;)

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Okay. That's all I wanted to know.

So basically, let me sum up your thoughts for you.

You don't think that Nojima will be doing the majority (definition: more than 50%) of the scenario creation. You think that Sakurai hired (yes, hired, Nojima is not going to be working for free) Nojima just to make the classic "Someone is kidnapped, People save them, The end!" story when Sakurai (and anyone else, including you or me) could have easily penned up such a story himself. He hired a specific person and paid him to do something that anyone else was capable of doing without a sweat. In other words, hiring him was essentialy pointless and a complete waste of budget.

You also don't think that even if the story turns out to be only a fraction more than the simple cliche story we may be subject to, that we won't feel any personal flare of Nojima's interesting or humorous scenerios at all.

Alright. Great logic. That's all I wanted to hear.

Since that's what you believe, then that's the end of our discussion. I have nothing more to say. ;)
You do realize that more than 50% of the scenario planning isn't the same thing as doing the majority of ALL of the writing work that goes into a game, and that scenario writing isn't the only aspect of writing within the actual planning, right? Not to mention the possibility of more scenario writers we haven't been informed of, right?

You're jumping to conclusions. My point was that no one does anything alone, and it's a joint effort of many talented people.

Sakurai
Right. It wasn’t bad at all and had its own appeal, but it was a bit different than what I had envisioned it would be. It went something like this…"Some of the characters are on a bus on the way to the stadium. Samus is there. Donkey Kong is there and Snake is watching the bus from afar." It was like that. (laughs) I had envisioned a more serious tone for the story. Something with some misfortune like a single character escaping total annihilation of his squadron and then fighting back while rounding up his allies. Ultimately, we worked together and successfully organized our ideas into the storyline for The Subspace Emissary.

Iwata
In other words, you came up with a storyline that neither of you could have produced on your own.

Sakurai
Right. That’s something you might say about this entire game. This project is the result of people coming together and talents colliding. If we took one person and replaced them with another, the project would have definitely been different. That’s another reason the project was only possible this time around.
Bold text is bold. ^

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Groundwalker sucks, who's with me? KH is AWESOME!
Pfft, I am. KH doesn't have the best story, but it's fun. Whatever is fun and I enjoy, I play! :)

Seriously though, this means Sakurai is getting the best help he can get. WITH EVERYTHING! Best musician, one of the best story designers (general plot), best musicans (we got like 40 of them! o_O), best staff, best roster (anything that pisses Luke Groundwalker's elitist a** off), etc. This game is going to be SUPER ULTRA MEGA AMAZINGLY SPECTACULARLY AWSOMELES INFINITELY AWSOME! (Whatever I just said...I don't know what it means! :laugh:)

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Pfft, I am. KH doesn't have the best story, but it's fun. Whatever is fun and I enjoy, I play! :)

Seriously though, this means Sakurai is getting the best help he can get. WITH EVERYTHING! Best musician, one of the best story designers (general plot), best musicans (we got like 40 of them! o_O), best staff, best roster (anything that pisses Luke Groundwalker's elitist a** off), etc. This game is going to be SUPER ULTRA MEGA AMAZINGLY SPECTACULARLY AWSOMELES INFINITELY AWSOME! (Whatever I just said...I don't know what it means! :laugh:)
Since when is it even possible to have a "best" plot if different games try to invariably convey different ideas or themes all the time?

The music's typically not orchestrated, it's synthesized to allow for money and time. Otherwise I'd agree on the music.

We don't know the roster.

: |

del-boy

Smash Journeyman
FF7 is a very good game it may be over rated and SE keep on milking the life from it but that does not mean it is bad, after all it is one of the best FF game (I would say that FF6, FF9 and FF10 are better) with a good story.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
So ancient minister will be a long haired emo who wants his mommy and the main character will be even more emo and will be the subject of many a fangirls yaoi fanfic?

(jk)

Coselm

Smash Ace
Cloud confirmed for Brawl?

Haha just kidding (or am I?) but glad to know the storyline is in good hands.

I hope there is a plot twist like Link leaves Zelda for Peach.

Pandanda

Smash Cadet
Cloud confirmed for Brawl?
:eek:

If that happens, I'll post a video of me blowing myself up on Youtube.

Anyways, I can't speak for what I think of the story till I see it, but from what we've been shown so far it's looks like a Nintendo fans dream cross-over. I'm glad Sakurai deviated towards a more serious plotline. As much as a light-hearted one probably would've suited the Smash series better, SSE seems to be overflowing with awesome battles and character crossovers. And really, that's all it needs. It can do without character development and a deep plot, really it's just a big mish-mash of Nintendo characters getting together and kicking ***.

I'm not complaining :)

And for the record, I didn't mind FF7s storyline, I liked it. But the fandom ruined it for me - Cloud and Sephiroth aren't fecking gods like the fanboys/girls think they are.

The Protagonist

Smash Cadet
...Sheesh. This thread has gone to hell in a gift basket huh?

Ok, I doesn't matter to me. I liked Final Fantasy VII. It wasn't THE GREATEST CINEMATIC MASTERPIECE EVER TO BE CONVEYED INTO A GAME SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME!

Nice characters, pretty solid story line (had its fair share of plot holes), phenomenal soundtrack, balanced and fun battle system. I also don't feel like it was THE WORST THING TO EVER GRACE GODS GREEN EARTH IN THE LAST FIFTEEN YEARS either. It was good enough. It was a nice game and I'd play again. (Although as far truly solid stories, Xenogears, the Xenosaga series and Legend of Legaia will always be much more enthralling to me). But I'm old school lol.

As far as Brawl is concerned, I don't give a crap if one of the writers for Brokeback Mountain is writing for this game!! We've all waited far too long for this game to come to the states. Lets all just wait for the March 9th, play the SSE and all jump into the vat of Nintendo bliss known as Brawl.

...BTW, I DO like Naruto...not as much as One Piece but its alright.

*stands in the middle of a firing range wearing a "awaiting flames" t-shirt*

The Protagonist

Smash Cadet
...Sheesh. This thread has gone to hell in a gift basket huh?

Ok, I doesn't matter to me. I liked Final Fantasy VII. It wasn't THE GREATEST CINEMATIC MASTERPIECE EVER TO BE CONVEYED INTO A GAME SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME!

Nice characters, pretty solid story line (had its fair share of plot holes), phenomenal soundtrack, balanced and fun battle system. I also don't feel like it was THE WORST THING TO EVER GRACE GODS GREEN EARTH IN THE LAST FIFTEEN YEARS either. It was good enough. It was a nice game and I'd play again. (Although as far truly solid stories, Xenogears, the Xenosaga series and Legend of Legaia will always be much more enthralling to me). But I'm old school lol.

As far as Brawl is concerned, I don't give a crap if one of the writers for Brokeback Mountain is writing for this game!! I'm excited with all the hard work that Sakurai and the rest have been doing. We've all waited far too long for this game to come to the states. We're ALL Nintendo heads here. Lets all just wait for the March 9th, play the SSE and all jump into the vat of Nintendo bliss known as Brawl with HUGE anime grins on our faces.

*stands in the middle of a firing range wearing a "awaiting flames" t-shirt*

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Since when is it even possible to have a "best" plot if different games try to invariably convey different ideas or themes all the time?

The music's typically not orchestrated, it's synthesized to allow for money and time. Otherwise I'd agree on the music.

We don't know the roster.

: |
You're just gonna have to accept that Johnknight1 posted something that idiotic and move on.
The Protagonist said:
As far as Brawl is concerned, I don't give a crap if one of the writers for Brokeback Mountain is writing for this game!!
Then the game's story would be good. Brokeback Mountain was a good movie: Good story, good character development, etc.
The Protagonist said:
I'll forgive you since you like One Piece better than that piece of garbage.

Top Bottom